2014-2015 Georgetown GEMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys not sure how they want us to fill this out ......what did you guys do for the part where it says:
Previous Courses

Please indicate the following: (include formal & informal courses, credit & non-credit courses)
Anatomy
Institution Yr # weeks final grade

Is it like Sophomore 14 weeks A? BTW I am from DC area good luck to you guys!
I think it's like the year you took it and length etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I am from Maryland and I majored in Biology....I agree we should get acquainted

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice to meet you all! I submitted my application on 2/18 and I got a letter back saying they would not accept my letters, because they came from interfolio. I still only have one letter submitted so far. This LOR really cripples those of us who have been out of school for a while. Does anyone know if the admissions committee will look at your application before all of the LORs are in? Good luck to everyone!

Nice to meet you all! I submitted my application on 2/18 and I got a letter back saying they would not accept my letters, because they came from interfolio. I still only have one letter submitted so far. This LOR really cripples those of us who have been out of school for a while. Does anyone know if the admissions committee will look at your application before all of the LORs are in? Good luck to everyone!

Sorry to hear, Jamalee. I'm in the exact same boat as you. I emailed old profs who wrote me letters to ask if they can fill out the GEMS form and no response :/ Maybe you can email the GEMS committee but they sound pretty firm on their requirements....

Sorry to hear, Jamalee. I'm in the exact same boat as you. I emailed old profs who wrote me letters to ask if they can fill out the GEMS form and no response :/ Maybe you can email the GEMS committee but they sound pretty firm on their requirements....

I emailed them asking a few questions, including one along the lines of "what if I can't get my recommenders to fill out the form". Every question was answered but that one. I figured I shouldn't ask again drop, they probably didn't answer for a reason. :/ Good luck on getting your letters @ussmediprise

@xxjamaleexx @ussmediprise I think I read somewhere that if you've been out of school for a while you can substitute the letter of recommendation from a professor with a boss from work. But don't quote me just yet, I'll look more into it.

@FutureMD827 Thanks! maybe this was before the GEMS req'd form?

@xxjamaleexx I think they've probably got a lot of applicants asking the same question and are seeing that a lot of people are being affected by it. Thanks for sharing what you know! Good luck to you too! You still need one more letter, right?

Lots of support on this forum. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I am in same position as everyone else. been out of school for 2 years and working and etc. having a hard time getting professors to respond. i got one of them to respond via their TA.

the other one hasnt responded. i am gonna try calling.

very had to get these LOR

I just checked. I read the information wrong it absolutely has to be be someone who taught you in either science or math courses.

Yankee26
I entered my information like this:
my university name, year that i took molecular bio, # of weeks of the semester, grade

I hope this helps!

@FutureMD827 Thank you for checking!

@ussmediprise That is exactly what I was thinking. Hopefully they will take notes, and change it. Yeah I only need one more. The sad part is I added for professors hoping for a 50% response rate... so far only 25% :(.

@FutureMD827 Thank you for checking!

@ussmediprise That is exactly what I was thinking. Hopefully they will take notes, and change it. Yeah I only need one more. The sad part is I added for professors hoping for a 50% response rate... so far only 25% :(.

@xxjamaleexx They actually changed it this year. I was interested in the program last year and remembered they allowed letters to be mailed in from employers, physicians, professors, interfolio, etc. I don't know why they changed it for this year. Biochem used to be recommended but now its required too. I think its because the program is becoming more competitive. Anyway, we still have 10 days so here's to hoping!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone,

I know I have been a little quiet. I am from Atlanta, GA and majored in biology. I have been out of school for 3 years. Has anyone received an application complete notification yet?

just submitted my app.

here is hoping my recommendation people actually send in their recommendations.

the requirement set by GEMS is ridiculous. what happens if my recommenders don't submit? will they accept a committee packet then?

also my stats are much higher than their published averages. don't think I will get in.

Anybody else applying from a economic disadvantage status

just submitted my app.

the requirement set by GEMS is ridiculous. what happens if my recommenders don't submit? will they accept a committee packet then?

also my stats are much higher than their published averages. don't think I will get in.

Hey QnnaQ,

I think if your stats are much higher that doesn't neccesarily mean that you cannot get into the program. I think you will be fine as long as you get your recommendation in. They probably have people with stats on the higher in and the lower end. Remember, those numbers are only the average. :)

just submitted my app.

Hi QnnaQ,
Blessedserenity89 is right. just because your stats are above what is posted as their averages, doesn't mean that you don't stand a chance. Remember you still have your entire application (essays and LORs) to show why you would be excellent for this program, so keep the hope alive! Since you submitted, we are required to send in official transcripts right? (sort of a dumb question)

Hi QnnaQ,
Blessedserenity89 is right. just because your stats are above what is posted as their averages, doesn't mean that you don't stand a chance. Remember you still have your entire application (essays and LORs) to show why you would be excellent for this program, so keep the hope alive! Since you submitted, we are required to send in official transcripts right? (sort of a dumb question)

official transcript or upload a processed AMCAS application.

if you submit AMCAS you can download PDF and submit that

official transcript or upload a processed AMCAS application.

if you submit AMCAS you can download PDF and submit that

Hey QannaQ,

Where you from an what was your major? You may have answered it previously, but I did not see it.

Excellente! Thanks for the verifying QnnaQ!
I also second Blessedserenity89's questions!

@xxjamaleexx They actually changed it this year. I was interested in the program last year and remembered they allowed letters to be mailed in from employers, physicians, professors, interfolio, etc. I don't know why they changed it for this year. Biochem used to be recommended but now its required too. I think its because the program is becoming more competitive. Anyway, we still have 10 days so here's to hoping!
I knew I saw that they excepted LOR's from employers. Maybe it was from another GEMS thread?

Hello everyone,

I'm a Biomedical Sciences Majore and I'm from Miami, Fl.

i am a molecular bio major from California. went to one of the UCs (davis)

Oh okay. Hey everyone! Has anyone heard anything else from the former GEMS lately?

I havent heard anything; I wish they were more active like in the past year threads :yeahright:

@BlessedSerenity89 You are right about loans. If you go to the GEMS website, click on the Financial Aid link on the left in the box. It will expand and provide you with a GEMS Financial Aid link in that same box. There are basically Fed loans, private loans, or an institutional loan to help you cover the $21k cost of the program (if you include living expenses, it gives you a total budget of $48k).

New to the thread, an art history and neuroscience double major from California.

Would any current GEMS students be able to tell us around when they were able to receive the first 'installment' of their financial aid? (relative to the start of the program?)

@BlessedSerenity89 You are right about loans. If you go to the GEMS website, click on the Financial Aid link on the left in the box. It will expand and provide you with a GEMS Financial Aid link in that same box. There are basically Fed loans, private loans, or an institutional loan to help you cover the $21k cost of the program (if you include living expenses, it gives you a total budget of $48k).
Thank you that was actually what I meant to ask lol.

neither of my recommenders have submitted my recommendation yet

what happens if they don't submit by march 28th?

neither of my recommenders have submitted my recommendation yet

what happens if they don't submit by march 28th?
I would consult with the GEMS committee. No one here can give you a for sure answer to something like that.

Good luck to you guys!

@QnnaQ It says specifically on the GEMS application that only completed apps will be reviewed by the committee, so without recs I don't think they will look at your app at all....

Last edited:
i think the LOR requirement is unfair for students who have been out of school for a few years.

nearly impossible to go back to school and track down professors and get them to fill out a recommendation form.

Good luck to you as well prise! I'm sad to hear you won't be applying along with us as I do remember seeing you post in the other threads of past years. I agree with you @QnnaQ, it was quite frustrating and difficult to find the LORs, but I suppose it makes sense because this program is so competitive..more so than I thought. I hope your recommenders come through for you all, we still have 7 days left!!

@medschoolbound1 Do you know how financial aid is taken care of for the GEMS program

You are considered a graduate student and should be eligible for the Graduate Plus loans and Stafford loans I think. Someone else asked about installments, its coincides with when school starts as long as all of your paperwork has been completed.

You are considered a graduate student and should be eligible for the Graduate Plus loans and Stafford loans I think. Someone else asked about installments, its coincides with when school starts as long as all of your paperwork has been completed.
thank you for the info.

@medschoolbound1 Thank you for your post :happy: I have another question along those lines: is it possible to pay for the gems program fully (both tuition and living) on the stafford and grad plus loans? I'm asking because I'm nervous about being eligible for private loans. Any help= greatly appreciated !!

Can someone post the address we are suppose to send updated transcripts to?

Hi everyone! first time posting on this thread. I live in NYC and I (finally) submitted last week.
We're 2 days away from hard deadline!

Any ideas on when interview calls go out?? (sorry if someone's already asked this)

Good Luck!!:)

Hi everyone! first time posting on this thread. I live in NYC and I (finally) submitted last week.
We're 2 days away from hard deadline!

Any ideas on when interview calls go out?? (sorry if someone's already asked this)

Good Luck!!:)
Hello and welcome :) I don't think the start review applications until after the dead line so I believe mid April to May is when invites should potentially be going out.

and now the waiting game….*cue jeopardy theme song*

Hey everyone!

Also applying this cycle. This year's forum has been quietest from all the previous years. Wanted to wish everyone good luck. I guess they start reviewing apps tomorrow.