**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you going to stay in Texas?! Congrats!!!!!
Not just in TX but she got even better news. Congratulations @SydSing (Not creeping just saw you post on another thread and was coming in here to show some love!)

EDIT: Just saw you already posted in here... Congratulations again!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ooooooouuuuuu lil mama you're lit. & I love you that much more because batman is my soulmate, so that makes you my soulmate via Pythagorean theorem or whatever :laugh::love: congrats
I love it when you speak science

Reactions: 1 users
I like how users in the thread are setting the bar even higher with full ride offers haha.

Keep killing it guys and happy holidays to you all!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
whaaaaaaa wait! you got a full scholarship???!!! I totally missed that part! ayyyyyyye

:horns: I feel like it isn't real. I mean I have applied there multiple times and it ended in rejections and a waitlist. Now this? Cray.

Are you going to stay in Texas?! Congrats!!!!!

Looks that way. I'd be crazy to turn down such an offer (unless a better one comes). But with tuition being zero and COL already low, I doubt it.

Not just in TX but she got even better news. Congratulations @SydSing (Not creeping just saw you post on another thread and was coming in here to show some love!)

EDIT: Just saw you already posted in here... Congratulations again!

I just did recently! :) Thank you, friend.

Hi fellow URMers. Just got my first acceptance last week via email. (#blessed, #thisisforallmyhaters, #justkiddingIdon'thaveanyhaters) Is there an appropriate/expected etiquette post acceptance email? Should I reply to the email with a big ass thank you?

Reactions: 10 users
We are killing it y'all.

I posted on the school specific forum, but I also got a full tuition scholarship (to UTSW). I'm still in shock and ready to get rollin'!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Forgot to put it on here as well but +1!

Reactions: 6 users
Hi fellow URMers. Just got my first acceptance last week via email. (#blessed, #thisisforallmyhaters, #justkiddingIdon'thaveanyhaters) Is there an appropriate/expected etiquette post acceptance email? Should I reply to the email with a big ass thank you?
Usually it tells you what you need to do for paperwork etc... No big thank you necessary

Received acceptance yesterday at one of my top choices--I'm so happy! Congrats to all those accepted and good luck to those waiting! As a non-trad graduate student, know that it's possible for anyone no matter what your circumstances!

Reactions: 14 users
Received acceptance yesterday at one of my top choices--I'm so happy! Congrats to all those accepted and good luck to those waiting! As a non-trad graduate student, know that it's possible for anyone no matter what your circumstances!
Congratulations!!!!!

Congrats to everyone! And to those still waiting,don't you worry your time will come!

Congrats to everyone! And to those still waiting,don't you worry your time will come!
Haven't ever written in this, but I've been looking through this, I have been so proud, inspired & a little bit jealous of everyone and their acceptances. But i finally got mine today, so it's lit!! I'm so excited that I am going to be a doctor!

Reactions: 9 users
Haven't ever written in this, but I've been looking through this, I have been so proud, inspired & a little bit jealous of everyone and their acceptances. But i finally got mine today, so it's lit!! I'm so excited that I am going to be a doctor!
Yesssss! Welcome and congrats!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats on your first acceptance! I saw your post in the Emory thread. I'll PM you after I get my admissions decision later this week. I'm not a believer of giving advice if I'm going to be rejected.

Congratulations!

Got my 1st acceptance a few days ago, I'm feeling so excited and sometimes I can't believe it. Congrats to all of us accepted and don't lose your hope if you are still waiting!

Reactions: 12 users
Felt like I should finally say something on this thread. Congrats to everyone on this thread with acceptances. And to those still waiting I am sure good things are coming your way.

Reactions: 3 users
Got my 1st acceptance a few days ago, I'm feeling so excited and sometimes I can't believe it. Congrats to all of us accepted and don't lose your hope if you are still waiting!

I've been having the same exact feeling! Congrats!

Do y'all think more IIs happen before or after new year's?

Like overall? Before.

But between now and after New Years... after since most schools are on skeleton staff until after early January.

By the end of December that's about 4 months of interviews (I'm subtracting holidays and the beginning of August.) A lot of schools stop in March and some earlier so after January is 2.5-3 months max IF the schools on your list go that far.

Accepted today to the school my significant other attends!!! What a great Christmas present!

Reactions: 14 users
Oh wow! Congratulations! That's will really simplify life for the both of you!
Haha yeah I'm not counting anything out but it does make the conversation easier having this as an option

On that note, which one of you lovely people will make the Acceptance thread? If you aren't sure the format, search earlier years, then copy and paste!

I am looking forward to seeing the long list, and what schools have large numbers, and just in general our spread throughout the country!

Excitedddddddd

On that note, which one of you lovely people will make the Acceptance thread? If you aren't sure the format, search earlier years, then copy and paste!

I am looking forward to seeing the long list, and what schools have large numbers, and just in general our spread throughout the country!

Excitedddddddd

Is it time? Wow this has flown by! I don't mind doing so but should I go ahead or wait until the cycle is closer to the end?

Excitedddddddd

What acceptance thread?

Is it time? Wow this has flown by! I don't mind doing so but should I go ahead or wait until the cycle is closer to the end?

In years past it's been made in October! So I don't see why not. It's a good tracker to have. A lot of schools finish interviews in January anyway so I don't think it's too early. *shrugs*

I also think it could be helpful for people starting to make decisions on where to withdraw acceptances if they can see other members who share acceptances and they can contact that person to discuss pros/cons from their experiences or in general to see where seems to have a lot of URMs if that's an important factor in deciding. For me diversity is an important factor so it would help me tons to be able to go through the decision with our little extended family

Excitedddddddd

Just made it, here it is!

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-2016-2017-urm-acceptance-thread.1234115/

Got rejected pre-II from Illinois today, but got accepted to SUNY Upstate!!! God is so amazing. My hands are still shaking. First acceptance, reapplicant after getting all rejections my first time around. Keep up the faith guys!!! I love this thread!!!

Reactions: 17 users
Got rejected pre-II from Illinois today, but got accepted to SUNY Upstate!!! God is so amazing. My hands are still shaking. First acceptance, reapplicant after getting all rejections my first time around. Keep up the faith guys!!! I love this thread!!!
Congratukations!
Edit: so excited I spelled the word wrong!

Congrats man (or girl), perseverance and hard work pay off

Congrats Doc! :clap::bow:

Hi Everyone I'm new to SDN (extremely new), and still figuring a lot of things out. I've been reading through the thread and as a lot of people have said before me, its great to see all the acceptances and the support that everyone is offering. I decided to post because I had a question about selecting a school. I've visited several great schools on the interview trail and been accepted to some wonderful programs, but I wanted to know if anyone had advice on how to find out the culture of a school or its general attitude towards minorities. Many schools emphasis the importance of diversity and inclusion, but I know that what an institution says to applicants and how URM who attend the school feel doesn't always match up. I'm applying MD/PhD so wherever I go I know I'll be there for at least 7 years. I just want to make sure that its a place where I can feel comfortable.

This may not be the correct thread to ask this question so if there is a more appropriate place to ask please let me know!

And again congrats to all those who have been accepted and happy holidays!

Hi Everyone I'm new to SDN (extremely new), and still figuring a lot of things out. I've been reading through the thread and as a lot of people have said before me, its great to see all the acceptances and the support that everyone is offering. I decided to post because I had a question about selecting a school. I've visited several great schools on the interview trail and been accepted to some wonderful programs, but I wanted to know if anyone had advice on how to find out the culture of a school or its general attitude towards minorities. Many schools emphasis the importance of diversity and inclusion, but I know that what an institution says to applicants and how URM who attend the school feel doesn't always match up. I'm applying MD/PhD so wherever I go I know I'll be there for at least 7 years. I just want to make sure that its a place where I can feel comfortable.

This may not be the correct thread to ask this question so if there is a more appropriate place to ask please let me know!

Welcome! This is the perfect thread. I'll add my two cents and I'm sure others that are also experienced will chime in too!

So at a basic, cut and dry level try looking at how many minorities are in attendance on MSAR and if the school's mission directly addresses serving our communities or a diverse workforce. And though the numbers aren't broken into MD/PhD it is a general idea. The more that are there, the higher chance the environment is nurturing.

I also look at the office of diversity online and how well established / active it is. See if you can find what activities are offered and how much the school is actually pouring into additional resources and events.

Then consider connecting with a current student on the Facebook page for your class or emailing the office of diversity to put you in touch with one. I've yet to meet or talks to a current student that was not completely honest and candid with me.

Reactions: 5 users
Welcome! This is the perfect thread. I'll add my two cents and I'm sure others that are also experienced will chime in too!

So at a basic, cut and dry level try looking at how many minorities are in attendance on MSAR and if the school's mission directly addresses serving our communities or a diverse workforce. And though the numbers aren't broken into MD/PhD it is a general idea. The more that are there, the higher chance the environment is nurturing.

I also look at the office of diversity online and how well established / active it is. See if you can find what activities are offered and how much the school is actually pouring into additional resources and events.

Then consider connecting with a current student on the Facebook page for your class or emailing the office of diversity to put you in touch with one. I've yet to meet or talks to a current student that was not completely honest and candid with me.

Thanks for the response I appreciate it!

Agree with @SydSing. One of the first things I looked at was the matriculant demographics on MSAR. While useful as a starting point, it doesn't represent the demographics of entire student body in terms of both ethnicity and gender/sexuality so keep that in mind. Like you said, all schools will tell you they value diversity and inclusion , but it's tricky figuring out which schools are just trying to fill seats for LCME accreditation and which actually value URM students. Which to me means the school not only promotes it , but also has systems in place that support URM students, incorporates cultural sensitivity/understanding into curricula and appreciates the benefits that URM students bring to the entire student body and to medicine as a practice.

I may be way too spiritual , but I always access how I feel emotionally after the interview day. I also take note of the other applicants I interview with since they generally represent what the school is looking for. I've axed one school so far because of this ( walked into the interviewee waiting room filled with 9 white men, only two women and I was the only URM). Interested to hear how other folks approach this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Merry Christmas you successful mothaf...can't swear online cause I'm going to be a professional now...**** it... for those waiting to hear back... your time will come... just be patient!

Agree with @SydSing. One of the first things I looked at was the matriculant demographics on MSAR. While useful as a starting point, it doesn't represent the demographics of entire student body in terms of both ethnicity and gender/sexuality so keep that in mind. Like you said, all schools will tell you they value diversity and inclusion , but it's tricky figuring out which schools are just trying to fill seats for LCME accreditation and which actually value URM students. Which to me means the school not only promotes it , but also has systems in place that support URM students, incorporates cultural sensitivity/understanding into curricula and appreciates the benefits that URM students bring to the entire student body and to medicine as a practice.

I may be way too spiritual , but I always access how I feel emotionally after the interview day. I also take note of the other applicants I interview with since they generally represent what the school is looking for. I've axed one school so far because of this ( walked into the interviewee waiting room filled with 9 white men, only two women and I was the only URM). Interested to hear how other folks approach this.

I definitely agree with gauging my feelings during and after an interview. There was one school in particular that I had heard things about from a former faculty member long before I applied. She talked about how being a woman and a minority she didn't feel supported and she felt like she was constantly fighting an uphill battle at the institution. However, when I interviewed there I didn't get that vibe at all. Most of the students I talked to were in their first year so their perspective was based on less than 6 months of attendance. That experience left me wondering whether things had changed that drastically over 2 years or if I just wasn't asking the right questions or talking to the right people.

I definitely agree with gauging my feelings during and after an interview. There was one school in particular that I had heard things about from a former faculty member long before I applied. She talked about how being a woman and a minority she didn't feel supported and she felt like she was constantly fighting an uphill battle at the institution. However, when I interviewed there I didn't get that vibe at all. Most of the students I talked to were in their first year so their perspective was based on less than 6 months of attendance. That experience left me wondering whether things had changed that drastically over 2 years or if I just wasn't asking the right questions or talking to the right people.

Have you stayed with any URM student hosts? If you have not during interview season thus far, I would recommend going to second look at the institutions you are considering. At second look, I would ask tough questions about a school's climate for URM students, mentorship, etc. Sometimes, it is also a good idea to talk to faculty of color to get a sense of what their experiences are. As an MD/PhD student, assessing a school's climate is especially important since you will be spending 7-8 years at one particular institution. I am e-mailing current students at the institutions that I have been accepted to about the topics I have mentioned in this post.

Sometimes gut feelings may be misguided. The reason being, at interview day schools are trying to recruit you and it is often hard to see through it all. I believe it is a good idea to go with your gut feeling, but make sure your gut feeling is substantiated by evidence.