**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also waiting on one more. And sent an update today for the heck of it. I'm in to my #1, but have family pulling for the last one to come through for better housing options and possible financial package.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Well, I pray you get it! We all have tough decisions to make, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone going to start withdrawing soon?

For some reason I feel a lot of pressure to make my decision as quickly as possible for people waiting, and for my own sanity.

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone going to start withdrawing soon?

For some reason I feel a lot of pressure to make my decision as quickly as possible for people waiting, and for my own sanity.

Going to send one more round of emails to financial aid department of the schools that don't normally give out packages until after traffic day and if they refuse I'm just going to withdraw. I'm not as nice as you though, the thought of helping other applicants getting a chance to fill those spots never crossed my mind. I just assumed that after years of doing this process schools know how much to admit while factoring their normal withdraw rate.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Going to send one more round of emails to financial aid department of the schools that don't normally give out packages until after traffic day and if they refuse I'm just going to withdraw. I'm not as nice as you though, the thought of helping other applicants getting a chance to fill those spots never crossed my mind. I just assumed that after years of doing this process schools know how much to admit while factoring their normal withdraw rate.

Best of luck! I really hope they get back to you. Sounds like pure laziness to not give this information before the deadline.

I'm sure they do have a good handle on the flow to get the right matriculating class. I just hate when a thread pops up and someone is waitlisted or waiting at a school that I'm pretty sure in my heart I wouldn't attend regardless of financial package. I guess I figured if I could narrow down to 2-3 now then I should.

Best of luck! I really hope they get back to you. Sounds like pure laziness to not give this information before the deadline.

I'm sure they do have a good handle on the flow to get the right matriculating class. I just hate when a thread pops up and someone is waitlisted or waiting at a school that I'm pretty sure in my heart I wouldn't attend regardless of financial package. I guess I figured if I could narrow down to 2-3 now then I should.

*__deleted _*
Wrote a long ass post about how cost of attendance is driving me crazy and how I shouldn't be expecting aid because SDN is self selected for exceptional students who naturally would get it over a normal applicant but half way through my post I realized how stupid it sounds, I'm going to be a doc. so I should stop complaining and take it in stride. This too shall pass.

Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations!!
emoji322.png
emoji323.png

Just got accepted to Meharry School of Medicine!
Congrats! Do you mind me asking what were your stats? Mcat? Gpa? Did you take the mcat more than once?

Are we talking about need based scholarships or merit? I know for FAFSA (and a few schools I interviewed at) they said something about using 2015 (?) tax info, but my family financials have changed drastically from then to 2016/17 (we're well below the poverty level atm). I was thinking it wouldn't matter and that I would have to take out loans like everyone else, but do y'all think I should reach out to fin aid?

Are we talking about need based scholarships or merit? I know for FAFSA (and a few schools I interviewed at) they said something about using 2015 (?) tax info, but my family financials have changed drastically from then to 2016/17 (we're well below the poverty level atm). I was thinking it wouldn't matter and that I would have to take out loans like everyone else, but do y'all think I should reach out to fin aid?
You definitely can. I would say call them asap with this developed info if they haven't requested it already.

We were talking about merit.

But to answer about the need based. I have a marriage status change that basically cuts my income and support in half from 2015 and still had to use 2015. I did however reach out to my schools and notified them about the change and some said they will take it into account and some have said it would change following years only.

Got into my state school I was really supprised at this because they rejected me last year. I retook my MCAT and they didn't accept anyone below a 500 last year I got a 499 so really surprised. I was accepted to 3 schools in all.

Reactions: 25 users
Got into my state school I was really supprised at this because they rejected me last year. I retook my MCAT and they didn't accept anyone below a 500 last year I got a 499 so really surprised. I was accepted to 3 schools in all.
Congrats !

Awesome! Congratulations!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Was placed on Hold from my only MD interview invite. Found out weeks ago. Just digging my self out of the depression of it all. Last year only 9% of class were accepted from a "hold" status so I'm not holding my breath Congrats to everyone else.

Was placed on Hold from my only MD interview invite. Found out weeks ago. Just digging my self out of the depression of it all. Last year only 9% of class were accepted from a "hold" status so I'm not holding my breath Congrats to everyone else.
Hey, you could be in that 9%! Please hold on to the hope a while longer. I'm praying for you, and everyone on here is rooting/praying/good vibing/etc. for you too!

Echoing wha OTI said, I am praying for you as well!! Everyone's path is different and so try to remain hopeful despite the minor bumps that you encounter. Tomorrow is a new day, and you never know what is in store. Don't give up hope and just continue to push forward, I and a lot of people in this thread believe in YOU! :)

While I do agree with everyone else(You could be in the 9%!!) But i also suggest to be proactive in improving your app for a possible re-application. We are all rooting for you

Reactions: 5 users
I applied last year and got very negative/down on myself in the process when things weren't going well. If you need someone to talk to please PM me and don't give up hope until you know for certain then use that energy to come back even stronger.

Reactions: 7 users
I applied last year and got very negative/down on myself in the process when things weren't going well. If you need someone to talk to please PM me and don't give up hope until you know for certain then use that energy to come back even stronger.

I second this. I applied multiple times and dealt with some really hard times in the process. I'm here if you need advice.

Keep busy improving yourself. It really does help.

Reactions: 7 users
I received my acceptance letter to the University of Kansas in the mail today! I'm going to medical school!

Reactions: 28 users
So a friend of mine who also is in the cycle told me we should have a party for getting accepted. I was honestly like whyyyy haven't we done this?!

So at the end of the cycle we are planning on having a party with all our other friends in the cycle and friends/family to celebrate everyone's acceptances.

Anyone else doing something like this?

Reactions: 1 users
So a friend of mine who also is in the cycle told me we should have a party for getting accepted. I was honestly like whyyyy haven't we done this?!

So at the end of the cycle we are planning on having a party with all our other friends in the cycle and friends/family to celebrate everyone's acceptances.

I'd love to do something like this. All my friends were the type to go straight through from undergrad though so they're all MS1s and MS2s right now lol I feel old and alone as a pseudo non trad :rolleyes:

Reactions: 5 users
I'd love to do something like this. All my friends were the type to go straight through from undergrad though so they're all MS1s and MS2s right now lol I feel old and alone as a pseudo non trad :rolleyes:

Well I took a gap year, my friend is a current senior. I made a lot of post-bac friends in ugrad because of having a family and all the professors and students assumed I was also a Postbac so would sort of be like, "have you met X? He/she is a Postbac too, you should be friends!" Lol

Not even shocked by OTI's acceptances anymore lmao it's expected at this point.

On another note, a friend of mine has been waitlisted at 10/11 interviews. One decision is pending. Usually I'm so good at rah rah pep talks but I legit don't know what to say. Help a girl out. She's URM too so this is beyond wild and unimaginable to me.

On another note, a friend of mine has been waitlisted at 10/11 interviews. One decision is pending. Usually I'm so good at rah rah pep talks but I legit don't know what to say. Help a girl out. She's URM too so this is beyond wild and unimaginable to me.

Honestly that's probably just poor interview skills where what they see on paper is not matching up.

She has a good shot of getting in off a waitlist which is nice. It wasn't bad enough to warrant post-II rejections, but again probably not impressive.

BEST wway to help is do a mock interview with her over skype. It seems like she/he is bombing those

I feel like all you can do is more of what you have been doing. I think definitely telling her that it is not over until she has heard back from every school is important to point out. Maybe you can advise her to work on update letters to send to schools to show interest (I'm not a fan of letters of intent, but if she was recently published or has done some substantial work during the application cycle that is worthy of an update, it could help). She is definitely excellent on paper if she got 11 interviews. At this point, just lending an ear of support is all you can really do. Again, its not over yet, it just sucks that she has more waiting to do. I wouldn't bring up the prospect of re-applying (unless you have done so already) until she has heard back with a final decision from at least half of the schools she has been waitlisted at.

Not sure if what I said was helpful

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like all you can do is more of what you have been doing. I think definitely telling her that it is not over until she has heard back from every school is important to point out. Maybe you can advise her to work on update letters to send to schools to show interest (I'm not a fan of letters of intent, but if she was recently published or has done some substantial work during the application cycle that is worthy of an update, it could help). She is definitely excellent on paper if she got 11 interviews. At this point, just lending an ear of support is all you can really do. Again, its not over yet, it just sucks that she has more waiting to do. I wouldn't bring up the prospect of re-applying (unless you have done so already) until she has heard back with a final decision from at least half of the schools she has been waitlisted at.

Not sure if what I said was helpful

Any final decision (once on the waitlist) will either be an acceptance or a release of applicants.

If they wait for a release of applicants that would be too late (in my opinion) to begin prepping to reapply. Maybe don't mention it until a particular date? Perhaps late April?

Edit: I suppose you could hear about your positioning though in my multiple attempts I've never had / applied to a school that would tell me where I was.

Any final decision (once on the waitlist) will either be an acceptance or a release of applicants.

If they wait for a release of applicants that would be too late (in my opinion) to begin prepping to reapply. Maybe don't mention it until a particular date? Perhaps late April?

Edit: I suppose you could hear about your positioning though in my multiple attempts I've never had / applied to a school that would tell me where I was.

You're right. I forgot that acceptances off the waitlist can be made anytime between now and the start of school. I guess it would be important to start having that conversation pretty soon (after she hears back from the school she is waiting on).

You all are right, par for the course. It's just weird to say "hey sis it's probably you not them!!" You know? Ugh. I want to support her in the best way I can, so I may go the faux interview route. It's probably the most objective.

You all are right, par for the course. It's just weird to say "hey sis it's probably you not them!!" You know? Ugh. I want to support her in the best way I can, so I may go the faux interview route. It's probably the most objective.

Just curious.. did she not start wondering about her interviewing skills after the first round of waitlists?

Just curious.. did she not start wondering about her interviewing skills after the first round of waitlists?

It was sporadic. 2 at a time I think? She thought at least a few were conversational and positive, so those decisions were a bit of a shell shock :oops:

Hahaha I've been doing this for the last 4 months! Turn down for what?

It was sporadic. 2 at a time I think? She thought at least a few were conversational and positive, so those decisions were a bit of a shell shock :oops:

Do you know if she did mock interviews prior to going on the interviews?

Full-ride scholarship PLUS a $5000 a year stipend at my state school today. This hardly feels real ya'll. I am in disbelief!! Never lose faith.

Reactions: 23 users
Full-ride scholarship PLUS a $5000 a year stipend at my state school today. This hardly feels real ya'll. I am in disbelief!! Never lose faith.
Another one.... This year's cohort of URMs are putting in work.

Co
Congratulations! That's amazing! They're paying your rent!

God is still working! Accepted to Yale just now!!!!

Just as I was thinking I was something special. Goes to show no matter how good you are, there will always be someone better... (as long as you're not @cornernat or @O.T.I.)

CONGRATS GUYS!!!!
:bow::highfive:

That's amazing!! Literally ran off on the plug twice lol

Trying to decide between Wayne State and Howard, what do you guys think?
Wayne State
Pros:
-In state tuition
-Good Reputation
-A lot of research opportunities
Cons:
- very large class size
-students seem to be super competitive with each other
Howard University
Pros:
-Love DC area
-HBCU experience; known for training excellent black doctors
-Opportunities for research in intuitions in DMV area (NIH, JHU, etc)
-Residency placements all over the U.S.
Cons:
-Not sure about reputation
-more expensive
-farther away from family

Hey All,

Im new to SDN and will be applying for the 2017-2018 cycle! Its so good to see all this melanin getting into top schools! Just wanna wish y'all best of luck on the rest of the cycle and if you have literally ANY tips on the application cycle and/or could help me with my school list, please help a brotha out with your knowledge.

Hey All,

Im new to SDN and will be applying for the 2017-2018 cycle! Its so good to see all this melanin getting into top schools! Just wanna wish y'all best of luck on the rest of the cycle and if you have literally ANY tips on the application cycle and/or could help me with my school list, please help a brotha out with your knowledge.
Welcome! Join the URM Facebook page (a few pages back); we have tips there!