2013 4-Year Air Force HPSP Dental Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HotDogzNMilk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I thought I would go ahead and officially start this thread as I know the deadline for the next board is February 15. Feel free to post any news/updates/thoughts/advice. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just had my interview today. fingers crossed

Members don't see this ad :)
My recruiter said that Feb 15 was the deadline for the early March board. We should hear back around late March or early April at the earliest. Any idea about how many kits are up for review for the final 15 spots?

Had my interview the other day as well. I'm also curious as to how many people have applied.

Is 15 the official number of open spots? I heard from my recruiter it was 21, but he didn't seem too sure about that number.

So do the boards meet February 15th? I have had my kit completed since early January, but my recruiter said that boards will not meet until April 5th.....

Does anyone know for sure what day the boards are meeting?

Thanks!

Recruiter has to have the application sent in by Friday, February 15th.

I heard from my recruiter that the boards were meeting the first week of March and that we would find out the results mid-March.

I heard the board will meet March 6th and will release results April 5th for 15 spots.

I found this post from last year.
The thing is that it depends on how far down the alternate list you are. For instance, the AF had 14 spots for 4 year scholarships available this year, and then they also select and RANK 10 alternates. Therefore if you are the first or second alternate, you have a reasonable change that 1 or 2 people might have already accepted another scholarship or will decide not to do it. If you are the 10th ranked alternate, however, it is unlikely that 10 of 14 applicants will refuse their selected status.

I heard the release date is April 5th, but my recruiter told me there are only 9-10 spots for the 4 years scholarship...I hope it's 15!

OSU Class of 2017

I found some posts to get an idea of how competitive the 4 Year HSPS will be..I'm speculating less than 10% acceptance rate.

It varies from year to year, but it's not uncommon to have 100+ applicants.
Typical numbers

Army - 300 (has been as high as 350)
Navy - 225 + HSCP 25
Air Force - 200

Much depends on funding. Depending on how many people are in the program, how many have had delays and fallen into new (and unplanned) fiscal years, how much money is available to pay the bonus. They will have to lower the number of scholarships to meet the funding level. Part of HPSP money comes from reserve funds and the medical side has no (or very very little) control over this pot. It is usually the limiting reagent.

Here are some stats of last year's accepted applicants, some are insane.
Just got the call yesterday around 4pm Arizona time. I got selected for the 4 year dental HPSP! 25AA / 27TS / 23PAT / 4.0 gpa from state university. I was fully prepared to re-apply next year because I didn't think I was going to get it after this long of a wait, but somehow it ended up working out. Good luck everyone!

Colorado c/o 2016
Got the call this morning around 9:30am Eastern Time... I got the 4 year dental scholarship! The results are definitely out now so call your recruiters if you haven't already.

DAT: 24.....Air Force-adjusted GPA: 4.0
University of Colorado class of 2016

I got a call from my recruiter around 1 saying i was awarded one of the 4 year HPSP dental scholarships.
DAT AA-23, TS-26, PAT-22
GPA 3.72

UTHSCSA class of 2016
I was accepted for the 4 year dental HPSP. Got the call around 10:45 a.m. EST.

DAT: AA-22,PAT- 21, TS- 21, GPA- 3.72

Best of luck to everyone! I was fortunate enough to have received this scholarship a few years back. If anyone has questions about it feel free to get in touch with me.

Reactions: 1 users
Argh I'm still waiting on one last medical consult! Although I've been approved for a late app I want to get this bad boy out of the way ASAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found some posts to get an idea of how competitive the 4 Year HSPS will be..I'm speculating less than 10% acceptance rate.

Here are some stats of last year's accepted applicants, some are insane.

Looks like 45-50 applicants this year. The board hasn't met yet. Not sure of the actual date, but the 5 April date looks correct.

Looks like 45-50 applicants this year. The board hasn't met yet. Not sure of the actual date, but the 5 April date looks correct.

For how many spots are those 50 applicants competing for?

I can not speak for numbers this year but I know last year there were around nine 4-year Air Force given (graduating class of 2016). We have one girl in my class that received one of them. Myself and two other classmates were notified this past fall that we had received the 3 year Air Force. I believe my recruiter said there ~60 of those given out.

Are the 3-year HPSPs awarded at the same time as the 4years? Anyone know how many are available if so?

Any active duty personnel applying? I'm currently serving on AD and an waiting for the board to convene on 5 Apr.

Did the board meet today?
Based on last year's thread, acceptances were handed out March 13th.
I have deposits down at my states school and a private school, so I'm anxious to find out.

Was told board met yesterday, results posted around April 10.

Wonder why the long wait...

Was told board met yesterday, results posted around April 10.

Wonder why the long wait...

The 10 Apr date was probably set to account for the Active Duty board, which convenes 5 Apr. looks like they will announce all scholarships at the same time.

Hey all,

Good luck! Don't fret if you don't receive the 4 year HPSP, I was #3 on the alternate list last year and although I didn't get a 4 year I did get the 3 year without having to reapply (just had to resign some paperwork) and didn't have to reinterview or anything. I found out a month into starting my first year, which was a huge relief. The same thing happened for another guy in my class, who was not ranked on the alternate list.

I may be a bit biased because I grew up in the AF but you're definitely applying for the right branch! Any HPSP would provide exceptional opportunities for your career, but living situations are a lot nicer with the AF. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about the program!

UW School of Dentistry 2016
3 Year Air Force HPSP recipient

Just got an email from my recruiter saying that the release date is this Monday the 18th!

OSU Class of 2017

My recruiter called today and informed me I received one of EIGHTEEN Air Force HPSP scholarships (not sure if he was referring to both 3-year and 4-year scholarships, but I was rewarded the 4-year).

DAT AA-24
GPA- 3.98

Best of Luck Everyone

Did anyone else receive the scholarship?

Congrats to everyone getting accepted! I'm a 3rd year dental student on a 4-year Air Force HPSP so email (see signature) or PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Was not selected.

:(

Pretty bummed but I guess it was statistically the most likely outcome with so many applicants/few scholarships.

Congrats to whoever does get it.

Edit: If you haven't heard back it's probably not good news, pretty sure everyone who got it would have heard by now.

Was not selected.

:(

Pretty bummed but I guess it was statistically the most likely outcome with so many applicants/few scholarships.

Congrats to whoever does get it.

Edit: If you haven't heard back it's probably not good news, pretty sure everyone who got it would have heard by now.

Did you get on the alternate list?

Nope.

3.91 gpa. 21 aa. Had great letters and interview. Must have just been really competitive this year.

Wow, I'm shocked you're not on the alternate list with those stats. My recruiter says he will know by Monday, so I'll just have to wait. I have a 3.6 gpa and 24 aa so not much hope left for me.

Wow, I'm shocked you're not on the alternate list with those stats. My recruiter says he will know by Monday, so I'll just have to wait. I have a 3.6 gpa and 24 aa so not much hope left for me.

Ya oh well..
Your 24 AA might help you out.

Did you apply to navy/army?

Ya oh well..
Your 24 AA might help you out.

Did you apply to navy/army?

No, just the AF. I'm planning to resubmit for the 3 year if I don't get in this year.

Its crazy how much has changed since I applied for the scholarship 4 years ago. Matrix qualification for anyone with a 3.5 gpa and 19 on the DAT. I didn't even have to get LOR. Crazy what the economy has done to the DOD and dental schools across the country since 2008/2009.

Best of luck to all who have applications pending. Until someone tells you "no" flat out, don't give up hope. Even then there is always a 3 year scholarship.

No, HPSP recipients are not included on that list.

My recruiter sent me an email with the Letter of Acceptance today. In the email he said 15 scholarships are being given this year (different from the 18 he told me when he called).

I just received my rejection. I felt bad till my recruiter told me the Lowest DAT was a 23 and the lowest GPA was a 3.8. I knew competition would be stiff but I didn't think you would have to be in the 99%

Congratulations to those who got in.

I just received my rejection. I felt bad till my recruiter told me the Lowest DAT was a 23 and the lowest GPA was a 3.8. I knew competition would be stiff but I didn't think you would have to be in the 99%

Congratulations to those who got in.

Holy s***. If i would have known all that I don't think I would have applied for the air force or wasted my time with it. I have good enough stats to get into dental school, but I didn't know you had to be a genius just to have a shot at getting accepted... That is a huge bummer I was really looking forward to potentially getting in. For those of you who got rejected, how did you hear back? Was it from your recruiter?

I understand everything is very competitive, but I wish they would take a look at the whole application instead of just accepting people with a 3.9 and 25DAT. Geniuses are not the only people who will make great leaders and great dental students... I am pretty bummed, even though I haven't formally been rejected yet, but with the stats alone of those of you who got accepted, I am almost sure I'll get rejected.

Has there been any movement from the alternate list in past years? Any thoughts?

As I stated in my earlier post I was the #3 alternate and was not accepted for the 4 year but was automatically selected for the 3 year a few months later. There wasn't any movement on the alternate list, but there was also less scholarships offered than this year.

To give a few of you hope, I had a 3.8 and a 19AA (yeah, didn't study much on the DAT) For me it came down to my LORs and experience growing up in the air force - my dad is a F16 pilot. If you're upset about the selection outcome think about WHY you want to join the AF. If its for the money, there are other scholarships out there. But if you really want to serve the 3 year is still a great option, and you have 1 less year of repayment! Ultimately it is your choice. I love military life, and cannot imagine doing anything but military dentistry. My husband-to-be agrees, and we're excited to have some great experiences in the future. But if it is just about getting school paid for, this program probably isn't for you.

UW School of Dentistry C/O 2016
3 Year Air Force HPSP Recipient

I wasn't selected either. most excellent!
25 aa, 3.55 cumulative, 3.61 sci
getting my masters now

I was contacted by my recruiter (via phone) yesterday and given the bad news. He said that they are just going to roll me over for the three year but recommended that I get at least one new letter of rec from someone at d-school. Looks like it's UF for me!

Holy s***. If i would have known all that I don't think I would have applied for the air force or wasted my time with it. I have good enough stats to get into dental school, but I didn't know you had to be a genius just to have a shot at getting accepted... That is a huge bummer I was really looking forward to potentially getting in. For those of you who got rejected, how did you hear back? Was it from your recruiter?

I understand everything is very competitive, but I wish they would take a look at the whole application instead of just accepting people with a 3.9 and 25DAT. Geniuses are not the only people who will make great leaders and great dental students... I am pretty bummed, even though I haven't formally been rejected yet, but with the stats alone of those of you who got accepted, I am almost sure I'll get rejected.

Hello there friend. I am sorry to hear the unfortunate news. I usually don't comment of forums but was compelled to respond to your post. I did receive the 4 yr scholarship and must say my scores are no where near as mentioned above. Below you will find my stats.

If I am able to get it, then Im sure you will as well. If you don't get it this time, keep trying until you do. For future attempts, I suggest you selected a sincere recruiter who will fight for you as mine did. Then really work on your essay..bullet format. Finally review your recommendations. Some of mine that came in where questionable and was disappointed by that. But above all, do your best and leave the rest to the Almighty.

I hope this post was constructive and sincerely wish you the best.

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
― Winston Churchill

My stats: GPA - 3.7, DAT-20, AA-20.

You know, joining the air force is not the only way you can be a 'great leader' and serve the country, you can also do that in the navy or the army as well.

Last edited:
Hello there friend. I am sorry to hear the unfortunate news. I usually don't comment of forums but was compelled to respond to your post. I did receive the 4 yr scholarship and must say my scores are no where near as mentioned above. Below you will find my stats.

If I am able to get it, then Im sure you will as well. If you don't get it this time, keep trying until you do. For future attempts, I suggest you selected a sincere recruiter who will fight for you as mine did. Then really work on your essay..bullet format. Finally review your recommendations. Some of mine that came in where questionable and was disappointed by that. But above all, do your best and leave the rest to the Almighty.

I hope this post was constructive and sincerely wish you the best.

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
― Winston Churchill

My stats: GPA - 3.7, DAT-20, AA-20.

Thank you very much for your kind response. I appreciate you taking the time to write the post, and for the information stated. Again, I have yet to be contacted by my recruiter to tell me where I stand, but I guess there is always hope. My problem isn't my letters of rec, or my essay, I think my downfall will be my grades. I have a 3.52 and a 19AA, which seems like it won't qualify for the AF. The other parts of my application are stellar. I have a letter of recommendation from the president of our university, and two other very strong letters from a professor and my supervisor at the ymca. My personal statement was reviewed by many others, including an army colonel i know. I just think the AF HPSP is a very competitive program, and the majority of the folks chosen will have very high scores and gpa. I was really excited about the Air Force because i feel like i fit best in that division of the armed forces. However, this doesn't mean I don't have a chance at the Army HPSP. My dream is to serve as a medical officer with the armed forces and give back to the folks who serve our country. Hopefully I will be given the opportunity to do so at some point. Congratulations on your acceptance!

Koreano, thank you for your input. I understand this and that is why I am also applying for the Army HPSP. I just thought I fit best in the AF, which is why I am disappointed to see the gpa/dat of those accepted to the program. Again, I have not yet been officially denied, but with the scores of those above who have been accepted, it doesn't seem likely I will be chosen - even with my great application.

Thank you to everyone, and congratulations to those of you accepted to the program. Be sure to serve the men and women of the AF with all you have, as they deserve it.

I wasn't selected either...this will make me focused during my D1

I was notified Friday that I received the 4yr scholarship! Best of luck to everyone else.

++++++++++++++++++
GPA 4.0
DAT AA-22 TS-23 PAT-24

Congratulations to all who received a scholarship.

For those of you that didn't, don't give up yet. Last year, they were able to roll some over to 3-year scholarships; somewhat automatically.

The AF scholarships have gotten very competitive. The matrix qualification system proved to be a bust. Some people met the minimum qualification for automatic selection and then went to dental school and bombed out. Remember, getting the scholarship is just the first part. Now you need to study hard and do as well as you can. Never know if you might want to specialize or not. Also, don't forget to stay in shape. Right now, the AF takes fitness very seriously. You will take a PT test at COT. If you don't do well it's reported all the way to the HQ USAF. Not a good way to start a career.

Was notified of my rejection last week...

3.9 GPA 22/23/22 DAT and was accepted to all dental schools applied

I was told by my recruiter that I just missed the cut. Good luck to the rest of the applicants. I have my fingers crossed for my upcoming Navy HPSP decision.

The AFHPSP Active Duty Board convenes tomorrow. I'm praying for great results.