2014-2015 Georgetown GEMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have an idea of the GEMS school year "semesters"? I know the program begins in early July, so does this mean July-December and then January - May? or is it July-May? trying to gauge the # of breaks built in to the program.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!

Also applying this cycle. This year's forum has been quietest from all the previous years. Wanted to wish everyone good luck. I guess they start reviewing apps tomorrow.

It has been really quiet. I wonder if this is a refection of the number of applicants?

probably not.

Does anyone have an idea of the GEMS school year "semesters"? I know the program begins in early July, so does this mean July-December and then January - May? or is it July-May? trying to gauge the # of breaks built in to the program.
I would like to think there's a summer portion and then two semesters. so may be july to august then either late august or september to december and january to May. Just guessing though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since this thread is a little quite how about sharing how we all found out about GEMS.

I found out through a friend that's in medical school.

I found it by looking at different postbacc programs on the AAMC website. BTW got an application complete email today.

i havent gotten a complete email.

had an issue with LOR. hopefully it all gets in.

anybody know if you can update your app? just realized i left out some volunteer work I did over the summer cause it was not on my AMCAS

anybody know if you can update your app? just realized i left out some volunteer work I did over the summer cause it was not on my AMCAS

I don't think you can update your app. I think once it is submitted, it is pretty final. I'de email them to make sure

I e-mailed them about making some updates to my application, and they allowed it. Just e-mail them about what you want to update. :)

Hello everyone. I'm from the Baltimore area. It's good to know there are others out there to connect with. My GEMS application is in the review process. A little nervous.

Does anyone know
Hey everyone, I am a former GEMS/current M1 at GUSOM and I just happened to be on SDN today replying to a message. Maybe some current GEMS will post on here too but let me just give you a quick run down/response to some of the more frequently asked questions.

First of all GEMS is INTENSE, but totally worth it!!!!! Always check with the website for requirements because things get changed from year to year and I don't want to lead anyone astray. You should read the mission of GEMS before you spend your money applying because the admissions committee does a great job of making sure the accepted students really mesh with the mission of GEMS, the mission of Georgetown School of Medicine, etc.

As far as a typical day in the life of a GEMS student (this is a very popular SDN question lol) you can plan on GEMS being your job, meaning you will be unavailable from 8-5 daily and the day is filled with a variety of activities including lectures, small groups, etc. If invited for an interview you will learn more about it then, that is all that I can say about that.

If accepted to GEMS you do not retake the MCAT during the GEMS year; most people aim to matriculate at Georgetown and about 70-75% of each class does.

I will TRY to check this thread at least weekly during the application cycle (I apologize in advance if its longer than that) and you can also direct message me and I will try and get back with you. Good Luck everyone!!!

The assessment test given on interview day, what is it like?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone. me are from the Baltimore area. It's good to know there are others out there to connect with. My GEMS application is in the reveiw process. A little nervous.

lol.

glad you guys are having fun with my typo.

LMAO we have some hilarious people on this this thread

Hello everyone. me are from the Baltimore area. It's good to know there are others out there to connect with. My GEMS application is in the reveiw process. A little nervous.

Hey there!

Mine still says "complete". I wonder when/if it will change to review..

Those of you that got a status update saying your application is in review, when did you submit?

Hey Everyone! Just to answer @FutureMD827 question. I heard about GEMS through a friend as well. I'm from Atlanta and I was a Bio major. Let's get some juicy convos going! Who here has a significant other and how do they feel about you wanting to go to med school?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Everyone! Just to answer @FutureMD827 question. I heard about GEMS through a friend as well. I'm from Atlanta and I was a Bio major. Let's get some juicy convos going! Who here has a significant other and how do they feel about you wanting to go to med school?

My S.O is very supportive but i don't think he quite understands the time commitment and it's kind of hard to explain it...poor thing lol. It'll all work out for the best i think. How about you? or anyone else?

My S.O is very supportive but i don't think he quite understands the time commitment and it's kind of hard to explain it...poor thing lol. It'll all work out for the best i think. How about you? or anyone else?

LOL i know it is very true. I am married so he has no other choice but to understand the time commitment hahaha. But yes, if we get in this program (fingers closed for all of us) and go into medicine school, we are practically going to be studying ALL THE TIME. So lets start getting ready for it and enjoying this summer :)

My S.O. is also very supportive and he is happy that I am pursuing my dream. It makes him happy to see me happy. He is from DC so he really wants me to get into GEMS so that I can stay here near him lol. I know alot of female physicians date MDs, but I actually love not having an S.O. that is not in medicine. He works in sports.It balances me, and keeps me more calm. I think if I was dating an MD, we both would be all over the place. Anyone else?

What are some other programs y'all have applied to that are similar to GEMS?

My application status is marked as complete. I am assuming it's because I submitted the app on March 28, few hours before the deadline lol. I know I was risking but I did not want to pay and submit until my letter of recommendations were uploaded. I hope that doesn't matter and they consider everyone's apps equally even the ones that were submitted towards the end of the deadline.

Also, I noticed that a lot of people seem to be from DC/VA/MD area during this year. Over the past years, there seemed to be only one or two. As far as S.O. question goes, I am single and ready to mingle. JK! Really hoping to get into GEMS and study my brains out. So won't really have much time to date and stuff.

I hope everyone on this forum hears some good news soon. It's only April 3rd but I am already starting to freak out more.

Reactions: 1 user
My application status is marked as complete. I am assuming it's because I submitted the app on March 28, few hours before the deadline lol. I know I was risking but I did not want to pay and submit until my letter of recommendations were uploaded. I hope that doesn't matter and they consider everyone's apps equally even the ones that were submitted towards the end of the deadline.

Also, I noticed that a lot of people seem to be from DC/VA/MD area during this year. Over the past years, there seemed to be only one or two. As far as S.O. question goes, I am single and ready to mingle. JK! Really hoping to get into GEMS and study my brains out. So won't really have much time to date and stuff.

I hope everyone on this forum hears some good news soon. It's only April 3rd but I am already starting to freak out more.

Phew! I beginning to think I was the only one on here without a S.O. By the way I don't think they start reviewing until the deadline has passed so I think you are pretty safe.

Also I kinda want it to be the end of april already so we can start getting interview invites.

My app still hasn't been changed to "in review"? Its been a week since I got the complete status....

Those of you who's apps are in review, how did you find out? Online? Email? Call?

Those of you who's apps are in review, how did you find out? Online? Email? Call?

You can check by logging into your app and you will be able to see the status of your app. Mine still reads "GEMS-COMPLETE" but I think by now it should be "IN REVIEW"

You can check by logging into your app and you will be able to see the status of your app. Mine still reads "GEMS-COMPLETE" but I think by now it should be "IN REVIEW"
Okay thank you. Maybe they didn't start reviewing or the website hasn't been updated since it's still looks like it is accepting applications

Phew! I beginning to think I was the only one on here without a S.O. By the way I don't think they start reviewing until the deadline has passed so I think you are pretty safe.

Also I kinda want it to be the end of april already so we can start getting interview invites.

No, you are not the only one. lol I think you are right, they should have started reviewing apps after the deadline passed. But i remember seeing on one of the posts from few years ago (comment from former GEMS student) that it's a rolling admissions. But that can't be true, i think.

Yeah, I kind of want it to be end of April too so I know of a decision, hopefully a positive one. If not, I have to motivate myself for the MCAT.

Hahaha I totally ditto your answer to the S.O. question..... to focused on Med.

Also as far as I know they are in review, at least that is what my application states.

Okay thank you. Maybe they didn't start reviewing or the website hasn't been updated since it's still looks like it is accepting applications

Mine finally changed to In Review. Lol. I really hope its not rolling admissions! Well, maybe the admissions is, but not the interview invites?

Yeah according to last year's thread invites went out 2nd week of April....

My status changed to "in review" as well. That makes you even more nervous. I think the decision is made by a committee so it's at least 4-5 people, and majority vote decides whether you are called for an interview. So, that's a good thing.

Mine switched to in review as well. And now I'm starting to get anxious.

I seriously hope this not rolling admissions but I read somewhere that they won't review until all applications are in.

Mine is also in review-Yippee!

I have a strong feeling that calls for interviews will start going out as of monday 4/7. Fingers crossed!

Hey everyone...i just noticed this thread! So glad to see other applicants going through the same stuff as I am (nervous anticipation)!

Hey Y'all. I submitted my app the week it was due. When I check my status on the website dashboard it still says "APPLICATION STATUS: SUBMITTED." It has never changed to a "GEMS Complete" or "In Review" status. I know my app is complete because I received an email confirming submission AND another "Application Complete" email about 15 mins later.

All rec letters are in, essays done, fee paid.......

Am I the only one with this problem? Now I'm getting worried. lol

i think that as long as you got the completed-application-forwarded-for-review email you should be fine....it might take a bit for the status to change (i don't think its automatic like the emails)...if you're still unsure you should email them...but again i think you're fine

Hey Y'all. I submitted my app the week it was due. When I check my status on the website dashboard it still says "APPLICATION STATUS: SUBMITTED." It has never changed to a "GEMS Complete" or "In Review" status. I know my app is complete because I received an email confirming submission AND another "Application Complete" email about 15 mins later.

I agree, i think you're fine. They might need to manually change the application status in their system so they may be doing it in batches.

Hmm I think you're reading it wrong? On top is says APPLICATION STATUS SUBMITTED but right below that it should say GEMS COMPLETED and GEMS IN REVIEW. Like, right below the box.... The application status stays the same.