2017-2018 AOA DO Osteopathic ENT Otolaryngology Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Preston Garvey

Blasted ENT resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Noticed there wasn't a thread for this year so I figured I would start one. If others could chime in and add dates that would be great! I've received 2 interviews so far.

CORE/Doctors Hospital Program
CORE/Grandview Hosp & Med Ctr Program
CORE/Summa Western Reserve Hospital Program
KCU-GMEC/Freeman Hospitals and Health System Program
LECOMT/St. Elizabeth Boardman Hospital Program
LECOMT/UPMC Hamot Program (11/29)
NYCOMEC/St Barnabas Medical Center Program
OMECO/Oklahoma State University Medical Center Program
Philadelphia College Osteopathic Med Program (11/17)
SCS/MSUCOM/Botsford Hospital Program
SCS/MSUCOM/Huron Valley Hosp Program (DMC)
SCS/MSUCOM/McLaren Oakland Program (pontiac)
SCS/MSUCOM/St John Providence Health System-Osteo Div Program

Members don't see this ad.

Noticed there wasn't a thread for this year so I figured I would start one. If others could chime in and add dates that would be great! I've received 2 interviews so far.

CORE/Doctors Hospital Program
CORE/Summa Western Reserve Hospital Program

What kind of numbers do you need for osteo ENT?

What kind of numbers do you need for osteo ENT?

I think the traditional notion of 600+ still holds pretty true; although I've heard of 700+ becoming commonplace. No doubt the competition for these spots has gone up since the 2014 gme match report came out but by how much is anyones guess. In osteopathic ENT programs a lot of the match comes downs to how good you get along with the residents and attending.

Members don't see this ad :)

CORE/Doctors Hospital Program 11/18
CORE/Summa Western Reserve Hospital Program 11/10

Added Doctors and Western Reserve.

I think the traditional notion of 600+ still holds pretty true; although I've heard of 700+ becoming commonplace. No doubt the competition for these spots has gone up since the 2014 gme match report came out but by how much is anyones guess. In osteopathic ENT programs a lot of the match comes downs to how good you get along with the residents and attending.

How many points does being the leader of the minutemen add to your comlex?

Reactions: 1 user
Based on what I've heard from other students the following places have sent out interviews. If anybody could fill them in that would be great!

CORE/Doctors Hospital Program (11/18)
CORE/Grandview Hosp & Med Ctr Program Interviews sent
CORE/Summa Western Reserve Hospital Program (11/10)
KCU-GMEC/Freeman Hospitals and Health System Program Audition is the interview
LECOMT/St. Elizabeth Boardman Hospital Program Interviews sent
NYCOMEC/St Barnabas Medical Center Program Interviews sent
OMECO/Oklahoma State University Medical Center Program Audition is the interview
SCS/MSUCOM/McLaren Oakland Program (pontiac) Interviews sent
SCS/MSUCOM/St John Providence Health System-Osteo Div Program Interviews sent

So I’m gonna ask a stupid question play along here for 650+ score how likely is to get an invite ? Also I’ve emailing a couple of these places that you have put up, they are still in pre -accreditation . Do you have any fear about them not getting accredited ? The ones I’ve emailed have given me the generic we are re submitted response but won’t say how close they are to accustom for accreditation

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So I’m gonna ask a stupid question play along here for 650+ score how likely is to get an invite ? Also I’ve emailing a couple of these places that you have put up, they are still in pre -accreditation . Do you have any fear about them not getting accredited ? The ones I’ve emailed have given me the generic we are re submitted response but won’t say how close they are to accustom for accreditation

650+ is a solid score for Osteopathic ENT and would probably be around the 50% for people accepted into ENT residencies. A solid score does not guarantee interviews though. The majority of the D.O programs require an audition rotation to even be considered for an interview. The only programs I have heard sending invites to people who did not audition are Erie, PCOM and Barnabas. If you match into a pre-accredited or continued accredited program, that fails to attain initial accreditation by 2020, you will be allowed to finish out your residencie and become AOA board certified.

650+ is a solid score for Osteopathic ENT and would probably be around the 50% for people accepted into ENT residencies. A solid score does not guarantee interviews though. The majority of the D.O programs require an audition rotation to even be considered for an interview. The only programs I have heard sending invites to people who did not audition are Erie, PCOM and Barnabas. If you match into a pre-accredited or continued accredited program, that fails to attain initial accreditation by 2020, you will be allowed to finish out your residencie and become AOA board certified.

OK, I’m just worried about that whole accreditation issue. Like nothing is set in stone and nobody knows what’s really going on. And I thought 650 would be good. But there’s not much information for match scores and every program I’ve contacted so far tells me there’s no cut off for scores. I don’t know how heavy research is in the osteopathic ENT but I have some but it’s a different specialty.
To piggyback on the accreditation question, I am a member of the class of 2019 so if I match ENT I would still be accredited to continue my residency throughout 2024 correct?

OK, I’m just worried about that whole accreditation issue. Like nothing is set in stone and nobody knows what’s really going on. And I thought 650 would be good. But there’s not much information for match scores and every program I’ve contacted so far tells me there’s no cut off for scores. I don’t know how heavy research is in the osteopathic ENT but I have some but it’s a different specialty.
To piggyback on the accreditation question, I am a member of the class of 2019 so if I match ENT I would still be accredited to continue my residency throughout 2024 correct?

650 is bueno, a lot of the match comes down to how hard you work and how much you can get along with the current residents. Research is definitely a bonus but not a hard requirement; however, I think research will be emphasized in the match process more and more each year because of the ACGME requirement. Yes if you matched into an AOA pre/continued accredited program in 2019 you will be allowed to finish and become board certified.

650 is bueno, a lot of the match comes down to how hard you work and how much you can get along with the current residents. Research is definitely a bonus but not a hard requirement; however, I think research will be emphasized in the match process more and more each year because of the ACGME requirement. Yes if you matched into an AOA pre/continued accredited program in 2019 you will be allowed to finish and become board certified.

Perfect thanks for the info. One other question , would we be allowed to do ent fellowships or would we have to take step 3 as well not just comlex 3 ? Or is this just dependent on your ent boards

Perfect thanks for the info. One other question , would we be allowed to do ent fellowships or would we have to take step 3 as well not just comlex 3 ? Or is this just dependent on your ent boards

Graduates from D.O programs have been successful in attaining every kind of ENT fellowship rhinology, H&N, peds, otology, laryngology, facial plastics, sleep etc. The only two ENT fellowships that are accredited by the ACGME are neurotology and pediatric ENT. Peds is apparently very friendly to D.O graduates because I've met plenty of attendings who have gone to Peds fellowships. Probably one of the most competitive fellowships to get would be a facial plastics fellowship and then the fellowship that you absolutely could not get would be neurotology. The accredited neurotology programs have a strict requirement that you graduate from an ACGME accredited residency program. If you are super interested in ears there are some un-accredited otology fellowships that D.O graduates tend to gravitate towards like paparella and swedish. Bottom line if you graduate from an AOA accredited residency you can do any ENT fellowship you want besides neurotology, and even then there are some options if you are interested in ears. I haven't heard that fellowships look at step scores, its more letters of recommendation from former graduates of that fellowship and research in the field.

Graduates from D.O programs have been successful in attaining every kind of ENT fellowship rhinology, H&N, peds, otology, laryngology, facial plastics, sleep etc. The only two ENT fellowships that are accredited by the ACGME are neurotology and pediatric ENT. Peds is apparently very friendly to D.O graduates because I've met plenty of attendings who have gone to Peds fellowships. Probably one of the most competitive fellowships to get would be a facial plastics fellowship and then the fellowship that you absolutely could not get would be neurotology. The accredited neurotology programs have a strict requirement that you graduate from an ACGME accredited residency program. If you are super interested in ears there are some un-accredited otology fellowships that D.O graduates tend to gravitate towards like paparella and swedish. Bottom line if you graduate from an AOA accredited residency you can do any ENT fellowship you want besides neurotology, and even then there are some options if you are interested in ears. I haven't heard that fellowships look at step scores, its more letters of recommendation from former graduates of that fellowship and research in the field.
ok great to know! greatly appreciate the info. its rare to get the good of info on SDN now days.

Reactions: 1 user