2014-2015 Harvard Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II!!! :biglove:What an awesome way to start the week!

Quick scheduling question: for anyone interviewing for NP and HST, does it matter which one I schedule first? I was assigned a single date for HST but can pick earlier or later dates (all in late October) for NP. Thanks!
Congrats avocado! Win then over with your kindness and with you awesome hairdo!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is a research award grant a significant enough update to warrant sending Harvard an update letter?

Congratulations!! Is this a travel award/poster award or a research grant? You might want to distinguish those in your update.

Regardless, I think it would be a good idea, but maybe better handled if sent with more updates if the grant is small (<1000 dollars). I sent in an update letter three weeks ago with three updates. One was me winning a fellowship stipend of ~$20,000 and the other was a grant of ~$10,000.

Good luck!!! :luck:
 
Haha, RismyMname already got a PhD. If she does a MSTP, then her title might have to be something like, M.D./Ph.D/A.Ph.D. With A. stands for Another.

LOL! You are too funny! 😀 But no way in hell I'm doing another PhD 🤣Doing research on a timeline can be quite frustrating 🙁

Wow congratulations. I hope you're applying for MD/MSTP. It's a research grant for around ~$2000. Unfortunately I do not have any other updates at this time but I am applying MD NP only.

Oh thank you! :happy: But yea, I should have put that I'm doing my PhD as a disclaimer so that it was clear this wasn't typical. $2000 is a great grant, definitely substantial at an undergraduate level! I would send an update by itself if you're keen, but supposing you have a presentation or something coming up I would send those two updates together. Pre-II generally one update should be a maximum (some schools ideally prefer 0 updates 😀), but after interviewing people like to spread the updates into short and sweet updates + LOI's. At least that's what I've gathered so far 😀
 
LOL! You are too funny! 😀 But no way in hell I'm doing another PhD 🤣Doing research on a timeline can be quite frustrating 🙁



Oh thank you! :happy: But yea, I should have put that I'm doing my PhD as a disclaimer so that it was clear this wasn't typical. $2000 is a great grant, definitely substantial at an undergraduate level! I would send an update by itself if you're keen, but supposing you have a presentation or something coming up I would send those two updates together. Pre-II generally one update should be a maximum (some schools ideally prefer 0 updates 😀), but after interviewing people like to spread the updates into short and sweet updates + LOI's. At least that's what I've gathered so far 😀

General rule of thumb is to not send pre-II updates - unless its something absolutely amazing. If you can't get an II without the update, chances are you won't get an acceptance with it.

I would send post-interview updates in one big one if possible to minimize the hassle for the admission office and committee. For Harvard, anytime before the last interview date (I forgot exact date, but mid to late January is a good bet) is fine since they won't convene to review all the post-interview applications until then. LOIs here are pointless lol.
 
General rule of thumb is to not send pre-II updates - unless its something absolutely amazing. If you can't get an II without the update, chances are you won't get an acceptance with it.

I would send post-interview updates in one big one if possible to minimize the hassle for the admission office and committee. For Harvard, anytime before the last interview date (I forgot exact date, but mid to late January is a good bet) is fine since they won't convene to review all the post-interview applications until then. LOIs here are pointless lol.
How about joining a school orchestra and publishing papers?
 
for pre-interview? school orchestra, no. Publishing papers? Maybe if 1st author in a prominent journal. Post-interview you can add all of that in one update.

So for all schools that invite you to interview, you would mention the updates during the interview and then send them a letter of update containing the same information following the interview? I have several schools that have invited me to interview but I haven't sent them an update letter yet. Most said they have no preference for receiving update letters pre or post interview when I called.
 
So for all schools that invite you to interview, you would mention the updates during the interview and then send them a letter of update containing the same information following the interview? I have several schools that have invited me to interview but I haven't sent them an update letter yet. Most said they have no preference for receiving update letters pre or post interview when I called.

This depends largely on the school (for rolling schools, having updates earlier is preferable) - I'm only saying what I can tell from my own HMS interview experience and from hearing others, which applies specifically for HMS. My preference is also bugging admissions as less as possible - the fewer the number of updates, the better. Do note though that most of this is anecdotal evidence (I am not part of admissions). I personally wouldn't mention any updates during the interview itself unless it comes up in the conversation - seems redundant.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
INTERVIEW INVITE AT HARVARD!?!?? WHAT IS MY LIFE


Interviewing for NP pathway, I was complete on 8/22. I can't even believe it.
Congrats! Good luck with interview.
I can't believe most of my IIs. Even after I already interviewed I still feel unreal. Whenever I get II email from fancy schools, I'm like
giphy.gif
 
Would you mind sharing stats?

Yeah!
- 3.7sGpa, 3.8oGPA, 30MCAT, URM
- extensive research experience in lab
- lots of extracurricular activities with human rights program that took me overseas to 3 countries in Africa
- majoring in Computer Science and Chemistry
- strong personal statement about own personal heart defect

Sorry, I'm not sure how most people post their stats but that's what I figured you wanted to know about me.
 
Sorry, I'm not sure how most people post their stats but that's what I figured you wanted to know about me.

You are so sweet! Thank you for sharing so much. I think many people just post gpa and mcat or some combo but I think the other info is super important too bc I am sure schools weigh it heavily!!

Good luck with your interview, I hope you get in!
 
Yeah!
- 3.7sGpa, 3.8oGPA, 30MCAT, URM
- extensive research experience in lab
- lots of extracurricular activities with human rights program that took me overseas to 3 countries in Africa
- majoring in Computer Science and Chemistry
- strong personal statement about own personal heart defect

Sorry, I'm not sure how most people post their stats but that's what I figured you wanted to know about me.


Thanks so much for sharing! Your background is very impressive and fascinating. I'm loving the non-standard premed activities. Congrats and good luck on your interview!
 
Do any past/current students have any advice when preparing for this interview day? Transportation advice or any problems that may arise going from interview to interview?
 
Regardless, I think it would be a good idea, but maybe better handled if sent with more updates if the grant is small (<1000 dollars). I sent in an update letter three weeks ago with three updates. One was me winning a fellowship stipend of ~$20,000 and the other was a grant of ~$10,000.

Good luck!!! :luck:

Could you tell me how you sent in your update? I have a rather significant one that I'd like to notify the school of, but obviously the portal doesn't have a section for it. Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To all the mighty, lucky and awesome IIers who got II recently, would you tell me what are the available dates left? Please????:hello:

If I recall correctly:

Thurs, 11/13
Fri, 11/14
Tues, 11/17
Thurs, 11/19
Fri, 11/20

Sat, 11/21

I know that at least one of the two italicized dates is correct, but I'm not absolutely sure that both were offered.
 
  • Like
Reactions: FFH
Have any of you been to the meet and greet the night before interviews? Anyone know how long it goes/what it's like? Just curious. There was one before another interview I had but I didn't hear about it until the morning of the interview. Do most people go to these things?
 
Oh also, anyone have suggestions for what to do with all that free time on interview day? What's worth checking out in the area?
 
Have any of you been to the meet and greet the night before interviews? Anyone know how long it goes/what it's like? Just curious. There was one before another interview I had but I didn't hear about it until the morning of the interview. Do most people go to these things?

About half of the people go - it's just a good way to get to meet med students (and other interviewees) and talk to them about anything (what the dorms are like, classes, things they like/dislike about HMS, etc.) The students are in no ways associated with the admission committee and whether or not you go has no impact on the decision process. I would go more often to these things and chat with interviewees, but you know... pizza...
 
Do any past/current students have any advice when preparing for this interview day? Transportation advice or any problems that may arise going from interview to interview?
Hi ! Congratulations. I can't give you an advice on interview, but I can tell you about how you get around there and suggestions for a place to stay.
 
Last edited:
Oh also, anyone have suggestions for what to do with all that free time on interview day? What's worth checking out in the area?

The medical school is right next to two fantastic art museums: the MFA (museum of fine arts) and the Isabella Stewart-Gardner Museum (my personal favorite). Good luck on your interview!
 
Also, does it strike anyone odd to get an MD/PhD interview but not an HST interview despite Harvard's website saying that 50% of HST students pursue the MD/PhD? I wonder what percent of MD/PhD students are in the HST program. Or what percent are in the NP program.

Just curious. Anyways, glad to even be worthy to step foot on the campus even if I'm not accepted 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also, does it strike anyone odd to get an MD/PhD interview but not an HST interview despite Harvard's website saying that 50% of HST students pursue the MD/PhD? I wonder what percent of MD/PhD students are in the HST program. Or what percent are in the NP program.

Just curious. Anyways, glad to even be worthy to step foot on the campus even if I'm not accepted 😀

What is your current research in, and what do you plan on doing research in? Maybe they feel that your research interests are more compatible with NP.
 
What is your current research in, and what do you plan on doing research in? Maybe they feel that your research interests are more compatible with NP.

It just struck me as odd to get an email for the NP invite, another email for the HST rejection, and then an email for the the MD/PhD invite seconds later. I was like "Yayyy, awww, wut?......Yayyyyy"

Maybe it was a mistake to get the MSTP invite lol.

I'm still in total shock and was expecting interview invites at other schools waaayyyyy before hearing about any II decision from here (this is my first II).
 
Last edited:
I was just confused as to why I would get an II for the two programs at the ends of the spectrum and not the middle one. Definitely not complaining at the opportunity though! I would be honored to get accepted to only the NP program, even if I have an interest in research. It just struck me as odd to get an email for the NP invite, another email for the HST rejection, and then an email for the the MD/PhD invite seconds later.

I'm not sure. I do know that admission to MSTP is stated to be contingent on admittance to the medical school, so I imagine that the committees review independently. I didn't realize that you would receive separate emails like that. Would people who have applied MD/PhD here in past be able to tell me whether it is possible to receive an MD invite but not an MSTP invite applying MSTP? Also, I noticed a lot of people talking about offers from both NP and HST. I'm pretty sure I only applied HST (and MSTP). Did most people select both?
 
Last minute, I know, but I'm trying to figure out how to describe what I did in my year after graduating for the secondary app essay.

I'm putting I shadowed at XX and I did extracurricular YY. Both of these have their own entry in the activities section of my AMCAS app. Both were also marked as most meaningful, and thus were described in good detail on my AMCAS app. I'm debating between either
A. Not going into any detail, and simply telling them to refer to my AMCAS
B. Describing in detail

Any thoughts? Right now I'm going with A since it seems more elegant, though the pre-med neurotic in me doesn't like that...