2016-2017 University of Texas at Austin (Dell) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please give examples that indicate your ability to function effectively, as a productive member of a team working towards a common objective. Discuss your role and contribution to those teams. (4000 characters)

Please give examples that indicate your active engagement in your community. (4000 characters)

Please give examples that indicate your ability to creatively solve problems for the betterment of others. (4000 characters)

Please give examples that indicate your ability to overcome adverse situations. (4000 characters)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
does anyone know if Dell has started sending out secondaries/has anyone received any sort of correspondence from Dell after submitting their primary?

does anyone know if Dell has started sending out secondaries/has anyone received any sort of correspondence from Dell after submitting their primary?
I received an email May 21 that said:

"Thank you for your interest in Dell Medical School. We have received your application and if all required documents have been received by TMDSAS, we will soon begin the initial review. Please note that the only way to update your application is through TMDSAS and that no material received through an alternate channel will be added to your application file.

As you may be aware, the secondary application is available upon invitation. Applications will be continually reviewed by the admissions staff in the context of the current application pool during the admissions cycle. Applicants will be selected to receive a secondary application based on this repeated and ongoing review which may not coincide with receipt of the application. Our goal is to be sure that all applicants receive a thorough evaluation based on their accomplishments and on how well they fit our mission.

Candidates invited to submit a secondary application will receive an email with instruction. There is no fee for completing the Secondary Application which consists of 4 short essay questions that address specific attributes related to the Dell Medical School mission. The priority deadline for submission of the Secondary Application is November 15, candidates will be considered for interview only after the secondary is complete.

Again thank you for submitting your application, we appreciate your interest in Dell Medical School and the effort we are engaged in to re-think how people get and stay healthy"

I have not received a secondary invite, but not all of my LoE have been submitted, so I suspect that is why.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email May 21 that said:

"Thank you for your interest in Dell Medical School. We have received your application and if all required documents have been received by TMDSAS, we will soon begin the initial review. Please note that the only way to update your application is through TMDSAS and that no material received through an alternate channel will be added to your application file.

As you may be aware, the secondary application is available upon invitation. Applications will be continually reviewed by the admissions staff in the context of the current application pool during the admissions cycle. Applicants will be selected to receive a secondary application based on this repeated and ongoing review which may not coincide with receipt of the application. Our goal is to be sure that all applicants receive a thorough evaluation based on their accomplishments and on how well they fit our mission.

Candidates invited to submit a secondary application will receive an email with instruction. There is no fee for completing the Secondary Application which consists of 4 short essay questions that address specific attributes related to the Dell Medical School mission. The priority deadline for submission of the Secondary Application is November 15, candidates will be considered for interview only after the secondary is complete.

Again thank you for submitting your application, we appreciate your interest in Dell Medical School and the effort we are engaged in to re-think how people get and stay healthy"

I have not received a secondary invite, but not all of my LoE have been submitted, so I suspect that is why.

I have gotten this email too, and one of my transcripts is pending and I have also not submitted my LOE yet

Hello everyone, I'm an incoming MS-1 for the Inaugural Class at DMS. If anyone has any questions/concerns about the interview day, admissions stuff, or anything about DMS feel free to message me. Everybody at DMS is super helpful, so if I do not know the answer I will get it from the source.

Reactions: 5 users
Secondary invite just now! TMDSAS submitted 5/7, contact from Dell 5/21. Oh I'm also OOS. @WedgeDawg @Ismet

Questions:

Please give examples that indicate your ability to function effectively, as a productive member of a team working towards a common objective. Discuss your role and contribution to those teams. (4000 characters)

Please give examples that indicate your active engagement in your community. (4000 characters)

Please give examples that indicate your ability to creatively solve problems for the betterment of others. (4000 characters)

Please give examples that indicate your ability to overcome adverse situations. (4000 characters)

Holy balls this is a long secondary lol. Also this gem on their secondary page " You must “Submit” you’re secondary once you have completed the responses in order for the admissions office to proceed with your review." Come on Dell, it's your :p

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone, I'm an incoming MS-1 for the Inaugural Class at DMS. If anyone has any questions/concerns about the interview day, admissions stuff, or anything about DMS feel free to message me. Everybody at DMS is super helpful, so if I do not know the answer I will get it from the source.

hi! so on the dell pre-reqs page it says that genetics is "Strongly" recommended...so how much of a deal break is it if we don't have genetics/don't plan on taking it? i have a really good science gpa and plenty of upper division science classes....just not genetics. thank you! do you know many students that were admitted without genetics?

Can anyone give me a few examples or pointers about what to do with Question #3? I'm finished with the other ones, but I'm drawing a blank for this one..

I also haven't received a secondary, but I'm pre-writing everything to submit on the first day.

hi! so on the dell pre-reqs page it says that genetics is "Strongly" recommended...so how much of a deal break is it if we don't have genetics/don't plan on taking it? i have a really good science gpa and plenty of upper division science classes....just not genetics. thank you! do you know many students that were admitted without genetics?

I think "strongly recommended" means just that. I don't think they would hold it against you if you didn't have genetics (assuming everything else in your app is competitive).

I don't know if everyone has taken genetics, but I can imagine there are a few that have not - especially since we have a handful of non-trads, a psych PhD, etc.

Bear in mind though the reason why they strongly recommend genetics is because the curriculum is heavily integrated. The first class is like biochemistry, genetics, cell bio, etc all in one.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone give me a few examples or pointers about what to do with Question #3? I'm finished with the other ones, but I'm drawing a blank for this one..

I also haven't received a secondary, but I'm pre-writing everything to submit on the first day.

Try rephrasing the question or thinking outside the box. Do your friends come to you for life advice? Do you have any ECs that allow you to utilize problem solving skills, and if so, does resolving those problems help anyone else besides yourself?

Reactions: 2 users

Congratulations on starting med school! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary invite just now! TMDSAS submitted 5/7, contact from Dell 5/21. Oh I'm also OOS. @WedgeDawg @Ismet

Questions:

Holy balls this is a long secondary lol. Also this gem on their secondary page " You must “Submit” you’re secondary once you have completed the responses in order for the admissions office to proceed with your review." Come on Dell, it's your :p

What were your stats if you don't mind? And did you have your letters and transcripts already turned in to TMDSAS?

What were your stats if you don't mind? And did you have your letters and transcripts already turned in to TMDSAS?

My TMDSAS LizzyM is above 72 and yes, I had all my letters and transcripts already turned into TMDSAS. Once again, I'm OOS, though.

My TMDSAS LizzyM is above 72 and yes, I had all my letters and transcripts already turned into TMDSAS. Once again, I'm OOS, though.
Oh okay. Well that makes me feel a little better. I haven't turned in my LOE and transcripts to TMDSAS yet. It is taking time to process. But yeah OOS means they will look at you quicker. Good luck!

Hi y'all! Along with @w0rldw3y3d , I'm an incoming MS1 at Dell Med as well! Just to add on to what he has said, everyone at DMS has been super helpful and receptive to our questions and concerns. That being said, don't hesitate to get in touch with the staff there and feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns! School starts the end of June for us, but super excited to be a part of something great. Good luck to you all!

upload_2016-5-31_15-27-35.png

I was looking at the course requirements and I noticed this section. Do you know if Inorganic Chemistry is required or is it highly recommended?
@TexasResident3

Hi y'all! Along with @w0rldw3y3d , I'm an incoming MS1 at Dell Med as well! Just to add on to what he has said, everyone at DMS has been super helpful and receptive to our questions and concerns. That being said, don't hesitate to get in touch with the staff there and feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns! School starts the end of June for us, but super excited to be a part of something great. Good luck to you all!

Wow y'all start at the end of June?? Is this when most medical school start?

Wow y'all start at the end of June?? Is this when most medical school start?

Typically, most of the other schools in Texas start at the end of July/beginning of August, but Dell is one of the few schools that starts very early. A lot of this has to do with how our curriculum is set up. 1 year pre-clinical, 1 year clinical, 1 year of scholarly work (Dual Degree/Research), 1 year of electives/more rotations, etc.!

Received a secondary invite last week. I'm in state and haven't submitted my letters yet. LONG essays or at least lots of space, but I tried to get close to the limit, I love the location of this school.

Received a secondary invite last week. I'm in state and haven't submitted my letters yet. LONG essays or at least lots of space, but I tried to get close to the limit, I love the location of this school.

What date was your primary transmitted?

Got a secondary invite today. Just completed my app by submitting my MCAT this morning though...

Yeah I don't think I'm gonna get a secondary from Dell, then considering I submitted 5/27
Lizzy M ~68/69 (new mcat).

Reading last year's thread, they matriculated students with stats very similar to UTSW and BCM.

Well, I started digging through last year's thread and this is what @Med_2016 said:

"I ended up sending them an email to find out what was going on. I transmitted on 5/13 and still I have no response. The response was from a really nice and sympathetic adcom who stated that they got so many more apps than they thought, which is slowing everything down. She also said that all the apps will be looked over multiple times by multiple adcoms over the course of the application season. So if you haven't gotten a secondary invite yet, you haven't been screened out per se. The only time you can definitely confirm that you're out is when interview season ends and you haven't heard anything. Don't lose hope guys!!"

And per trend, high LizzyM+ other unknown factors get their secondary invitation quickly & those with lower scores got their invites around September. seems like their standards are pretty nebulous.

Last edited:
Well, I started digging through last year's thread and this is what @Med_2016 said:

"I ended up sending them an email to find out what was going on. I transmitted on 5/13 and still I have no response. The response was from a really nice and sympathetic adcom who stated that they got so many more apps than they thought, which is slowing everything down. She also said that all the apps will be looked over multiple times by multiple adcoms over the course of the application season. So if you haven't gotten a secondary invite yet, you haven't been screened out per se. The only time you can definitely confirm that you're out is when interview season ends and you haven't heard anything. Don't lose hope guys!!"

And per trend, high LizzyM+ other unknown factors get their secondary invitation quickly & those with lower scores got their invites around September. seems like their standards are pretty nebulous.
I also assume since I'm OOS and the timeline for OOS interviews / acceptances is earlier than IS students they look at us first. It would explain why I was able to get a secondary like 3 weeks ago (I also transmitted first couple days, though).

I wouldn't say their standards are nebulous. Beyond MCAT/GPA they look for strong leadership characteristics, and people who they think will fit the ideology of wanting to help fix what's wrong with our healthcare system.

I wouldn't say their standards are nebulous. Beyond MCAT/GPA they look for strong leadership characteristics, and people who they think will fit the ideology of wanting to help fix what's wrong with our healthcare system.

I think what I wrote didn't come off well. I just wanted to emphasize it's not just the scores that they consider!
I absolutely love their mission and would definitely love to get a chance to get to know the school on a personal level

I think what I wrote didn't come off well. I just wanted to emphasize it's not just the scores that they consider!
I absolutely love their mission and would definitely love to get a chance to get to know the school on a personal level
What's the hype all about the Dell Med? It is a new school with nothing to show for really. Wouldn't you rather go to a school that had graduated thousands of students with great GME prospects? Well maybe I am not that big on the Austin fandom :p

What's the hype all about the Dell Med? It is a new school with nothing to show for really. Wouldn't you rather go to a school that had graduated thousands of students with great GME prospects? Well maybe I am not that big on the Austin fandom :p

lol since I'm a UT grad and I still live here, I can't help but to see how awesome the new school is turning out to be.
There is definitely a risk to any new school but because it is being born from UT, it might just be different compared to other new schools. but only time will tell!

for now I just like their mission and curriculum:)
Everyone has different tastes and preferences so I'm sure there are lots of people who are not on the Austin fandom!

It's about what the school is determined to become, and what they are set out to accomplish using a world renowned academic institution as a spring board. It's about understanding the difference between risk, and calculated risk for those of us willing to create the path instead of follow it.

GME prospects are determined significantly by the individual, not the institution. What's more important is how happy you will be while you are working hard. The happier you are, the better you'll perform, the better your GME prospects. That's just my two cents.

It's about what the school is determined to become, and what they are set out to accomplish using a world renowned academic institution as a spring board. It's about understanding the difference between risk, and calculated risk for those of us willing to create the path instead of follow it.

GME prospects are determined significantly by the individual, not the institution. What's more important is how happy you will be while you are working hard. The happier you are, the better you'll perform, the better your GME prospects. That's just my two cents.
I will accept your two cents, but only time can tell how a new medical school fares when compared to the more established ones.
1) IMO, Dell wouldn't be the first med school to claim the mission to change the world. If they are focusing on trying to graduate students who will change the way we deliver care in TX, they are wasting time. GME is a medicare sponsored endeavour and it will not limit students from fleeing the state. Medicine is probably the only profession where your fate is decided by a computer (MATCH Day)!
2) You pose two contradicting statements: Wouldn't you agree that if a student goes to a world-renowned institution will have better GME prospects?
3) I agree that the credit should mostly go to the hard-working students.
Use it with a grain of salt :)

I'd agree. Part of that risk is also the novel curriculum, which puts a big emphasis on research.

Just submitted Dell 2ary today! Now time to wait.

I will accept your two cents, but only time can tell how a new medical school fares when compared to the more established ones.
1) IMO, Dell wouldn't be the first med school to claim the mission to change the world. If they are focusing on trying to graduate students who will change the way we deliver care in TX, they are wasting time. GME is a medicare sponsored endeavour and it will not limit students from fleeing the state. Medicine is probably the only profession where your fate is decided by a computer (MATCH Day)!
2) You pose two contradicting statements: Wouldn't you agree that if a student goes to a world-renowned institution will have better GME prospects?
3) I agree that the credit should mostly go to the hard-working students.
Use it with a grain of salt :)

I appreciate your opinion, but I am not here to argue back and forth with you. If you do not like Dell, simply do not apply. My goal here is to help the current applicants of Dell make informed decisions because I have been through it, had my pick of Texas medical schools, and I chose Dell. I have my reasons for my decision, and sharing them is my way of giving back to a community that has and will continue to help me.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd agree. Part of that risk is also the novel curriculum, which puts a big emphasis on research.

Just submitted Dell 2ary today! Now time to wait.

Duke has had a similar curriculum for a while and their students love it. It's also pretty awesome to have a year of research after a majority of the clerkships have been completed so you have a better idea of what specialty to build your CV for.

I appreciate your opinion, but I am not here to argue back and forth with you. If you do not like Dell, simply do not apply. My goal here is to help the current applicants of Dell make informed decisions because I have been through it, had my pick of Texas medical schools, and I chose Dell. I have my reasons for my decision, and sharing them is my way of giving back to a community that has and will continue to help me.
Nah man, I appreciate and welcome your responses. Nothing against the school, but I think I went overboard with the hype that surrounds a shiny new "UT" school. And I think Texas is shooting itself in the foot if the legislature thinks that by creating and investing in new medical schools ($$$) will help retain the graduates, then we are so wrong. Interesting article on that topic: https://www.texastribune.org/2016/01/16/medical-schools-boom-officials-warn-rising-costs/

Does anyone know if Dell sends out an email whether you got a secondary or not? TMDSAS transmitted to schools 6/1 and still haven't heard back.

Does anyone know if Dell sends out an email whether you got a secondary or not? TMDSAS transmitted to schools 6/1 and still haven't heard back.
yes dell emails out secondary invites

They screen applicants before they send out invites though, so it will take longer than most of the other TX schools

Got me a secondary. Time to start writing these massive essays. @w0rldw3y3d and @TexasResident3 did y'all use most of the available characters for these essays, or did you just list the relevant activities with adequate descriptions on what they were and what you learned? I only have one or a couple experiences in each and am not sure how much I need to write.

Hi Y'all,

My primary was transmitted to schools 06/01/16 and I received a secondary from Dell 06/08/2016. They were the last one to send me a secondary. My stats are sGPA: 3.91 cGPA: 3.76 and MCAT: 509. Hope this helps someone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are you IS?

Got me a secondary. Time to start writing these massive essays. @w0rldw3y3d and @TexasResident3 did y'all use most of the available characters for these essays, or did you just list the relevant activities with adequate descriptions on what they were and what you learned? I only have one or a couple experiences in each and am not sure how much I need to write.

I think all my essays used like, half of the available characters. I tried to be very creative with my responses though.