**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This thread is too hype *flame emoji*
I'm a Canadian applicant from Toronto and I'm ecstatic to say I'm gonna be attending Case Western Reserve this coming July! Was not expecting to hear back so soon given that my interview was not even two weeks ago, but I'm not gonna complain.
Congrats to everyone else in this thread, and I hope I run into y'all at some point!
Also I love your profile pic and username haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Ughhhhh why am I just now finding this thread?!

Current cycle applicant. Accepted to Meharry, Saint Louis University, and Southern Illinois.

Hey y'all!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the latest URM babehs!!! So much success this cycle

Reactions: 1 user
Y'all need to get out and go see Get Out great movie

Reactions: 3 users
Saw it, it was crazy good, and enjoyed it's message regarding the more modern day type of liberal racism, something you rarely see spoken about in movies

Reactions: 2 users
I want to watch it but feel wierd going to the movies alone :/ *forever alon3*

On a similar note pretty happy Moonlight beat LaLaland for best picture last night

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I want to watch it but feel wierd going to the movies alone :/ *forever alon3*

I watched it alone! I moved to a new, smaller (and very red) city for work last summer, so I've gotten used to doing things alone. It's not bad :)

And I definitely second going when it's not as busy. I went to the first showing on Saturday of the opening weekend.

OMG Get Out was so good. My side eye super strong today at work though lmao imma go ahead and blame the movie.

OMG Get Out was so good. My side eye super strong today at work though lmao imma go ahead and blame the movie.

I watched it last night! Really enjoyed it. Watched Split right before it, that was sooo goood. Highly recommend!

One of the biggest scares pursuing a medical education, was always the finance. I grew up in a family trying to make ends meet, and I was scared that it would always be a worry throughout my education. Today I was offered a Turner fellowship at Stony Brook! Basically a full ride plus stipend money, and I feel like a heavy weight has been lifted. I feel truly blessed.

Reactions: 26 users
One of the biggest scares pursuing a medical education, was always the finance. I grew up in a family trying to make ends meet, and I was scared that it would always be a worry throughout my education. Today I was offered a Turner fellowship at Stony Brook! Basically a full ride plus stipend money, and I feel like a heavy weight has been lifted. I feel truly blessed.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You earned it go you! :)

Vo

Congratulations! You deserve it!

Been a crazy week got an 80k scholarship monday and got into Tufts today. Last school I was waiting to hear from so I'm really glad to be wrapping this thing up soon.

Reactions: 22 users
Got into one of my top 2 schools today (TUFtS)!!!

Reactions: 25 users

Wayyyyyyyy up... I feel blessed

this is amazing ~ congrats !

I think im getting greedy. I want schools to start throwing money at me too HA HA HA but acceptances are more than enough :)

First Interview tomorrow! Wish me luck!

Thank you everyone for the well wishes!! The interview went well! Anxiously waiting for a decision. I am just fortunate to be in this position!

Thanks everyone, really feeling the love y'all! And congrats to everyone, the cycle isn't over yet and we've been going strong, let's finish on a high note. Still waiting to hear back from my top choice :)

Reactions: 4 users
I encourage all of you to contact admissions/dean to negotiate scholarships. If $$$ is a significant drawback from attending, schools will attempt to satisfy your financial needs as much as possible. With some support from @HealthHare (URM MS1), I was able to stay in contact with admissions and they ultimately bumped a cash-amount to full-tuition. Seeing others have success through this thread has significantly changed the outlook of my future.

God bless.

Reactions: 8 users
I encourage all of you to contact admissions/dean to negotiate scholarships. If $$$ is a significant drawback from attending, schools will attempt to satisfy your financial needs as much as possible. With some support from @HealthHare (URM MS1), I was able to stay in contact with admissions and they ultimately bumped a cash-amount to full-tuition. Seeing others have success through this thread has significantly changed the outlook of my future.

God bless.

Thanks for the advice! I currently have a half-tuition offer but I wanna wait till I get official financial aid offers (in March/April) before possibly negotiating. Would you recommend contacting admissions even before receiving a financial aid package? Pretty awesome that you got a full-ride!

Two acceptances this week!!!! I can't believe I get to pick where I attend school!!

Reactions: 17 users

God bless.

My question is do you do this before you get your financial aid package or after? I'm still filling out the docs for some schools but have merit scholarships on the table at others. Do I ask now, or after they've received the financial information?

In response to Marcero12 and WhittyPsyche,

I believe my approach would only be effective after your financial aid documents have been submitted.

In my particular case, I submitted all my paperwork and I received a preliminary offer within the week. It gave me a baseline to work with before attempting to negotiate. Although, I'm sure it would be positively noted if you made admissions aware of your financial needs ahead of an initial offer.

As I've told others by PM, I can't assure that any of the schools will oblige in increasing scholarships but any leverage you have (multiple acceptances, $$$ offers) helps. You have nothing to lose by asking.

FYI - I've had a professional occupation over the last 2 years and the process for negotiating salary raises works similarly.

Others in the thread might have more advice to add based on that note ;)

FYI - I've had a professional occupation over the last 2 years and the process for negotiating salary raises works similarly.

Others in the thread might have more advice to add based on that note ;)

In my position, negotiating a raise has more to do with performance and value, not what someone else can offer lol. So unfortunately, my work experience offers no help in this situation lol

Rejected from Harvard today.. not salty though....this has been an amazing ride and I am so grateful!

Reactions: 13 users

God bless.
What if the school refuses to give financial information until after you have to commit to them. Then you have no barging tool to ask for more money

What if the school refuses to give financial information until after you have to commit to them. Then you have no barging tool to ask for more money
Schools can do that? I thought April 30 was the deadline to commit to a school. What do they mean by "commit"?

Rejected from Harvard today.. not salty though....this has been an amazing ride and I am so grateful!

Same here! I'm so happy to have the choices I do. I'm really surprised it didn't sting at all.

Are you done? Have you decided where you're going?

In my position, negotiating a raise has more to do with performance and value, not what someone else can offer lol. So unfortunately, my work experience offers no help in this situation lol

You're absolutely right but there's no doubt having multiple offers creates "value" in terms of your commitment. From my understanding, the financial aid office communicates with admissions frequently to ensure applicants have sufficient $ to secure class seats. Your performance has already been coveted by the fact that you received an acceptance. Since we are URM and/or socioeconomically disadvantaged, it's in my opinion that schools will create pathways to ensure success among it's most vulnerable students.

@Chelsea FC: In your case, I would state your financial situation with admissions since it's detrimental to your commitment. Sincerity and politeness goes a long way. If for any reason they can't provide an offer, I believe you can ask for an extension on the April 30th deadline. I'm not 100% sure so I would consult with the admissions at the schools directly.

Waiti
Same here! I'm so happy to have the choices I do. I'm really surprised it didn't sting at all.

Are you done? Have you decided where you're going?

Waiting on one more and then I'll be done. Haven't officially decided on where I'm going yet, but I starting to gravitate toward the top few.

Schools can do that? I thought April 30 was the deadline to commit to a school. What do they mean by "commit"?
April 30th is the final date to have multiple acceptances but schools aren't obligated to give you any financial info to aid in your decision making

Waiti

Waiting on one more and then I'll be done. Haven't officially decided on where I'm going yet, but I starting to gravitate toward the top few.

Also waiting on one more. And sent an update today for the heck of it. I'm in to my #1, but have family pulling for the last one to come through for better housing options and possible financial package.

She's going to Mayo

But Hopkins... I don't know. My blood isn't made for harsh winters. That alone is worth the tuition. Half the time we don't even get snow during winters in Maryland.