**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Full-ride scholarship PLUS a $5000 a year stipend at my state school today. This hardly feels real ya'll. I am in disbelief!! Never lose faith.
You just made me smile, congrats you totally deserved that!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to decide between Wayne State and Howard, what do you guys think?
Wayne State
Pros:
-In state tuition
-Good Reputation
-A lot of research opportunities
Cons:
- very large class size
-students seem to be super competitive with each other
Howard University
Pros:
-Love DC area
-HBCU experience; known for training excellent black doctors
-Opportunities for research in intuitions in DMV area (NIH, JHU, etc)
-Residency placements all over the U.S.
Cons:
-Not sure about reputation
-more expensive
-farther away from family
What's the price difference? Which school you vibing with more?

Just as I was thinking I was something special. Goes to show no matter how good you are, there will always be someone better... (as long as you're not @cornernat or @O.T.I.)

CONGRATS GUYS!!!!
:bow::highfive:
You are special... you have an SDN account and no one can ever take that away from you

Reactions: 5 users
Waitlisted to my top choice *sigh* I'm really freakin tired of being waitlisted.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for the support guys, all I can do is hope. I do want to send a letter of intent, but I'm not sure when would be the appropriate time to send it.

Hey all, what does everyone think about me changing the FB group name by dropping the 2016-2017 applicants part so that all SDN URM's can feel like they can join?

Or if you all want the group just to be for this current cycle applicants I get that as well!

Please let me know how you all are feeling about my proposal:)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all, what does everyone think about me changing the FB group name by dropping the 2016-2017 applicants part so that all SDN URM's can feel like they can join?

Or if you all want the group just to be for this current cycle applicants I get that as well!

I like that idea!

I was just thinking about this... this thread has been about support and helping people achieve their goals. That extends to everyone not just the boss ass bitches of the 2021 class

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I finally checked out the FB page, and you do provide some great tips.
The FB page has been poppin the last couple of days. If we actually had the means to make an acceptance party happen we'd need to rent out a whole club...let's take it from OTI's scholarships that should cover some bottles too

Reactions: 8 users
Do I have to send a message with my SDN handle to join? Is there a secret knock or something?

What do I put in to search for the group page since the link isn't working for me?

Sent from my iPhone

Do I have to send a message with my SDN handle to join? Is there a secret knock or something?

What do I put in to search for the group page since the link isn't working for me?

Sent from my iPhone

Search "minorities in Medicine: 2016-2017 URM applicants" & it should come up. No secret message involved lolol

Reactions: 2 users
Search "minorities in Medicine: 2016-2017 URM applicants" & it should come up. No secret message involved lolol

Thanks. I just joined.

Sent from my iPhone

I said when my cycle is over. Guess it's time. Knock knock

Reactions: 3 users
Well, gotdamn. We're an attractive bunch. You're welcome, class of 2021 :laugh:

So I've given up any thought of anonymity. But looking forward, I don't mind because I think I will do some Q&A like the older classes in pre-allo did with the Fireside chats from different campuses.

Maybe we can have a thread dedicated to something like that.

Reactions: 3 users
*scrolls through Facebook group*

Y'all are fine.

Totally agree!

It's so good to put a face with a name!

Also, am I the only one wondering when the first troll will join? They always do. I see them seething in this forum from time to time.
It's a "private" group so I doubt that trolls will get to stay. Plus I may be speaking for myself but I feel like there's too much positivity in our universe to let some people cloud that with some hate

Reactions: 7 users
Totally agree!

It's so good to put a face with a name!

Also, am I the only one wondering when the first troll will join? They always do. I see them seething in this forum from time to time.

It's a "private" group so I doubt that trolls will get to stay. Plus I may be speaking for myself but I feel like there's too much positivity in our universe to let some people cloud that with some hate

Agree with Kgizzle! We have 3 moderators, of which I am one, and we won't be tolerating any flame wars or antagonistic posting!

ok real talk though after seeing everyone going to like Yale and UCSF should I stick to DO or mix in some MD. Please have mercy on my soul with these stats lol

cgpa 2.95 sgpa 3.1 gGPA(MPH) tbd ~ 3.7 for the academic year after this semester
507 mcat
4 upper div science courses in MPH 3.5
500+shadowing( MD+DO)
Tutor, TA, undergrad mentor
3 first author papers, 7 abstracts, 3 conference presentations
100+ patient contact not shadowing
coordinator for church food pantry( underserved pop) 4+ years
theres more but I'm too lazy....
Advice??

What's the price difference? Which school you vibing with more?
The price difference in tuition is about $15,000, but the cost of living in DC is considerably higher than in Detroit; but I felt like I vibed with Howard a bit more

ok real talk though after seeing everyone going to like Yale and UCSF should I stick to DO or mix in some MD. Please have mercy on my soul with these stats lol

cgpa 2.95 sgpa 3.1 gGPA(MPH) tbd ~ 3.7 for the academic year after this semester
507 mcat
500+shadowing( MD+DO)
Advice??

Great ECs, especially your research experience. I would say that my greatest strengths were "the road travelled" and my research experiences. Big talking point at every interview. So my perception is that research and publications can add significantly to your desirability.

I would most definitely apply to MD schools, which schools will likely have to wait until we have a clearer view of your gpa, as well as the soft qualities such as your career goals and how you fit the mission of the schools in question.

507 mcat
500+shadowing( MD+DO)
Advice??

I would reverse that. I think you should apply MD (broadly), and then mix in a couple of DO schools. You have awesome ECs and your research experience is top notch. Focus on your personal statement and your essays, you should be fine!

I would reverse that. I think you should apply MD (broadly), and then mix in a couple of DO schools. You have awesome ECs and your research experience is top notch. Focus on your personal statement and your essays, you should be fine!

Thanks a lot! Im just afraid of the super low gpas tbh. any suggestions on schools? Was going to send everything in by end of June.

Great ECs, especially your research experience. I would say that my greatest strengths were "the road travelled" and my research experiences. Big talking point at every interview. So my perception is that research and publications can add significantly to your desirability.
I would most definitely apply to MD schools, which schools will likely have to wait until we have a clearer view of your gpa, as well as the soft qualities such as your career goals and how you fit the mission of the schools in question.

Cool cool, thanks! Should I stress research and community involvement in my PS ?

Thanks a lot! Im just afraid of the super low gpas tbh. any suggestions on schools? Was going to send everything in by end of June.

Cool cool, thanks! Should I stress research and community involvement in my PS ?

If you haven't done heavy involvement in things besides tutoring and church I would stress more about your research interests. That's just my opinion. I think you can't throw a rock without hitting a premed that is a tutor or volunteers at church. So what is your story? From what you put here, I could see focusing on your research and academic pursuits, including public health (you got the MPH for something right?) as your storyline.

You may have other, more personal, storylines that you may or may not choose to discuss here that could make for amazing PS and essays. But you would know the answer to that better than any of us.

The price difference in tuition is about $15,000, but the cost of living in DC is considerably higher than in Detroit; but I felt like I vibed with Howard a bit more

So more to attend Howard and to live there? I'd go for less money, personally, and the vibe of the students can vary quite a bit by year. It is likely going to be what you make it with a few exceptions.

Last edited:

MSAR helped a lot for making my list of schools to apply to. Regarding your GPA, in order to make your list you should look at the individual requirements for every school. Some schools have a 3.0 requirement for example. Also, you can contact admissions if you are unsure about their requirements or to see if your gGPA helps your case.

So many Naija omoges in the Facebook group, how man supposed to know which one to toast?

Last edited:
So many Naija omoges in the Facebook group, how man supposed to know which one to toast?

Abeg stop toasting us and Face your Book, ma friend...

:laugh::laugh:

Warri kid checking in here! I wish I knew more Nigerians in real life. All my family lives back in Nigeria and there are very few Nigerians in the city and school where I live :/

Warri kid checking in here! I wish I knew more Nigerians in real life. All my family lives back in Nigeria and there are very few Nigerians in the city and school where I live :/

There are barely any Nigerians where I live now but I am driving distance from a city with plenty of Nigerians. Naija parties and naija food plenty in some cities. Network online and make friends in the DMV, Houston, or NYC.

There are barely any Nigerians where I live now but I am driving distance from a city with plenty of Nigerians. Naija parties and naija food plenty in some cities. Network online and make friends in the DMV, Houston, or NYC.
To add, be careful though...sometimes bad company corrupts good character. Find SANE, serious people to hang out with (online and in real life). Trust me, you want to get the best of Nigerians around you.

To add, be careful though...sometimes bad company corrupts good character. Find SANE, serious people to hang out with (online and in real life). Trust me, you want to get the best of Nigerians around you.

Good point. 419 and yahoozee boys are real but there are also plenty of awesome Nigerians all over the country, especially in medicine.