2015-2016 University of South Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Reapplicant here - MCAT July 18th, probably complete late August.

Good luck everybody

This is my first time applying hoping to get in taking the new 2015 MCAT and doing summer research as well as teaching a college course. Praying to be accepted to this school this cycle. I also have completed a master's in biomedical science at William Carey University as an SMP program. Hope to be complete in either August or September. Good luck everyone applying

Members don't see this ad :)
OSS here with tons of family that live in alabama. Hopefully going to get some love. Got my secondary today and planning on sending it out tomorrow! Good luck to everyone!

Paper based application forreal?!

Can you post the secondary?
The only writing part of the secondary is an optional essay. 500 words max
"The learning community at the University of South Alabama College of Medicine benefi ts from the inclusion of students with broad life experiences, as well as students from diverse backgrounds. The Admissions Committee encourages you to share life experiences that you may have had and/or important factors in your background that illustrate your readiness for practicing medicine in a multicultural society."

Also explain any ties to Alabama if you are OOS.

Reactions: 1 user
Just popping my head in. I'm applying early decision. Anyone else?

Just sent it in. OOS RD with decent ties to the state.

Wow OOS applicant here...it says oos applicants have to be very competitive...I checked on MSAR and only like 5 matriculated last year. Should I submit a secondary here? I have a GPA of 3.65, sGPA of 3.48, MCAT of 36, decent research with posters but no publication (yet).

No real ties to the state

I would try UAB before USA if you're out of state. USA's focus is much more on in-staters. At least, it seems like that to a local that's been looking at this stuff for a while, so take with a grain of salt

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Mr. Scott told me you have to exhibit strong ties to the state of Alabama. He said that multiple times during one of our last conversations.

I have uncles and cousins from my mother's side that have lived there ever since i've been alive and a few years ago my grandfather moved there. Are those strong ties?

Any sense on when they start sending out II?

Any sense on when they start sending out II?
Never mind, this answers it: "Your secondary application has been received by our office and is under review. If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified by email approximately 2-3 weeks prior to your interview date. All of our interviews are conducted on Wednesdays, October through March."

Got another email stating the arrival of my secondary. Not sure why, but OK.

I have uncles and cousins from my mother's side that have lived there ever since i've been alive and a few years ago my grandfather moved there. Are those strong ties?
I doubt they would consider that strong ties. I think they're thinking more along the lines of you lived there for a long time, but had to move for whatever reason. Things like that. Since they don't accept a lof of out of state students they're kind of strict on the matter.

Hello can submitting updated post bacc grades improve chances in getting an interview?

going early decision. reapp. hoping for some better luck this cycle been stuck on the waitlist the past two years.
I think this is a smart move! I know people who got in last year in your situation!

I think this is a smart move! I know people who got in last year in your situation!
yep waiting to hear back. My secondary has been in for a week or two now. Anyone heard back on early decision interviews?

First-time applicant here. In-state. Submitted my secondary in the mail yesterday afternoon!

yep waiting to hear back. My secondary has been in for a week or two now. Anyone heard back on early decision interviews?
Have you got an interview invite for early decision yet? I haven't and the deadline is Tuesday.

I applied ED and have not heard anything about an interview. I am hoping they will send it out tomorrow. Last year it looks like they sent it out on 8/26.

I applied ED and have not heard anything about an interview. I am hoping they will send it out tomorrow. Last year it looks like they sent it out on 8/26.
I haven't heard of anyone getting an interview as of yet, which means it'll probably be tomorrow or tuesday. Does basically everyone who applies and qualifies get an interview? I figure not that many people go early decision, so most would get an invite.

Yeah I think if you have the scores, you get an interview, but I'm not really sure as I don't know anyone else who has done ED. It does make me feel better though that nobody has heard anything about interview invites.

I know someone who is currently in M1 at South Alabama... he did early decision last year, so I can ask him when his II came through. Hold tight.

EDIT: The II came in mid-first week of September for a mid-September interview... as we know, things differ from year to year, but maybe those of you waiting to hear back will get something at some point in the coming week?

Last edited:
Sure hope so. I'll post here as soon as I hear something.

Nothing today. Tomorrow is the last day. Anybody else?

So if the deadline for the secondary is today, and the committee, i presume, meets on Wednesday's, wouldn't it make sense for the invites to come out Thursday or so. Because i feel like it would be hard to evaluate someone's app in just an hour or so.

So if the deadline for the secondary is today, and the committee, i presume, meets on Wednesday's, wouldn't it make sense for the invites to come out Thursday or so. Because i feel like it would be hard to evaluate someone's app in just an hour or so.
Well the email from Peggy confirming that they received my completed secondary said that ED applicants will be notified by email about an interview by September 1. I'm not sure how that works, since they will not be receiving some of the secondaries until today, since today is also the deadline for receiving those. I think if I don't get an email by 2 or 3 pm, depending on how busy I am at work, I'll send a quick email and ask if they have sent out the ED II or not.

I feel like waiting until the last day, or even past the deadline, to send out IIs is causing me some unnecessary grey hairs...

I will see y'all there then. Got mine this morning.

looks like more people than usual going ED. maybe its just more people on here actually posting.

Good luck to everyone interviewing Wednesday. I'm getting a bit nervous about it but I'm also excited to think I'll have an answer by the end of the month. The waiting is killer.

Do USA email you when they receive your secondary? If so how long did it take for you to hear back from them? I mailed mines on the 9th from Florida.

EDIT: I see from previous post that they do email you that they received the secondary. How long did it take for them to email you after you mailed it?

Do USA email you when they receive your secondary? If so how long did it take for you to hear back from them? I mailed mines on the 9th from Florida.

EDIT: I see from previous post that they do email you that they received the secondary. How long did it take for them to email you after you mailed it?

Pretty quick... From what I understand, they send out updates like that on Fridays.

Good luck all ED people who receive their phone call tomorrow!!!

II today:

IS first time applicant

Edit: Interview is scheduled for October 7.

Last edited:
II today:

IS first time applicant, 3.95c/3.92s, 507 MCAT (127CP/127B/127CARS/126PS). Submitted secondary August 26.

Edit: Interview is scheduled for October 7.
Good luck! I don't know what the new mcat scores mean but that's a great GPA. South's interviews are super chill so just be yourself and be able to talk about your application and it'll be a good day.