2017-2018 IMG & FMG radiology applicants thread.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FMG with +265 in both steps, 1 publication, some research and 2 years since graduation.
I havent received a single interview invitation neither for preliminary, I am gettin really sad as I see a >45 programs have already sent interviews. I thought my stats were very good

Last edited:
FMG with +265 in both steps, 1 publication, some research and 2 years since graduation.
I havent received a single interview invitation neither for preliminary, I am gettin really sad as I see a >45 programs have already sent interviews. I thought my stats were very good
Hi, I dont think any non-US IMGs have gotten much invites yet. Your scores are great. I think you will get lots of interviews in Oct.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Invites have really slowed down past 3 days...here's to hoping more come out after Oct 1!

Hi, I dont think any non-US IMGs have gotten much invites yet. Your scores are great. I think you will get lots of interviews in Oct.
I really hope we match in the end, definitely wouldnt matter to be invited just once if it meant to match somewhere, making all the invested time and energy worth it. Good luck on your side!

I got my first rejection from Baylor Prelim Medicine.

Stay hopeful guys, things will get better once the MSPEs get released.

How many programs did you apply to

NON US - IMG (Also knows as FMG).
2014-Dec YOG.
Step 1: 243
CK: 238
CS: pass 1st attempt
Step 3: 234

1 paper published about malaria (as co-author).
1 paper submitted to a neuroscience journal (brain MRI related, as co-author).
A few abstracts in ASNR meeting (I didn't present them).
4 months observership in a university hospital

Only one interview at El paso

Non- US IMG.
254/226/Pass/no step 3
One invite only so far- El Paso

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the club haha
When other programs are going to send out rejections so we can finally move on (?)

A lot of programs don't send official rejections from what I understand :(
But hopefully we'll get a lot of IVs and won't have to worry about that.

A lot of programs don't send official rejections from what I understand :(
But hopefully we'll get a lot of IVs and won't have to worry about that.
May you share your credentials and number of interviews? Are you IMG or US MD

Did any FMG get interviews apart from El-Paso?
Not me. In previous years there has been a 0.6X ratio of US applicants to radiology spots. That means that innevitably about 150-200 spots had to be filled out by IMGs, (unlike in orthopaedics where the 1.2 ratio makes it nearly impossible for IMGs). I do not know about this year, I am guessing that maybe the ratio got larger and is not on my benefit.

Last edited:
Not me. In previous years there has been a 0.6X ratio of US applicants to radiology spots. That means that innevitably about 150-200 spots had to be filled out by IMGs, (unlike in orthopaedics where the 1.2 ratio is impossible for IMGs). I do not know about this year, I am guessing that maybe the ratio got larger and is not on my benefit.

Yeah.. Looks pretty bad. I guess we will find out in the next 10 days

But how was going last year by this time (?)

I think by the end of october the bulk of interviews have all been sent (>95%). I would start to become extremely worried by then if you haven't received invitations. There are some top programs and few other places that send interviews in november. But by december or january, you're only chance of getting interviews are due to cancellations and brought up from the waitlist or even by calling every program individually and getting lucky.

I think by the end of october the bulk of interviews have all been sent (>95%). I would start to become extremely worried by then if you haven't received invitations. There are some top programs and few other places that send interviews in november. But by december or january, you're only chance of getting interviews are due to cancellations and brought up from the waitlist or even by calling every program individually and getting lucky.
Only one interview by now.. I'm still pretty worry .

Not me. In previous years there has been a 0.6X ratio of US applicants to radiology spots. That means that innevitably about 150-200 spots had to be filled out by IMGs, (unlike in orthopaedics where the 1.2 ratio makes it nearly impossible for IMGs). I do not know about this year, I am guessing that maybe the ratio got larger and is not on my benefit.

A radiology program director said in another thread that, after speaking with other program directors, the number of US Allopathic seniors applicants has increased approximately 25% from last year.

I have seen that 0.6x number on the NRMP site as well. In the 2017 NRMP Match, 740 out of the 1070 (67%) diagnostic radiology positions offered match were filled by US allopathic seniors (not counting SOAP). Remember that the remaining positions are not just filled by Non-US IMGs (FMGs), but osteopathic medical students, US IMGs, and US graduates fill out a good percentage of those positions as well. See the data below:

Here's the 2017 Data for Matched applicants into Diagnostic Radiology:
US Allopathic Seniors: 740 matched (667 advanced, 73 categorical).
US Graduates (previously graduated from a US medical school): 61 matched (4 categorical, 36 advanced, 21 R [physician] positions).
Osteopathic: 120 matched (22 categorical, 93 advanced, 5 R [physician] positions).
US IMG: 62 matched (7 categorical, 53 advanced, 2 R [physician] positions).
Non-US IMG: 85 matched (14 categorical, 68 advanced, 3 R [physician) positions).

There were a total of 17 positions in diagnostic radiology filled through the SOAP in 2017.
Categorical: 1
Advanced: 12
R (physician): 4

Hope this helps. And I hope this alleviates some of your concerns.

Reactions: 1 users
A radiology program director said in another thread that, after speaking with other program directors, the number of US Allopathic seniors applicants has increased approximately 25% from last year.

I have seen that 0.6x number on the NRMP site as well. In the 2017 NRMP Match, 740 out of the 1070 (67%) diagnostic radiology positions offered match were filled by US allopathic seniors (not counting SOAP). Remember that the remaining positions are not just filled by Non-US IMGs (FMGs), but osteopathic medical students, US IMGs, and US graduates fill out a good percentage of those positions as well. See the data below:

US Graduates (previously graduated from a US medical school): 61 matched (4 categorical, 36 advanced, 21 R [physician] positions).
Osteopathic: 120 matched (22 categorical, 93 advanced, 5 R [physician] positions).
Non-US IMG: 85 matched (14 categorical, 68 advanced, 3 R [physician) positions).

There were a total of 17 positions in diagnostic radiology filled through the SOAP in 2017.

That's a good overview.
Thank you for the data.
It's still hard not to get concerned.
Kind regards and best wishes.

Very valuable information, Thank you so much!!

Hi Terrence, thanks for the post.
Does anyone here know who is eligible for the R [physician] position and who matches in it?

Does anyone here know who is eligible for the R [physician] position and who matches in it?
I guess is someone who already have at least one year (preliminary) or more of graduate medical education. I.E. u are done with intern year or you are switching from other specialty or location.

Physician [R] positions are positions that begin at the PGY-2 level in the July immediately following Match. So, in this circumstance, physician [R] positions would begin July 2018 at the PGY-2 level. R positions are not available to senior medical students, but available for everyone else who has graduated medical school. If applying this year, it is assumed that the requisite training (internship or equivalent) will have been completed prior to July 2018.

I guess is someone who already have at least one year (preliminary) or more of graduate medical education. I.E. u are done with intern year or you are switching from other specialty or location.

Or someone is currently in an intern year and looking to place into a diagnostic radiology program that would begin July 2018 at the PGY-2 level.

Thanks Terrence and knosway.. I have completed my rad residency in home country, so was wondering whether that I would be eligible for the same . But looks like it needs a prelim year

Thanks Terrence and knosway.. I have completed my rad residency in home country, so was wondering whether that I would be eligible for the same . But looks like it needs a prelim year
US training required, best wishes as someone in the same boat as you are.

at least that's some good news! I hear that if you don't hear back by mid october then you should have a backup plan
To be very honest with you, I have a back up plan, which is radiology in an european country. European country results come out at April...and match results at March I didn't apply for a back up specialty. My back up is radiology (somewhere else). I love radiology so much I can not imagine myself doing anything else in my life.

Might as well chip in here. Also FMG with high stats, no interviews yet.

Surg Prelim:
UFCOM Jacksonville
NY Presb Brooklyn Methodist

Rads (DR):
Monmouth
Morristown
CWRU (Univ Hosp)

I'd echo what others have been saying on here - relatively quiet until this week for rads IV

Surg Prelim:
UFCOM Jacksonville
NY Presb Brooklyn Methodist

Rads (DR):
Monmouth
Morristown
CWRU (Univ Hosp)

I'd echo what others have been saying on here - relatively quiet until this week for rads IV

Would you mind sharing if you are an FMG in need of VISA?