2016-2017 University of Texas at Austin (Dell) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone sent Dell an email yet to update contact info? Those of you accepted off WList, did you get an email as well as a phone call to notify you? The number Dell has for me isnt working/cancelled, but they said that they will email me as well as call so according to them, no need to give an update phone number .for WL reasons.

Members don't see this ad.

So if you're currently accepted somewhere in TX, next Thursday is the last day you can hear about a TX waitlist spot.
next thursday is June 2nd, so I will know by morning of June 2nd or end of the day?? Hmm

next thursday is June 2nd, so I will know by morning of June 2nd or end of the day?? Hmm
You will know by 5 pm on June 1 Central time zone
quoted from TMDSAS site: "After 5:00 pm CT on June 1, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas."

Members don't see this ad :)
I know some are debating UTSW vs Dell, but how would you compare Dell vs other lesser ranked med schools in Texas, like UTMB? I recently got an offer from Dell, but I matched to UTMB originally...

Reactions: 1 user
I know some are debating UTSW vs Dell, but how would you compare Dell vs other lesser ranked med schools in Texas, like UTMB? I recently got an offer from Dell, but I matched to UTMB originally...
Dell is "out of the box" and would fit a creative and innovative thinker and learner. Dell has a class of 50 and is located in hipster central Austin.
UTMB is Texas's first med school and has a more traditional and established curriculum. Class size is over 200. It keeps students very well informed on what to expect and there is a lot of support for student success. Galveston is a beach town so more laid back, 30 minutes from Houston.
Which fits your personality?

Dell is "out of the box" and would fit a creative and innovative thinker and learner. Dell has a class of 50 and is located in hipster central Austin.
UTMB is Texas's first med school and has a more traditional and established curriculum. Class size is over 200. It keeps students very well informed on what to expect and there is a lot of support for student success. Galveston is a beach town so more laid back, 30 minutes from Houston.
Which fits your personality?
That's the tough part... I definitely love the mission Dell has, not to mention the opportunities for students to take advantage of the small class number. However, I don't have too much experience with medicine (first person in my family) so having additional student support as well as many upperclassmen at different stages (pre/post step 1, applying to residency already) would be helpful as I try to make my way through the process.

I don't know if this would be a factor, but Dell offered me a 25% scholarship (renewable for 4 years), while UTMB has given me need-based grant funding worth about 50% of tuition and fees, and hasn't finished processing scholarships yet. Finances are a bit important to me, and I'm aware of how expensive Austin is compared to Galveston...

Not even a rejection email from DELL...alright then!

Dell Med has officially announced its Class of 2021, effectively ending this cycle's waitlist.
The class of 50 was chosen from 5,000 applicants and has 29 women and about 20% minority students. You can read about them on Dell Med's Facebook page if you use Facebook.