2023-2024 APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Official Site Name: Florida State University Counseling and Psychological Sevices
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Date Invitation Received: 11/28
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): mass email
Interview Dates Offered: 01/10,13,17,20 morning or afternoon

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Something I was wondering, and am thinking about more now as the rejections pile on - how do people decide whether a site is 'competitive"? I have thought that more research-oriented sites tend to be more competitive, but what other factors play into the designation? It feels kind of arbitrary....

Something I was wondering, and am thinking about more now as the rejections pile on - how do people decide whether a site is 'competitive"? I have thought that more research-oriented sites tend to be more competitive, but what other factors play into the designation? It feels kind of arbitrary....

Usually by the amount of applications per spot. Tends to be a higher number in desirable locations, some of which are are good training sites, some of which are adequate, but merely where people want to live

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually by the amount of applications per spot. Tends to be a higher number in desirable locations, some of which are are good training sites, some of which are adequate, but merely where people want to live

Increasingly those locations are becoming needed rather than desirable due to restrictive legislation and the threat of political violence in more conservative areas.

Increasingly those locations are becoming needed rather than desirable due to restrictive legislation and the threat of political violence in more conservative areas.

Somewhat, the explosion of sites in the past decade helps offset this. Plenty of very good training spots in small and midsize metros in blue and purple states that are often overlooked by people due to location.

Reactions: 1 users
Outside of pure geographical factors like large coastal metros, medical centers that offer significant variety in training experiences and ability to work with lots of talented staff will generally get more applications (compared to a smaller site where one would largely just do outpatient therapy the whole year), even if they aren't in desirable locations. These sites are also more likely research-oriented since they will have the resources and institutional support to engage in meaningful research.

For example, University of Alabama Birmingham is a very competitive site since it's one of the leading medical centers in the South/Southeast even though it doesn't have a national reputation.

There are also sites/rotations within a site that are well-known within a specialty where students who want to specialize or pursue an academic career focused on this topic will be funneled toward. Neuropsych is an example where some highly desirable sites are housed within decent/good sites so the neuropsych applicants may be greater/more competitive than the general applicant pool.

Somewhat, the explosion of sites in the past decade helps offset this. Plenty of very good training spots in small and midsize metros in blue and purple states that are often overlooked by people due to location.
(This is not a challenge, it's an earnest question) What areas (not sites) are you thinking of specifically?

Sounds overtly discriminatory. You should look into some of the diversity, equity, and inclusion discussions around this.
I've got a couple of thoughts about this, but am going to try to relate it to discussion.
  • first, Wisneuro's comment made me feel sad, and I agree that it is overly discriminatory. But, I thought about it, and it's actually a kindness of sorts. What he is saying is that "there are people who's programs make it so they have a very low chance of successfully and ethically completing the internship with us and we have certain constraints that limit our ability to manage their success. So by not interviewing them, we are actually helping them find an internship where they have a greater likelihood of successfully completing the internship."
  • DEI/wokeness is not a religion that is dogmatically practiced much outside of the academy. If the goal is to match, which it should be, tread carefully. There is often a "beer test" component to matching. No one wants an intern they can't get a beer without being lectured about DEI, privilege, etc. Many programs have been burnt by overly woke interns.
  • Remember, the goal is to match, and to find the right spot for you. You are matching with them and they are matching with you. They're not in this world to live up to your expectations. They are who they are.
  • I am a school psych - we're probably the most "discriminated" against in the whole ordeal. Whatever. I tried on a bunch of sites, and eventually matched at second choice. and I am glad I did. It helped me develop so much.

(This is not a challenge, it's an earnest question) What areas (not sites) are you thinking of specifically?

Some good medium midwest sites in purple states like MI and WI, blue areas in MN. Also some smaller cities in some areas like Tacoma vs. Seattle and other similar smaller to medium sized cities that may be near larger metros.

I've got a couple of thoughts about this, but am going to try to relate it to discussion.
  • first, Wisneuro's comment made me feel sad, and I agree that it is overly discriminatory. But, I thought about it, and it's actually a kindness of sorts. What he is saying is that "there are people who's programs make it so they have a very low chance of successfully and ethically completing the internship with us and we have certain constraints that limit our ability to manage their success. So by not interviewing them, we are actually helping them find an internship where they have a greater likelihood of successfully completing the internship."
  • DEI/wokeness is not a religion that is dogmatically practiced much outside of the academy. If the goal is to match, which it should be, tread carefully. There is often a "beer test" component to matching. No one wants an intern they can't get a beer without being lectured about DEI, privilege, etc. Many programs have been burnt by overly woke interns.
  • Remember, the goal is to match, and to find the right spot for you. You are matching with them and they are matching with you. They're not in this world to live up to your expectations. They are who they are.
  • I am a school psych - we're probably the most "discriminated" against in the whole ordeal. Whatever. I tried on a bunch of sites, and eventually matched at second choice. and I am glad I did. It helped me develop so much.

From a technical definition it is discrimination, discrimination based on quality of instruction and past experience. For example, one program that we we used to get a lot of applications from that we never really considered had a well known older luminary in neuro literally writes the same verbatim letter of rec for all of their applicants, just switching out the names. They also have a tendency to throw everyone and their brother on the same pubs, so the applicants have nearly identical CVs and identical letters of rec. I don't need to roll the dice on finding a diamond in the rough from this type of situation when I have plenty of actual realized diamonds in the applicant pile. Choices have consequences. you can make a far less than ideal choice, but then you have to live with what happens because of that choice.

Thanks, the comments have been helpful. Specifically regarding this comment - I had tried to keep in mind number of applications per spot when putting together my list, but this felt very difficult when there are sites with multiple tracks. Brown, for example, has 23 'spots' spread out across 10+ tracks, and they receive 300+ applications every year. I assume not every track has equal level of interest. It seems really difficult to judge for any given site how competitive a given track is without having any information about their 'reputation'.

Thanks, the comments have been helpful. Specifically regarding this comment - I had tried to keep in mind number of applications per spot when putting together my list, but this felt very difficult when there are sites with multiple tracks. Brown, for example, has 23 'spots' spread out across 10+ tracks, and they receive 300+ applications every year. I assume not every track has equal level of interest. It seems really difficult to judge for any given site how competitive a given track is without having any information about their 'reputation'.
Correct, interest will definitely be different and may follow trends in our field as a whole.

For example, we know from trends in our field that there are less people interested in geropsychology careers than say, health psych so I would expect less gero track applicants than health psych applicants at a program that offers both tracks, prior to accounting for possible reputation bumps.

I think this is where the apply broadly advice is really helpful. If anybody is in a spot where they are seeing more initial rejections early on, there are still great sites with later deadlines out there that you can still apply to.

Tangentially related but I think some tracks (outside of neuro) can be more marketing/semantics so definitely look into details of how the internship year is structured. If a site say, does 2 major rotations and 2 minor rotations, the person on the track would be guaranteed a major in their track but would then need to do another major and minors in different areas for breadth of training so they could theoretically spend as little as 30% of their time in their emphasis area, which wouldn't be all that different from an internship that has no tracks. Whereas other sites have more required hours for a track to give it more of a postdoc-like feel and potentially sacrifice greater breadth of training.

I still think that you likely come from a very privileged background if you can't even imagine any life circumstance that causes someone to choose a less than ideal school. Guess I've just had richer life experiences, hope I never forget them and end up like you.

You assume incorrectly. I am sorry that I do not fit your narrative.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten an interview with Kaiser Oakland (besides for the Gender Transitions track)?

How do you respond to interview responses? (When the person isn't a phd? mr. ms. mrs.)

Is it odd to want to go to round 2 to stay in your state when you have several interview offers out of state?

Is it odd to want to go to round 2 to stay in your state when you have several interview offers out of state?
We are free to preference whatever is most important during this process. A majority are probably focused on matching somewhere acceptable and finishing up school but geography is a big deal for many others.

Make sure to remember that if you ultimately rank a site (you can decline to rank any site you applied to/interviewed with) and they also rank you and the algorithm makes a match, that is a binding agreement and you won't have the opportunity to decline and try your odds again in Phase 2.

So interview everywhere possible but only rank sites that you'd actually be willing to go to!

Lastly, there is no guarantee that Phase 2 will have any sites that you'll like. There could be a ton of options for your desired state all the way down to potentially zero spots so you could easily find yourself in a position of needing to stay in school an extra year or going out of state at a potentially less desirable location/site.

How do you respond to interview responses? (When the person isn't a phd? mr. ms. mrs.)
You could say Mx [last name] if you want to be super inclusive. If they have a gendered signature, you can use Mr. or Ms based on their gender.

You could say Mx [last name] if you want to be super inclusive. If they have a gendered signature, you can use Mr. or Ms based on their gender.
I would probably just use "Dear Mr. or Ms. X. "Again, most support staff haven't been steeped in the ways of wokeness. That being said, being very nice to them is often a golden ticket. After your interview, a short thank you email the support staff and thanks for helping with coordination is just a nice thing to do. Also, the selection committee will hear about any rudeness, interpersonal quirks, or manners. Remember, that behind all they layers of administration, supervisors, etc., there is a secretary name Linda who actually runs things and has for the last 35 years. I come from the west and did an internship in a less urban suburb of Houston, Texas - where manners are much more important - the stereotypes of southern manners are real. Supremely helpful people by in large. 2

Among other things, yes, we grew up very rural. Wood burning fireplace to heat your home in the winter rural.
Nice. My daddy was a farm boy. He went to college to (A) avoid 'nam and (B) something about an epiphany when moving sprinkler pipe.

Not sure if this has been said on here, but figured it was worth noting for students. If you live in a state that has a certain plant legalized for medicinal purposes (or recreational), and you yourself are recommended by a sketchy saul goodman like physician to take said plant for any of the ailments it is purported to help, stop that **** if you're planning on going VA or BOP. Like right now. Or at least a month (at a minimum) before you know you're going to have to do the federal pre-employment stuff. Can't imagine no worse fate than working all of those years with all the stress to then match at a federal site but have it all foiled.

To add to this, I have seen an intern matched to a site in a state where this was not legalized, but in her home state it was. Once she was drug tested and tested positive for that, the site rejected her after she had matched based on the results of the drug test. Not a federal site.

• Wow
This happened to someone last year! I remember reading it in the other thread. I agree with @psych.meout that you could definitely email your other sites just to give them a heads up about this issue and if they have had a similar problem that you can have your letter writers email them directly.
This happened to someone last year! I remember reading it in the other thread. I agree with @psych.meout that you could definitely email your other sites just to give them a heads up about this issue and if they have had a similar problem that you can have your letter writers email them directly.
Yes! This happened to me this week. A site said they did not receive my essays or CV. APPI said all my documents were uploaded and sent to the site. My DT is trying to tell me not to worry, APPI told her today that this hasn't happened to anyone else so likely a one-off, but I'm worried this will happen with the applications for the other sites I applied to.

I received an email this morning from a site that my application is missing my letters of rec, even though all 3 were submitted well ahead of the deadline and I even submitted my applications early. My application even shows that they are submitted/completed. The site is letting my letter writers email the letters to them directly but now Im really worried that other sites are having the same issue and my application will be thrown out for being incomplete. I called the aapi help line and they said it's not an issue with any other site as far as they can tell. is anyone else experiencing this issue??
Yes! This happened to me this week. A site said they did not receive my essays or CV. APPI said all my documents were uploaded and sent to the site. My DT is trying to tell me not to worry, APPI told her today that this hasn't happened to anyone else so likely a one-off, but I'm worried this will happen with the applications for the other sites I applied to.

Something weird happened with APPI for me too! I reached out to a site for clarification after submitting my application. On my portal view, it was marked "complete" and I was able to download my submitted application. The site, however, said they did not have my application. I shared my version with them (sans recommendations) in case that helped them locate it. Then, I received an email saying that APPI re-opened my application and extended the deadline for me personally for this site (from 11/1 to 11/18), I could no longer see the submitted one, and when I checked my credit card bill, it hadn't charged me for one application! (I submitted it again but thought the encounter was bizarre and double-checked on my other applications)

Official Site Name: Wisconsin Department of Corrections Doctoral Internship in Health Service Psychology
Speciality Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Date Invitation Received: 12/1/22
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): mass email
Interview Dates Offered: 12/14/22, 12/15/22, 1/5/23, 1/6/23, 1/18/23, 1/19/23

Reactions: 2 users
OP here. For me, it only happened to that one site. The site asked me to ask my letter writers to forward them their letters. I've heard back from 10 sites already and this hasn't been an issue for any of the other sites I applied to so I agree with your DT not to worry. Seems like the sites will reach out if this happens and are great about finding a solution.

OP here. For me, it only happened to that one site. The site asked me to ask my letter writers to forward them their letters. I've heard back from 10 sites already and this hasn't been an issue for any of the other sites I applied to so I agree with your DT not to worry. Seems like the sites will reach out if this happens and are great about finding a solution.
Oh sorry I forgot to mention too that I contacted the aapi help desk and they said they "refreshed" my application and that this shouldn't be a problem for any other site. The original site that couldn't see my letters confirmed that once my application was refreshed they could see all my materials.

Oh sorry I forgot to mention too that I contacted the aapi help desk and they said they "refreshed" my application and that this shouldn't be a problem for any other site. The original site that couldn't see my letters confirmed that once my application was refreshed they could see all my materials.
Oh, that is helpful to know. I'm waiting for a call back from someone at APPI who is looking into the issue further and I'll suggest a "refresh" on my application too. Thank you!

Official Site Name: FCI/FDC Tallahassee
Date Invitation Received: 12/1/22
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Email
Interview Dates Offered: January 9, 10, 23, 24, 25, 26

Have the feeling the rest of the BOPs will be sending their interview confirmations soon given that USA Jobs cleared! Woooo!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone heard from UNM Health Sciences Center regarding the multicultural track?

Does anyone have any idea how sites generally rank applicants? Is it based on our application’s material and therefore we are ranked prior to interview? I am guessing it is different at different sites but would love to know your theories!

Does anyone have any idea how sites generally rank applicants? Is it based on our application’s material and therefore we are ranked prior to interview? I am guessing it is different at different sites but would love to know your theories!

Varies a little by site. At all of my past sites, we ranked based on application materials prior to interviews, and rankings rarely changed substantively after interview.

Varies a little by site. At all of my past sites, we ranked based on application materials prior to interviews, and rankings rarely changed substantively after interview.

What parts of the materials were most important? And which sorts of sites have you worked at? VA/AMC?

Does anyone know if Charleston Area Medical Center is sending their invites and rejections in batches? I'm seeing a few different days/ times for interview invites, as well as a mass rejection email... I haven't gotten anything, so the limbo has been so confusing!

What parts of the materials were most important? And which sorts of sites have you worked at? VA/AMC?

Fit. How well does that applicant's background match with our site. Do they have the foundational knowledge to do what they are asking (e.g., neuro). I have worked at VAs and large non-profit hospital systems.

At my VA, every major app component is ranked via a rubric, including factors such as fit/interest in working with veterans and diversity/social justice. At least 2 faculty review each app (to see if there is consensus or divergence of opinions) plus the TD.

We then offer invites. But it's not a strict score cutoff system. Somebody could have higher scores (lots of hours, lots of pubs, etc) but not be offered an interview based on a red flag or concern. Or somebody with a lower score can still receive an invite if there is something especially compelling.

Interviews will also be scored and we look for things like consistency (good app, good interview, good fit), interpersonal fit and overall fit (will our site help this intern develop?) to rank candidates.
What parts of the materials were most important?
Fit combined with meeting or exceeding baseline standards for objective factors and not having any red flags.

Writing ability is also important because if a candidate has tons of typos or struggles to demonstrate basic professional writing ability, reviewing notes and the editing process will likely be more challenging.

I’ll just speak for our site, but we score application materials and then score the interview and rank based on a combination of those scores.

At my VA, every major app component is ranked via a rubric, including factors such as fit/interest in working with veterans and diversity/social justice. At least 2 faculty review each app (to see if there is consensus or divergence of opinions) plus the TD.

We then offer invites. But it's not a strict score cutoff system. Somebody could have higher scores (lots of hours, lots of pubs, etc) but not be offered an interview based on a red flag or concern. Or somebody with a lower score can still receive an invite if there is something especially compelling.

Interviews will also be scored and we look for things like consistency (good app, good interview, good fit), interpersonal fit and overall fit (will our site help this intern develop?) to rank candidates.

Fit combined with meeting or exceeding baseline standards for objective factors and not having any red flags.

Writing ability is also important because if a candidate has tons of typos or struggles to demonstrate basic professional writing ability, reviewing notes and the editing process will likely be more challenging.
One site I applied to, I used the wrong DCT name although the rest of the letter is congruent with the actual site. I wonder if I still stand a chance? =..(

Fit. How well does that applicant's background match with our site. Do they have the foundational knowledge to do what they are asking (e.g., neuro). I have worked at VAs and large non-profit hospital systems.
Does that technically mean that getting an interview means they think you’re a good fit? And that you’ve met criteria but they’re required to interview 10 people for every spot just in case?

I have a site that is not offering me an interview but said that based on application materials and apparent goodness of fit, they are still planning to rank me for match. What do you make of this?

Does that technically mean that getting an interview means they think you’re a good fit? And that you’ve met criteria but they’re required to interview 10 people for every spot just in case?

If you are invited, you have been deemed an adequate fit for the site. Most sites get plenty of applications per spot, they don't need to pad the invite list.

I have a site that is not offering me an interview but said that based on application materials and apparent goodness of fit, they are still planning to rank me for match. What do you make of this?

It usually means one is in the second tier of rankings.

I know OUHSC has a history of doing this... but I've never heard anyone matching who was ranked but didn't interview. Such an interesting practice some sites do.

Last edited:
I know OUHSC has a history of doing this... but I've never heard anyone matching who there they ranked but didn't interview. Such an odd practice some sites do.

It's fairly common. The logistics it takes to schedule and have faculty set aside time is pretty intensive. So, they interview their top group, and rank a second group right behind that they would still be fine with having at the site in case the rank goes beyond that initial group. It pragmatically makes sense once you experience the other side of the equation.

It's fairly common. The logistics it takes to schedule and have faculty set aside time is pretty intensive. So, they interview their top group, and rank a second group right behind that they would still be fine with having at the site in case the rank goes beyond that initial group. It pragmatically makes sense once you experience the other side of the equation.
That does make sense logistically, thanks for the insight into "the other side" :)

To add onto what others have said, you are not in their top tier that they have alloted time to interview (and more actively 'recruit' to their site) but they believe you are qualified and would prefer to match with you than go into Phase 2.

If this is a site that you'd be fine going to without meeting staff or having a chance to get a feel for the program, rank them accordingly. Or leave them unranked if you don't feel comfortable matching there.
One site I applied to, I used the wrong DCT name although the rest of the letter is congruent with the actual site. I wonder if I still stand a chance? =..(
Some people might be very nit picky but if everything else, including specific details about why this site is a good fit, rotations you'd like to do, etc, you should be OK.

@summerbabe and @WisNeuro - sorry for all the questions! But thank you for being so helpful!! I have been curious about the deadline extensions and what they mean? Not enough applicants? Or something else?