2016-2017 University of Texas at Austin (Dell) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Creative in what way?

Creative in that I critiqued how my ECs solved problems for the betterment of others, or how I worked as a team towards a common objective. I knew I had that experience, but I also had to think outside the box to explain how some of my non-academic ECs (work experience for example) had given me that experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody else still waiting on a secondary invite?

My app was received 6/9 and I'm IS with a LizzyM of 78 - still heard nothing.

Anybody else still waiting on a secondary invite?

My app was received 6/9 and I'm IS with a LizzyM of 78 - still heard nothing.

It sounds like they move on OOS people faster since they can notify them sooner than the pre match for IS people. At least that's what I remember hearing. I'm about the same LizzyM and OOS and got the secondary last week.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! For the last question, would it be okay to list in detail one adverse event and how I overcame it? I know that the prompt asks for examples (plural), but this particular essay seemed to flow a lot better with just one.

Anyone finished up the secondary here? Dell starts interviewing at the end of July, right? Anyone word on interviews?

If I completed the secondary a week ago that shouldn't be too late for their interviews starting at the end of july right? bc I guess invites for those will start going out in the next week or two...

If I completed the secondary a week ago that shouldn't be too late for their interviews starting at the end of july right? bc I guess invites for those will start going out in the next week or two...
Do you have the list of interview dates?

Do you have the list of interview dates?

no, they don't seem to be posted on their website but i also didn't look very thoroughly. their application timeline says that interviews start at the end of july. do you think submitting my secondary last week might be too late for the first interviews at dell

edit: i'll look more carefully for the interview dates and post on here if I find them

no, they don't seem to be posted on their website but i also didn't look very thoroughly. their application timeline says that interviews start at the end of july. do you think submitting my secondary last week might be too late for the first interviews at dell

edit: i'll look more carefully for the interview dates and post on here if I find them

I'm an MS1 at Dell, our orientation was this week and they confirmed that the first interview day is at the end of July. And I would assume your secondary would be early enough to be considered for that day :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an MS1 at Dell, our orientation was this week and they confirmed that the first interview day is at the end of July. And I would assume your secondary would be early enough to be considered for that day :)
oh awesome! did they say when they would be sending out invites for that day? or how many ppl they plan on interviewing for the 50 seats?

Congratulations on being accepted to Dell!! This is truly me dream school. Would you mind sharing your stats with us? How was your first week of class??

oh awesome! did they say when they would be sending out invites for that day? or how many ppl they plan on interviewing for the 50 seats?

They didn't say any specific timeline for sending out interview invites, it was more of giving us a heads up that's it's coming up soon because they want us to help out. If I HAD to guess (and believe me, this is totally a guess so take it with a major grain of salt), I'd say about 2 weeks before (so week of July 11-15) just because next week is our first week of class and I think they'll have their hands full with us! As far as # of people, for ours last year there were 6 interview dates with an AM/PM session for each day. Each session had maybe 30 people in it, so all in all it worked out be ~360ish people who were interviewed. The main reason they only did half-day interviews though was because there were no facilities to tour and no students to meet, so they may switch to the normal full-day interview now that we have both :) I'd say total number to interview would probably still be around that 360 number. Here's an article that broke it down numerically (just found it, actually 350 interviewed): http://dailytexanonline.com/2015/11...d-of-students-using-unprecedented-application

Congratulations on being accepted to Dell!! This is truly me dream school. Would you mind sharing your stats with us? How was your first week of class??

Thanks!!! LizzyM ~72, URM, IS. Also had some pretty unique ECs, although that's not saying TOO much because everybody I've talked to has really cool ECs. If this is your dream school, don't be afraid to really highlight that and how well you fit into the school's mission.

Orientation was awesome!! We had an intro to case-based learning as well as a few other parts of the curriculum, met faculty, and ate really well. There were also some very fun events to go to. Classes officially start Tuesday so really looking forward to getting started!

Reactions: 3 users
They didn't say any specific timeline for sending out interview invites, it was more of giving us a heads up that's it's coming up soon because they want us to help out. If I HAD to guess (and believe me, this is totally a guess so take it with a major grain of salt), I'd say about 2 weeks before (so week of July 11-15) just because next week is our first week of class and I think they'll have their hands full with us! As far as # of people, for ours last year there were 6 interview dates with an AM/PM session for each day. Each session had maybe 30 people in it, so all in all it worked out be ~360ish people who were interviewed. The main reason they only did half-day interviews though was because there were no facilities to tour and no students to meet, so they may switch to the normal full-day interview now that we have both :) I'd say total number to interview would probably still be around that 360 number. Here's an article that broke it down numerically (just found it, actually 350 interviewed): http://dailytexanonline.com/2015/11...d-of-students-using-unprecedented-application

Thanks!!! LizzyM ~72, URM, IS. Also had some pretty unique ECs, although that's not saying TOO much because everybody I've talked to has really cool ECs. If this is your dream school, don't be afraid to really highlight that and how well you fit into the school's mission.

Orientation was awesome!! We had an intro to case-based learning as well as a few other parts of the curriculum, met faculty, and ate really well. There were also some very fun events to go to. Classes officially start Tuesday so really looking forward to getting started!
That's awesome. I'm dying to hear from them! I bet it will be a little bit different for this year, but when did you receive your secondary invitation to Dell? How long after you received it did you get a call for an interview?

That's awesome. I'm dying to hear from them! I bet it will be a little bit different for this year, but when did you receive your secondary invitation to Dell? How long after you received it did you get a call for an interview?
I ended up not matriculating at Dell but the timeline for me was secondary invite the day after my app was transmitted from TMDSAS (early July) and then interview invite phone call in mid-September for a late October interview.
And then I got in off the waitlist in the Spring.
OOS LizzyM 76

The stats that have been posted on the Dell website are a GPA average of 3.8, and an MCAT average of 88th percentile (~32 on the old scale). The inaugural class had a combined average of 349 community service hours, 1,702 clinical hours, and 851 research hours. The youngest person is 21 (just turned), and the oldest is 39. The underrepresented students make up 22% of the class. The in- state students make up 92% of the class. Also, and this is anecdotal, but everyone I've talked to has a very strong and passionate personality for what that's worth.

Reactions: 1 users

Would you mind sharing your unique ECs?

I received my secondary 1-2 weeks after my app was complete, submitted it within 2-3 days. Received the call for an interview about a month after that.

Would you mind sharing your unique ECs?

Sorry, sharing ECs makes it incredibly easy to find out who I am. I will echo what @w0rldw3y3d said though in that everybody is very genuinely passionate about whatever they had done before this and about what Dell aims to do. If you think that describes you as well, then let that shine through in your personal statement, secondary essays, interview, every aspect of the process. There are a lot of diverse ECs and I think if you've done something you're passionate about and you think it will make you a better physician in some way, that'll help you out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
For everyone who has received secondaries, were your LORs submitted by this time? My school prepares a packet (committee letter + individual rec's) that is going to be sent on July 20th.

For everyone who has received secondaries, were your LORs submitted by this time? My school prepares a packet (committee letter + individual rec's) that is going to be sent on July 20th.
Neither my LORs nor my transcript had been received when I got the secondary

I received my secondary 1-2 weeks after my app was complete, submitted it within 2-3 days. Received the call for an interview about a month after that.

Sorry, sharing ECs makes it incredibly easy to find out who I am. I will echo what @w0rldw3y3d said though in that everybody is very genuinely passionate about whatever they had done before this and about what Dell aims to do. If you think that describes you as well, then let that shine through in your personal statement, secondary essays, interview, every aspect of the process. There are a lot of diverse ECs and I think if you've done something you're passionate about and you think it will make you a better physician in some way, that'll help you out.

So does that mean if someone has fairly normal "premed" ECs that they're out of the running (like TA, tutor, research, etc)? I definitely put in time into those activities though to make an impact but by no means would i consider them "unique". I got a secondary so I'm guessing they atleast kind of liked what they saw but i don't know if it's interview worthy haha

Feels like everyone got a secondary... :(

Just called the admissions office. They said the first interview invites will be made by phone starting next week. The first day of interviews is July 26th. Here's to hoping we get one! :xf:

Just called the admissions office. They said the first interview invites will be made by phone starting next week. The first day of interviews is July 26th. Here's to hoping we get one! :xf:
just found some duct tape to permanently attach my phone to my hand

Reactions: 3 users
So does that mean if someone has fairly normal "premed" ECs that they're out of the running (like TA, tutor, research, etc)? I definitely put in time into those activities though to make an impact but by no means would i consider them "unique". I got a secondary so I'm guessing they atleast kind of liked what they saw but i don't know if it's interview worthy haha

I don't mean it like that, I apologize for coming off that way. I don't think any specific EC puts you in or out of the running. I think fairly normal premed ECs can be fantastic, it depends on how you feel about them and how you describe them though. I would imagine that somebody who put a lot of time into certain activities because they care and they hoped to make an impact is perceived much differently than somebody who comes across as a box-checker who just does things because they think that's what is needed to get admitted. I'll reiterate what I said before: There are a lot of diverse ECs and I think if you've done something you're passionate about and you think it will make you a better physician in some way, that'll help you out. We've had several people who have taught, tutored, some very research heavy people, some who previously worked in healthcare, some people really involved in the community, some in business, some in computer science. I think part of what makes these 'cool' or interesting when talking to people is that you can see the passion and see how that impacts their perspective on healthcare.

I hope that is better-worded on my part, and again, I'm just an MS1 so this is just my speculation after talking with classmates and based on my own personal experience. I wish you all good luck and hope to see you July 26!

Reactions: 4 users
Please give examples that indicate your ability to overcome adverse situations.

I wrote about this in TMDSAS secondary essays, should I repeat or find something new?

Please give examples that indicate your ability to overcome adverse situations.

I wrote about this in TMDSAS secondary essays, should I repeat or find something new?
I think it's an opportunity to 1) better explain those adverse situations or 2)share something new with Dell not on your application. Either one could help you to become a more compelling candidate.

For everyone that's called the admissions office, what number are you using? I've tried 512 495 5150 few times now with no call back about my LORs question.

That's the one I used. The first time I called they didn't answer. Seems somewhat hit or miss with all the different admissions offices I've called with questions. I guess they're just really busy.

So nervous about this whole phone call thing next week....

Same here haha. I'm hoping if they call it comes tomorrow cause I'm more available to take phone calls during that shift.
Luckily the physician I work for is super chill and knows if I step out in the middle of whatever, it's super important.

Same here haha. I'm hoping if they call it comes tomorrow cause I'm more available to take phone calls during that shift.
I'm hoping they call tomorrow because as it is I feel that they're not giving us too much advance notice..but let's be real they could call me and tell me do be down the next day and I probably would...

Last edited:
I'm hoping they call tomorrow because as it is I feel that they're not giving us too much advance notice as it is...but let's be real they could call me and tell me do be down the next day and I probably would...

Seriously this is like 2 weeks notice. I hope my boss isn't upset if I ask to re-arrange my schedule. It's not likely I get an interview though because I'm OOS.

Seriously this is like 2 weeks notice. I hope my boss isn't upset if I ask to re-arrange my schedule. It's not likely I get an interview though because I'm OOS.
What i wonder if how many people they've sent secondaries out to thus far....

Must be a pretty big screen; I still haven't gotten a secondary yet, but I'm getting II's at the other Texas schools so I didn't think my application was too bad o_O

Must be a pretty big screen; I still haven't gotten a secondary yet, but I'm getting II's at the other Texas schools so I didn't think my application was too bad o_O
If you don't mind me asking, where else have you gotten a II?

Supposed to be a pretty big pre-screen right?
It is a big screen. Apparently only 20% of applicants get a secondary. So that's about 900 students. Of those, I think around 300 get interviews? You'll get an interview man, I've got confidence in you.