2016 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
See my reply above to your concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
The thing is, it's not a post-bacc. It's my actual medical school where, to attend, I'd have to pack up my whole life (as a single women) and move... and then potentially stay in the area through residency because region and school-newness and old-student stigma could be factors for residency program directors.

I really liked and got along fine with my young cohort at the school where I did my post bacc (we were all in the same classes together.) But my real friends still ended up being people outside of class, in my age group. This could also be a NYC thing. People here are really... Intense. And so am I. If you're living here and still single at 33, you've probably seen some shizz, as Alice said to Dorothy.

Not that people haven't lived hard elsewhere, but there is a critical mass here in NYC.

I think I'm just going to have to follow my heart and get creative about repayment, like I've always done. Which is more fun anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I'm just going to have to follow my heart and get creative about repayment, like I've always done. Which is more fun anyway.
Yes! I second this wholeheartedly. You only get to do medical school once. Your happiness should be a major consideration. Obviously, everyone has to decide what their personal "dealbreakers" are but mandatory attendance at a school in a random suburban location would probably be a dealbreaker for me. It's funny, I went into this process so hell-bent on going to school on the other side of the country. In the end, I'll be staying exactly where I am and I honestly couldn't be happier. As exciting as it would be to go somewhere new, I'm starting to think that having my friends (who are my age) and loved ones nearby is going to be crucial for my sanity. I think it's totally reasonable to take the nontrad factor into consideration.

Freaking out about money over here, too. Especially since I've only been accepted to one school so far and it's of the not so cheap variety. Still waiting on my financial aid package but definitely applying for NHSC!

The thing is, it's not a post-bacc. It's my actual medical school where, to attend, I'd have to pack up my whole life (as a single women) and move... and then potentially stay in the area through residency because region and school-newness and old-student stigma could be factors for residency program directors.

I really liked and got along fine with my young cohort at the school where I did my post bacc (we were all in the same classes together.) But my real friends still ended up being people outside of class, in my age group. This could also be a NYC thing. People here are really... Intense. And so am I. If you're living here and still single at 33, you've probably seen some shizz, as Alice said to Dorothy.

Not that people haven't lived hard elsewhere, but there is a critical mass here in NYC.

Pick the school that is a good fit for you. I don't think the issue is so much the age of the students, I think the biggest issue to you right now is moving from NYC to suburbs somewhere in the country (in California?) with nothing to do. I moved from a European capital to the suburbs of Seattle 5 years ago and it was a very different experience.... I got used to it in the end and so would you (most likely) but since we'll all be earning a decent amount of money in 10 years I don't see the point of forcing yourself to go live in the suburbs to avoid student debt.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Guys can we have a non-trad talk about money? How are you all thinking about this? Have we talked about this before?

I am currently visiting the school that offered me full tuition. I don't think I can matriculate here.

The school is in the middle of suburban-nothing-much for miles around. The students vehemently told me "all we have is each other here, there is nothing to do." Even the hospital is half an hour away on the freeway. Attendance is mandatory and the students report staying at the school studying from 5am to 8pm, so I would have trouble even taking time to volunteer. They're nice kids (many still live at home), and it's a beautiful school, but as a non trad I now realize how important it has been to be able to leave my post-bacc and go hang out with people my age. I can't do this. I would spend the two years of pre-clinicals feeling completely alone.

So, I'm back thinking about money. Paying back loans into my 50s doesn't sound wonderful on paper, but you get used to thinking of age differently as a non-trad. Anyone here applying NHSC? I'm scared of that a little bit but it does appeal. How are you guys thinking about this issue?

You already know the dirty details of my first world problems concerning this, but. I'm also having fit vs money (and to a lesser extent vs prestige) dilemma, and after a lot of soul-searching I'm about 70% sure at this point that I'm going to pay extra money to be at a place where the fit is on point (though interestingly not the school that was my first choice going in -- I do have to balance the exorbitant cost of that one, which'll likely be too high to justify imo...we'll see). Yes, it'll be a few more years paying it off. But it'll also mean I have access to certain opportunities I went into this knowing I wanted, in a geographic area that has things that make me happy, with a student body I felt a particular vibe from, and all that's important to me.

NHSC...I'm not signing up immediately. While I have some interest in primary care, I also have other interests and I don't feel like I could lock myself down this early. Some people know they're going to do primary care and I envy their certainty. NHSC has a 50,000 loan repayment that you can sign up for once you're licensed, which is what I may do if I get through school and decide I do want to go into primary care. I've also been told by many doctors I work with that once you're out of residency, if you're in demand and flexible enough to go where you're being serenaded, then there's often quite a bit that can be negotiated with your workplace re part of loan paid off, etc.

I've also been told by many doctors I work with that once you're out of residency, if you're in demand and flexible enough to go where you're being serenaded, then there's often quite a bit that can be negotiated with your workplace re part of loan paid off, etc.

I think this is a great point. I've heard about this for a number of people. Not a guarantee by any stretch, but a possibility.

Reactions: 1 users
Guys can we have a non-trad talk about money? How are you all thinking about this? Have we talked about this before?

I am currently visiting the school that offered me full tuition. I don't think I can matriculate here.

The school is in the middle of suburban-nothing-much for miles around. The students vehemently told me "all we have is each other here, there is nothing to do." Even the hospital is half an hour away on the freeway. Attendance is mandatory and the students report staying at the school studying from 5am to 8pm, so I would have trouble even taking time to volunteer. They're nice kids (many still live at home), and it's a beautiful school, but as a non trad I now realize how important it has been to be able to leave my post-bacc and go hang out with people my age. I can't do this. I would spend the two years of pre-clinicals feeling completely alone.

So, I'm back thinking about money. Paying back loans into my 50s doesn't sound wonderful on paper, but you get used to thinking of age differently as a non-trad. Anyone here applying NHSC? I'm scared of that a little bit but it does appeal. How are you guys thinking about this issue?

I've been spending so much of my time thinking about money as well. I have a lot of debt from undergrad + post-bacc (also I'm married and my wife has a lot of debt from undergrad + grad school too).. a big part of me has been like "just go with your cheapest option". Especially because I might not go into one of the high paying specialties. That said, I also think it's important to go to the school where one thinks they will be happiest. I want to be able to stay happy through med school, even though I know it will be extremely challenging. I've met way too many med students who are burned out and unhappy and I don't want to end up like that.. I do want to prioritize happiness and not be so focused on financial concerns.

Just updated my LinkedIn title to "Medical Student" yaaaayyyyyyy
Kind of early but oh well.

Reactions: 6 users
Finally got my last transcript out from UC Berkeley Extension for my biochem prereq. I was worried going in because of all the negative feedback laying around, but it turned out pretty well!

Finally got my last transcript out from UC Berkeley Extension for my biochem prereq. I was worried going in because of all the negative feedback laying around, but it turned out pretty well!

Awesome!

Ahhhhh. That reminds me...haha.

Last edited:
Nice! I have debated starting one of those - think it is necessary for a medical student?

When you get endless headhunter spam from your old field, you can kick back and feel even happier that you left :D

Nice! I have debated starting one of those - think it is necessary for a medical student?
I think it's going to be completely useless for the first 3 years of med school, but it doesn't take very long to get it set up if you just use your AMCAS app. You have all the relevant dates and positions on there. It should be quick, and then you can let it sit around and periodically update it with med school stuff.

After days of deliberating all the pros and cons of each place with my fiancee ( yes I got engaged :)), I decided to stay home and attend my state school. I talked to a lot of doctors and other med students and everybody had different opinions and perceptions. A lot of people told me not to undertake my personal happiness ( which for me is to stay close to the ocean, since I like to surf , swim and hang out on the beach a lot) and the not to worry too mucxh about the financial situation (easily said than done when you are a broke a.. guy like me ) . Despite the fact, that I think that my state school may not be the "bestest" fit for me, the other variables ( in state tuition, location location location , support system, not having to spend money moving) trumped this only factor. Therefore, I am moving to a very small cottage one block away from the beach . I have been living in my current house for 9 years and I always had 2 roommates, so it will be sort of a big change for me. Also, I believe that the med school that you go does not weigh as as much as your step 1 score and the LOR . Anyway, good luck everyone in your decision making, and never forget that there is not a "bad" decision when choosing a med school ;).

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
After days of deliberating all the pros and cons of each place with my fiancee ( yes I got engaged :)), I decided to stay home and attend my state school. I talked to a lot of doctors and other med students and everybody had different opinions and perceptions. A lot of people told me not to undertake my personal happiness ( which for me is to stay close to the ocean, since I like to surf , swim and hang out on the beach a lot) and the not to worry too mucxh about the financial situation (easily said than done when you are a broke a.. guy like me ) . Despite the fact, that I think that my state school may not be the "bestest" fit for me, the other variables ( in state tuition, location location location , support system, not having to spend money moving) trumped this only factor. Therefore, I am moving to a very small cottage one block away from the beach . I have been living in my current house for 9 years and I always had 2 roommates, so it will be sort of a big change for me. Also, I believe that the med school that you go does not weigh as as much as your step 1 score and the LOR . Anyway, good luck everyone in your decision making, and never forget that there is not a "bad" decision when choosing a med school ;).

Engaged! :D:D:D:D:D

Yaaaay glad you got it all figured out!

(Also ummmmmmmmmmm...cottage on the beach? Party at B-Wildered's house y'all)

Yaaaay congratulations, marriage is fun :D
And congratulations on making your school decision, the app cycle is officially over for you!

Congrats! So happy for you.

First midterm of the quarter done - medical virology (Microbio) - we covered pretty in depth immunology in 2 lecture (talk about drinking thru a firehose). Think it went pretty well

Now it's time to get back to work on PS between classes. grumble grumble grumble

Reactions: 4 users
Finishing up my very last prereq... Only 2 weeks left in the semester. :dead: This has officially been the longest semester of my life.

Reactions: 3 users
Finishing up my very last prereq... Only 2 weeks left in the semester. :dead: This has officially been the longest semester of my life.

Agreed. I'm taking a statistics class that is required by *one* school that I am on a waitlist for and it has eaten up so much more of my time than I hoped. In other news, I have learned that PhD dissertations take a lot longer to write than expected - or maybe I just have dgaf writer's block. I feel unusually whiny :hungover:. A vacation would be nice about now!

A vacation would be nice about now!
I feel you! I'm taking Biostats. It actually hasn't been too bad (up until last week when we started linear regression... :confused:). But my brain is definitely in "I'm-already-accepted-to-medical-school-I-just-want-to-drink-beer-and-play-outside" mode.

Agreed. I'm taking a statistics class that is required by *one* school that I am on a waitlist for and it has eaten up so much more of my time than I hoped. In other news, I have learned that PhD dissertations take a lot longer to write than expected - or maybe I just have dgaf writer's block. I feel unusually whiny :hungover:. A vacation would be nice about now!

Vacation yaaaas. I'm probably not going to get one, as I need to work as long as possible before moving. My bank account is looking at me like I've lost my mind.

I feel you! I'm taking Biostats. It actually hasn't been too bad (up until last week when we started linear regression... :confused:). But my brain is definitely in "I'm-already-accepted-to-medical-school-I-just-want-to-drink-beer-and-play-outside" mode.

Blech. None of my classes (Calc, Ethics, Advanced Metabolism) are med school pre-reqs, they're just required in my major here. So the dgaf is so, so strong right now.

kidding.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users
PAs need 1000 hours of patient time before matriculation!

Officially deferred my acceptance until next year for UCF. Hopefully things work out for it then. Best of luck to everyone where you're all headed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 9 users
So I did poorly on (yet another) calculus quiz. The class is five days a week and zooms so darn fast through material that I often just don't have the time to get comfortable with a concept before the prof's already halfway through the next chapter. When he handed back this awful quiz he asked me, "Aren't you the one going to medical school?" When I said yes, he asked me what was going on with me in this class, and I was honest about having trouble with the speed of the material.

To which he said: "Well, medical school is five times this material at ten times the speed...how are you going to survive that, then?"

(brb lamenting the death of my self-confidence)

So I did poorly on (yet another) calculus quiz. The class is five days a week and zooms so darn fast through material that I often just don't have the time to get comfortable with a concept before the prof's already halfway through the next chapter. When he handed back this awful quiz he asked me, "Aren't you the one going to medical school?" When I said yes, he asked me what was going on with me in this class, and I was honest about having trouble with the speed of the material.

To which he said: "Well, medical school is five times this material at ten times the speed...how are you going to survive that, then?"

"Thanks prof!"

Wow gee. Ooooof.

I know. I mean, he's right. But now there's this splinter in my mind wondering if he's so right that I've made a horrible mistake. Argh panic.
Ouch. Not cool, Professor! Medical school is going to be a huge adjustment for all of us! But at least once school starts, we'll be able to focus on that and that alone. Also, I'm sure I'd be struggling with a fast-paced Calc course, too!

uht2-application.jpg

I know. I mean, he's right. But now there's this splinter in my mind wondering if he's so right that I've made a horrible mistake. Argh panic.
You got into a lot of schools so I'm guessing you did great in all your other classes. Don't let a sad human change the opinion you have of yourself and what you can or can't handle. I took calculus 5 years ago and guess how many times I've used it since... Med school material will be much less abstract than calculus.

I have 2 degrees in engineering and have taken 6 calcs.
and I STILL struggle with it as a subject, regardless of how slow the material is taught.

Don't feel bad. That professor was probably just hungry.

for a knuckle sandwich

Packing up to head South for Second Look! We fly out in the morning. More important than me being excited, my wife is super excited - and she has three (maybe four!) informational interviews. Here's to networking and the job hunt in a brand new city!

Reactions: 6 users
Packing up to head South for Second Look! We fly out in the morning. More important than me being excited, my wife is super excited - and she has three (maybe four!) informational interviews. Here's to networking and the job hunt in a brand new city!
Yay have fun in Miami! One of my friends will be matriculating there but isn't going to second look. Good luck to your wife on interviews :)

If you have time, go to the Miami River Cafe (aka Miami River Mexican Cuisine) just inside Little Havana. Its about a 20 minute walk from downtown or the medical campus. I was in Miami mid-March with my partner and we went there for lunch. Just to let you know, there are three locations, and each one has a "1 dollar taco" lunch special during the week. Amazing Mexican food and no Brickell prices!

I should really be more consistent about posting here, I read through the last couple of pages and was reminded of how great your all are. I wish you guys could be my classmates!

Got waitlisted at what I'm pretty sure is my first choice now (amazing program, nice weather, obscenely expensive city). I'm bummed but I read there's a lot of movement in April because they are public and reserve their aid for needy students, so some students opt for private schools. I'm almost done writing a letter of intent but then worry that I'll get accepted and not get any aid... which their financial aid office said won't happen, but still.

This is especially after receiving my first financial aid package today (finally!) for an NYC school and they're offerinf a 30k a year scholarship! I'll still need to take out loans but it's not a bad offer by any means. And I might get the same, if not slightly more at another great program but the school is unfortunately kind of isolated (college town). And both NYC and this NE town are cold, boooooo.

My partner is freaking out about this whole process; he's taking classes in the hopes of going to grad school but doesn't really have a career, so a place with support (friends) and opportunites for growth are essential for both of us, so that would rule out my first choice.

What to do....

Well, all my FA is in. I have two schools that offered a stunning amount of aid but which just weren't really my best fit, and two which my gut tells me were absolutely right for me but would leave me in a significantly higher amount of debt.

So now I'm sitting here trying to make sense of this. I have some people telling me to go with my gut (even an admin at one of the better aid schools told me this), and some telling me it'd be crazy to turn down offers that could have me out of debt even before the end of residency. This is a bit of a jam.

I've written to the two more expensive schools and explained the situation hoping something might happen. But if it doesn't I've got to figure out how to make this choice, and soon. Bah.

Last edited:
I've written to the two more expensive schools and explained the situation hoping something might happen. But if it doesn't I've got to figure out how to make this choice, and soon. Bah.

If you get to Apr 30 and still can't make a decision then you could always try the coin-flip approach: assign a school to each side of a coin, flip it, and then see what comes up. If your initial, momentary reaction when you see the result is disappointment, then do the other thing.

Reactions: 4 users
First time checking in here :D

Well, all my FA is in. I have two schools that offered a stunning amount of aid but which just weren't really my best fit, and two which my gut tells me were absolutely right for me but would leave me in a significantly higher amount of debt.

So now I'm sitting here trying to make sense of this. I have some people telling me to go with my gut (even an admin at one of the better aid schools told me this), and some telling me it'd be crazy to turn down offers that could have me out of debt even before the end of residency. This is a bit of a jam.

Just read your MDApps, crossing my fingers you don't choose Miller so my chances to get off alternate go up ever so slightly :). On the real though, sounds like you have some amazing opportunities ahead of you, so best of luck on the decision!

Nice! I am 99% committed to a school which I loved and offered me generous aid.

Withdrew from the rest and only holding one more spot with a crazy COA, just in case they decide to offer me money in the final hours.

First time checking in here :D

Just read your MDApps, crossing my fingers you don't choose Miller so my chances to get off alternate go up ever so slightly :). On the real though, sounds like you have some amazing opportunities ahead of you, so best of luck on the decision!

Haha :) I sat on Miller's alternate list from October to March so don't give up!

Opinions on who to ask for feedback about my LORs?
Also, did anyone use a writing service to help with their PS?

Opinions on who to ask for feedback about my LORs?
Also, did anyone use a writing service to help with their PS?

What do you mean, feedback about your LORs?

I personally didn't think a writing service was worth it but YMMV. For me the absolute best resource was a former student adcom ( now resident) that I know, then the PS readers here on SDN.

I also interviewed end of october so hoping they shower the same nontrad love on me :angelic:

Got my fingers crossed for you! :)

I just want to make sure that my LORs were like okay because I'll be re-applying and I've heard that one bad letter can doom you.
Is that thinking like a crazyperson?

What do you mean, feedback about your LORs?

I personally didn't think a writing service was worth it but YMMV. For me the absolute best resource was a former student adcom ( now resident) that I know, then the PS readers here on SDN.

I just want to make sure that my LORs were like okay because I'll be re-applying and I've heard that one bad letter can doom you.

How would any of us be able to give feedback on your LORs? Do you mean that you have access to read them all?

For your other question in the other post: I didn't use a PS writing service. If you are using one for grammar/spelling errors then you can likely find someone who can do that for free. If you want to use a service to come up with the overall theme/approach to the PS then I'm not sure that's a great idea. Besides the ethical implications of having someone write it for you, you could never be sure that they aren't using a template that they have used 50 times before. I would imagine that the schools would be running those PSs through a plagiarism checker to see if they have been used before.

My advice for the PS would be to really dig deep to find your personal reasons for doing this. Be honest about your motivations. I was bluntly honest in mine and several interviewers told me that they found mine refreshing to read after many superficial 'I just wanna help people' PSs. This tells me that the PS really is an opportunity to let them get to know you, and not an exercise in telling them what you think they want to hear.

thats a huge absolutely not from me on having anyone else write mine. I would never ever sign my name to something that wasn't written by me personally

but I was thinking in terms of making sure my messaging was on point.

How would any of us be able to give feedback on your LORs? Do you mean that you have access to read them all?

For your other question in the other post: I didn't use a PS writing service. If you are using one for grammar/spelling errors then you can likely find someone who can do that for free. If you want to use a service to come up with the overall theme/approach to the PS then I'm not sure that's a great idea. Besides the ethical implications of having someone write it for you, you could never be sure that they aren't using a template that they have used 50 times before. I would imagine that the schools would be running those PSs through a plagiarism checker to see if they have been used before.

My advice for the PS would be to really dig deep to find your personal reasons for doing this. Be honest about your motivations. I was bluntly honest in mine and several interviewers told me that they found mine refreshing to read after many superficial 'I just wanna help people' PSs. This tells me that the PS really is an opportunity to let them get to know you, and not an exercise in telling them what you think they want to hear.

Don't panic! That's one of the worst things you can do. Think about it differently--truth be told, there isn't anyway that we as a people are supposed to be surviving today much less thriving and in the positions that we are in to enter medical school. The fact that you are here, alive, nontraditional, and still fending off several offers from medical schools (and even if you weren't) is more than enough and is a testament to who you are. If you're a deeper learner and like to know things more thoroughly than just fact and regurgitation, find schools that have a true pass-fail curriculum so that you can truly learn things thoroughly and at the speed that you would like. Also check out the way that schools set up their curriculum. More importantly with classes, talk and see how many of the people matriculate with their given class---you don't want to end up with schools with professors like your calculus guy. With that being said----ain't no way we're supposed to be a surviving people---and dang lady, black, woman, previous career, doing the thing ---it doesn't matter where you go, you will rock the crap out of it. The students who often take the most time in 1st to 2nd year classes (which admittedly are fast and uncomfortable no matter where you go), are the ones who stand out not only in clinics and clerk-ships but as actual physicians. But don't let that worry from a professor even begin to set doubts in your mind; that's what kills your mind and set-up much faster than the anything else. You got this! You are more than worthy of your position there and you will show that in so many ways that can't be measured throughout medical school, with patients, and with classmates. Rock on! Year 1 and 2 are psychological warfare in a sense, so go in with peace of mind that you are where you are supposed to be and at the time that you are supposed to be there--then it becomes less anxiety-inducing, and you'll be able to keep doing the things that have made you an extraordinary individual already. And if you ever need electronic resources for medical school, a place to vent, etc., you're welcome to hit me up any time.

Last edited:
OH MY GOD our neighbors cut up the trees on OUR PROPERTY and now we have zero privacy in the master bedroom. We are selling in a month. Now we can see into their living room and guest bedroom, not to mention their entire deck, from our master bedroom. We are selling in a month. Does anybody know of a way to make hedges grow back 4 feet into the air in under a month? The hedge in question is laurel. My husband freaked out and went to the neighbors to threaten to file a police report. In this market we're probably going to be able to sell regardless of the lack of privacy, but this morning we woke up in a 100% private bedroom and tonight it's a very NOT private bedroom... Eeeeeeekkkkkkk whyyyyyy :'(