2016-2017 California Northstate University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still waiting on that pre-II rejection
Lmao! I'm sorry
I am too from some schools

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So Saturday and still no news... has anyone else gotten any communication from the admissions office yet?

To be fair, i wouldn't expect anything this weekend due to the holiday.

Keep the faith!

Reactions: 1 user
To be fair, i wouldn't expect anything this weekend due to the holiday.

Keep the faith!

Thank you! Trying my best here, but want to be at this school so bad. I will end up calling the admissions office next week!

Thank you! Trying my best here, but want to be at this school so bad. I will end up calling the admissions office next week!
We'll probably hear back by Monday or Tuesday!

Anyone hear anything? I guess those who haven't are waitlisted?

Anyone hear anything? I guess those who haven't are waitlisted?
You guys lose hope so fast! Haha it's only 10am let's wait. We may not even hear until tomorrow tbh. They just got back from the long weekend they may need more time to make these decisions!

You guys lose hope so fast! Haha it's only 10am let's wait. We may not even hear until tomorrow tbh. They just got back from the long weekend they may need more time to make these decisions!

Well said. It's only 10AM! I'll start freaking out at 5PM, lol.

From what I've seen in the past, they make their decisions within 2 weeks usually. But they may be delayed this time since this is the last acceptance cycle and they are still gauging how many students will matriculate. This month a lot of students are getting off waitlists and/or withdrawing acceptances. Hopefully we will know by tomorrow. Thank you for the reassuring words.

Okay, hopefully we will know tomorrow. According to the admission committee, those who were accepted would be told via phone within three weeks. Those rejected would get an e-mail and those who are wait-listed would get no response. Since acceptances have most likely gone out, I think the one who have not heard anything are wait-listed.

Okay, hopefully we will know tomorrow. According to the admission committee, those who were accepted would be told via phone within three weeks. Those rejected would get an e-mail and those who are wait-listed would get no response. Since acceptances have most likely gone out, I think the one who have not heard anything are wait-listed.
3 weeks doesn't mean exactly on the 21st day after the interview. It's just an estimate. Don't lose hope!

Withdrew my spot! Hope it goes to one of you guys, good luck!
Also for those worried about when they interviewed: I was invited to interview less than 24 hrs before the interview day (I must have been a last minute filler?), and accepted 2 weeks later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my spot! Hope it goes to one of you guys, good luck!
Also for those worried about when they interviewed: I was invited to interview less than 24 hrs before the interview day (I must have been a last minute filler?), and accepted 2 weeks later.
Congrats! May I ask when you interviewed?

Tried calling the admissions office today, no one picked up. Anyone else have better luck?

I called and left a message yesterday. They returned my call today afternoon!

I actually called to ask about a personal question so I just commented to relay that you might have to leave a message.

Try tomorrow!

Accepted! Got the phone call at 2:00 pm earlier today. I interviewed on 5/5.

Reactions: 6 users
5/5 interview and got an acceptance call yesterday around 2pm as well! So excited!

Good luck to all waiting.

Reactions: 4 users
For those of us who are still waiting (like me), they are still sending out acceptances through this week. So hold tight!

And if we don't get accepted, by Friday then we are waitlisted. And hopefully if CNU gets permission to increase their class size to 120, most of us will make it!

Last edited:
For those of us who are still waiting (like me), they are still sending out acceptances through this week. So hold tight!

And if we don't get accepted, by Friday then we are waitlisted. And hopefully if CNU gets permission to increase their class size to 120, most of us will make it!
How did you know this?? That's slightly exciting haha

Edit: god I hope they get permission for the class increase

First off, congratulations to those accepted !!

I was wondering if anyone has been accepted off of the waitlist yet

First off, congratulations to those accepted !!

I was wondering if anyone has been accepted off of the waitlist yet
I don't think there's been much waitlist movement yet.

Good luck to everyone today!

Reactions: 2 users
And Friday has come and gone. I think it's safe to say those who have not heard back are now waitlisted.

I don't think Cal Northstate has sent out any rejections yet, so the waitlist may be several hundred students long (90 spots for 360 interviewees)!

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

And Friday has come and gone. I think it's safe to say those who have not heard back are now waitlisted.

I don't think Cal Northstate has sent out any rejections yet, so the waitlist may be several hundred students long (90 spots for 360 interviewees)!

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.
Good luck to all of us still waiting and hopefully their class expansion gets approved!

Good luck to all of us still waiting and hopefully their class expansion gets approved!

Other people have posted about rejections on this forum so far. They told us at the interview that if you don't hear, then assume you're still in the running (or at this point on the waitlist) because they were re-reviewing everyone at each decision day. Hoping for good news still! Congrats to those accepted and good luck to everyone still waiting.

Other people have posted about rejections on this forum so far. They told us at the interview that if you don't hear, then assume you're still in the running (or at this point on the waitlist) because they were re-reviewing everyone at each decision day. Hoping for good news still! Congrats to those accepted and good luck to everyone still waiting.

I don't remember seeing any post-Interview rejections, I know some students didn't get interviews or didn't get secondaries.

Either way, good to those waiting!

Does anyone know what criteria (if any) the LCME will use to determine if the class size increases?

Does anyone know what criteria (if any) the LCME will use to determine if the class size increases?
No but I hope the criteria involves having enough eager premeds waiting for a chance to get off the waitlist and attend this school cuz we got that covered

M3 here. From what I've heard, the Class of 2021 is essentially full (90 students). In my opinion, CNU waitlisted A LOT more people this cycle compared to last year, and more than what I think they'll do next year. Unfortunately, the school has to plan accordingly for if they get approval to increase the class size to 120 students instead of 90 students. In my opinion, I don't think LCME will give approval to expand the class size this year, but we shall see. From the applicant's perspective, I totally understand how tough that is. As someone who's been through the medical school application process, I understand how frustrating it is to be waitlisted, not have an acceptance, and have to get ready to re-apply possibly. As cliche as it sounds, I do believe that those of you who don't get in this cycle will eventually get into an MD school if you work on any deficiencies in your application. I hope that those of you who are waitlisted here are accepted off the waitlist, but I do want you guys to plan accordingly as well.

For those of you who are accepted here, congratulations! There's a Facebook group for the CNUCOM Class of 2021 that you can join to look for roommates and housing, ask questions about the M1 year, or just meet the rest of your fellow classmates. When you ask to join the group, you will be asked to show the moderator a screenshot of your acceptance email to be allowed to join the group. Here's the link:

M3 here. From what I've heard, the Class of 2021 is essentially full (90 students). In my opinion, CNU waitlisted A LOT more people this cycle compared to last year, and more than what I think they'll do next year. Unfortunately, the school has to plan accordingly for if they get approval to increase the class size to 120 students instead of 90 students. In my opinion, I don't think LCME will give approval to expand the class size this year, but we shall see. From the applicant's perspective, I totally understand how tough that is. As someone who's been through the medical school application process, I understand how frustrating it is to be waitlisted, not have an acceptance, and have to get ready to re-apply possibly. As cliche as it sounds, I do believe that those of you who don't get in this cycle will eventually get into an MD school if you work on any deficiencies in your application. I hope that those of you who are waitlisted here are accepted off the waitlist, but I do want you guys to plan accordingly as well.

For those of you who are accepted here, congratulations! There's a Facebook group for the CNUCOM Class of 2021 that you can join to look for roommates and housing, ask questions about the M1 year, or just meet the rest of your fellow classmates. When you ask to join the group, you will be asked to show the moderator a screenshot of your acceptance email to be allowed to join the group. Here's the link:

Hey Keyser,

Thank you for the information. It seems like the school pulled one over the May 5th interviewees since very few were accepted from our group. I'll keep waiting to hear back from them since this is essentially my last shot at an MD school this cycle. I understand the class is full, but wait-list movement may occur whether or not the class expands. It's a shame the med school admissions are so competitive that schools get to treat applicants like myself this poorly.

Best of luck with your medical career at CNU.

Last edited:
I realize the school has preliminary accreditation. Does anyone know if the school is on track for the provisional accreditation?

I checked the accreditation process and it looks like a survey visit for provisional accreditation typically occurs midway through the second year of the charter class. Which means, LCME would've visited the school this January: http://lcme.org/about/accreditation-process-overview/

The LCME did visit our campus in January 2017. They then meet sometime in June to make a decision on accreditation and approved class size. Not sure how soon afterward that decision is made public.
I realize the school has preliminary accreditation. Does anyone know if the school is on track for the provisional accreditation?

I checked the accreditation process and it looks like a survey visit for provisional accreditation typically occurs midway through the second year of the charter class. Which means, LCME would've visited the school this January: http://lcme.org/about/accreditation-process-overview/[/QUOTE

Executive Summary: You can go ahead and sign your lease, but I'm expecting some bruises. lol
If I had a round of drinks riding on it, I think the smart money is remain at Step 3 with follow-up corrections before progression. My underlying assumption is that if we already had Step 3 in the clear, we can't be any worse off just for falling short of Step 4 if we've already substantially implemented the standards for it. The next 4 paragraphs is me agonizing and rationalizing that (possibly faulty) logic.

I know the school already has its list of improvement items. The final decision should be out by the end of June. Per LCME rules of procedure, the school is given one day advance notice and then the outcome is posted to the LCME website 24 hours later.

I've spent a lot of time speculating how we'll fair, but ultimately we'll be guessing until a decision is released sometime this month. Yes, per the chart, the site visit outcomes possible are: Step 4, Step 4 with follow-up citations, stay at Step 3 with follow-up citations (move to 4 when corrections documented), stay at Step 3 with a warning (confidential), stay at Step 3 on probation (public, requires a limited site visit to lift), and lastly: :bang:. The reason we're not optimistic about a class size increase is that we would need (I believe) to both get Step 4, and have enough goodwill left over to boost enrollment. Just seems premature to me.. too many things needed to line up that were still being solidified.

We definitely generated citations (every school gets them), but the cutoff between citations and probation seems to be a value judgement (most school's probation disclosures are pretty oblique so it's hard to tell where the cutoff actually is, but there are exceptions (e.g. McGill)). I've privately wondered if the mere fact that students point blank told the LCME site team that the student body would like to have federal loans as an option is sufficient to tip the scales for probation (once added to whatever run of the mill citations were generated). I say that because compared to a citation, probation has teeth: a 2 year (or else!) deadline. My impression from researching is that the 4 areas that are most likely to land a program on probation are a) Repeat violations on past citations b) Clinical site issues c) Student mistreatment d) Insufficient documentation of compliance. Financial options could fall under "c" IMO, so I've mentally braced myself for that possibility.

Another thing that makes it particularly difficult to call is that we (students) were pretty harsh in our ISA (independent student analysis) that was generated partway though 2019's M1 year and many of the things we documented no longer applied a full year later. And it seems that LCME frequently invokes that survey data in determining compliance/noncompliance. But on the other hand, in preparation for the site visit, it was emphasized to students that this should be viewed as an opportunity for us to improve and that we should be honest and helpful. When the survey team was here, we were very candid with them about which things had made satisfactory progress and which things still needed attention and I think they took us at our word. (And the site team in fact made a point of mentioning how much they appreciated that in their exit interview with Dean Silva). Buttttttttt, if they do substantially rely on our ISA, that action item list will be verrrrry long besides whatever things they identified on their visit. lol

Last edited:
Executive Summary: You can go ahead and sign your lease, but I'm expecting some bruises. lol
Another thing that makes it particularly difficult to call is that we (students) were pretty harsh in our ISA (independent student analysis) that was generated pathway though 2019's M1 year and many of the things we documented no longer applied a full year later. And it seems that LCME frequently invokes that survey data in determining compliance/noncompliance. But on the other hand, in preparation for the site visit, it was emphasized to students that this should be viewed as an opportunity for us to improve and that we should be honest and helpful. When the survey team was here, we were very candid with them about which things had made satisfactory progress and which things still needed attention and I think they took us at our word. (And the site team in fact made a point of mentioning how much they appreciated that in their exit interview with Dean Silva). Buttttttttt, if they do substantially rely on our ISA, that action item list will be verrrrry long besides whatever things they identified on their visit. lol

Thanks Gnome. The perspective the students shared is just from the student angle of course. I'm sure they touched base with the administration to gauge their concerns and how they are handling the issues brought forth. Besides, my guess would be that not all the issues are relevant when it comes to compliance and regulations. If you gather students in a room and ask them to unload, they will do exactly that - no matter the school/program.

I haven't seen any of my classmates post this yet, but we got an email from the Dean today -- based on feedback from the LCME, it looks like the Class of 2021 will have 90 students.

I haven't seen any of my classmates post this yet, but we got an email from the Dean today -- based on feedback from the LCME, it looks like the Class of 2021 will have 90 students.
Damn that sucks. But I really appreciate you telling us!

FYI, since the LCME website finally updated: we're going to be at Step 3 for ~1 more year (no probation though) and then they'll do a limited site visit. Students know very few details so far, but LCME wants an updated ISA (figured that'd come back to haunt us. lol) with the addition of feedback from M3's about rotations.

The admins are probably quite displeased about this, but overall I'm inclined to say this was a very fair outcome and one that I think will be favorable for students in the long term. I'm hoping they might be obligated to reconsider that item on our wish list that rhymes with smederal clones, but let's not jinx it.

Reactions: 3 users