2015-2016 University of Puerto Rico Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Do you know what the official criteria are to be classified as a Puerto Rico resident? Thank you

You would have to call and ask the admissions office which criteria they use. For tax purposes you can check out the IRS definition (I mention this because it because schools tend to use it).

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p570/ch01.html

Furthermore, I should point out that the school strongly favors students with strong ties to Puerto Rico. To determine this they look at where you were born, where your parents were born, where you went to H.S. and where you went to college. If "Puerto Rico" is the answer to 3 out of 4 of those questions you are considered to have strong ties. You will be asked these questions not only on AMCAS but also on the secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
I'm applying to the University of Puerto Rico, PMS and UCC. All 3 have specific forms for their evaluation letters and when I called they told me that I can send them directly to the university instead of sending them through AMCAS. Does that means that I don't have to put any letter of recommendation on my AMCAS profile?
Thanks for the help!

I would recommend that you send the Ponce and UCC letters through AMCAS that way you have proof that it was sent and received. Also while the information you received on the phone is probably correct Ponce’s site specifically states “Three letters of recommendation (two from professors and one written by an individual familiar with the applicant’s skills and abilities) or a composite letter from a premedical committee. Must be submitted to AMCAS.” It’s better to be safe than sorry.

I would recommend that you send the Ponce and UCC letters through AMCAS that way you have proof that it was sent and received. Also while the information you received on the phone is probably correct Ponce’s site specifically states “Three letters of recommendation (two from professors and one written by an individual familiar with the applicant’s skills and abilities) or a composite letter from a premedical committee. Must be submitted to AMCAS.” It’s better to be safe than sorry.

I'll do that. Thanks!

Hola! Any MCAT 2015 takers?

Just trying to spark up a conversation in this thread since this is one of my favorite schools. Are you Puerto Rican?

No, but I have Puerto Rican ties and I speak Spanish. What about you? Why is it one of your favorite schools?

No, but I have Puerto Rican ties and I speak Spanish. What about you? Why is it one of your favorite schools?
Because I'm already in the UPR system, which I love, I know and admire some UPR med grads, and the tuition is insanely low!

Hi @malamia. As a UPR Med student, I'll be happy to answer any questions you have if I can.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do they have a new formula for admissions? UPRRP here.

Do they have a new formula for admissions? UPRRP here.
UPRB!
The admissions office told me recently that me that they're not sure yet because the committee has not started evaluating applications yet. I'm pretty sure they'll stick to percentiles when it comes to the MCAT, though. They also told me that the latino 50th percentile is 490 according to AMCAS.

I reaally hope this is true!!

Did you take the new one?

UPRB!
The admissions office told me recently that me that they're not sure yet because the committee has not started evaluating applications yet. I'm pretty sure they'll stick to percentiles when it comes to the MCAT, though. They also told me that the latino 50th percentile is 490 according to AMCAS.

I reaally hope this is true!!

Did you take the new one?

I will be applying next cycle but was interested in this cycle since my best friend is currently applying. I thought that the new median for UPR was going to be around 501-502. If the hispanic percentile is around 490 that would be nice for you and others.

I will be applying next cycle but was interested in this cycle since my best friend is currently applying. I thought that the new median for UPR was going to be around 501-502. If the hispanic percentile is around 490 that would be nice for you and others.
I forgot to say that the 490 is for test takers, not matriculating students. 501-502 makes total sense when comparing with percentiles from last cycle.

I agree, the median is likely to be around 501-502. Based on where my class was (old) MCAT wise, I'd say 501+ is where you'd need to be to have a good shot (assuming GPA’s are up to snuff).

I agree, the median is likely to be around 501-502. Based on where my class was (old) MCAT wise, I'd say 501+ is where you'd need to be to have a good shot (assuming GPA’s are up to snuff).
I got a 503(27 in terms of old percentiles) but my 3.5 GPA kinda weighs me down. Hoping that MCAT and my EC's help me out.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a 503(27 in terms of old percentiles) but my 3.5 GPA kinda weighs me down. Hoping that MCAT and my EC's help me out.

Also take into account the “bonus classes” (6 credits beyond the required classes in Bio, Chem, Physics and math) they can make a difference if you have them.

Also remember that they ask for transcripts from this semester and adjust your formula accordingly. So if you do well you can potentially get a small bump in your GPA + bonus points for those extra classes.

Also take into account the “bonus classes” (6 credits beyond the required classes in Bio, Chem, Physics and math) they can make a difference if you have them.
Yeah, I have the six for Bio and three for Chem. Do you know, by any chance, exactly how the formula works and what is the threshold to get an interview invite?

I only know about 40%MCAT/ 40% GPA/ 10% LoRs/ 10% Interview

Yeah, I have the six for Bio and three for Chem. Do you know, by any chance, exactly how the formula works and what is the threshold to get an interview invite?

I only know about 40%MCAT/ 40% GPA/ 10% LoRs/ 10% Interview

LoL. I tried to be sneaky and ask the secretary all these formula questions last year but there were certain things she wouldn’t tell me, like the interview and acceptance thresholds.

However she did explain that the thresholds were fluid and that they initially set a high one and adjust downward from December to March. They start by ranking everyone using the formula and setting a high threshold. So the first few people that get interviews and acceptances are the people with great numbers (4.0 GPA, 35 MCAT). From there they bring the threshold down and get the next group and so on. The adcoms met every 2 weeks, so the process basically went like this: people at the top of the list get interviews, adcoms met and discussed 2 weeks’ worth of applicants, acceptances got handed out and the people who were borderline got shuffled back into the pile for the next meeting, rinse and repeat until March.

The time between interview invite, interview and acceptance is relatively short. In my case I got a call out of the blue and was basically asked “Hey can you interview the day after tomorrow?” and the acceptance showed up on the computer system (RCM online application) like a week later.

Based on your numbers I’d say it’s likely you’ll get an interview.

LoL. I tried to be sneaky and ask the secretary all these formula questions last year but there were certain things she wouldn’t tell me, like the interview and acceptance thresholds.

However she did explain that the thresholds were fluid and that they initially set a high one and adjust downward from December to March. They start by ranking everyone using the formula and setting a high threshold. So the first few people that get interviews and acceptances are the people with great numbers (4.0 GPA, 35 MCAT). From there they bring the threshold down and get the next group and so on. The adcoms met every 2 weeks, so the process basically went like this: people at the top of the list get interviews, adcoms met and discussed 2 weeks’ worth of applicants, acceptances got handed out and the people who were borderline got shuffled back into the pile for the next meeting, rinse and repeat until March.

The time between interview invite, interview and acceptance is relatively short. In my case I got a call out of the blue and was basically asked “Hey can you interview the day after tomorrow?” and the acceptance showed up on the computer system (RCM online application) like a week later.

Based on your numbers I’d say it’s likely you’ll get an interview.
Awesome. Thanks! Also, what kind of questions did you get in your interview? I've always read that I must be prepared to have educated opinions on subjects like health care policy and recent health related hot topics. I have my Flipboard feed full of health related articles to get a grasp on as much as possible before interviews. Lol.

Ginger, I am just sneaking here! I am part of the UPR 2019 as well! jajaja

The formula have a balance for GPA and MCAT score. A person with 3.50 with mcat around 25 and up (with 18-19 in sciences at least in my cycle) was kind of good enough. Everything goes around that formula. Get everything done on time and get excellent LORs!

Awesome. Thanks! Also, what kind of questions did you get in your interview? I've always read that I must be prepared to have educated opinions on subjects like health care policy and recent health related hot topics. I have my Flipboard feed full of health related articles to get a grasp on as much as possible before interviews. Lol.

Sorry for the late response my biochem block ended last week, so we had an exam and a final back to back it was pretty hectic.

Perhaps @luissepu5 could elaborate on his experiences but personally my UPR interview was focused on me. We pretty much spoke about things I’ve done (research, EC’s, my interests, etc.) In fact the second half of my interview was just me and the doctor chatting about wine and our travels. It was a very relaxed and informal interview that focused mainly on getting to know you as a person.

Since I assume you’ll be interviewing at other places I’ll give you a basic rundown on what to expect. I’m going to be purposely vague because some places asked me to sign a NDA. The medical information you need to know is very general. Have an informed opinion on things like euthanasia, medical marijuana, prescription drug abuse, the LGBT community’s relationship with the health care system, etc. In fact you could probably “wing it” and still do well as long as you can put together an intelligent argument. So basically, brush up on general issues to build your confidence but in the end what the interviewer wants isn’t to test your knowledge but your ability to reason.

Other formats you might run into are the MMI and group interviews. MMI was pretty fun for me, don’t be intimidated. It’s basically a series of short interviews or events to make you think on your feet. Again it’s all about your ability to reason and not a test of knowledge. The group interview has its pros and cons. The good part is that you can let others answer questions while you put together a response; the bad part is that if you go last the people before you might say everything you wanted to say.

Last edited:
Also it should go without saying that you need to be able to answer “why you want to be a doctor”, speak intelligently about any research you’ve done, your EC’s and so on.

Sorry for the late response my biochem block ended last week, so we had an exam and a final back to back it was pretty hectic.

Perhaps @luissepu5 could elaborate on his experiences but personally my UPR interview was focused on me. We pretty much spoke about things I’ve done (research, EC’s, my interests, etc.) In fact the second half of my interview was just me and the doctor chatting about wine and our travels. It was a very relaxed and informal interview that focused mainly on getting to know you as a person.

Since I assume you’ll be interviewing at other places I’ll give you a basic rundown on what to expect. I’m going to be purposely vague because some places asked me to sign a NDA. The medical information you need to know is very general. Have an informed opinion on things like euthanasia, medical marijuana, prescription drug abuse, the LGBT community’s relationship with the health care system, etc. In fact you could probably “wing it” and still do well as long as you can put together an intelligent argument. So basically, brush up on general issues to build your confidence but in the end what the interviewer wants isn’t to test your knowledge but your ability to reason.

Other formats you might run into are the MMI and group interviews. MMI was pretty fun for me, don’t be intimidated. It’s basically a series of short interviews or events to make you think on your feet. Again it’s all about your ability to reason and not a test of knowledge. The group interview has its pros and cons. The good part is that you can let others answer questions while you put together a response; the bad part is that if you go last the people before you might say everything you wanted to say.

Awesome! Thanks for all the info. I am still kind of scared of the MMI though.. UCC.

Awesome! Thanks for all the info. I am still kind of scared of the MMI though.. UCC.

Don't be scare of MMI. In UCC thread 2014-2015 I posted my experience from their MMI. It's as follow:
"Son 5 estaciones! Es bien dinámico el proceso. La primera estación es un caso que tienes que discutir con todos los demás que estan siendo entrevistado (solos mientras los graban). Luego las otras salas le ponen distintas situaciones y los entrevistadores les hacen preguntas (estas son individuales). Una de las salas de rotacion es una entrevista personal. Cada rotacion son 7 minutos. 1 estación grupal y las otras individuales. En realidad estuvo chevere y les va a encantar!!!! Exito"

I recommend reading previous years threads of the application cycle so you will be well informed. I went to all interviews in Puerto Rico Med's Schools if you need some input or you can go to 2014-2015 threads and read people experience during the cycle.

Interviews in UPR started last year in December 2014 around the second week until 3rd week highest gpa and MCAT combine (around 3.90+ with 26+ mcat (cumulative of 20-21+ in sciences Biological and Physical). Then they restarted interviews about the beginning of 3rd week of January (After christmas break, the three kings, Octavitas and you name it LOL ) until around third week of march or so. The formula if you want info ( i know a lot), they accepted this year normal round until ~78% after mcat (40%) , gap (40%), interview (10%), LOR (10%), etc (supposedly they give some points for research but don't know nothing about this). The alternate were around 76-77%. In the formula it counts up to two decimal numbers. Hope all this info helps.

Have to go, need to hit Histology material like Ginger for the next test LOL

small edit just for reference: the lowest data I have heard was about a mcat of 22 (probably a quite good cumulative in sciences of 17) and 4.00 I think.

Last edited:
Don't be scare of MMI. In UCC thread 2014-2015 I posted my experience from their MMI. It's as follow:
"Son 5 estaciones! Es bien dinámico el proceso. La primera estación es un caso que tienes que discutir con todos los demás que estan siendo entrevistado (solos mientras los graban). Luego las otras salas le ponen distintas situaciones y los entrevistadores les hacen preguntas (estas son individuales). Una de las salas de rotacion es una entrevista personal. Cada rotacion son 7 minutos. 1 estación grupal y las otras individuales. En realidad estuvo chevere y les va a encantar!!!! Exito"

I recommend reading previous years threads of the application cycle so you will be well informed. I went to all interviews in Puerto Rico Med's Schools if you need some input or you can go to 2014-2015 threads and read people experience during the cycle.

Interviews in UPR started last year in December 2014 around the second week until 3rd week highest gpa and MCAT combine (around 3.90+ with 26+ mcat (cumulative of 20-21+ in sciences Biological and Physical). Then they restarted interviews about the beginning of 3rd week of January (After christmas break, the three kings, Octavitas and you name it LOL ) until around third week of march or so. The formula if you want info ( i know a lot), they accepted this year normal round until ~78% after mcat (40%) , gap (40%), interview (10%), LOR (10%), etc (supposedly they give some points for research but don't know nothing about this). The alternate were around 76-77%. In the formula it counts up to two decimal numbers. Hope all this info helps.

Have to go, need to hit Histology material like Ginger for the next test LOL

small edit just for reference: the lowest data I have heard was about a mcat of 22 (probably a quite good cumulative in sciences of 17) and 4.00 I think.

Gracias por la info!
Yo tengo un MCAT por encima de el promedio del RCM pero me preocupa un poco mi GPA que está en los 3.5. Me encantaría que me entrevistaran en diciembre!!

Tengo una pregunta. ¿Este semestre de ahora (ago-dic) cuenta para mi GPA? ¿Yo le tengo que enviar una transcripción actualizada a admisiones?

Gracias por la info!
Yo tengo un MCAT por encima de el promedio del RCM pero me preocupa un poco mi GPA que está en los 3.5. Me encantaría que me entrevistaran en diciembre!!

Tengo una pregunta. ¿Este semestre de ahora (ago-dic) cuenta para mi GPA? ¿Yo le tengo que enviar una transcripción actualizada a admisiones?

Sí, cuenta hasta diciembre. Y si, tienes que enviar nuevamente transcripción en enero a RCM. Yo envié transcripción a todas las escuelas de aquí en PR en enero otra vez. Si cogiste cursos en otra universidad tienes que enviar a RCM solo una vez ahora y a la vez a AMCAS.

Sí, cuenta hasta diciembre. Y si, tienes que enviar nuevamente transcripción en enero a RCM. Yo envié transcripción a todas las escuelas de aquí en PR en enero otra vez. Si cogiste cursos en otra universidad tienes que enviar a RCM solo una vez ahora y a la vez a AMCAS.

Yay! Eso significa que maybe me puedo poner en 3.6! Pues veremos.. Hopefully, nos conocemos en persona como estudiantes! *fingers crossed*

Ustedes que son estudiantes de primer a~o..

Los cursos hacen buen uso de tecnologia (transcribir, lectures online, grabaciones en video, PPT disponibles, etc) ?

Ustedes que son estudiantes de primer a~o..

Los cursos hacen buen uso de tecnologia (transcribir, lectures online, grabaciones en video, PPT disponibles, etc) ?
Saludos! Las clases se graban, pero depende del profesor. Para Bioquimica, todas se grabaron. Para Structure and Development/Physio, depende el profesor y la mayoria no graban para que los estudiantes asistan a los lectures. Estudiar los ppt y handouts es key, pocos leen los capitulos de los libros.

Reactions: 2 users
RCM formula last year. Changed my stats in the file but it gives a lot of good information.

EDIT: Deleted previous pic due to lack of explanation. Now it includes explanation. In gpa, just multiply the AMCAS score *100 and you will get the respective points in the C column. Enjoy :)

Attachments

• RCM.png
    RCM.png
    199.2 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Saludos!
Tengo varias dudas sobre la entrevista. Primero, ¿cómo hicieron el portafolio?, ¿debería ser algo formal? Y segundo, cómo se prepararon y que recursos utlizaron para la entrevista.
Thanks!!

Saludos!
Tengo varias dudas sobre la entrevista. Primero, ¿cómo hicieron el portafolio?, ¿debería ser algo formal? Y segundo, cómo se prepararon y que recursos utlizaron para la entrevista.
Thanks!!
Hola!

Mi portfolio fué bien "quality over quantity", muchas fotos, poco texto y pequeñas descripciones debajo de las fotos. Lo hice bien colorido y sin miedo a expresar mis gustos e intereses. Es TU portafolio, debe representarte a ti como persona y lo que has hecho hasta el momento. El entrevistador va a mirar tu portfolio y si ve algo interesante te va a preguntar sobre la experiencia. Tambien puedes dirigir al entrevistador a alguna pagina en especifico si estan hablando de x o y experiencia. Peeeero, medschool es conservative land. Puede ser que a tu entrevistador no le guste algo visually appealing y prefiera un portfolio "serio".

Para la entrevista, hay videos en youtube con ejemplos y mock interviews.
1. Full suit es law. Chaqueta y pantalón del mismo estilo, camisa y corbata/bow.
2. Es bien importante el saludo inicial: firm handshake, mantener contacto visual con los ojos de la persona y sonríe, estas siendo considerado para freaking med school!
3. No cruces las piernas ni te sientas muy comodo en la silla aunque tu entrevistador este tirao' pa atras en su silla. Ambos pies en el piso y derechito, pero relax y confident.
4. Toma tiempo para pensar tus contestaciones/ be honest.

La entrevista es la más llevadera de las escuelas de PR en mi opinión. Vas a tener una conversación relax.

Bajo la puntuacion de entrevista cairia lo de research y las actividades extracurriculares?

Has anyone got an email saying that they received your amcas and transcripts? Because PSM and UCC wrote to me, but RCM hasn't. Do they wait for the LORs to write?
Maybe if I call they'll tell me if they received everything, right?

Has anyone got an email saying that they received your amcas and transcripts? Because PSM and UCC wrote to me, but RCM hasn't. Do they wait for the LORs to write?
Maybe if I call they'll tell me if they received everything, right?
Yeah, they sent a 'complete' email.
I think that they'll only send the email, though, when everything is in, including LORs. But you can call. I've called about a million times, lol.