2022-2023 California Northstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from current CNUCOM students and their experiences at the school? What are your takes on its accreditation status? I want to apply but hesitate bc of that.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my first A here! I was so excited but after reading about all the hesitation from the medical community here at SDN I do not know how to feel... Is there anyone that goes to/went to CNUCOM and has input about their experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the A! It's my first one after 3 gap years and 2 app cycles. Feeling so grateful and humbled. Received decision nearly exactly 2 months after interview.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Just received the A! It's my first one after 3 gap years and 2 app cycles. Feeling so grateful and humbled. Received decision nearly exactly 2 months after interview.
You might think differently if you knew the true state of affairs.

You might think differently if you knew the true state of affairs.
Just curious. Your post history is almost exclusively about this school. Do you have a vested interest or something? Why are you so obsessed with it? Personally I am just grateful for an opportunity to pursue an MD, with hopefully more options to come for comparison for best fit.

Just curious. Your post history is almost exclusively about this school. Do you have a vested interest or something? Why are you so obsessed with it? Personally I am just grateful for an opportunity to pursue an MD, with hopefully more options to come for comparison for best fit.
Good approach.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Good approach.
I was wondering the same exact thing! What is NSdoc’s relationship with this school and why all of the disparaging? And I agree with mdthestate - I am so grateful for the opportunity. From my research so far, the student body is bright with high stats and excellent match rates. The current students that have chimed in say that it is a collaborative environment. There are multiple task forces committed to taking the school to full accreditation. I will continue to do my due diligence, but in the meantime, this is a solid option for me to pursue my dream.

Last edited:
I just got my acceptance to Northstate - I agree with @mdTheState, there's a lot of hate around this school. How do we know @NSdoc isn't just a disgruntled student? All the students I've talked to from Northstate have told me the school is really working hard to fulfill LCME requirements and the learning environment is collaborative and conducive. Match rates are great, and previous years' Step scores are very impressive. I think it's time to start thinking about this school and its pros/cons for ourselves, and stop taking the advice of anonymous individuals who live to hate on this school. I think we should be proud of ourselves for getting into a California MD!

Reactions: 3 users
I just got my acceptance to Northstate - I agree with @mdTheState, there's a lot of hate around this school. How do we know @NSdoc isn't just a disgruntled student? All the students I've talked to from Northstate have told me the school is really working hard to fulfill LCME requirements and the learning environment is collaborative and conducive. Match rates are great, and previous years' Step scores are very impressive. I think it's time to start thinking about this school and its pros/cons for ourselves, and stop taking the advice of anonymous individuals who live to hate on this school. I think we should be proud of ourselves for getting into a California MD!
This is well said. Be proud and relieved but keep your heads on a swivel.

Aside from accreditation issues, I'm almost positive this school requires private loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aside from accreditation issues, I'm almost positive this school requires private loans.
it does! so tbh i would go to a DO over this school. I did a post bacc at this school and did not have a good time. This was before the probation issues..

Could you elaborate on that experience?
admin sucked, no communication regarding important things such as registration, when tuition is due, how much is tuition! Also the tuition was a lot and not worth it. They are a for profit school, so you have to take out provide loans like sallie mae, etc. The interest on those is so bad.

Also, I feel like the word that they are on probation has gotten out everywhere, so I wonder how that will change the match 2023 and moving forward. Like I feel like its bad rep if one goes to cnsu

This school is going to appeal to the high stats ORM reapplicants that plan on privately funding their tuition. Given that the med school acceptance rate to at least 1 school decreased to 35% last year, there will be no shortage of candidates that fall into this category and would take the A here over risking a 3rd unsuccessful application cycle. It‘s a bonus that it‘s in California, with fantastic weather and there's a new state-of-the art medical complex in tow. This will undoubtedly be a bright student body.

Last edited:
Just received the A on Nov 10! It's my first one this application cycle. Not sure to be happy or not....
Congratulations! when was the interview date and did you received it today?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it's possible to speak to current students about their experiences at this school? I was accepted, but I'm hearing so many mixed messages that it'd be nice to speak to someone from the school itself.

Does anyone know if it's possible to speak to current students about their experiences at this school? I was accepted, but I'm hearing so many mixed messages that it'd be nice to speak to someone from the school itself.
I feel the same, also accepted. So many negative things surrounding this school. But I have heard that the students themselves don't hate the program based on forums, but of course that's from second-hand sources. A Doctor I work with personally said one of his patients is a student there and loves it, plus the 2022 Match results didn't look awful. So, I really don't know how to feel at this point.

For those with II's, how soon after secondary submission did you hear back/receive II?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey y’all! Any last minute advice before my interview today?

I got a II from here today. Tho not sure if I should be excited based off their probationary status.

Just realized I didn't receive an application complete email...Does CNUCOM send those out?

Just realized I didn't receive an application complete email...Does CNUCOM send those out?
I received a complete email within a few days that said they received my supplemental application

Oh okay, thanks for letting me know! Well, I just realized I forgot to send my LOR's so no wonder i didn't get a complete email...smh.
I just sent my LOR anyway but idk if that would help or anything.
How do you check if LORs are sent?

Does anyone know if they said anything about when they’d get back to us?

I was able to speak with a student, and I wanted to share what I learned from this discussion, as well as my own research, to alleviate some of the concerns going around.

Accreditation: The school is committed to getting to full accreditation, and this student is confident that this will happen. Regardless, they do have a Teachout policy for the students' peace of mind. If they were to lose accreditation, they would continue to provide instruction and services for the current students through completion of program. See link for further details. https://cnsu.edu/PDFs/policies/TeachOutPolicyandProcedure.pdf

Preclinical curriculum: The curriculum and exams are boards-oriented. Their students perform very well on the boards.

Clinicals: While they have broken ground on the medical complex, it is unlikely that the project will be completed in the next few years. For now, the clinicals are outsourced to neighboring hospitals.

Social:
-Preclinicals are taught at the Elk Grove Village campus. Some students choose to live close to that campus during preclinical years, though some prefer the urban setting of Sacramento which is 20 minutes away.
-Since students are driving to various hospitals, more students end up moving to Sacramento during 3rd and 4th year.
-Within 2 hours they can get to beaches or skiing, and many of the students take advantage of these getaways.

If accepted, this student absolutely recommends attending CNU, rather than the option of declining/reapplying.

Congratulations to those accepted thus far, and best of luck to those awaiting decisions!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I was able to speak with a student, and I wanted to share what I learned from this discussion, as well as my own research, to alleviate some of the concerns going around.

Accreditation: The school is committed to getting to full accreditation, and this student is confident that this will happen. Regardless, they do have a Teachout policy for the students' peace of mind. If they were to lose accreditation, they would continue to provide instruction and services for the current students through completion of program. See link for further details. https://cnsu.edu/PDFs/policies/TeachOutPolicyandProcedure.pdf

Preclinical curriculum: The curriculum and exams are boards-oriented. Their students perform very well on the boards.

Clinicals: While they have broken ground on the medical complex, it is unlikely that the project will be completed in the next few years. For now, the clinicals are outsourced to neighboring hospitals.

Social:
-Preclinicals are taught at the Elk Grove Village campus. Some students choose to live close to that campus during preclinical years, though some prefer the urban setting of Sacramento which is 20 minutes away.
-Since students are driving to various hospitals, more students end up moving to Sacramento during 3rd and 4th year.
-Within 2 hours they can get to beaches or skiing, and many of the students take advantage of these getaways.

If accepted, this student absolutely recommends attending CNU, rather than the option of declining/reapplying.

Congratulations to those accepted thus far, and best of luck to those awaiting decisions!
Thank You for sharing! I have not heard many complaints from current med students and their success definitely helps alleviate a lot of concern. Wanted to do my own digging but was waiting to hear from another school I interviewed at before going full detective/internet sleuth.

Social:

Thank you. However, please ask the current student of how CNU students would be qualified to take their steps and obtain residency if CNU loses its accreditation from

You’re welcome and that’s a great question! I am looking into this and will respond once I get a reliable answer.

Nice Opthomology match today from this school. Congrats to the one individual that matched it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Nice Opthomology match today from this school. Congrats to the one individual that matched it.
Thanks for info on success ophthal match from CNU. Do you have insight on this question below
How CNU students would be qualified to take their steps and obtain residency if CNU loses its accreditation from LCME while as MS 2 and MS 4? LCME will revisit within 48 months!!!

Thanks for info on success ophthal match from CNU. Do you have insight on this question below
How CNU students would be qualified to take their steps and obtain residency if CNU loses its accreditation from LCME while as MS 2 and MS 4? LCME will revisit within 48 months!!!
I do not have any insight to this question.

I received this response from a student:
If CNU loses accreditation, there would be no impact on being able to sit for the boards and the ability to participate in the match.

I received this information from a third party:
Based upon our research of the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) decisions and actions, we want to reassure you that no U.S. medical school has lost accreditation to date. Probation is almost always the worst sanction levied, and almost any university will take every action to address the concerns that LCME has raised during the accreditation process. In California Northstate's situation, they have been placed on a two-year accreditation probation starting in March 2022. From our research, it appears the school administration is confident that the school will be able to use its two-year probationary status to address the concerns raised by the LCME. Moreover, school appears to be continuing the construction of their $1 Billion hospital at this time. While there is certainly a risk associated with California Northstate being placed on probation, all current signs appear to be pointing to their ability to address the concerns raised by LCME.

I received this response from a student:
If CNU loses accreditation, there would be no impact on being able to sit for the boards and the ability to participate in the match.

I received this information from a third party:
Based upon our research of the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) decisions and actions, we want to reassure you that no U.S. medical school has lost accreditation to date. Probation is almost always the worst sanction levied, and almost any university will take every action to address the concerns that LCME has raised during the accreditation process. In California Northstate's situation, they have been placed on a two-year accreditation probation starting in March 2022. From our research, it appears the school administration is confident that the school will be able to use its two-year probationary status to address the concerns raised by the LCME. Moreover, school appears to be continuing the construction of their $1 Billion hospital at this time. While there is certainly a risk associated with California Northstate being placed on probation, all current signs appear to be pointing to their ability to address the concerns raised by LCME.
Thank you for the update on this.

Acceptance 20 mins ago! First A of the cycle

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Social:

Do you know what sort of deficiencies that the LCME found which prompted the probational status? What sort of actions are they taking to improve these deficiencies? Thanks!