2017-2018 IMG & FMG radiology applicants thread.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Preliminary IM invite from Suny Downstate

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks, I would be happy to match into preliminary IM and maybe reapplying next year for Rads... It appears that needing a VISA makes it nearly impossible to get this year into radiology.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, I would be happy to match into preliminary IM and maybe reapplying next year for Rads... It appears that needing a VISA makes it nearly impossible to get this year into radiology.

That's where I've set my expectations aswell. 1 step closer to living the dream is better than nothing at all. Prelim however is still very competitive since you have many advanced specialties applying to it (Derm, neuro, pm&r, rads, etc).

That's where I've set my expectations aswell. 1 step closer to living the dream is better than nothing at all. Prelim however is still very competitive since you have many advanced specialties applying to it (Derm, neuro, pm&r, rads, etc).

I guess it has also a luck component, I know FMG applicants with a general less competitive CV and USMLE scores that received +10 interviews many years ago.

Five rejections just today... Drexel mentioned +700 applicants. I guess this confirms a negative for radiology this season... unfortunately my visa status is something I cannot change, and there is no rads programs in my home country. Guess I have to start looking into something else

Five rejections just today... Drexel mentioned +700 applicants. I guess this confirms a negative for radiology this season... unfortunately my visa status is something I cannot change, and there is no rads programs in my home country. Guess I have to start looking into something else
Could you mention those rejections, I only got Drexel hold on (I'll take it as a rejection).

Yeah, rejection from drexel...that's okay I wasn't that interested in going to your program anyways lmao

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
UIowa interview.. rejection from Drexel, mayo Rochester

If you go down this route and only have a preliminary year, try to go to a preliminary medicine program with a radiology residency program at the same institution. Not always an option, of course, but if you're at a place with a radiology program, make friends early and they may help you land a PGY-2 position.

If you go down this route and only have a preliminary year, try to go to a preliminary medicine program with a radiology residency program at the same institution. Not always an option, of course, but if you're at a place with a radiology program, make friends early and they may help you land a PGY-2 position.

That's good advice, I guess I will continue trying my best. Thank you.

I don't want to go all political but anybody think that this year PDs are a little spooked of taking in FMGs in need of a visa because of the current administration? Even if my home country is not on the visa-ban list you never know if it might be with the way things are looking. I know it's still early for Radiology for us FMGs based on last year's thread but what is freaking me out is the lack of prelim interviews. I don't know, I guess it's always easer to blame somebody else..

Last edited:
How easy is it to soap into a prelim med or surgery position if we do not match in radiology and then maybe try for rads next year? I am not expecting any prelim interviews because of my YOG. Any ideas?

I don't want to go all political but anybody think that this year PDs are a little spooked of taking in FMGs in need of a visa because of the current administration? Even if my home country is not on the visa-ban list you never know if it might be with the way things are looking. I know it's still early for Radiology for us FMGs based on last year's thread but what is freaking me out is the lack of prelim interviews. I don't know, I guess it's always easer to blame somebody else..

I don't know. I would think that preexisting issues would not change despite the new administration (unless you are from one of the specifically mentioned countries).

If you look at the radiology PD AMA, there's a couple of factors at play:
1. Some programs don't want to take FMGs because of reputation. Taking an FMG implies that the program couldn't match a US graduate, which hurts reputation and makes recruiting future classes more difficult. I've also heard from a PD that since US taxpayers pay for the majority US GME (graduate medical education) positions, US citizens should get first priority in terms of training (since they or their family has already paid for it). Fair or unfair, this is happening.
2. Visa issues are a concern. Programs sometimes don't know how long it takes to get a visa processed and weather the individual will be able to begin on time. Therefore, some programs don't want to deal with it. Also, sponsoring a visa often costs money and not all institutions are willing to pay for it. It's a fact.

How easy is it to soap into a prelim med or surgery position if we do not match in radiology and then maybe try for rads next year? I am not expecting any prelim interviews because of my YOG. Any ideas?

This question about SOAPing into a preliminary position is better asked in the internship forum. There's always surgery preliminary positions available in the SOAP. Whether it's advise able to take them is another story.

I don't know. I would think that preexisting issues would not change despite the new administration (unless you are from one of the specifically mentioned countries).

If you look at the radiology PD AMA, there's a couple of factors at play:
1. Some programs don't want to take FMGs because of reputation. Taking an FMG implies that the program couldn't match a US graduate, which hurts reputation and makes recruiting future classes more difficult. I've also heard from a PD that since US taxpayers pay for the majority US GME (graduate medical education) positions, US citizens should get first priority in terms of training (since they or their family has already paid for it). Fair or unfair, this is happening.
2. Visa issues are a concern. Programs sometimes don't know how long it takes to get a visa processed and weather the individual will be able to begin on time. Therefore, some programs don't want to deal with it. Also, sponsoring a visa often costs money and not all institutions are willing to pay for it. It's a fact.

Yep, read the AMA, all valid points, but these are not likely to change now +/- 10 years.

Regarding if things would change with current issues is of course all speculation, but I'm just thinking that taking on FMGs might look like more of hassle now than before. Maybe these issues bring that level of uncertainty even to the most qualified FMG candidates, hence we have a >265:er x2 on this forum who's barely gotten any interviews. But as I said, it's early! We'll see what happens by next Friday.

Yep, read the AMA, all valid points, but these are not likely to change now +/- 10 years.

Regarding if things would change with current issues is of course all speculation, but I'm just thinking that taking on FMGs might look like more of hassle now than before. Maybe these issues bring that level of uncertainty even to the most qualified FMG candidates, hence we have a >265:er x2 on this forum who's barely gotten any interviews. But as I said, it's early! We'll see what happens by next Friday.

I dont know about "early" though, in the other forums you can see US applicants with backup plans due to having "too few" interviews (5-7). But you are right, we can just wait to see what happens!

I dont know about "early" though, in the other forums you can see US applicants with backup plans due to having "too few" interviews (5-7). But you are right, we can just wait to see what happens!
I wouldn't take these people seriously. We're MDs/med students after all, we're experts at making other people think we're going to fail miserably while we actually ace an exam. SDN is no exception to this. I'm sure it's the same people who do step 2 CK and think they failed while they actually pulled off a >270. Maybe they're serious about backup plans, but probably not. We're the ones who should be thinking of backup plans, but I already have mine as I knew this would be a difficult process no matter how qualified I became. If you don't have a backup plan in mind, just wait till next week, I'm sure things will clarify by then.

It's multifactorial for sure. This year is supposedly increased pretty significantly in terms of US grad applicant pool which means decreased pool for FMGs naturally. Compound that with IR/DR being in it's 2nd year and you have all the IR applicants who are super qualified applying DR as backup. Then of course, we have fear mongering over visa issues.

PDs are definitely scared of sponsoring an FMG who could potentially lose visa status at anytime. I mean look at the DACA applicants who are currently residing the US and are US grads still potentially having trouble.

I got an invitation for Rads, it is a great program and listed on the top 10 or 20 from Doximity. I am sorry if I cannot specify but I hope you understand. Hopefully this means a couple more can come, and also to the other FMGs waiting. Good luck to everyone.

Edit: I wish this brings some hope to other FMGs waiting since I know this is a very stressful period, one way or another, there will always be multiple paths for success!

I got an invitation for Rads, it is a great program and listed on the top 10 or 20 from Doximity. I am sorry if I cannot specify but I hope you understand. Hopefully this means a couple more can come, and also to the other FMGs waiting. Good luck to everyone.

Edit: I wish this brings some hope to other FMGs waiting since I know this is a very stressful period, one way or another, there will always be multiple paths for success!
Congrats! Totally understand wanting to be anonymous, it's not like there's too many of us out there lol. This gave me some hope!

How many have you gotten? And stats?

Congrats

Reactions: 1 users
How many have you gotten? And stats?

Only 1 prelim and 1 rads. Stats: the average of my USMLE scores is >265. FMG who needs VISA. Recent YOG, top of my class. No USCE. Highly involved with Rads in my country.

2016 grad here, 250 in both steps, cs first time, 2 month use.no research, no publication
Applied for 140 rad and 30 prelims no interviews so far

Only 1 prelim and 1 rads. Stats: the average of my USMLE scores is >265. FMG who needs VISA. Recent YOG, top of my class. No USCE. Highly involved with Rads in my country.
I'm sure you'll get more with those stats! Congrats!

Got rejections from UPMC,mayo, UNM, drexel

Me too, lets not lose hope. It seems many preliminary programs have not yet sent out their invites!
I have thought that if I only match to preliminary I can reapply for advanced positions next year, after the preliminary year you can do research or another activity until your position starts, I have heard it is easier to get interviews for any specialty if you are already doing something in the US (versus a non-USCE FMG)

But how did you get lors without USCE??

But how did you get lors without USCE??

International lors, I met a couple of current faculty members at university hospitals who applied only with international LoRs, however, it appears to me that the years when they matched into radiology the competition was not as fierce as it seems to be this season.

Me too, lets not lose hope. It seems many preliminary programs have not yet sent out their invites!
I have thought that if I only match to preliminary I can reapply for advanced positions next year, after the preliminary year you can do research or another activity until your position starts, I have heard it is easier to get interviews for any specialty if you are already doing something in the US (versus a non-USCE FMG)
How did you find out that the prelim programs haven't sent theirs out yet?

Figured I would post since I've followed these type of threads for several years now. US-IMG 240s/250s Step scores, >10 research (mix of rads and non-rads) projects with similar number of abstracts/posters/presentations/pubs, multiple leadership roles and other extracurricular volunteering. Applied to 70-80 programs (majority community and low/mid-tier university), have 6 invites from community/university-affiliated type programs, 0 outright rejections thus far.

Figured I would post since I've followed these type of threads for several years now. US-IMG 240s/250s Step scores, >10 research (mix of rads and non-rads) projects with similar number of abstracts/posters/presentations/pubs, multiple leadership roles and other extracurricular volunteering. Applied to 70-80 programs (majority community and low/mid-tier university), have 6 invites from community/university-affiliated type programs, 0 outright rejections thus far.
SGU?

How did you find out that the prelim programs haven't sent theirs out yet?
I haven't. I just read several posts from US applicants mentioning they have not received as many prelims as radiology invites, which makes me think that they haven't been as active, but it could understandably be a misperception from my part.

This thread is just making us all nervous, usually imgs get most rad interviews by mid November and early December.If you get an interview in October consider it as a miracle....Be patient......

This thread is just making us all nervous, usually imgs get most rad interviews by mid November and early December.If you get an interview in October consider it as a miracle....Be patient......
As a FMG who hope this is actually true. i think things are not looking well. we just have to wait, but still i dont think there is to much going to change.

What are you basing this on? Based on last year's thread seems like the bulk of the interviews went out before mid-October and definitely by end of October, especially prelim.

What are you basing this on? Based on last year's thread seems like the bulk of the interviews went out before mid-October and definitely by end of October, especially prelim.

Yup. These next 2-3 weeks are huge. You pretty much now where you stand by the end of october.