You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 University of Texas - Houston Application Thread
Started by sector9
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Has any OOS received an interview? I really hope to interview here!
What is the stats for the matriculates here? TheY don't post it on the website.
we filled a class size of 240 this year out of around 4000 applicants.
Actual stats are not out yet, but last year's entering class of 2012 IS interviewees had a 43% acceptance rate at UTH
By comparison, IS applicants that interviewed at A&M and UTSW had acceptance rates of 77% and 37%, respectively.
Historically at UTH (MSAR stats from the last few years):
3500-4000 apply
900-1000 are interviewed
400-500 are offered seats
200-240 matriculate
Generally, 9.5-10% are filled with OOS applicants - for whom they have a much tighter interview-acceptance cycle; they are rolling right from the start (so if you get an interview your chances are much greater that you will be offered a seat)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
we filled a class size of 240 this year out of around 4000 applicants.
Actual stats are not out yet, but last year's entering class of 2012 IS interviewees had a 43% acceptance rate at UTH
By comparison, IS applicants that interviewed at A&M and UTSW had acceptance rates of 77% and 37%, respectively.
Historically at UTH (MSAR stats from the last few years):
3500-4000 apply
900-1000 are interviewed
400-500 are offered seats
200-240 matriculate
Generally, 9.5-10% are filled with OOS applicants - for whom they have a much tighter interview-acceptance cycle; they are rolling right from the start (so if you get an interview your chances are much greater that you will be offered a seat)
Thanks! What was the GPA/MCAT for the entering class before you guys?
Thanks! What was the GPA/MCAT for the entering class before you guys?
I don't recall specifically but this info is easily found on USNWR or the MSAR . I'd recommend investing in either one if you are applying this year and those kind of stats are of interest to you. Also there are a few places on here to search in. The "Republic of Texas...." pre-allo forum from each year is pretty fruitful for this as well as past years school-specific application threads. People inevitably offer-up published stats that they have access to. TMDSAS publishes a Texas wide stat-sheet as well which gives a pretty good scope of info.
Here is something we put together last year that I think everyone will find useful in choosing where to apply.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ig1li1udxkq7731/Medical School Matriculants Data.xlsx
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ig1li1udxkq7731/Medical School Matriculants Data.xlsx
Last edited:
It's going to be somewhere in the 3.6-3.8 GPA with a 30-32 MCAT. Fairly standard.Thanks! What was the GPA/MCAT for the entering class before you guys?
Interview Invite today. Scheduled for October 4th. Options were September 20th, 27th, and October 4th. IS, 3.7+/35
Here is something we put together last year that I think everyone will find useful in choosing where to apply.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ig1li1udxkq7731/Medical School Matriculants Data.xlsx
How accurate is this? I remember there was a similar doc that was posted a few years ago, but it was banned due to intellectual property.
still no OOS II??
I was wondering the same thing. I have asked twice and no one has responded.
Does anyone know if UT-Houston typically interviews IS first?
II today! In State, scheduled for 9/20. 3.7gpa 33 MCAT
May 31st, I guess my application spent some time in the "review again later" pile since I didn't get an earlier interview.
May 31st, I guess my application spent some time in the "review again later" pile since I didn't get an earlier interview.
👍 Grats. Until I see some others with iis who were transmitted in Aug I'm going to assume they just haven't looked at me yet 😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering the same thing. I have asked twice and no one has responded.
Does anyone know if UT-Houston typically interviews IS first?
Hey Smile8888 and runningdude,
Let me preface this by saying I'm not 100% certain of my response which is why I was kind of waiting to see if someone else would answer before me. I don't believe they purposefully wait longer to interview OOS applicants.
Keep a few of things in mind: 1) not all applicants are on SDN (and even those who are dont always choose to share the details of their application cycle) so there is a definite possibility that OOS students have already interviewed.
2) We've only had 2 interview days. From what I'm seeing in others' posts there is still a date left as an option in this month. We also interview into the beginning of Jan. There's still time.
3) At the end of the day, at least 90% of our class has to be comprised of TX residents so you're going to see that the vast majority of interviews will go to IS applicants.
Again, our interview season JUST started. There is still time! Best of luck to the both of you!
Hey Smile8888 and runningdude,
Let me preface this by saying I'm not 100% certain of my response which is why I was kind of waiting to see if someone else would answer before me. I don't believe they purposefully wait longer to interview OOS applicants.
Keep a few of things in mind: 1) not all applicants are on SDN (and even those who are dont always choose to share the details of their application cycle) so there is a definite possibility that OOS students have already interviewed.
2) We've only had 2 interview days. From what I'm seeing in others' posts there is still a date left as an option in this month. We also interview into the beginning of Jan. There's still time.
3) At the end of the day, at least 90% of our class has to be comprised of TX residents so you're going to see that the vast majority of interviews will go to IS applicants.
Again, our interview season JUST started. There is still time! Best of luck to the both of you!
Thanks for the reply.
I wish I had realized before that submitting early was so essential. I just submitted yesterday 9/16 and transmitted today 9/17.
Does anyone know if it's still possible for me to get an interview? I have great stats (4.00 GPA, 36 MCAT), unique ECs (Formula SAE, robotics, maker), and good clinical experience (hospital volunteering, shadowing), but I feel so stupid for entering the application cycle so late, ugh!
UT Houston is my top choice. I hope my chances of admission weren't ruined just because I submitted later than everyone else.
Does anyone know if it's still possible for me to get an interview? I have great stats (4.00 GPA, 36 MCAT), unique ECs (Formula SAE, robotics, maker), and good clinical experience (hospital volunteering, shadowing), but I feel so stupid for entering the application cycle so late, ugh!
UT Houston is my top choice. I hope my chances of admission weren't ruined just because I submitted later than everyone else.
I wish I had realized before that submitting early was so essential. I just submitted yesterday 9/16 and transmitted today 9/17.
Does anyone know if it's still possible for me to get an interview? I have great stats (4.00 GPA, 36 MCAT), unique ECs (Formula SAE, robotics, maker), and good clinical experience (hospital volunteering, shadowing), but I feel so stupid for entering the application cycle so late, ugh!
UT Houston is my top choice. I hope my chances of admission weren't ruined just because I submitted later than everyone else.
It's always possible. Your chances just decrease because they're already looking at a lot of other applications.
If it doesn't work out this cycle just apply earlier next year. But since they haven't given many interviews out, I'm sure they're still reviewing a lot of applications.
Lunch on interview day = awesome! Delicious fajitas and chocolate cake!! Very involved faculty and students---LOTS of reasons to really love this school. Best of luck to everyone applying. And remember to bring your appetite on interview day!! Because they will feed you ( or try) at least three times during the day 🙂
It was probably the best chocolate cake I have ever eaten.
and people made fun when I mentioned the chocolate cake.
as a student you have the chance to get one of ~10 spots at lunch on interview day where you're guaranteed cake. those spots are very hard to get. as a tour guide on interview day I came up with a little scheme to get cake, usually by sitting next to a girl who looked like she wouldn't eat it.
the cake is good.
as a student you have the chance to get one of ~10 spots at lunch on interview day where you're guaranteed cake. those spots are very hard to get. as a tour guide on interview day I came up with a little scheme to get cake, usually by sitting next to a girl who looked like she wouldn't eat it.
the cake is good.
Interview invite!!! It came 30 minutes after one from San Antonio. So I'm pretty much in small pieces at the moment. DREAM SCHOOL RIGHT HERE!
Transmitted 6-17
Transmitted 6-17
Interview invite!!! It came 30 minutes after one from San Antonio. So I'm pretty much in small pieces at the moment. DREAM SCHOOL RIGHT HERE!
Transmitted 6-17
Congrats! Do you mind share your stats?
Congrats! Do you mind share your stats?
Ya no problem. IS, 3.5, 30, non-trad, bunches of clinical research with publications.
Interview invite!!! It came 30 minutes after one from San Antonio. So I'm pretty much in small pieces at the moment. DREAM SCHOOL RIGHT HERE!
Transmitted 6-17
Interview was mind blowing! I hope to be classmates!
Ya no problem. IS, 3.5, 30, non-trad, bunches of clinical research with publications.
Any OOS interview invite?
TMDSAS Stats page.....
http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/application-statistics.html
http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/application-statistics.html
Congrats! Do you mind share your stats?
No word here for me and I'm OOS
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Finally broke the cold spell! II (see MDApps)
It is much better to have confidential letters. It is assumed that if a letter is not confidential, it may not be quite true; confidential letters are the trusted ones.Hi, Does anyone know how much does it matter that letters of evaluation are confidential or not?
How much better is it to waive the right to access letters on TMDSAS?
Would that affect admission chances much?
Thanks.
Got the II email Friday; I picked the Oct. 16th date since I usually have stuff going on Thursday nights and didn't want to plan a Friday one around it.
Hi, Does anyone know how much does it matter that letters of evaluation are confidential or not?
How much better is it to waive the right to access letters on TMDSAS?
Would that affect admission chances much?
Thanks.
It is better to waive the rights.
Other than Ifeay, did anyone else, whose application was complete in August, get an II yet?Interview Invite! Scary complete email received 08/22
Last edited:
Mine was transmitted in July, and I haven't heard a peep
Same here.
Early august transmitted here and I haven't heard from houston yet either (ii's at 4 other schools but I may not be competitive here. Who knows)
Same here, transmitted early july, did not receive complete email til August. My stats are above avg and I have not heard either so I doubt that it is because you are not competitive.Early august transmitted here and I haven't heard from houston yet either (ii's at 4 other schools but I may not be competitive here. Who knows)
submitted late july...got interview invite on tuesday for the second week of october
submitted late july...got interview invite on tuesday for the second week of october
Congrats! IS or OOS?
submitted late july...got interview invite on tuesday for the second week of october
Stats would be nice if you don't mind sharing.
Got the II email Friday; I picked the Oct. 16th date since I usually have stuff going on Thursday nights and didn't want to plan a Friday one around it.
Yay congrats Chillbo! I picked next Friday but I'm bummed we don't get to interview together again
Got an II yesterday!
My stats: IS, 3.87 cGPA, 3.76 sGPA, 32 MCAT. Transmitted on 7/18.
My stats: IS, 3.87 cGPA, 3.76 sGPA, 32 MCAT. Transmitted on 7/18.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got an II yesterday!
My stats: IS, 3.87 cGPA, 3.76 sGPA, 32 MCAT. Transmitted on 7/18.
Congrats! Thanks for sharing stats. Any OOS Interview invite so far?
Does anyone know when the admissions committee meets after interviews? If you get an interview does that mean you've cleared all the MCAT/GPA/extracurricular screenings and now they just want to see if you're personable, but otherwise, they would want to accept you? Might be a silly question, but I will throw it out there anyway.
I know at least for some schools such as TCOM for sure, MCAT and GPA still matter even after you've been invited for an interview. Statistically, the interviewees with higher stats are still more likely to get acceptance offers. I can't find the statistics that I came across a while ago. It was on google. Plus, more than half of the interviewees get rejected. It's not likely that more than half of them are not personable. It's just my opinion.
I have not seen anyone with an MCAT score greater than 35 get an II yet! Is it possible that UT Houston is targeting MCAT scores 29 to 35 figuring that those with greater than 35 are going to choose Baylor or UTSW?
I have not seen anyone with an MCAT score greater than 35 get an II yet! Is it possible that UT Houston is targeting MCAT scores 29 to 35 figuring that those with greater than 35 are going to choose Baylor or UTSW?
It's a holistic process. I don't think they would do this
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K