You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 University of South Alabama Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Reapplicant here - MCAT July 18th, probably complete late August.
Good luck everybody
Good luck everybody
This is my first time applying hoping to get in taking the new 2015 MCAT and doing summer research as well as teaching a college course. Praying to be accepted to this school this cycle. I also have completed a master's in biomedical science at William Carey University as an SMP program. Hope to be complete in either August or September. Good luck everyone applying
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Paper based application forreal?!
Can you post the secondary?
The only writing part of the secondary is an optional essay. 500 words maxCan you post the secondary?
"The learning community at the University of South Alabama College of Medicine benefi ts from the inclusion of students with broad life experiences, as well as students from diverse backgrounds. The Admissions Committee encourages you to share life experiences that you may have had and/or important factors in your background that illustrate your readiness for practicing medicine in a multicultural society."
Also explain any ties to Alabama if you are OOS.
Paper based application forreal?!
LOL, yup. Still a very nice school, just rather old school in that department.
Just sent it in. OOS RD with decent ties to the state.
Mailed my secondary today
Wow OOS applicant here...it says oos applicants have to be very competitive...I checked on MSAR and only like 5 matriculated last year. Should I submit a secondary here? I have a GPA of 3.65, sGPA of 3.48, MCAT of 36, decent research with posters but no publication (yet).
No real ties to the state
No real ties to the state
I would try UAB before USA if you're out of state. USA's focus is much more on in-staters. At least, it seems like that to a local that's been looking at this stuff for a while, so take with a grain of salt
Last edited:
Mr. Scott told me you have to exhibit strong ties to the state of Alabama. He said that multiple times during one of our last conversations.
going early decision. reapp. hoping for some better luck this cycle been stuck on the waitlist the past two years.Just popping my head in. I'm applying early decision. Anyone else?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have uncles and cousins from my mother's side that have lived there ever since i've been alive and a few years ago my grandfather moved there. Are those strong ties?
D
deleted702292
Any sense on when they start sending out II?
D
deleted702292
Never mind, this answers it: "Your secondary application has been received by our office and is under review. If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified by email approximately 2-3 weeks prior to your interview date. All of our interviews are conducted on Wednesdays, October through March."Any sense on when they start sending out II?
Got another email stating the arrival of my secondary. Not sure why, but OK.
D
deleted702292
Samesies. Of course my initial reaction was COULD IT BE? Nope, it wasn't.Got another email stating the arrival of my secondary. Not sure why, but OK.
Same here. Maybe it was the rejection email 🙁Got another email stating the arrival of my secondary. Not sure why, but OK.
I doubt they would consider that strong ties. I think they're thinking more along the lines of you lived there for a long time, but had to move for whatever reason. Things like that. Since they don't accept a lof of out of state students they're kind of strict on the matter.I have uncles and cousins from my mother's side that have lived there ever since i've been alive and a few years ago my grandfather moved there. Are those strong ties?
as long as they bring up your GPA, I don't see why not.Hello can submitting updated post bacc grades improve chances in getting an interview?
I think this is a smart move! I know people who got in last year in your situation!going early decision. reapp. hoping for some better luck this cycle been stuck on the waitlist the past two years.
yep waiting to hear back. My secondary has been in for a week or two now. Anyone heard back on early decision interviews?I think this is a smart move! I know people who got in last year in your situation!
First-time applicant here. In-state. Submitted my secondary in the mail yesterday afternoon!
Have you got an interview invite for early decision yet? I haven't and the deadline is Tuesday.yep waiting to hear back. My secondary has been in for a week or two now. Anyone heard back on early decision interviews?
I haven't heard of anyone getting an interview as of yet, which means it'll probably be tomorrow or tuesday. Does basically everyone who applies and qualifies get an interview? I figure not that many people go early decision, so most would get an invite.I applied ED and have not heard anything about an interview. I am hoping they will send it out tomorrow. Last year it looks like they sent it out on 8/26.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know someone who is currently in M1 at South Alabama... he did early decision last year, so I can ask him when his II came through. Hold tight.
EDIT: The II came in mid-first week of September for a mid-September interview... as we know, things differ from year to year, but maybe those of you waiting to hear back will get something at some point in the coming week?
EDIT: The II came in mid-first week of September for a mid-September interview... as we know, things differ from year to year, but maybe those of you waiting to hear back will get something at some point in the coming week?
Last edited:
So if the deadline for the secondary is today, and the committee, i presume, meets on Wednesday's, wouldn't it make sense for the invites to come out Thursday or so. Because i feel like it would be hard to evaluate someone's app in just an hour or so.
Well the email from Peggy confirming that they received my completed secondary said that ED applicants will be notified by email about an interview by September 1. I'm not sure how that works, since they will not be receiving some of the secondaries until today, since today is also the deadline for receiving those. I think if I don't get an email by 2 or 3 pm, depending on how busy I am at work, I'll send a quick email and ask if they have sent out the ED II or not.So if the deadline for the secondary is today, and the committee, i presume, meets on Wednesday's, wouldn't it make sense for the invites to come out Thursday or so. Because i feel like it would be hard to evaluate someone's app in just an hour or so.
I will see y'all there then. Got mine this morning.
looks like more people than usual going ED. maybe its just more people on here actually posting.
Do USA email you when they receive your secondary? If so how long did it take for you to hear back from them? I mailed mines on the 9th from Florida.
EDIT: I see from previous post that they do email you that they received the secondary. How long did it take for them to email you after you mailed it?
EDIT: I see from previous post that they do email you that they received the secondary. How long did it take for them to email you after you mailed it?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do USA email you when they receive your secondary? If so how long did it take for you to hear back from them? I mailed mines on the 9th from Florida.
EDIT: I see from previous post that they do email you that they received the secondary. How long did it take for them to email you after you mailed it?
Pretty quick... From what I understand, they send out updates like that on Fridays.
Good luck all ED people who receive their phone call tomorrow!!!
Thanks, I am eagerly awaiting!Good luck all ED people who receive their phone call tomorrow!!!
Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
II today:
IS first time applicant
Edit: Interview is scheduled for October 7.
IS first time applicant
Edit: Interview is scheduled for October 7.
Last edited:
Good luck! I don't know what the new mcat scores mean but that's a great GPA. South's interviews are super chill so just be yourself and be able to talk about your application and it'll be a good day.II today:
IS first time applicant, 3.95c/3.92s, 507 MCAT (127CP/127B/127CARS/126PS). Submitted secondary August 26.
Edit: Interview is scheduled for October 7.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
