2016-2017 Drexel University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What kind of financial aid does Drexel give? As an accepted student I was just wondering and when do they send out the packages ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of financial aid does Drexel give? As an accepted student I was just wondering and when do they send out the packages ?

I think most were sent out mid-May IIRC. Drexel's financial aid packets aren't great. They're loans. Scholarships are few and far between.

anyone know when they're scheduling interviews for at this point? Would love to interview here and no word since I was complete in early September :(

The admissions office said they will be sending out invites until early February

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I took the MCAT late and didn't have the money to apply until last week. I appreciate your input. Becoming a doctor is my dream, so I'll do the best I can with what I can control and hope the rest will work out.

I unfortunately was in the same situation. I called Drexel and they told me to definitely still apply, because it didn't matter when I sent in my secondary as long as I got it in before the date. They said I would still be considered either way. I pointed out to them that here website suggests that you apply early, and she said that is true, but I would still be considered all the same.

So good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody go from hold to II at Drexel? Has this happened in previous years?

Just got an II!! LM=69

Reactions: 3 users
Withdrew. Hope someone gets the interview

Reactions: 8 users
Current Drexel students can help me out here: Do I need a car during MSI and MSII? I heard that Drexel makes students do some clinical work at different sites. Are these not accessible (relatively effortlessly) via public transportation? I can't really afford a car right now, and I wouldn't mind bad public transportation if it only happens a couple of times per semester. What are your honest thoughts? I'll probably be living very close to the QL campus also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone recently heard from Drexel regarding a decision? Interviewed in October, still waiting to hear back :/

Current Drexel students can help me out here: Do I need a car during MSI and MSII? I heard that Drexel makes students do some clinical work at different sites. Are these not accessible (relatively effortlessly) via public transportation? I can't really afford a car right now, and I wouldn't mind bad public transportation if it only happens a couple of times per semester. What are your honest thoughts? I'll probably be living very close to the QL campus also.

If you're at Hahnemann for any clinically related stuff first or second year, the shuttle (which is free) literally drops you off at the front door of the hospital. You just hop on at QL and it takes you to Center City.

There are things where it would be so much more convenient if you have a car, but many, many of your classmates won't have one either and carpooling becomes your best friend! (Abington Hospital, CEE sites (community service project), the local nursing homes for your geriatric experiences..). But even so, SEPTA can basically get you anywhere you want to go.

Got accepted this morning. I interviewed the last week of September lol

sorry in advance for the silly question, but should update letters be uploaded to the portal as a pdf?

Just got an II. Completed 10/3, sent an update in December.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got that II!!! My first one!!! Complete early September, LizzyM ~68

Reactions: 19 users
II today as well! Complete way back in July and submitted an update a few days ago. LizzyM 69

I still haven't heard anything. I interviewed October 24. I don't think it's a good sign...but I have submitted updates and I call once a week. This is insanity.

I still haven't heard anything. I interviewed October 24. I don't think it's a good sign...but I have submitted updates and I call once a week. This is insanity.
What do you say when you call? I would like to call to check in, but I feel like they will just tell me to be patient and wait.

Also in the same boat, but someone on this thread got accepted this week and interviewed in September. I think they just have a different way of going about it since they receive so many applications.

Last edited:
Greetings to the community.
I interviewed 11/10.
Just waiting anxious and jumpy.
I'm just wondering what kind of changes happen in the secondary portal as events may happen.
Is there a change in the status when an application is under review?
And is the portal updated immediately if there is an acceptance/rejection decision?
Also from what I gather here on this forum, the latest interviewed person to be accepted interviewed 10/11. I think that means i have quite a bit more waiting to do (already been 2 mo.).

For any current students, do you have the school's health insurance coverage, and/or is it fairly good coverage from what you've experienced or heard? I haven't been successful at finding any information about it on the website!

Got an email saying my application will be looked at again in the spring. Is this a message a lot of applicants receive or are they seriously considering offering me an interview at a later date? (not looking for opinions, simply asking if anyone has any information about what this generally means at Drexel)

Got an email saying my application will be looked at again in the spring. Is this a message a lot of applicants receive or are they seriously considering offering me an interview at a later date? (not looking for opinions, simply asking if anyone has any information about what this generally means at Drexel)
That is the "spring hold". So essentially, they reviewed you and chose to not offer you an interview at this time. They are going to move on to other applications. Once they are done reviewing everyone else and chosen who to interview, if there are any interview spots remaining, they will come back to the spring hold list and hand out any remaining interview spots to them.

Did you just get that today?

That is the "spring hold". So essentially, they reviewed you and chose to not offer you an interview at this time. They are going to move on to other applications. Once they are done reviewing everyone else and chosen who to interview, if there are any interview spots remaining, they will come back to the spring hold list and hand out any remaining interview spots to them.

Did you just get that today?
Yes just a little while ago. Thanks so much for your clear, informed response!

Yes just a little while ago. Thanks so much for your clear, informed response!
No problem! I was completely mid-july and still haven't heard anything, so thank you for posting that you got some form of communication from them. I would say it's not a good sign, but it's also not a bad sign because they didn't choose to reject you outright. I believe every year, some people do get interviews off of spring hold, but of course typically near the end of the cycle.

I was also complete mid-July. Hopefully you hear something soon!

Is there a way to submit more than one update through the portal?

guys.. just got an II! can you please tell me your experiences at your interview? I have read a lot of people here not like the interview, was it the school or how the interview was set up? Tell me your thoughts.

guys.. just got an II! can you please tell me your experiences at your interview? I have read a lot of people here not like the interview, was it the school or how the interview was set up? Tell me your thoughts.
I didn't have a problem with the interview day. I found it informative. You get to shadow a class, have lunch with the students, take a tour, info sessions, etc. Basically a typical interview day and everyone I talked to was super nice. There is an ethics essay, but its basically nothing you can prepare for beforehand.

I also had a great interview day here. Some interviewers did run really late, but mine was on time and the interviewer was great. Pro tip: there is no reception out there so turn your phone off or in airplane mode to save battery. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to call an uber because my phone was almost dead.

Hi everyone!

I received an II on 1/6 and interviewed yesterday, 1/13. Interview day was a great experience overall, and one that was very laid back at that. The interview itself was conversational; I actually had a lot of fun during mine. They're not there to stress you out or drill you. Remember that they invited you to interview for a reason: to get to know you as a person, beyond your stats. Know your application beforehand and you'll do great.

BTW -- my app was considered complete mid-July, so for all of those applicants still waiting to hear back, don't lose hope! Trust the process. Best of luck!