**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!!

I first want to say congrats to everyone! I've been flipping through some of the most recent pages and have seen a lot of acceptances and interviews!!!
I'm applying this upcoming cycle and had a few questions for URMs like myself. I don't mind attending schools that are PWI, but I personally feel more comfortable with a school with a bit of diversity. I'm aware of schools like Howard, Meharry, and Morehouse, but I was wondering if anyone has interviewed at schools in NY (where I'm considered in-state) that also do a pretty good job at diversity? I'd like to know other schools outside of NY that are also pretty diverse.

P.S. I'm new to SDN and still have a lot more research do. I plan on buying MSAR, but I want to read personal accounts, not just numbers.

Please let me know if this is the wrong place to ask!

Thanks!
 
Hi everyone!!

I first want to say congrats to everyone! I've been flipping through some of the most recent pages and have seen a lot of acceptances and interviews!!!
I'm applying this upcoming cycle and had a few questions for URMs like myself. I don't mind attending schools that are PWI, but I personally feel more comfortable with a school with a bit of diversity. I'm aware of schools like Howard, Meharry, and Morehouse, but I was wondering if anyone has interviewed at schools in NY (where I'm considered in-state) that also do a pretty good job at diversity? I'd like to know other schools outside of NY that are also pretty diverse.

P.S. I'm new to SDN and still have a lot more research do. I plan on buying MSAR, but I want to read personal accounts, not just numbers.

Please let me know if this is the wrong place to ask!

Thanks!

I applied to all NYC schools and interviewed/will interview at every single one of them. PM if you would like to talk!
 
Hi everyone!!

I first want to say congrats to everyone! I've been flipping through some of the most recent pages and have seen a lot of acceptances and interviews!!!
I'm applying this upcoming cycle and had a few questions for URMs like myself. I don't mind attending schools that are PWI, but I personally feel more comfortable with a school with a bit of diversity. I'm aware of schools like Howard, Meharry, and Morehouse, but I was wondering if anyone has interviewed at schools in NY (where I'm considered in-state) that also do a pretty good job at diversity? I'd like to know other schools outside of NY that are also pretty diverse.

P.S. I'm new to SDN and still have a lot more research do. I plan on buying MSAR, but I want to read personal accounts, not just numbers.

Please let me know if this is the wrong place to ask!

Thanks!
I'm a New yorker as well and interviewed at a good number of them. Hit me up if youyou got any question. I also interviewed at Pennsylvania schools as well if you want to stay local but not NY
 
What is TX match day?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile
The great state of TX likes to do things a little differently. Basically, when you go into your TMDSAS portal, there is a section that has all of the schools that you interviewed at. You rank them based on your preference. So your number 1 choice, you would rank number 1, your number 2 choice you would rank 2 etc. Now if school 1 sends you an acceptance, you will match there and any other acceptances from the other schools will be thrown out the window. Now if school 1 doesn't accept you but school 2 does, your would matriculate at school 2. If school 1 waitlists you and school 2 accepts you, a seat would be held for you at school 2 if you don't get into school 1 off of the waitlist. I hope that isn't too confusing but it's a way to make sure that you end up where you want to and schools don't have to wait to fill up their class. This exciting match process happens on Feb 1st or 2nd each year
 
The great state of TX likes to do things a little differently. Basically, when you go into your TMDSAS portal, there is a section that has all of the schools that you interviewed at. You rank them based on your preference. So your number 1 choice, you would rank number 1, your number 2 choice you would rank 2 etc. Now if school 1 sends you an acceptance, you will match there and any other acceptances from the other schools will be thrown out the window. Now if school 1 doesn't accept you but school 2 does, your would matriculate at school 2. If school 1 waitlists you and school 2 accepts you, a seat would be held for you at school 2 if you don't get into school 1 off of the waitlist. I hope that isn't too confusing but it's a way to make sure that you end up where you want to and schools don't have to wait to fill up their class. This exciting match process happens on Feb 1st or 2nd each year
No its not confusing it's identical to residency match for the most part. But what happens if you've already been accepted to multiple Texas schools before match day? Cus I think OTI was if I remember correctly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile
 
No its not confusing it's identical to residency match for the most part. But what happens if you've already been accepted to multiple Texas schools before match day? Cus I think OTI was if I remember correctly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile
Yeah, so I will rank all the schools I was accepted into in order of my preference. Come "Match Day," I just drop all my other seats for my number one.
 
Yeah, so I will rank all the schools I was accepted into in order of my preference. Come "Match Day," I just drop all my other seats for my number one.
Since we're all being nosey... have you narrowed it down or have you not even thought about it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can we sway you Texas babies to come to the east coast (beast coast) 🙄 we have snow!!

Haha well seeing as how I almost died last week because of the cold gust we had, probably not. Also my sister just got married and I am expecting a niece or nephew in the next year. That alone is enough to make me want to stay close to home. Top it off with the crazy close relationship I have with my parents and le $$$ and you have a very happy Syd.

@O.T.I. Good call.
 
Anyone has a shopping list for medical school they want to share with me. I don't know what else I will need and I want to budget my money smartly

This is something I've been thinking about a lot too! I think the list is heavily dependent on your situation. Will you be moving very far from where you are currently living? Will you be living in an apartment? If so, you may want to think about what kinds of things you already have as far as appliances, furniture etc.

And then also materials for the start of med school as well like a laptop, tablet, desktop, etc. And then of course the kinds of supplies may again depend on you. If you like to take handwritten notes then things like notebooks, binders, pens, binders, etc.

A question that I have that kind of relates, does anyone have insight on laptops for medical school, assuming there are no required models? I have a macbook pro that I got my freshman year of college (so about 5 years old), but I'm thinking of getting a macbook air for Med school because I have literally never used the disc player. Thoughts?
 
This is something I've been thinking about a lot too! I think the list is heavily dependent on your situation. Will you be moving very far from where you are currently living? Will you be living in an apartment? If so, you may want to think about what kinds of things you already have as far as appliances, furniture etc.

And then also materials for the start of med school as well like a laptop, tablet, desktop, etc. And then of course the kinds of supplies may again depend on you. If you like to take handwritten notes then things like notebooks, binders, pens, binders, etc.

A question that I have that kind of relates, does anyone have insight on laptops for medical school, assuming there are no required models? I have a macbook pro that I got my freshman year of college (so about 5 years old), but I'm thinking of getting a macbook air for Med school because I have literally never used the disc player. Thoughts?

I'm actually hoping to do the opposite. Get a MBP because my air is too small. At least one of the schools I've interviewed at gives out iPads so I'm hoping I don't have to buy one.

My running list is the following:

Crock pot (quick shout out to migos)
Keurig or some coffe making machine
Good head phones

And other womanly things I won't bother to share lol what are y'all thinking as far as supplies?
 
This is something I've been thinking about a lot too! I think the list is heavily dependent on your situation. Will you be moving very far from where you are currently living? Will you be living in an apartment? If so, you may want to think about what kinds of things you already have as far as appliances, furniture etc.

And then also materials for the start of med school as well like a laptop, tablet, desktop, etc. And then of course the kinds of supplies may again depend on you. If you like to take handwritten notes then things like notebooks, binders, pens, binders, etc.

A question that I have that kind of relates, does anyone have insight on laptops for medical school, assuming there are no required models? I have a macbook pro that I got my freshman year of college (so about 5 years old), but I'm thinking of getting a macbook air for Med school because I have literally never used the disc player. Thoughts?
Ummm would say wait until after second look and ask. At least one school I know has laptop requirements. Ask at second look then buy what you wish.
 
Noise-cancelling headphones and a crock pot are definitely a must
Espresso machine -- loans can't fund this habit
Macbook Pro 13 in. -- I want the 15 but again, I am broke
Ergonomic desk chair and nice desk -- you'll be there so much, why not?
Additional business casual clothes -- 2-3 solid combos for early patient encounters and such
Music service subscription -- if you don't have one already
Printer
Dry erase board!! -- for me, this is important
 
I'm actually hoping to do the opposite. Get a MBP because my air is too small. At least one of the schools I've interviewed at gives out iPads so I'm hoping I don't have to buy one.

My running list is the following:

Crock pot (quick shout out to migos)
Keurig or some coffe making machine
Good head phones

And other womanly things I won't bother to share lol what are y'all thinking as far as supplies?

That's so funny I was just contemplating the pros and cons of a crockpot. I think that's definitely a worthwhile purchase! I don't drink coffee so I can't comment on the Keurig.
 
Ummm would say wait until after second look and ask. At least one school I know has laptop requirements. Ask at second look then buy what you wish.

That makes sense. I was looking at one school in particular and they gave stats on what most students use (although there are no requirements) and something like 66% of students used Macs I just wasn't sure if there was any benefit to getting the Pro vs. the Air? I am not the most computer savvy 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Apple products sucks to me so I'm going to stay away from them and I love cooking so I won't be getting a crock pot that's a hobby I won't allow medical school to ruin
 
Apple products sucks to me so I'm going to stay away from them and I love cooking so I won't be getting a crock pot that's a hobby I won't allow medical school to ruin
same, I think I'm gonna get a surface book so I can fold the screen back and take notes in OneNote with that dope pen that comes with it
 
Congrats ! Can you please share your stats ? IS or OOS?

Why are you asking people to share their stats and whether IS or OOS here where people rarely list what school they are referring to? It would be better if you went to the schools (on school-specific threads) you are interested in or waiting to hear back from and use the search function to get an idea of who received IIs and acceptances.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Last edited:
Noise-cancelling headphones and a crock pot are definitely a must
Espresso machine -- loans can't fund this habit
Macbook Pro 13 in. -- I want the 15 but again, I am broke
Ergonomic desk chair and nice desk -- you'll be there so much, why not?
Additional business casual clothes -- 2-3 solid combos for early patient encounters and such
Music service subscription -- if you don't have one already
Printer
Dry erase board!! -- for me, this is important
I would like to add some more items that come to mind right now:
A driver license and or a car (if your school requires)
A good pair of sneakers
A cheap pair of scrubs
Post it
Sharpies (of different colors)
Pens (of different colors) this is a great highlighter-pencil combo https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IFELT8K/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A34NZRMQO8HH6I
Laptop stand this one is great for mac's https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00W...SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=laptop+stand
You might need furniture if the apt is empty, some ideas like
Sofa
Bed/mattress
Linen
Towels
Dishes/plates or plastics
Pots
Glasses/cups
Hangers
 
Anti virus is also required at schools due to HIPAA. I like webroot myself because their scans are faster and use cloud server for data storage on malware - which saves time, ram, and processing. But if you like absolute protection then go for Kaspersky

I also suggest to not worry too much about cooking. My classmates have for the most part relied solely on our cafeteria and nearby food courts for meals. I used to cook but realized that the time spent could be saved on studying.

To my understanding, some schools expect you to buy specific models or buy the laptop directly from their book store too.
I would like to add some more items that come to mind right now:
A driver license and or a car (if your school requires)
A good pair of sneakers
A cheap pair of scrubs
Post it
Sharpies (of different colors)
Pens (of different colors) this is a great highlighter-pencil combo https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IFELT8K/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A34NZRMQO8HH6I
Laptop stand this one is great for mac's https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00W...SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=laptop+stand
You might need furniture if the apt is empty, some ideas like
Sofa
Bed/mattress
Linen
Towels
Dishes/plates or plastics
Pots
Glasses/cups
Hangers
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
9th and 10th interview today. I can't even believe it! !!!! I feel so guilty turning Down interviews after I was praying for just one only months ago bUT I am trying to be strategic with the schools I attend now. Lucky these 2 are!
Congratulations!
 
I was thinking about the interview I should have but turned down at SUNY upstate all day today. 🙁 Not that I wanted to go to this school over my other acceptance but because I feel guilty throwing away a opportunity that I worked hard for. I know this is a work way of looking at things but that's what went through my mind. But I am still pretty sure I didn't want to spend 4 years in that location.
 
I was thinking about the interview I should have but turned down at SUNY upstate all day today. 🙁 Not that I wanted to go to this school over my other acceptance but because I feel guilty throwing away a opportunity that I worked hard for. I know this is a work way of looking at things but that's what went through my mind. But I am still pretty sure I didn't want to spend 4 years in that location.

I completely understand. I had to cancel Dartmouth and UC San Diego because I simply can't afford the travel anymore.

I hope it all turns out for the best! Congratulations on all your success!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I was thinking about the interview I should have but turned down at SUNY upstate all day today. 🙁 Not that I wanted to go to this school over my other acceptance but because I feel guilty throwing away a opportunity that I worked hard for. I know this is a work way of looking at things but that's what went through my mind. But I am still pretty sure I didn't want to spend 4 years in that location.

I completely understand. I had to cancel Dartmouth and UC San Diego because I simply can't afford the travel anymore.

I hope it all turns out for the best! Congratulations on all your success!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
+1. Had to turn down Washington St. Louis. I couldn't get it off my mind. But the thing I remember is that (for me, at least) God won't let me turn down the place He wants me to go to. So be confident in the fact that you'll end up at the best place for you, because we can ultimately only sit in one seat!

...unless you put two together, but you get my point!