2015-2016 APPIC Internship Cycle Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychanator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the spirit of years past, I believe now is an appropriate time to start this thread for those applying to internship this fall (2015). Feel free to post questions, advice, feedback, etc.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck to everyone applying :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hi All, first time post, long time follower -

I am going to be applying this upcoming round. Here's some data on my situation before I get to my questions:
I am a 5th clinical psychology PhD student. I'm in the early process of my dissertation (proposing early Fall), but expect to be in the process of data collection (possibly finished) prior to entering my internship year. I am primarily clinically-focused, with an interest (both research and practice) in severe mental illness, bipolar disorder, and suicidology. I come from a strong research lab, but transferred from a less productive lab in my 3rd year. My hours situation is about 850 intervention, 230 Assessment, with experiences at VA Home-Based Primary Care (1 year at time of application), private inpatient unit (1.5 years), residential treatment center for offenders (2 years), probation setting (1 year), cancer center (behavioral health prac, 1 year), dept practicums (3 years). I have 3 publications (2 published), 1 will be in review at time of application.

So here's my questions:

I am primarily interested in VA practicums (but am open to applying to a really good private psych hospital, by really good, I mean structured and offering a high diversity of experiences). My number 1 priority in my applications are finding the best training site for my interests. I see myself as an inpatient staff psychologist at either a VA or private hospital. I am open to postdoc experiences connected to the internship site. Thus, any place I apply to needs to have an inpatient rotation (1 or more) and strong grounding in ESTs/assessment. I prefer to stay in a place that's warm, but am not geographically limited (within reason, i'm not going to Alaska!). I have an initial list, but am open to suggestions that fit these general criteria. Secondly, how strong and competitive do you feel these set of experiences are for application?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming those are all direct (face-to-face) clinical hours, you're in good shape. Focus on moving your dissertation along--That's the only red flag I see here. If you can speed up the proposal and be well into data collection by the time interviews happen, that would probably help.

(Full disclosure: I'm a current intern who matched to my #1 site, and I know for a fact that being done my dissertation data collection by interviews helped with that).

It would help, but I matched while my dissertation was still in data collection. Granted, I didn't match to my #1 :)

Any suggestions on sites? A good exemplar of a site that I am interested in is Bay Pines VA in Florida. As I mentioned, an inpatient rotation and/or SMI emphasis is important to me.

A lot of my sites are concentrated in the south (North Carolina, Florida, etc.). Any sites in California, Colorado, etc that might meet this criteria?

Any sites in California, Colorado, etc that might meet this criteria?

I did a practicum at the VA in Denver and loved it. The supervisor on the inpatient unit is great. I would also recommend looking into Fort Logan (also in the Denver area). It's a state hospital, so there would be lots of work in SMI and forensics. I interviewed there last year and really liked it (though I didn't rank it that high because I preferred a VA placement). Someone else from my program did an internship there a couple years ago, and she liked it enough to stay on as a staff member. The other site you might look into is Denver Health. It's an academic medical center, but they have an inpatient track. Lots of folks from my program have done practica and internships there and had very good experiences. Also, Denver is a pretty amazing place to live :)

Does the VA in Denver have a research requirement to complete the year? Thanks for the information on Colorado internships!

Has anyone had experience (i.e., interviewing, attending, etc) with the University of Alabama Birmingham Consortium? It looks up my alley, but haven't heard much about it. Also, can anyone weigh in on the pros and cons of training at a consortium? Thanks!

Any suggestions on sites? A good exemplar of a site that I am interested in is Bay Pines VA in Florida. As I mentioned, an inpatient rotation and/or SMI emphasis is important to me.

A lot of my sites are concentrated in the south (North Carolina, Florida, etc.). Any sites in California, Colorado, etc that might meet this criteria?

Not in California or Colorado, but the Baltimore VA/University of Maryland consortium has an SMI track.

When does the APPI portal for this upcoming cycle open? I don't see that information on the website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck everyone. I matched this past year during phase II to my top choice (during that phase). So good things can happen even during times of great stress!

I did a practicum at the VA in Denver and loved it. The supervisor on the inpatient unit is great. I would also recommend looking into Fort Logan (also in the Denver area). It's a state hospital, so there would be lots of work in SMI and forensics. I interviewed there last year and really liked it (though I didn't rank it that high because I preferred a VA placement). Someone else from my program did an internship there a couple years ago, and she liked it enough to stay on as a staff member. The other site you might look into is Denver Health. It's an academic medical center, but they have an inpatient track. Lots of folks from my program have done practica and internships there and had very good experiences. Also, Denver is a pretty amazing place to live :)

Totally not related to this thread, but I love your avatar. I have a tshirt with that on it!

Totally not related to this thread, but I love your avatar. I have a tshirt with that on it!

Nice! Your avatar is pretty awesome, as well. I wore Wonder Woman underwear when I defended my dissertation :)

Does anyone know if having a misdemeanor will preclude a placement at a federal correctional center? Specifically possession of paraphernalia from 1995.

I am wondering if there is a list of programs that are not using APPIC?
I found like a small handful so far.
Also wondering if I can use APPIC to build an application because I'm not in a APA/CPA accredited program, but I have completed substantial practicum hours and coursework, etc. I am also supervised/taught by a number of clinical psychologists. We are affiliated with Academy of Psychological Clinical Science, but it seems those are all using APPIC now as well.

(Also i'm in Canada)

Does anyone know if having a misdemeanor will preclude a placement at a federal correctional center? Specifically possession of paraphernalia from 1995.

no but must be reported with all outcomes

I am wondering if there is a list of programs that are not using APPIC?
I found like a small handful so far.
Also wondering if I can use APPIC to build an application because I'm not in a APA/CPA accredited program, but I have completed substantial practicum hours and coursework, etc. I am also supervised/taught by a number of clinical psychologists. We are affiliated with Academy of Psychological Clinical Science, but it seems those are all using APPIC now as well.

(Also i'm in Canada)

For Canadian programs, both APPIC and non, check out this site:

http://ccppp.ca/directory-internship

...which also contains lots of other useful resources.

Yes, you can apply through APPIC even if you don't come from a CPA program. I'm guessing you go to U of T? If so, their extension program generally has a decent reputation within Canada and I think you have a solid chance at matching at a CPA-accredited site for internship. Good luck!

The application process is a bit daunting. I think its the first time I've felt impostor syndrome kick in during graduate school. I've worked hard to engage in a lot of research over the last several years, producing numerous publications (~10) as first and second author in reputable journals within a specialized research area as well as securing a small external funded grant for my research, but when I look at the sites that I want to apply I feel like they are way too competitive. I'm just having a hard time convincing myself I've done enough to justify applying; I think a lot of it has to do many of the sites I'm interested in being 'big names' with large numbers of applicants.When you guys look at sites like Harvard, Palo Alto, etc., what do you guys see as sufficient enough experience/research/etc to catch their attention for an interview assuming fit for the program?

The application process is a bit daunting. I think its the first time I've felt impostor syndrome kick in during graduate school. I've worked hard to engage in a lot of research over the last several years, producing numerous publications (~10) as first and second author in reputable journals within a specialized research area as well as securing a small external funded grant for my research, but when I look at the sites that I want to apply I feel like they are way too competitive. I'm just having a hard time convincing myself I've done enough to justify applying; I think a lot of it has to do many of the sites I'm interested in being 'big names' with large numbers of applicants.When you guys look at sites like Harvard, Palo Alto, etc., what do you guys see as sufficient enough experience/research/etc to catch their attention for an interview assuming fit for the program?
I will start off with the disclaimer that I'm not a research-oriented student, not from a PhD program, and not a person who applied to any big, super competitive sites like that. However, for all applicants, I would encourage you to not lose sight of the fact that your CV/experience is only a fraction of what they look at and it's not really the thing to set you apart from other applicants. You're right to think that a lot of people approaching those sites will have similar accomplishments as you (but also, there will be a handful of delusional people who apply anyway because the name sounds so shiny and pretty and their egos think they can get Harvard when they probably could barely get an internship in the first place, so let's all be thankful for those folks who make the rest of us look good!). You're right to be focusing on what what captures their attention and sets you apart, and that's where things like your essays and cover letters come into play. Especially in the cover letters, try not to focus too much on bragging about the things you've accomplished (mention them for sure) and spend enough time on communicating why that site is THE perfect fit for you. Sites want to know they can offer you something in return and that you'd be an enthusiastic and enjoyable person to work with. That seems to be the area most people fumble in the application process because they're so caught up in their hours/experience and how that will compare to others'.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I applied to a lot of those sites, but I also applied to research-friendly VAs that were a little less scary. I ended up getting interviews at a few of the "top" sites and matched to a very solid research-friendly VA site. However, keep in mind that I had half your number of publications. I think with 10 publications you'll be fine, but you can throw in applications to a few other types of places if you're really nervous. It's not the end of the world if you don't match to a research-focused site, since it's a clinical year anyway. It's hard to get research done during that one year.

Always, always, always apply! No harm in it and worth the money to give it a shot. I'm not from a PhD program, applied to sites similar to the ones you mentioned, was shocked to interview at a few and even more surprised to match at one (that I had been advised not even to bother to apply to). Always try-I have fewer pubs than you describe and found all kinds of faults with my own app. Good luck!

Such an unfair process we put our selves through... Exito to EVERYONE:happy:

Hi All, first time post, long time follower -

I am going to be applying this upcoming round. Here's some data on my situation before I get to my questions:
I am a 5th clinical psychology PhD student. I'm in the early process of my dissertation (proposing early Fall), but expect to be in the process of data collection (possibly finished) prior to entering my internship year. I am primarily clinically-focused, with an interest (both research and practice) in severe mental illness, bipolar disorder, and suicidology. I come from a strong research lab, but transferred from a less productive lab in my 3rd year. My hours situation is about 850 intervention, 230 Assessment, with experiences at VA Home-Based Primary Care (1 year at time of application), private inpatient unit (1.5 years), residential treatment center for offenders (2 years), probation setting (1 year), cancer center (behavioral health prac, 1 year), dept practicums (3 years). I have 3 publications (2 published), 1 will be in review at time of application.

So here's my questions:

I am primarily interested in VA practicums (but am open to applying to a really good private psych hospital, by really good, I mean structured and offering a high diversity of experiences). My number 1 priority in my applications are finding the best training site for my interests. I see myself as an inpatient staff psychologist at either a VA or private hospital. I am open to postdoc experiences connected to the internship site. Thus, any place I apply to needs to have an inpatient rotation (1 or more) and strong grounding in ESTs/assessment. I prefer to stay in a place that's warm, but am not geographically limited (within reason, i'm not going to Alaska!). I have an initial list, but am open to suggestions that fit these general criteria. Secondly, how strong and competitive do you feel these set of experiences are for application?

Thanks!

The MCG/VAMC consortium in Augusta, Georgia sounds like a good fit. However, it is attached to state hospital and not a private hospital. You get exposure to inpatient, medical school, and VAMC. You also have a whole day of seminars/didactics and 5 hours of research time a week.

The MCG/VAMC consortium in Augusta, Georgia sounds like a good fit. However, it is attached to state hospital and not a private hospital. You get exposure to inpatient, medical school, and VAMC. You also have a whole day of seminars/didactics and 5 hours of research time a week.

Your are neither geographically limited nor site-type restricted (VA's only), that's a plus believe it or not. Apply to up to 20 sites of your liking and you shall succeed.

Last edited:
The 2015-2016 AAPI Portal is now open. Just got an email today.

And so it begins. Good luck!

Let the APPIC Games begin!

Last edited:
Always, always, always apply! No harm in it and worth the money to give it a shot. I'm not from a PhD program, applied to sites similar to the ones you mentioned, was shocked to interview at a few and even more surprised to match at one (that I had been advised not even to bother to apply to). Always try-I have fewer pubs than you describe and found all kinds of faults with my own app. Good luck!

Yes! I second this and love your enthusiasm, CApsych.

I also reached, applied, and got interviews for internships at Federal Bureau of Prisons even though I was advised not to bother by my DOT.

Anyone here knowledgeable about college counseling centers? I'm wondering if there's a consensus on which offer really good training and how competitive they are.

Hello everyone. I went through Phase II and ultimately matched at a great APA site. Many of my close friends ended up going through Phase II as well. My advice before you finalize your internship lists, is for you to imagine that you are in the Phase II position. Imagine that you just opened up your email, read the upsetting news, and then had around 5 days to apply to sites all over the United States. Which states would you be willing to apply to, now that you are stressed out and in Phase II? Would you be willing to apply to non-APA sites, now that you are in Phase II? If you are willing to apply differently once you hit Phase II, i would recommend that you just apply to those sites initially. I wanted to stay close to my spouse, so I applied within 3 hour drive from my family and friends. However, when Phase II came, I was so stressed that I applied all over the place, and ended up in a location that I did not even consider. Best of luck. You will get through it.

Question for everyone: So obviously, many internship sites list a minimum for intervention hours. Also, I understand we get to report our "expected" hours that we'll receive through the next year. Do sites take our expected hours into account when considering for minimums? Or is it just the hours we've accrued up until we apply?

We have taken into account expected hours as well when I've served on committees. Although I will note, at least for npsych, that is the bare minimum where I've been. Our competitive applicants have been well over the minimum cutoffs.

Question for everyone: So obviously, many internship sites list a minimum for intervention hours. Also, I understand we get to report our "expected" hours that we'll receive through the next year. Do sites take our expected hours into account when considering for minimums? Or is it just the hours we've accrued up until we apply?

matched to a site with less than the 'expected' hours...honestly, each site does what they want at our expense

Man, so cynical. On committees I've served on over the past 4 years, it's been a pretty fair "rank by best available" type of approach. If you have good CV and applied to a place that you actually fit, you'll be fine.

Anyone here knowledgeable about college counseling centers? I'm wondering if there's a consensus on which offer really good training and how competitive they are.
I would say that the majority of APA UCCs offer good training, but the sites vary considerably on what they offer. Some have supervision training, others don't. Some offer crisis...etc. They also vary widely in their orientations. I would say most of them offer integrated approaches, but there are others that are either CBT or dynamic focused. They can be very competitive, though less than BOP or some VA sites, and many may want to see some previous UCC experience, but this is by no means a definite.

Man, so cynical. On committees I've served on over the past 4 years, it's been a pretty fair "rank by best available" type of approach. If you have good CV and applied to a place that you actually fit, you'll be fine.

to most sites we are just a pawn in a pool of candidates and 'a good match' is ill-defined by each site as they please to justify their ranking list and self-serving biases

I would say that the majority of APA UCCs offer good training, but the sites vary considerably on what they offer. Some have supervision training, others don't. Some offer crisis...etc. They also vary widely in their orientations. I would say most of them offer integrated approaches, but there are others that are either CBT or dynamic focused. They can be very competitive, though less than BOP or some VA sites, and many may want to see some previous UCC experience, but this is by no means a definite.

Any specifics you might be able to offer on what sites offer really good training and/or how competitive I might be at top sites? I am primarily interested in academia after graduation. Some of my stats: over 600 intervention hours; 2 years experience in college counseling centers, 2 years at community counseling center, clinical and research focus on multicultural psychology

Matching Rates for 2015 APPIC Applicants: Know How to Increase Your Chances

The following are your chances of matching based on your demographics, degree status, program type, APPIC process and application, academic progress, and clinical hours. Learn where you stand and how to increase your chances of matching in this process. Enjoy!

1. Match Rate by Age of applicant:

Ages 23-25 Match rate = 79% n = 183

Ages 26-30 Match rate = 89% n = 1654

Ages 31-35 Match rate = 81% n = 531

Ages 36-40 Match rate = 73% n = 131

Ages 41-45 Match rate = 70% n = 57

Ages 46-50 Match rate = 56% n = 36

Ages 51-55 Match rate = 50% n = 14

Ages 56+ Match rate = 33% n = 9

[The older you get the lower chances of matching (even after taking into account geographic restrictions, see #7); this has been consistent with APPIC for years]

2. Match Rate by Gender:

Male Match rate = 83% n = 526

Female Match rate = 85% n = 2079

[Always pretty even]

3. Match Rate by Marital Status:

Married/partnered Match rate = 86% n = 1351

Not married/partnered Match rate = 83% n = 1256

4. Match Rate by Racial/Ethnic Identification:

African-American/Black Match rate = 78% n = 190

American Indian/Alaskan Match rate = 88% n = 24

Asian/Pacific Islander Match rate = 87% n = 218

Hispanic/Latino Match rate = 79% n = 230

White (non-hispanic) Match rate = 86% n = 1937

Bi-racial/Multi-racial Match rate = 85% n = 96

Other Match rate = 92% n = 66

[Rates for Blacks and Latinos have increased, but remain the lowest of the sample]

5. Match Rate by Sexual Orientation:

Heterosexual Match rate = 85% n = 2325

Gay Male Match rate = 86% n = 66

Lesbian Match rate = 90% n = 51

Bisexual Match rate = 86% n = 12

[Good year for Lesbian Applicants]

6. Match Rate by Veteran Status

Non-Veteran Match rate = 85% n = 2531

Veteran Status Match rate = 75% n = 77

[Veterans match at a 10% lower rate than non-veterans, Why?]

7. Match Rate by Geographic Restrictions:

None Match rate = 87% n = 1614

Family/$ Match rate = 78% n = 491

Personal Choice Match rate = 86% n = 479

[Family restrictions were lowest, but 78% is not that far from the 85% who matched 1st time, and the 79% who matched 2nd time.]

8. Match Rate by Program Accreditation Status (APA/CPA):

Accredited Match rate = 86% n = 2534

Not Accredited Match rate = 63% n = 183

[Those from non-accredited programs are succeeding, but continue to struggle with the accreditation hurdle]

9. Match Rate by Degree sought:

Ph.D. Match rate = 88% n = 1534

Psy.D. Match rate = 80% n = 1190

[PhDs wins everytime]

10. Match Rate by Doctoral Program Type:

Clinical Match rate = 84% n = 2175

Counseling Match rate = 89% n = 319

School Match rate = 83% n = 135

Combined Match rate = 83% n = 82

[Counseling programs came on top! We liked the proactive changes they made to help applicants through the process; this could be a reflection of that]

11. Match Rate by Times Participating in the Match:

First time Match rate = 85% n = 2519

Second time Match rate = 79% n = 189

Third time Match rate = 64% n = 11

Fourth Not Reported n = 1

[5% increase for those matching the 1st time= 85%]

12. Match Rate by Number of Applications Submitted:

1 to 5 applications Match rate = 59% n = 116

6 to 10 applications Match rate = 70% n = 209

11 to 15 applications Match rate = 86% n = 892

16 to 20 applications Match rate = 89% n = 1004

21 to 25 applications Match rate = 90% n = 344

26 to 30 applications Match rate = 85% n = 96

31 or more Match rate = 77% n = 31

[We have always recommended 21-25 applications; they called me crazy= 90%…but 16 to 25 applications is the sweet spot]

13. Match Rate by Number of Interviews Offered:

1 to 2 interviews Match rate = 57% n = 343

3 to 4 interviews Match rate = 79% n = 459

5 to 6 interviews Match rate = 91% n = 502

7 to 8 interviews Match rate = 94% n = 463

9 to 10 interviews Match rate = 97% n = 318

11 or more Match rate = 99% n = 522

[Those with 3-4 interviews had about 80% matching rates… pretty good! If you get 5 or more interviews you are in a good place with a 90%+ chance]

14. Match Rate by Doctoral Intervention Hours:

0 – 300 Match rate = 74% n = 125

301 – 400 Match rate = 83% n = 166

401 – 500 Match rate = 85% n = 289

501 – 600 Match rate = 87% n = 413

601 – 700 Match rate = 88% n = 311

701 – 800 Match rate = 91% n = 235

801 – 900 Match rate = 91% n = 132

901 – 1000 Match rate = 90% n = 102

1000+ Match rate = 87% n = 21

[500+ remains as benchmark]

15. Match Rate by Doctoral Assessment Hours:

0 – 100 Match rate = 83% n = 524

101 – 200 Match rate = 86% n = 660

201 – 300 Match rate = 89% n = 379

301 – 400 Match rate = 92% n = 171

401 – 500 Match rate = 87% n = 105

501+ Match rate = 90% n = 133

[100+ remains as benchmark]

16. Match Rate by Completion of Doctoral Comprehensive/Exams:

Prior to submitting Application Match rate = 87% n = 2047

Later Match rate = 75% n = 73

[Early completion is reinforced with a 12% higher chance]

17. Match Rate by Completion of Dissertation Proposal:

Prior to submitting Application Match rate = 88% n = 1939

Later Match rate = 71% n = 245

[Early completion is reinforced with a 17% higher chance]

18. Match Rate by Number of Presentations:

Zero Match rate = 77% n = 390

One Match rate = 84% n = 196

Two Match rate = 84% n = 177

Three Match rate = 86% n = 156

Four Match rate = 87% n = 137

Five Match rate = 84% n = 118

Six or more Match rate = 91% n = 994

[Having at least one is reinforced with 7% higher chance]

19. Match Rate by Number of Articles Published:

Zero Match rate = 83% n = 1079

One or more Match rate = 89% n = 1099

[Having one is reinforced with a 6% higher chance, Ok, but not that significant]

From Report Prepared by Greg Keilin, Ph.D.

Last edited:
Any specifics you might be able to offer on what sites offer really good training and/or how competitive I might be at top sites? I am primarily interested in academia after graduation. Some of my stats: over 600 intervention hours; 2 years experience in college counseling centers, 2 years at community counseling center, clinical and research focus on multicultural psychology
Here's what I would suggest. Search the APPIC database for UCCs with APA accred, and look at the site descriptions. Choose the ones that sound best to you, and bring them back to the group with questions. There a a lot of UCCs in the country, so just giving you a few names would be a disservice to you.

Ask yourself: What type of training do you want? Orientation? Do you want specific experiences like crisis, outreach, administration/management? Do you have geographic requirements or preferences? Do you want to do primarily short term therapy or mix it up? Some sites offer only 4 sessions before referring out, while others offer 12, 20 or unlimited. So there aren't really top sites, there are only top sites for you.

Results from last years Match / Match Survey.

Some general improvements in match rates overall. Although some interesting demographic information was posted above, I question how effective that information is at describing trends as there is an assumption (untested as far as I've seen) that these groups equally occupy all schools across the different quality/match rates. I find this unlikely, particularly for issues age where older students seem much more likely to be gonig through a faster/fly by the seat psyd because they dont have 6 years full time to contribute given their planning. I wonder the same about ethnic group given disparities in income between groups and the targetting of certain for profit schools. Either way, some other interesting facts in the survey are linked below.

As a research junky I always find it interesting to look at the M/range of publications/presentations.

Who has 28 peer reviewed publications? I want to know what those look like lol

Part 1: Survey Results
http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/ApplicantSurvey2015Part1.aspx

Part 2: Applicant Placement by Applicant & Program Characteristics
http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/ApplicantSurvey2015Part2.aspx

Part 3: Comparison of Applicants Based on Degree Type
http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/ApplicantSurvey2015Part3.aspx

Matching Rates for 2015 APPIC Applicants: Know How to Increase Your Chances

The following are your chances of matching based on your demographics, degree status, program type, APPIC process and application, academic progress, and clinical hours. Learn where you stand and how to increase your chances of matching in this process. Enjoy!

1. Match Rate by Age of applicant:

Ages 23-25 Match rate = 79% n = 183

Ages 26-30 Match rate = 89% n = 1654

Ages 31-35 Match rate = 81% n = 531

Ages 36-40 Match rate = 73% n = 131

Ages 41-45 Match rate = 70% n = 57

Ages 46-50 Match rate = 56% n = 36

Ages 51-55 Match rate = 50% n = 14

Ages 56+ Match rate = 33% n = 9

[The older you get the lower chances of matching (even after taking into account geographic restrictions, see #7); this has been consistent with APPIC for years]

2. Match Rate by Gender:

Male Match rate = 83% n = 526

Female Match rate = 85% n = 2079

[Always pretty even]

3. Match Rate by Marital Status:

Married/partnered Match rate = 86% n = 1351

Not married/partnered Match rate = 83% n = 1256

4. Match Rate by Racial/Ethnic Identification:

African-American/Black Match rate = 78% n = 190

American Indian/Alaskan Match rate = 88% n = 24

Asian/Pacific Islander Match rate = 87% n = 218

Hispanic/Latino Match rate = 79% n = 230

White (non-hispanic) Match rate = 86% n = 1937

Bi-racial/Multi-racial Match rate = 85% n = 96

Other Match rate = 92% n = 66

[Rates for Blacks and Latinos have increased, but remain the lowest of the sample]

5. Match Rate by Sexual Orientation:

Heterosexual Match rate = 85% n = 2325

Gay Male Match rate = 86% n = 66

Lesbian Match rate = 90% n = 51

Bisexual Match rate = 86% n = 12

[Good year for Lesbian Applicants]

6. Match Rate by Veteran Status

Non-Veteran Match rate = 85% n = 2531

Veteran Status Match rate = 75% n = 77

[Veterans match at a 10% lower rate than non-veterans, Why?]

7. Match Rate by Geographic Restrictions:

None Match rate = 87% n = 1614

Family/$ Match rate = 78% n = 491

Personal Choice Match rate = 86% n = 479

[Family restrictions were lowest, but 78% is not that far from the 85% who matched 1st time, and the 79% who matched 2nd time.]

8. Match Rate by Program Accreditation Status (APA/CPA):

Accredited Match rate = 86% n = 2534

Not Accredited Match rate = 63% n = 183

[Those from non-accredited programs are succeeding, but continue to struggle with the accreditation hurdle]

9. Match Rate by Degree sought:

Ph.D. Match rate = 88% n = 1534

Psy.D. Match rate = 80% n = 1190

[PhDs wins everytime]

10. Match Rate by Doctoral Program Type:

Clinical Match rate = 84% n = 2175

Counseling Match rate = 89% n = 319

School Match rate = 83% n = 135

Combined Match rate = 83% n = 82

[Counseling programs came on top! We liked the proactive changes they made to help applicants through the process; this could be a reflection of that]

11. Match Rate by Times Participating in the Match:

First time Match rate = 85% n = 2519

Second time Match rate = 79% n = 189

Third time Match rate = 64% n = 11

Fourth Not Reported n = 1

[5% increase for those matching the 1st time= 85%]

12. Match Rate by Number of Applications Submitted:

1 to 5 applications Match rate = 59% n = 116

6 to 10 applications Match rate = 70% n = 209

11 to 15 applications Match rate = 86% n = 892

16 to 20 applications Match rate = 89% n = 1004

21 to 25 applications Match rate = 90% n = 344

26 to 30 applications Match rate = 85% n = 96

31 or more Match rate = 77% n = 31

[We have always recommended 21-25 applications; they called me crazy= 90%…but 16 to 25 applications is the sweet spot]

13. Match Rate by Number of Interviews Offered:

1 to 2 interviews Match rate = 57% n = 343

3 to 4 interviews Match rate = 79% n = 459

5 to 6 interviews Match rate = 91% n = 502

7 to 8 interviews Match rate = 94% n = 463

9 to 10 interviews Match rate = 97% n = 318

11 or more Match rate = 99% n = 522

[Those with 3-4 interviews had about 80% matching rates… pretty good! If you get 5 or more interviews you are in a good place with a 90%+ chance]

14. Match Rate by Doctoral Intervention Hours:

0 – 300 Match rate = 74% n = 125

301 – 400 Match rate = 83% n = 166

401 – 500 Match rate = 85% n = 289

501 – 600 Match rate = 87% n = 413

601 – 700 Match rate = 88% n = 311

701 – 800 Match rate = 91% n = 235

801 – 900 Match rate = 91% n = 132

901 – 1000 Match rate = 90% n = 102

1000+ Match rate = 87% n = 21

[500+ remains as benchmark]

15. Match Rate by Doctoral Assessment Hours:

0 – 100 Match rate = 83% n = 524

101 – 200 Match rate = 86% n = 660

201 – 300 Match rate = 89% n = 379

301 – 400 Match rate = 92% n = 171

401 – 500 Match rate = 87% n = 105

501+ Match rate = 90% n = 133

[100+ remains as benchmark]

16. Match Rate by Completion of Doctoral Comprehensive/Exams:

Prior to submitting Application Match rate = 87% n = 2047

Later Match rate = 75% n = 73

[Early completion is reinforced with a 12% higher chance]

17. Match Rate by Completion of Dissertation Proposal:

Prior to submitting Application Match rate = 88% n = 1939

Later Match rate = 71% n = 245

[Early completion is reinforced with a 17% higher chance]

18. Match Rate by Number of Presentations:

Zero Match rate = 77% n = 390

One Match rate = 84% n = 196

Two Match rate = 84% n = 177

Three Match rate = 86% n = 156

Four Match rate = 87% n = 137

Five Match rate = 84% n = 118

Six or more Match rate = 91% n = 994

[Having at least one is reinforced with 7% higher chance]

19. Match Rate by Number of Articles Published:

Zero Match rate = 83% n = 1079

One or more Match rate = 89% n = 1099

[Having one is reinforced with a 6% higher chance, Ok, but not that significant]

From Report Prepared by Greg Keilin, Ph.D.

Thanks that's quite helpful. I hadn't seen that info in my search.

I am applying this fall, and have 21 pubs in peer-reviewed journals (11 first-authored). Although good for my long term career, I think this could hurt me for internship by creating the perception that I am more of a researcher than a clinician (admittedly a fair concern).

Results from last years Match / Match Survey.

Some general improvements in match rates overall. Although some interesting demographic information was posted above, I question how effective that information is at describing trends as there is an assumption (untested as far as I've seen) that these groups equally occupy all schools across the different quality/match rates. I find this unlikely, particularly for issues age where older students seem much more likely to be gonig through a faster/fly by the seat psyd because they dont have 6 years full time to contribute given their planning. I wonder the same about ethnic group given disparities in income between groups and the targetting of certain for profit schools. Either way, some other interesting facts in the survey are linked below.

As a research junky I always find it interesting to look at the M/range of publications/presentations.

Who has 28 peer reviewed publications? I want to know what those look like lol

Part 1: Survey Results
http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/ApplicantSurvey2015Part1.aspx

Part 2: Applicant Placement by Applicant & Program Characteristics
http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/ApplicantSurvey2015Part2.aspx

Part 3: Comparison of Applicants Based on Degree Type
http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/ApplicantSurvey2015Part3.aspx

I am applying this fall, and have 21 pubs in peer-reviewed journals (11 first-authored). Although good for my long term career, I think this could hurt me for internship by creating the perception that I am more of a researcher than a clinician (admittedly a fair concern).

I'm not sure that this would "hurt" you, but it is good that you have this awareness and can make sure to highlight your clinical skills to give them more balanced look. With that said, if your number of publications means you love love love research, then aim mostly for research-oriented sites/positions. This is especially true if your interest/experience in clinical intervention is just "meh." However, if you've got strong interest in both, look for sites that offer both and make sure to present a balanced argument for your goodness of fit.

I am applying for internship this cycle and I am interested in peds neuro but I'm also interested in developmental
disability work. Any advice on sites that may be good to look at and how to work those two together in internship? I would also love advice from those that maybe were interested in neuro and didn't do a neuro internship but did do a neuro post doc. What kind of sites did you do your internship through and how did you make sure you got some neuro experience in order to be able to be competitive for a neuro post doc? Thanks so much for your help! :)

I am applying for internship this cycle and I am interested in peds neuro but I'm also interested in developmental
disability work. Any advice on sites that may be good to look at and how to work those two together in internship? I would also love advice from those that maybe were interested in neuro and didn't do a neuro internship but did do a neuro post doc. What kind of sites did you do your internship through and how did you make sure you got some neuro experience in order to be able to be competitive for a neuro post doc? Thanks so much for your help! :)

I am in a similar situation actually. It sounds like what you want is a site with a generalist training model that allows for a possible 6-month neuro rotation plus an addition 6-month developmental rotation. I think there are many sites that could craft this position for you. I am shooting for more research-heavy sites, so among those, these are good options: University of Washington/Seattle Children's Hospital, Brown/Alpert Medical, Northwestern/Lurie Children's, Kennedy Krieger/Johns Hopkins, UCLA/Semel Institute, Boston Children's Hospital, and Philadelphia Children's Hospital (to name a few). I think that even some programs that are primarily neuro have other services built in. Keep in mind if you don't come from a neuro program you may not have the requisite hours for some of these sites, which are generally very high.

Your publication record is very impressive. As an active researcher, that is an extremely high number. I've been producing 1-2 per year (impact 1.5 - 4.0) in graduate school, but have no idea how you managed to do 21 publications- if for nothing else the time lapse of data collection to submission review process. I've got one I just got a R&R on last month that took 6 months to review. What kind of journals are you publishing to get that much? Any tips or tricks you could share?