2015-2016 University of Puerto Rico Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, they sent a 'complete' email.
I think that they'll only send the email, though, when everything is in, including LORs. But you can call. I've called about a million times, lol.

haha, me too. but i'll call again to be sure they received everything. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I received the "completed application" email after they received the LoRs. I believe they are sending emails to notify those students who have their application completed, along with all the documents required, including the LoRs. If you haven't received it yet, it may be due to a LoR that still hasn't arrived or some other document. Calling is the best option. Éxito

Edit: Does anyone know how will they be calculating the new MCAT2015 vs. the old MCAT? 'cause this cycle will have both MCATs and I was wondering if anyone knew how will they factor that in.

Last edited:
I received the "completed application" email after they received the LoRs. I believe they are sending emails to notify those students who have their application completed, along with all the documents required, including the LoRs. If you haven't received it yet, it may be due to a LoR that still hasn't arrived or some other document. Calling is the best option. Éxito

Edit: Does anyone know how will they be calculating the new MCAT2015 vs. the old MCAT? 'cause this cycle will have both MCATs and I was wondering if anyone knew how will they factor that in.
I'm just going by percentiles.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
Just got some information about the weight of the 40% of the MCAT and I wanted to know if somebody could confirm it.
Apparently, the 40% of the new MCAT will be 40% CARS, 20%Phys and chem, 20%bio and biochem and 20% Psyc and soc vs. old MCAT 20%verbal, 40% bio and 40% phys. The person that told me this said that they are still working on the formula. Has anybody heard of this?

Hi!
Just got some information about the weight of the 40% of the MCAT and I wanted to know if somebody could confirm it.
Apparently, the 40% of the new MCAT will be 40% CARS, 20%Phys and chem, 20%bio and biochem and 20% Psyc and soc vs. old MCAT 20%verbal, 40% bio and 40% phys. The person that told me this said that they are still working on the formula. Has anybody heard of this?
They flipped the whole thing?? I don't mind at all but it seems odd. I'll call tomorrow and relay what the say.

Surprised, I was expecting a very different breakdown ( 30% Phys, 30%Bio, 20% CARS, 20%Psyc)

They flipped the whole thing?? I don't mind at all but it seems odd. I'll call tomorrow and relay what the say.
I dont mind either, but it does seem odd. Please confirm this info!

Surprised, I was expecting a very different breakdown ( 30% Phys, 30%Bio, 20% CARS, 20%Psyc)
This makes a lot more sense

Reactions: 2 users
Hello! I'm applying to both UPR-RCM and UCC. I graduated almost ten years ago from UPRRP and got a masters from there as well in molecular biology. I currently work as a lab tech at both UCC and RCM, so I have plenty of research experience. But I haven't done any physician shadowing. How much does that weigh in?

I'm more interested in RCM over UCC because it's much cheaper and I like the atmosphere there. I'm a bit worried about the portfolio since it's been a long time since I've been out of school, a lot of the stuff I did, I hope I saved it somewhere! Anyway, does that look good enough for at least an interview?

Any opinions would be great!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I'm applying to both UPR-RCM and UCC. I graduated almost ten years ago from UPRRP and got a masters from there as well in molecular biology. I currently work as a lab tech at both UCC and RCM, so I have plenty of research experience. But I haven't done any physician shadowing. How much does that weigh in?

My GPA undergrad is 3.68, my sGPA is higher than that but I don't remember the exact number. My graduate GPA is in the 3.50s and I got MCAT of 501. I did great in the biochem part but the psych part, I did horrible. Partly because I'm missing 6 credits in social sciences which I will take next semester at UPRRP.

I'm more interested in RCM over UCC because it's much cheaper and I like the atmosphere there. I'm a bit worried about the portfolio since it's been a long time since I've been out of school, a lot of the stuff I did, I hope I saved it somewhere! Anyway, does that look good enough for at least an interview?

Your numbers are about average but you have research at RCM (a huge plus) and a masters so I’d say you have a very good chance of getting an interview.

Just got my II by phone!

Ya tuve mi entrevista el lunes! Bien easy-going, ningun tipo de preguntas sobre sistema publico o de salud de PR. Basicamente una conversacion sobre mi. Me dijeron que el comite se puede reunir el martes 15 de diciembre pero que no prometen tomar decisiones para esa fecha. Lo mas seguro es esperar a que regresen del receso navideño peroooo no descarto esa esperanza de recibir esta carta antes del 25!

Ya tuve mi entrevista el lunes! Bien easy-going, ningun tipo de preguntas sobre sistema publico o de salud de PR. Basicamente una conversacion sobre mi. Me dijeron que el comite se puede reunir el martes 15 de diciembre pero que no prometen tomar decisiones para esa fecha. Lo mas seguro es esperar a que regresen del receso navideño peroooo no descarto esa esperanza de recibir esta carta antes del 25!
Que bueno! Pregunta, tu enviaste todos los papeles temprano (septiembre)? Sabes si ellos siguen el orden en que reciben los documentos para llamar a entrevista?

Members don't see this ad :)
Que bueno! Pregunta, tu enviaste todos los papeles temprano (septiembre)? Sabes si ellos siguen el orden en que reciben los documentos para llamar a entrevista?
Yo someti mi AMCAS a finales de agosto y para finales de octubre recibi un email de ellos diciendome que mi solicitud ya estaba completa (incluyendo mis cartas de evaluacion) No estoy seguro en cuanto al orden. Tengo compañeros con solicitudes similares a la mia en cuanto a competencia que sometieron los documentos antes que yo y no los han llamado a entrevista.

Yo someti mi AMCAS a finales de agosto y para finales de octubre recibi un email de ellos diciendome que mi solicitud ya estaba completa (incluyendo mis cartas de evaluacion) No estoy seguro en cuanto al orden. Tengo compañeros con solicitudes similares a la mia en cuanto a competencia que sometieron los documentos antes que yo y no los han llamado a entrevista.

Ok, a mi me enviaron el email a finales de noviembre así que seré paciente. Gracias y éxito con la contestación!

El primer grupo de aceptación de mi ciclo (2014-2015) les llegó la carta como la tercera o cuarta semana de Enero 2015 (algo así).

Your numbers are about average but you have research at RCM (a huge plus) and a masters so I’d say you have a very good chance of getting an interview.
How likely are nontraditional students (30+ years old) to be accepted at UPR? How about if they have no background on biology (except for undergrad courses)?

My GPA undergrad is 3.68, my sGPA is higher than that but I don't remember the exact number. My graduate GPA is in the 3.50s and I got MCAT of 501. I did great in the biochem part but the psych part, I did horrible. Partly because I'm missing 6 credits in social sciences which I will take next semester at UPRRP.

Hola! Yo tambien hice mi bachillerato hace 10 años y actualmente estoy haciendo estudios graduados. Resulta que no me apasiona lo que hago y estoy planificando comenzar una carrera en medicina. Me gustaria saber como fue tu experiencia en todo proceso. Aun me faltan cursos que debo tomar, no tengo trabajo voluntario, ni el "shadowing", y la investigacion que hago ahora no es biomedico. Tendré posibilidad de entrar? Si no termino el grado, arruino todas las posibilidades de entrar?

Te agradezco cualquier consejito. Exito en tu solicitud!

@aynara

Saludos!!
Entiendo que no debe haber algun problema. Lo más importante es tener un bachillerato que sea en cualquier concentración en lo que a ti te guste, cumplir con los créditos y las clases que te piden(biol, quim, orgo...) y me parece que haber tomado el MCAT no más de 3 años. En el caso de extracurriculares debes hacer cosas que a ti te gusten y te apasionen, la investigación no tiene que ser en algo de biomédica sino en lo que tu desees(mi investigación fue en ingenieria). Trabajo voluntario y shadowing siempre son recomendados ya que podrás tener una visión de si la medicina de verdad es lo que deseas, te aconsejo que lo hagas si lo deseas. Las posibilidades de entrar estan determinadas principlamente por el GPA, MCAT, cartas de recomendacion y la entrevista.

How likely are nontraditional students (30+ years old) to be accepted at UPR? How about if they have no background on biology (except for undergrad courses)?

There are a few non-trads in my class so it’s not really an issue. As long as your numbers are competitive you'll be fine. In fact, age can actually help you depending on what you've been doing during those years.

Hola! Yo tambien hice mi bachillerato hace 10 años y actualmente estoy haciendo estudios graduados. Resulta que no me apasiona lo que hago y estoy planificando comenzar una carrera en medicina. Me gustaria saber como fue tu experiencia en todo proceso. Aun me faltan cursos que debo tomar, no tengo trabajo voluntario, ni el "shadowing", y la investigacion que hago ahora no es biomedico. Tendré posibilidad de entrar? Si no termino el grado, arruino todas las posibilidades de entrar?

Te agradezco cualquier consejito. Exito en tu solicitud!

Hay Gente en mi clase con bachilleratos en Química, Biología, Ingenieria, etc. Mientras mas cursos en biología enfocados en el humano, más fácil se te hará la carrera de Medicina pero no es necesario. Es necesario los requisitos mínimos, buen GPA y MCAT. Con respecto a lo demás, yo solo tenia investigación y no me causó problemas. Nunca hice Shadowing ni trabajo voluntario y no me afectó en proceso de admisión. Eso si, pude hablar sobre mi investigación la cual no hice mucho tampoco pero tenia experiencia en algo y pues en actividades culturales (Rondalla - Grupo musical de música típica).

Hello! Has anyone else been called for an interview? Also, do you guys know the percentage of acceptance of interviewed candidates?
Thanks and good luck!!

Hello! Has anyone else been called for an interview? Also, do you guys know the percentage of acceptance of interviewed candidates?
Thanks and good luck!!

I was called for an interview last week. No idea how many have been called before me.

And I would love to know that ratio too!

I was called for an interview last week. No idea how many have been called before me.

And I would love to know that ratio too!
Felicidades!! I was also called, have the interview this week Lets hope for the best

Felicidades!! I was also called, have the interview this week Lets hope for the best

Felicidades a ti tambien! Good luck! My interview is next week. This week was way too soon for me. Hahaha

Hi!
Has anybody heard anything new?

Hi!
Hello!

pues conmigo nada pero apenas fui en enero.. puedes verificar tu status en la solicitud online del recinto. La carta de acceptación te llega por correo pero la decision la puedes ver online desde el día que la toman. Tengo un amigo que fue en diciembre y todavia no le han dicho.

Hi!

Hola! Yo tuve entrevista la semana pasada y me dijeron que esperara recibir respuesta en dos meses...

Anda, la espera es larga. Yo tengo entrevista mañana!

Hello!

pues conmigo nada pero apenas fui en enero.. puedes verificar tu status en la solicitud online del recinto. La carta de acceptación te llega por correo pero la decision la puedes ver online desde el día que la toman. Tengo un amigo que fue en diciembre y todavia no le han dicho.

Cuál es el enlace para verificar El Progreso de mi aplicación ? Me entrevisté la semana pasada

Cuál es el enlace para verificar El Progreso de mi aplicación ? Me entrevisté la semana pasada
donde mismo pagaste el fee de solicitud

Yo me entreviste ayer en el recinto. En que parte de la solicitud donde pagamos el fee se supone que salga la decision final?

Hi!

Yes, that is the new formula for this 2016 cycle.

Yo me entreviste ayer en el recinto. En que parte de la solicitud donde pagamos el fee se supone que salga la decision final?
Creo que es en la solicitud de admisión entras en "programa" y se supone que lo diga en "decisión". Por cierto, saben si ya han aceptado a alguien?

Creo que es en la solicitud de admisión entras en "programa" y se supone que lo diga en "decisión". Por cierto, saben si ya han aceptado a alguien?

Gracias. Yo tengo algun@s amig@s que han tenido entrevista y ningun@ ha recibido una contestación aún.

Según me han dicho (rumor de pasillo jajajaja así que no sé cuán creíble es), todavía no han aceptado a nadie. No sé si sea verdad.

Hey guys, MS2 here, I see you already have the OCD thing down so I wouldn't worry too much about getting in. My main advice, would be not to fap too much before the interview so you give some good eye contact and a firm handshake. If you need more advice feel free to ask.

Me dijeron que ya llegaron unas cartas de aceptación, no se cuan cierto sea.

Verifique mi solicitud uniforme y dice que ya fui admitido! :soexcited:Ahora a esperar la carta para que sea completamente oficial, exito a todos!!:xf:

Verifique mi solicitud uniforme y dice que ya fui admitido! :soexcited:Ahora a esperar la carta para que sea completamente oficial, exito a todos!!:xf:
Felicidades! Cuando fue que te entrevistaron?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Felicidades! Yo sigo en la espera.

Saludos, en que lugar recomiendan tomar el examen? Uno que tenga cubiculos.