2015-2016 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Calling BS on the poster. He's had a grand total of two posts on this site and there they both are.. seems like he made an account just to troll.
Gotcha. Well, in that case, I can confirm that both of the posts you quoted did indeed reflect statements made by UVM admissions during this weekend's interview session. I do not know if that is the full story, or why it seems to be such a black box at the moment, but that's pretty much what was said.
I'd have to agree with you, but what do we really know. However, I cannot see the ad com at any school saying something like that, as to suggest a preference for any particular group of interviewees. My portal says they're interviewing into mid-March, as does an email directly from someone in the admissions office. Only time will tell, I guess--maybe we've all been misled. Best to everyone waiting, and congratulations to those who've been accepted.

If that were a bs post, some people have a really distorted and tasteless sense of humor.
Again, I will confirm that that was essentially a direct paraphrase of the admissions members, but it felt less like a preference and more like a generic "we wish we could accept everyone we love you all so much!!! But yeah some of you are not going to make it." statement, such as almost every med school gives. The first and last groups bit is just straight up psychology, and seemed like an attempt to assuage any concerns that being a part of the 'last' group didn't mean we were low priority or unlikely to get in - again, an attitude most med schools seem to have at interview day.

I did not want to post the 'last group' information myself because I don't know if UVM was oversimplifying, exaggerating, or leaving anything out, etc., and I didn't want to stir things up/stress people unnecessarily with what may be incomplete information. However, since it has come up already, I may as well contribute what I know and hope that my post history shows that I am not the sort to simply troll. I hope there's more to it and the remaining small pool will have opportunities in the future, and if not, I'm sorry to confirm an unwelcome report. Hopefully official communication from the school will clear things up. Best of luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
checked the portal and saw that I have been rejected today, pre II

Members don't see this ad :)
I called them and they said they were no longer sending out II's.

The irony is that I sent in an update letter yesterday, and they said they added it to my file this morning. This is still pre-II so, looks like vermont is a no-go this year for me! I hope everyone that interviewed already went well!

Reactions: 1 users
hahaha, still swimming in the small pool as of today! Guess I'll just stay here forever. Maybe build some pool-side real estate. Have a family. I could have a nice life here.

Reactions: 8 users
hahaha, still swimming in the small pool as of today! Guess I'll just stay here forever. Maybe build some pool-side real estate. Have a family. I could have a nice life here.

I'm still in small pool too ahaha.

Reactions: 1 user
Gotcha. Well, in that case, I can confirm that both of the posts you quoted did indeed reflect statements made by UVM admissions during this weekend's interview session. I do not know if that is the full story, or why it seems to be such a black box at the moment, but that's pretty much what was said.

Again, I will confirm that that was essentially a direct paraphrase of the admissions members, but it felt less like a preference and more like a generic "we wish we could accept everyone we love you all so much!!! But yeah some of you are not going to make it." statement, such as almost every med school gives. The first and last groups bit is just straight up psychology, and seemed like an attempt to assuage any concerns that being a part of the 'last' group didn't mean we were low priority or unlikely to get in - again, an attitude most med schools seem to have at interview day.

I did not want to post the 'last group' information myself because I don't know if UVM was oversimplifying, exaggerating, or leaving anything out, etc., and I didn't want to stir things up/stress people unnecessarily with what may be incomplete information. However, since it has come up already, I may as well contribute what I know and hope that my post history shows that I am not the sort to simply troll. I hope there's more to it and the remaining small pool will have opportunities in the future, and if not, I'm sorry to confirm an unwelcome report. Hopefully official communication from the school will clear things up. Best of luck to everyone.

All right. Thanks for the insight, it's much appreciated.
Well it's been nice swimming with the rest of you in our little pool.. hope things turn out well for everyone in the end.

Was swimming in the small pool and just got kicked out. Peace out Vermont.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone call to find out about decisions for people who interview December 5th?

I emailed two weeks ago and they told me this:
"As we review each application individually, it sometimes does take more time than anticipated. Please continue to check your most up-to-date status on the “Check Your Status” link on our web page at http://www.uvm.edu/medicine/admissions/ and your e-mail. Thank you for your patience."

I know of someone from that interview who got waitlisted though, so I'm not sure what's going on with UVM.

I emailed two weeks ago and they told me this:
"As we review each application individually, it sometimes does take more time than anticipated. Please continue to check your most up-to-date status on the “Check Your Status” link on our web page at http://www.uvm.edu/medicine/admissions/ and your e-mail. Thank you for your patience."

I know of someone from that interview who got waitlisted though, so I'm not sure what's going on with UVM.
They told us they were still working through December folks right now. It's possible that they got through your friend's file, but not ALL files from that date yet.

Interesting that they didn't send out emails and just moved everyone from small pool to rejected on the portal. Kinda dick if you ask me

Reactions: 4 users
Interesting that they didn't send out emails and just moved everyone from small pool to rejected on the portal. Kinda dick if you ask me
At least the portal tells you. Duke's doesn't even do that; you just log in and it's like "hey, at some point we rejected you, go away"

At least Vermont let us know. I have other schools that are supposedly done interviewing and I still haven't gotten an official rejection.
I wish there was less ambiguity in this whole process.

Reactions: 1 users
Very disappointed in how UVM handled this ENTIRE process. It appears some people's applications were never even reviewed..which is absurd.

I was small pooled for 4 months and they never bothered to let me know I wasnt getting an interview, I had to see through the portal.

Poorly done UVM. :annoyed:

I can understand people's frustration here but think about how it is for the reviewers who go through this every year. Parsing through thousands and thousands of applications is not easy. If I recall correctly, this year UVM (and many other schools) received more applications than previous years. Admissions teams really work hard, and they are always trying to improve. If you felt like there are some changes you think future applicants would appreciate reach out to admissions and let them know.

Plus, like others above have mentioned, at least they're not giving the silent treatment--whether they reject you via a mass email (which I'm sure will come soon) or through the portal doesn't seem to matter much in the grand scheme of things you know? Plus, they did say to check the portal regularly for updates to your application.

Best of luck to those waiting to hear back at other schools or post-interview here.

Agree with Magpie. I'm disappointed I didn't get an interview, but appreciate that some notification was still given through the portal. Admissions staff were also really helpful when I sent in updates, etc.. Don't be bitter y'all, it is what it is. I know it hurts :(

Just checked the portal and I too was rejected today. Wooo

12/5 interview friends...

Today has to be the day. I can feel it in my bones.

Reactions: 5 users
This nearly 12 week wait for a decision has been unbearable haha

Rejected when I checked today, but no clue when it updated. Best of luck, all.

Wait listed just now. Interviewed 12/5. Not surprised, I didn't feel particularly strong about the MMI

Wait listed for the second year in a row. Not too happy :(

Rejected on website

Was previously in small pool for a potential interview invite

513 MCAT (11,10,14,10), 3.97 masters GPA, lower ugpa, OOS

Any current medical students go through the process of gaining VT residency?

Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist yet this year? Anyone know how VT's waitlist has moved in the past?

From current students I talked to during my interview day, there's little chance at gaining VT residency. Earlier in this thread someone who grew up in VT and only left for college/work still couldn't get it... they're rather stringent on it.

As Magpie correctly stated, it is difficult to earn "in-state" status for tuition purposes. I'm a graduating 4th year who changed all of my official paperwork/license/etc to VT at the end of my 1st year, but I'm still considered OOS for tuition.

With that said - and as you've no doubt heard at many places you've considered - try to not let money get in the way of the education *you* want.

Med school is a terribly expensive endeavor at the vast majority of US institutions. Even with my substantial loans, there is no school I would have rather gone to than UVMCOM. My plan is to use an IBR or PAYE/RE-PAYE payment plan which will markedly lower the cost of my education and payoff my loan in 10 years, all while I train/work at the hospitals I would be choosing anyway.

If I'm on the waitlist and I am claiming Vermont residency should I fill out the Vermont residency information now or only if I am accepted?

upload_2016-3-11_14-39-44.png

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone get a confirmation email from financial aid that they received the FAFSA yet?

So Vermont has only sent out wait list decisions for the 12/5 interview day? Nobody has been rejected/accepted yet?

Has anyone heard much about WL movement this year? I've sent in a couple of LOI, and called once but it doesn't seem to be much info.