2016-2017 Drexel University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was complete back on 8/9!

Jan 31, then a bunch in February

Alright thanks. I was completed in 8-15, but still nthn :(

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!!! my first one im so excited. Interviewed 10/31 Im going to be a doctor!

Reactions: 16 users
ACCEPTED!!! my first one im so excited. Interviewed 10/31 Im going to be a doctor!

Congratulations! It's such a wonderful feeling! I couldn't believe it when I got my first acceptance!

Also, decided to withdraw my interview invitation. Good luck to those still waiting! I'm wishing the best for you guys!

Reactions: 1 users
My interview here went as terribly as I thought. My interviewer wasn't laid back nor kind and purposely debated with me to give me a "stress" interview which I thought I coped with decently but got a snail mail rejection today.

OOS. LM 65.5. 11/5 interview. Good luck everyone!

Did anyone who was put on hold for an interview hear back yet? Just sitting here twiddling my thumbs.

Every time I see people getting IIs, it gets my hopes up that maybe I haven't been silent rejected! Good luck everyone :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So, how exactly will this new curriculum work? I've spoken with current MS, and some residents who have also said that this curriculum should be good for the students. Does anyone remember the details of it? Current students care to comment about how it will be compared to the current curriculum? Thanks all, and for those of you waiting-hang in there!

It's going to be quite a bit different than what the current two curriculums are. There will be no formal lecture (and if you sat in on any lectures in the Auds, you know why). All the class materials will be online and with virtual lectures given by course instructors. Material-wise, I've been told it's much the same in depth, you're just learning it in a bit different way. You'll have more team-based everything than we currently have too. (I'm in IFM. PIL spends 9 hours a week in their small groups)

But we only know so much about the new curriculum, as we're not actually using it. However, they've been testing a lot of their new ideas for it on us, especially the virtual lecture piece. If you're a disciplined person who had zero intentions of going to class anyway, it's perfect for you. I go to every lecture, I'd struggle lol. If I miss lecture, I tend to take forever to catch up.

Reactions: 1 user
Just interviewed here last week. Very relaxed environment. Student interviewer was awesome... he showed our group his cadaver and let us hold a few of "Betsy's" organs! Faculty interview was very conversational. He was talking to me as if I were already a colleague, which I appreciated. After that we had a generic ethics essay to write. Day went by very quickly, but myself and other interviewers noticed the whole experience strangely impersonal. All of the introductions to Drexel were pre-recorded videos. After they finished, we had ~45 mins to just kind of sit around as there weren't many questions. The curriculum includes no more live lectures and we got to watch a pre-recorded lecture in the auditorium, which what relatively uninspiring. I prefer to have a physical person speaking to me rather than just a recorded voice narrating what is already explained on the slides.

Reactions: 1 users
Just interviewed here last week. Very relaxed environment. Student interviewer was awesome... he showed our group his cadaver and let us hold a few of "Betsy's" organs! Faculty interview was very conversational. He was talking to me as if I were already a colleague, which I appreciated. After that we had a generic ethics essay to write. Day went by very quickly, but myself and other interviewers noticed the whole experience strangely impersonal. All of the introductions to Drexel were pre-recorded videos. After they finished, we had ~45 mins to just kind of sit around as there weren't many questions. The curriculum includes no more live lectures and we got to watch a pre-recorded lecture in the auditorium, which what relatively uninspiring. I prefer to have a physical person speaking to me rather than just a recorded voice narrating what is already explained on the slides.

I can't stand this. We've had it happen a few times this year, always because the instructor had a last minute issue and couldn't attend. So, they use the lectures that were recorded the year prior. Given that, the new curriculum will not be like this.

What did you think about being taken into the anatomy room and shown cadavers/touching them? Similar thing happened on my tour and it was a bit of a turn-off relative to how other schools talked about deference/respect for donated bodies being used only for education.

It's going to be quite a bit different than what the current two curriculums are. There will be no formal lecture (and if you sat in on any lectures in the Auds, you know why). All the class materials will be online and with virtual lectures given by course instructors. Material-wise, I've been told it's much the same in depth, you're just learning it in a bit different way. You'll have more team-based everything than we currently have too. (I'm in IFM. PIL spends 9 hours a week in their small groups)

But we only know so much about the new curriculum, as we're not actually using it. However, they've been testing a lot of their new ideas for it on us, especially the virtual lecture piece. If you're a disciplined person who had zero intentions of going to class anyway, it's perfect for you. I go to every lecture, I'd struggle lol. If I miss lecture, I tend to take forever to catch up.

Thanks ciestar for your enthusiastic help. How much ( % ) of your current instruction is recorded video Vs. live In-Person classes ? Looks like most medical schools are following the trend ?

Thanks ciestar for your enthusiastic help. How much ( % ) of your current instruction is recorded video Vs. live In-Person classes ? Looks like most medical schools are following the trend ?

A majority of what we do now is live in-person lecture. I couldn't give you a percentage, but >75%? (Probably more)

Yes, most schools are following this trend. I've been told that the LCME has stated they want schools to incorporate less lecture. So, Drexel is doing that. I couldn't answer why, but that could be why schools are trending this way.

Is there an accepted students facebook page? I'm sure this has been asked but couldn't find it in the thread, thanks!!

What did you think about being taken into the anatomy room and shown cadavers/touching them? Similar thing happened on my tour and it was a bit of a turn-off relative to how other schools talked about deference/respect for donated bodies being used only for education.
My student interviewer said that they celebrate with the families of the cadavers donated a year previous. However, I didn't find anything offensive about him allowing us to hold their organs. He was very respectful, as were we, with the body. However, from other schools I have interviewed at, they seem to do a little bit more for the families who donate (ie plant a tree on campus for each family). This is something I found very special and touching, an 'above and beyond' type of thing. I don't think Drexel should be penalized for not following suit, but I really like the idea of going above and beyond for families who donate their loved ones to medical education.

What are people's thoughts on having no in-person lectures? The current students couldn't really comment on how the curriculum will be for next year or about the whole no lecture thing... so just wondering what other people's thoughts are on the subject! :)

I am personally excited for the new curriculum because I tend to learn very little in formal lectures. Especially early morning ones ;) and I would have to re-listen to the recorded lecture anyway. I'd rather watch lectures at my preferred speed with ability to rewind. I think the new curriculum still includes a lot of time on campus with faculty and other students.

As its been over 2 months at this point, desperately hoping to hear back this week. Anyone else, so I can feel less alone in my misery?

Are a lot of interviews normally given out after this point?
Trying to figure out if my SO should bother applying in Philly for grad school next year :confused: no interview here for me yet, complete in September

Any current Drexel students I can message to ask about the school? :) Or anyone who already went through the interview? Thanks so much~
Interview for 2/6/17, oos, invite in dec 2016

Interviewed on 11/17 and waitlisted last week. Does anyone know if they are receptive to letters of intent?

Any current Drexel students I can message to ask about the school? :) Or anyone who already went through the interview? Thanks so much~
Interview for 2/6/17, oos, invite in dec 2016

I'm an MS1, feel free to

First post on here but just excepted WOO! Interviewed 12/16

First post on here but just excepted WOO! Interviewed 12/16
Congrats! Although I am low key bitter that you have heard back and I haven't (interviewed 11/22). Oh med school process, you never cease to frustrate me :rolleyes:. But seriously congrats!

Congrats! Although I am low key bitter that you have heard back and I haven't (interviewed 11/22). Oh med school process, you never cease to frustrate me :rolleyes:. But seriously congrats!
The Drexel post-interview process is so random. My friend interviewed 10/10 and still hasn't heard!

Waitlisted just now... bummer. Interviewed early mid November. Any one know what the waitlist movement is like here?

Waitlisted just now... bummer. Interviewed early mid November. Any one know what the waitlist movement is like here?

Unconfirmed but I don't expect a lot of movement this year. I think people who have been waiting over 12 weeks since interview are on "hold" aka "unofficial high-priority waitlist". So the school has to go through these students first before reaching students on the actual waitlist.

I could be wrong though. Not sure how many people are on "hold".

If you have MSAR, they do give some data on WL movement and everything.

Just got accepted here. Interviewed around 16 of Nov m

Reactions: 4 users
Waitlisted, interviewed mid/late November, LizzyM 74. Pretty disappointed, I really thought my interview went well

Rejected a couple days ago pre-II. Complete Aug LM 65

Hey guys. I was invited for an interview about 1 month and a half ago and it's scheduled for next week. I'm about to cancel my interview as I've been fortunate enough to be accepted to several other schools that I'm more interested in. Hopefully the vacant spot goes to one of my fellow SDNers, if anybody at all. Good luck on the rest of the cycle guys. Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
just got rejected pre-II. really wanted this one. has been an unfortunate application cycle. good luck everyone!

II!! LM70/69 OOS Complete end of Sept

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Accepted!!!!!!!! My first one, I'm so beyond thrilled. Email came in at 4:30, it took me an hour to work up the courage to read it lol.

Reactions: 12 users
II today just as I was running out of hope! complete in July

Reactions: 10 users