[2016-2017] Emergency Medicine Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where my fellow couple matchers at?!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Matched this year and was able to overcome the hurdle of not matching last year!

Reactions: 32 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, anyone have a clue on how many spots remained unfilled this cycle? It might be too early for the NRMP to release this info...

Out of curiosity, anyone have a clue on how many spots remained unfilled this cycle? It might be too early for the NRMP to release this info...
It's under "my reports." Says 6 unfilled this year.

Matched, very thankful to have a spot. It felt crazy competitive this year.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to everyone!

Thank you gamerEMdoc. I hope you filled all your spots. You've been an invaluable resource to all of us the whole year. And I know that I speak on behalf of all of us when I say that we wish nothing but the best for you.

Edit-also matched. Congrats everyone

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Congrats everyone! I hope to be with some of you next year!

Reactions: 5 users
Matched. Stressful process, good luck to everyone going through SOAP.

Reactions: 5 users
Matched. What an exhausting 9 months. Sometimes it really felt like it wasn't going to happen. Thanks to everyone in this and the other 2016-2017 threads for all the help this season.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
Matched!! Weeeeee
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to provide so much help and advice this season! Cheers!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you gamerEMdoc. I hope you filled all your spots. You've been an invaluable resource to all of us the whole year. And I know that I speak on behalf of all of us when I say that we wish nothing but the best for you.

Edit-also matched. Congrats everyone

Thank you. That was very kind to say. I honestly mean this when I say, if anyone's match status improved even a little by anything I said this year, then it was well worth it. I look forward to hearing from people who give me follow up and hopefully tell me where they match.

We did fill 8 of our spots. Thank goodness!

Reactions: 8 users
No luck for me. Even after a prelim internal year

Matched!
Best of luck to those in the SOAP. Hopefully one of those 6 unfilled spots has your name on it.

Did anyone match EM with average USMLE, COMLEX, + absolutely no research?

Did anyone match EM with average USMLE, COMLEX, + absolutely no research?

205 step 1, 530 level 1. No research. I had a case write up that got accepted for publication, but that wasn't until my application was submitted. Didn't find that out until a month ago.

Reactions: 4 users
I know those who matched can only see the report that says there are 6 unfilled EM spots.

We, the unlucky/unwashed/unmatched, can see all open spots -- there are ZERO EM. Zero IM/EM. Zero FM/EM. One Peds/EM. How to explain the discrepancy?

I know those who matched can only see the report that says there are 6 unfilled EM spots.

We, the unlucky/unwashed/unmatched, can see all open spots -- there are ZERO EM. Zero IM/EM. Zero FM/EM. One Peds/EM. How to explain the discrepancy?

I believe programs can choose whether or not to participate in the SOAP or not. These unfilled positions may not be available to the typical applicant. I know in previous years the "unfilled positions" have been in spots that were funded for foreign graduates to my understanding. Not saying that's the case with those 6 spots, but it's possible there are some extra factors at play here.

Reactions: 1 user
The list is incorrect. That is what my school told me. There were 0 spots in EM that went unfilled this year. They made a mistake on the initial chart that they sent out and then sent out a revised list that was emailed to my by my school

Please give this up. You said this to my rank list after I spent close to two hours trying to articulate the pros and cons of the top programs I was ranking. Sorry if I ran out of steam toward the end. But now to bring up these examples as a way to support your (in my opinion, ridiculous) war on rank lists orders--just stop.
Didn't know it was your rank "list". It was just a jumble of programs.

Apollyon - we all see it this way. It is silly to just post the places you interview without any other discernible information.

None of us see why you feel such a strong calling to b*tch about it this much.

Also, I don't see how you can possibly connect the folks who interviewed at 18 places posting their ROL's "in no particular order" and any of your points.

You know why I like "Firehouse" magazine? Because it's **** burning and opinions. Opinions are like dinguses - everyone's got one, and most of them stink. But, even if you think I'm an dingus, I'm happy I elicited visceral, emotional responses. Statistically, most of you are good people. Likewise, a few will be dinguses, but that's just who they are - neither good nor bad.

As for "lurking", I think I've averaged about 3-4 posts per day for the past 14 years - and I'm not even in the top 20 or 30 on SDN. I don't think that word means what you think it means.

As for ERorPBR, I prefer Labatt Blue.

It all comes out in the wash. Wherever you are is where you're supposed to be!

You know why I like "Firehouse" magazine? Because it's **** burning and opinions. Opinions are like dinguses - everyone's got one, and most of them stink. But, even if you think I'm an dingus, I'm happy I elicited visceral, emotional responses. Statistically, most of you are good people. Likewise, a few will be dinguses, but that's just who they are - neither good nor bad.

As for "lurking", I think I've averaged about 3-4 posts per day for the past 14 years - and I'm not even in the top 20 or 30 on SDN. I don't think that word means what you think it means.

As for ERorPBR, I prefer Labatt Blue.

It all comes out in the wash. Wherever you are is where you're supposed to be!

052abc6a748d1cb29d9fa4ce57707eedf3bab0-v5-wm.jpg

The google form is still open for anyone that was too nervous to post their lists until they matched.

pls.

Reactions: 7 users
Had to cancel away due to family needs. Didn't match. Try again or move on?

No one can answer that question for you. It is for you to decide whether you want to try and pursue a future career in EM or choose a different specialty. People have matched into EM with lower step scores than yours. You had one EM rotation, doing more next year may certainly help your chances. But as with anything in life, there are no promises.

Alright everybody. After yet another pile on, let's keep it professional here. Off topic and inflammatory posts have been and will be deleted.

Sorry to hear that man. Like said above, that question can only be answered by you. Are you willing to give up another year of your life to wait and see if you can get into EM for the next cycle? Personally if I didn't match, I would probably do a prelim year or something and reapply - I just can't imagine doing anything else except emergency medicine. Everyone has different circumstances where waiting may or may not be possible. Sorry for the ambiguous advice but I really think it's a judgement call based on your gut feeling and your specific situation

This is why I haven't posted my rank list on here. Don't want to spend a significant amount of time on a pro/con list, get lazy at the end and get ousted for it. If everyone's on their best behavior, I might reconsider :laugh:

This is why I haven't posted my rank list on here. Don't want to spend a significant amount of time on a pro/con list, get lazy at the end and get ousted for it.
Nobody cares if you just list the programs at the bottom of your ROL as long as they're actually in your preferred order.

Submitted anonymously, via Google Form.

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: >235, Step 2: >235
EM rotations: HP/P (Pass/Fail only)
Medical school region: Southish
Anything else that made you more competitive:
Was told Strong SLOES, EM Leadership, Good ECs, Pre-Med school life was "interesting" and a talking point in my interviews. Non-EM research with pubs - Pretty avg student otherwise

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL:
Fit, Fit, Fit, location, 3>4 years, SO preference, proximity to outdoor activities.

1) Wake Forest -
Pros: Very well established program. Really enjoyed my interview day here and the pre interview dinner was great- Big resident turnout and they all seemed very happy. Very family oriented. Got along well with the PD and all my interviewers were great. Liked the 8 hour shifts, and seems like they do a lot of EMS and Wilderness Medicine stuff which is cool. ED is a little older with plans to have a new one built, but I liked the current set up just fine. I liked Winston-Salem and seemed like a good place for couples/families to be. I can understand why some people don't like it as it is not the most happening town, but has everything we need. Really love the ED heavy curriculum. Close to outdoors and short drives to the mountains and beaches.

Cons: Work a good bit of shifts, but they are only 8 hours. As mentioned, WS can be quiet, but that's alright by me.

2) University of Arkansas -
Pros: Awesome interview day and really loved the PD and other faculty I interviewed with here. Dinner the night before was at a residents house and all the residents were super friendly and people I could see myself getting along with really well. Shared similar interests. Strong U/S experience which is great. I love Little Rock, and it is really close to a lot of great outdoor activities. Love how their schedule is set up, especially with 12s on the weekend to give you an extra weekend off. Only Level 1 in the state so I assume they get to see a ton with that large catchment area.

Cons: Still seems like they are tinkering with the curriculum a little bit, and they will have a few new faculty members in the upcoming year, which all those things can be good or bad. Month of Night OB.

3) Greenville Health Systems- South Carolina -
Pros: As people have mentioned already, was blown away by this place from the dinner the night before until I stepped foot off campus. Dinner was only with faculty as this is a brand new program, but they were all nice and approachable and were very excited to talk about the program/answer any questions. The entire interview day was very well run, and the curriculum is well thought out. You can tell they have been preparing for a while to start this program, and it really shows. SIM center is ridiculously nice. Greenville is an awesome city with a cool downtown area with a river flowing through it. The hospital was the nicest I've ever seen (besides the new charity in NOLA), and the benefits are great. Really wish they had just a couple of classes or even just one and it would probably be in the running for #1. I have no doubt it will be a very competitive program in just a few years.

Cons: Brand new program so there are a lot of questions still up in the air, although they've done their best to answer most of them. Will have to be on the forefront of fighting some turf battles.

4) JPS -
Pros: Solid program, and even though its relatively new, it's becoming more and more competitive. Incredibly nice residents at the dinner and met even more during the interview day. Really seemed to get along with each other and genuinely love their program. PD is awesome and she seems to have a great vision/plan for the future of the program. Fort Worth seems like a cool place to live. All the benefits of a big city and having Dallas right next door, but not having to deal with Dallas traffic. Nice Hospital with amazing benefits. See tons of patients and procedures galore. Also like how they keep track of your metrics to make it a little competitive with your co-residents and shows areas in need of improvement. Great moonlighting opportunities as well

Cons: Not so sure about living in Texas, just didn't feel as good as my top 3, but overall a great program and would be thrilled to come here to train.

5) UT Memphis -
Pros: Newer program (would be 3rd class to enter). Probably got the most procedures out of anywhere I interviewed. Pretty sure one second year said he got all his procedures necessary for graduation by the end of his intern year. Really liked their ED set up. Great Disaster Medicine opportunities which could be cool. Only met a few residents, but they were all nice and spoke very highly of their training thus far and seemed happy. I like the city of Memphis- plenty to do around the city.

Cons: Rotate at 4 different hospitals with several different EMRs, Not sure I would like to have my trauma months at a separate location (although it is at the Med which is one of the busiest trauma centers in the nation). Haven't had a class graduate yet, so not sure about job prospects although I doubt they would have an issue. Smaller program. Interview day was good, but it seems like they still have a few things that need ironing out. With the Memphis population and crime, this program will be awesome in a few years once they have all their ducks in a row.

6) Carilion Clinic Virginia Tech -
Pros: Probably my favorite location on the trail- Roanoke is awesome. I can see why some people don't like the PD, but I liked what he was saying and bought in to his training philosophies. Feel like I would leave here very well trained and ready for anything. All my faculty interviews were great and hit it off with pretty much all of them. They had done some research on my app and ask me very specific questions were you could tell they had taken time to research additional information about something I did/said/where I was from etc.. made me feel like they really cared about the process and I appreciated their effort. Residents were all really nice and outdoorsy. They do a thing similar to JPS and keep track of all your metrics and it seemed like it has helped their grads get jobs. Liked their curriculum and they see a crazy volume and get tons of procedures.

Cons: SO job opportunities here are limited. Roanoke is a little secluded which is both a pro and con. Didn't jive with a couple of the residents but really hit it off with others so who knows.

7) U of Mississippi -
Pros: Big surprise for me on the trail. Somewhat of a diamond in the rough type program IMO. Residents were great at the dinner the night before. They see a ton of patients and it's the only level 1 in the state, so they see it all. Per a couple of residents, Jackson is a rougher town that definitely has the "knife and gun club" as well as the medically sick patients from all over. They get tons of procedures and can/do moonlight a ton for extra money. Very ED heavy curriculum which is nice. Newer department that is very nice, and they showed us this medcom place that coordinates the state's EMS and whatnot and it looks like something out of a movie. Faculty interactions were good and they seemed to care about their residents.

Cons: as others have mentioned, not sure I could live in Jackson. 12 hour shifts is big con. SO job opportunities limited and she didn't really care for Jackson. Interview day car ride around Jackson and surrounding areas was really long. Most faculty were from MS or did their training there.

8) VCU -
Pros: Best PD on the trail. We got this booklet that had everything we could ever ask about and a ton of additional information about the program and FAQs- so it was nice to have after the interview. He individually went around and sincerely thanked all of the residents that came to hang with us during our lunch. (I think the interview day was right by a holiday/weekend). Thats the kind of PD you want on your side. Residents were all awesome at the dinner the night before. Their ED setup is pretty cool with their huge trauma room. All my faculty interviews and chief interview were awesome. Really sad it dropped so far down my list after SO somewhat nixed it due to location. I almost envy people who match here- solid program with great faculty/residents. You can tell they also value diversity in their program, so that is a plus, too.

Cons: Wish they had more ED months, SO didn't care much for Richmond.

9) Med College of Georgia -
Pros: Enjoyed my interview day here.. just didn't quite click with all of the faculty and residents. Everyone was nice and I loved the program, but seemed like a place I would just go to work my shift and go home- not a whole lot of meshing with residents. I like their curriculum, and you get to work at the Master's and they do a ton of wilderness medicine which is neat. Their ED is really nice. The PD that gave the morning speech was super passionate about the program and his residents- seemed like a great guy to work with.

Cons: wasn't a huge fan of Augusta, Very sharp differences in personalities of residents that were civilian vs. army so that was interesting. Most residents said they go out of town to do stuff.

10) LSU New Orleans -
Pros: Really fun program. They all embody the very laid back New Orleans attitude from the interns all the way up to the PD and Chair. Pre-interview dinner was crawfish at a local brewery- so that was awesome. Had a great turnout and all the residents were friendly and would be great to work with. PD interview was awesome.. funniest and most laid back PD on the trail. 4 year program, so their ED schedule was light, and their off service months were good. You get to do a community rotation in south Louisiana at a bare bones hospital, so that would be very beneficial. Plenty of elective time in the curriculum. New Orleans is...... New Orleans. I'm sure I'd adapt to living there just fine, but its still a very busy city with lots of traffic and is somewhat dangerous even in places that are "safe." Great food and always something going on!

Cons: not sure the 4th year would be worth it there. They sold it well and every interviewer asked if I had concerns about the 4th year- but I just didn't see the value personally.

11) West Virginia -
Pros: Probably the friendliest residents and faculty I met on the trail. Seemed like they would be great people to work with. PD is nice and has been there for a long time and everyone loves her. Interview day was well run, and the residents were everywhere and very involved with the interview day which was awesome. Solid group of folks.

Cons: Morgantown didn't have the best job opportunities for SO. Kinda far from family, lower volume despite large catchment area. Most residents were either from WV or had some tie to WV, same with faculty

12) UT Chattanooga -
Pros: awesome location, good curriculum, do a lot of stuff with disaster response and wilderness med. Only met a few of the residents, but they were really nice. Grads get good jobs wherever they want to go. ED was really busy on interview day

Cons: only a couple of residents at dinner and one had just gotten off an ICU shift and looked tired and miserable, weird interview with chair of the dept- seemed like he would've rather been anywhere else in the world than interviewing me. Another interviewer was almost abrasive. And some of the residents openly spoke poorly of other specialties in the hospital which was kind of awkward. Maybe I caught them all on an off day or something (or they hated me)...who knows.

13) U of Louisville -
Pros: Very established program. Residents get tons of procedures and seemed very busy. Get a good bit of autonomy as everyone has mentioned. Know I would leave here being able to handle everything that came my way. PD was great and really liked how she took an individualized approach to training the residents- really enjoyed my interview with her

Cons: Just didn't gel here at all. Didn't really have much in common with the residents at the dinner. I like the autonomy the program seems to give its residents, but its almost too much. One resident at the dinner said she "didn't know where the attending was for over an hour so she was basically running the show." I see how some people love this idea, but it just wasn't for me. She may have been embellishing some.. but its just not my learning style. Couple of awkward interviews with faculty (one who asked very forward and personal questions). SO didn't much care for the city and neither did I. I no doubt would be a solid physician leaving this program, but it just didn't fit for me personally.

Other:
Declined interviews - UT Houston, Texas A and M Scott & White, Eastern Virginia, UT Murfreesboro, U of Oklahoma, LSU Baton Rouge, ECU Vidant

Waitlisted - Indiana, Boston Medical Center, U of Washington, Baylor

Rejected Silent/Hard - Emory, UTSW, Utah, Palmetto, UNC, Duke, Carolinas, Cinci, UVA, UK

Applied around 35, Received 20

Overall would be very happy to match pretty much anywhere. From my experience, Im glad to see it's true that there aren't really any bad places to train for EM. Congrats on the great accomplishment of matching, and best of luck to everyone on Friday!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Matched!

Friday can't come soon enough.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations everyone who matched, welcome to the EM family!

To those who had suboptimal results; the sun will continue to shine, you'll find a path, and there are plenty of people to lean on along the way.

Eerily quiet up here, the calm before the fcking storm....

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW EVERYONE!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
So programs learn who they matched today, right? I'm sure this is a stupid question, but why do they learn before the applicants do?

Last edited: