2014-2015 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I have some questions that have probably been answered before but I can't seem to find them in the thread :/ so I apologize now if this is redundant:

Is Harvard's interview open or closed? And is the interview style more of a casual conversation or do they ask pretty difficult questions (ethics based, quizzing you about your app, etc)?

And feedback would be amazing and really appreciated! Thank you!

Both of my interviews were open-file. I would say the interview style is conversational; however, the one interview I had with a student didn't seem to flow as well but I think that was particular to that specific interview and not indicative of the style at Harvard in general.

No ethical questions. All questions were based on my app so make sure you cover that when you prepare.

I believe they told us about 1/5 of the admissions committee is students so it's simply the luck of the draw if you have a student interviewer.
 
Both of my interviews were open-file. I would say the interview style is conversational; however, the one interview I had with a student didn't seem to flow as well but I think that was particular to that specific interview and not indicative of the style at Harvard in general.

No ethical questions. All questions were based on my app so make sure you cover that when you prepare.

I believe they told us about 1/5 of the admissions committee is students so it's simply the luck of the draw if you have a student interviewer.
Wonderful!! Thank you so much for helping me out, I really appreciate it and best of luck on the rest of your interviews!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i have a question. if we were invited for an interview here but have below average stats (like below 10% percentile for both GPA and MCAT) and am not URM, are schools like harvard expecting us to explain why our gpa/mcat are so low compared to their averages? or is it that once you receive an II from them, it means that they have decided to accept/look past your low numbers, and dont want an explanation?
 
i have a question. if we were invited for an interview here but have below average stats (like below 10% percentile for both GPA and MCAT) and am not URM, are schools like harvard expecting us to explain why our gpa/mcat are so low compared to their averages? or is it that once you receive an II from them, it means that they have decided to accept/look past your low numbers, and dont want an explanation?
If they invited you to interview they clearly aren't that worried about your numbers. If they ask about grades or scores, you should certainly have a reasonable answer for them, but talking about these things unprompted is probably not going to add anything to your application.
 
i have a question. if we were invited for an interview here but have below average stats (like below 10% percentile for both GPA and MCAT) and am not URM, are schools like harvard expecting us to explain why our gpa/mcat are so low compared to their averages? or is it that once you receive an II from them, it means that they have decided to accept/look past your low numbers, and dont want an explanation?

I always look at the interview like your interviewer is going to be your advocate in your room. If they ask you about it, it's not because you aren't good enough to go there (you obviously are you got an II) but it's because when THEY get asked in that room, they need something to say. You will come up in discussion. If you tell them you got a low score in orgo because it's not your subject, that's what they will say. If you tell them you got a low score in orgo because you had issues with x y and z and ended up learning a b c, then that's what they will say.

Get it? Have answers and reasons and turn it into a conversation about your strengths.
 
i have a question. if we were invited for an interview here but have below average stats (like below 10% percentile for both GPA and MCAT) and am not URM, are schools like harvard expecting us to explain why our gpa/mcat are so low compared to their averages? or is it that once you receive an II from them, it means that they have decided to accept/look past your low numbers, and dont want an explanation?
I doubt a school like Harvard would waste a valuable interview seat on an applicant that did not have a shot at an acceptance. Sure, low numbers might make an acceptance a little harder, but you should be confident. Harvard CHOSE you out of 1000s of other well qualified applicants. Be proud of this and good luck!
 
Is it safe to say that they've probably filled up all the MSTP interview slots by now? There's two dates in early December and one in January left according to the website.

Not sure, but I have heard Harvard finishes all interviews by end of January, i.e.,no interviews scheduled in February at all.
 
Is it safe to say that they've probably filled up all the MSTP interview slots by now? There's two dates in early December and one in January left according to the website.

i've been wondering/worried about this as well...harvard would be a dream for mstp. they have exactly what i want to study but alas, the end of the cycle is fast approaching 😵
 
i have a question. if we were invited for an interview here but have below average stats (like below 10% percentile for both GPA and MCAT) and am not URM, are schools like harvard expecting us to explain why our gpa/mcat are so low compared to their averages? or is it that once you receive an II from them, it means that they have decided to accept/look past your low numbers, and dont want an explanation?
I recently interviewed at another ivy league school where my scores are below the lowest 10% for both GPA and MCAT (my LizzyM score is around 66). My grades never came up.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Serious question here (native Floridian) - is 36 degrees cold enough to wear a winter coat and scarf? Thankfully someone is lending me them. I don't want to look like a total newb, but that's pretty cold. Also, when we are travelling around the area for the interviews and we arrive, do we take the heavy coat off and put it somewhere or carry it around? Sorry if this is a dumb question - I am clueless with winter etiquette. Never seen snow before.

The morning I arrive, it'll be 19 degrees. 81 degrees here in Florida today...

Edit: My phone just updated, actually it'll be 16 degrees :android:

Doesn't really matter... like actually. Wear whatever, dump it off at the office if needed. Just go to your interview with a suit on.
 
Serious question here (native Floridian) - is 36 degrees cold enough to wear a winter coat and scarf? Thankfully someone is lending me them. I don't want to look like a total newb, but that's pretty cold. Also, when we are travelling around the area for the interviews and we arrive, do we take the heavy coat off and put it somewhere or carry it around? Sorry if this is a dumb question - I am clueless with winter etiquette. Never seen snow before.

The morning I arrive, it'll be 19 degrees. 81 degrees here in Florida today...

Edit: My phone just updated, actually it'll be 16 degrees :android:

36 deg is definitely cold enough to wear a winter coat + scarf! At least from a Californian's point of view haha. Upon arrival at the office of admissions, you can take off the heavy coat and there's usually a closet to store travel bags and coats. If you head outside at some point later in the day for interviews or tours, the admissions staff or student tour guides tend to be good about letting you know so you can grab your coat. I haven't interviewed at Harvard yet, so this is based off my experiences with other schools. 🙂
 
Anyone know the best way to get from the airport to the medical center by T?
You can take the silver line (bus service) from Logan to South Station, where you can get on the red line (subway). You would have to switch to the green line (another subway line) at the Park Street stop so you can get to Harvard (the Longwood Medical area stop).It's doable, just long.

Maybe other interviewers who flew in to Boston have a better way?
 
You can take the silver line (bus service) from Logan to South Station, where you can get on the red line (subway). You would have to switch to the green line (another subway line) at the Park Street stop so you can get to Harvard (the Longwood Medical area stop).It's doable, just long.

Maybe other interviewers who flew in to Boston have a better way?

That is correct. More specifically, it's Silver line 1. Once you get to Park Street, take the Green line E towards Heath Street and stop at Longwood Medical.
 
That is correct. More specifically, it's Silver line 1. Once you get to Park Street, take the Green line E towards Heath Street and stop at Longwood Medical.
This is what I did and I found it to be not even that long. Best of Luck!
 
Invited to interview for New Pathways earlier this week. Complete in August. LizzyM < 76, non-URM. Very very surprised. I work at a Harvard affiliated hospital and several of my (very strong) reccs were from faculty, so that probably helped.

At the same time, the cut is brutal after the interview (~20% accepted, way lower than any other school I've been to). We'll see what happens.
 
Invited to interview for New Pathways earlier this week. Complete in August. LizzyM < 76, non-URM. Very very surprised. I work at a Harvard affiliated hospital and several of my (very strong) reccs were from faculty, so that probably helped.

At the same time, the cut is brutal after the interview (~20% accepted, way lower than any other school I've been to). We'll see what happens.
Congrats! I'm sure you'll do great.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview invite today!!!! I'm so excited this was my first one so far!!! I'm an international applicant and I was complete around October.

Non-URM, LizzyM ~75, Canadian

Congrats!
Can you be a little more specific on when you where completed?
 
For those who sent in updates, how did you submit them? The online portal says you can only submit two documents but is this pre-post inteview .. or?
 
+1, but I got a Harvard solicitation letter in the mail today to apply?… lol

I just got one too. I saw the little letter from Harvard Medical School and assumed it was my rejection. Nope. Apparently due to my high MCAT and economically disadvantaged status, I'm exactly the type of student they're looking for and I should consider applying! Ha ha.

Between that and the emails in October about the system being down for maintenance, I'm starting to think Harvard just likes toying with us for kicks.
 
I just got one too. I saw the little letter from Harvard Medical School and assumed it was my rejection. Nope. Apparently due to my high MCAT and economically disadvantaged status, I'm exactly the type of student they're looking for and I should consider applying! Ha ha.

Between that and the emails in October about the system being down for maintenance, I'm starting to think Harvard just likes toying with us for kicks.

I thought it was a rejection too! My mom and dad were like, "babe it was a long shot, but go you for trying." lol So supportive.


Just curious—what is a high MCAT and what does economically disadvantaged mean exactly?

I would assume a score that is a 30 or above. And growing up below, at or near the poverty level based on your geographic area or - perhaps - simply growing up lower middle class (especially if you're simultaneously first generation). As with most things, "disadvantage" exists along a spectrum… very hard to quantify.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad