2016-2017 California Northstate University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for your response gnome! What does it mean to be on step 3 for an additional year?

Members don't see this ad.

LCME accreditation is a 5 step process, where 3,4,5 = preliminary, provisional, full. At step 3 of 5, schools are able to begin enrolling students.

For now it's basically just a delay and they can advance once they fix whatever things on the list they got dinged on.

The only tangible effect to students is that 2019 (and likely 2020) students will graduate under provisional accreditation whereas before it was possible for the school to get full at 2019's graduation. ((For residency purposes, it doesn't matter where in the pipeline the school is when you match as long as it is accredited)).

If they were to fall short of provisional again, it's more serious and would likely result in probation.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for your response gnome! What does it mean to be on step 3 for an additional year?

See here:
http://lcme.org/about/accreditation-process-overview/

Step #1: Applicant (not accredited)
Step #2: Candidate (not accredited)
Step #3: Preliminary (accredited)
Step #4: Provisional (accredited)
Step #5: Full (accredited)

Thus, you must be at least at Step #3 to be considered an "accredited" medical school.

There are currently eight un-accredited (or not yet accredited) MD programs in the US:
http://lcme.org/directory/candidate-applicant-programs/

Of the eight:
- 4 are at Step #1: Applicant
- 4 are at Step #2: Candidate

There are currently 141 accredited MD programs in the US:
http://lcme.org/directory/accredited-u-s-programs/

Of the 141:
- 6 are at Step #3: Preliminary (including California Northstate University)
- 2 are at Step #4: Provisional
- 133 are at Step #5: Full (though Saint Louis University is on probation)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So any news on how the students did on step 1?

lol, calm yourself.

By my count <20 people have taken it so far and most that did were this week. Clerkships start mid July and scores take a month to come out.

Reactions: 1 user
Just received a rejection from this school? Better Late then never lol.

Just received a rejection from this school? Better Late then never lol.
lol same. it really is rude though this late in the game, pre-II rejections should be around April or the latest May in my opinion

lol same. it really is rude though this late in the game, pre-II rejections should be around April or the latest May in my opinion

It's definitely not ideal, but CNU isn't the only school that does this. I got rejections for schools I didn't interview with after my orientation at CNU was done, haha. The process is definitely not very kind to applicants, but please don't take it personally. If you didn't have a successful cycle this year, I hope you stay diligent if this is what you want! I got my fair share of rejections, so I know how that can take a toll. Stay positive, and good luck :)

Just got an acceptance call today. Interviewed on the last day, March 5th

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6 users