2017-2018 IMG & FMG radiology applicants thread.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Additional iv invites since my post 2 weeks ago:

Rads (DR):
+Maimonides
+Norwalk Hospital Program
+SUNY Upstate
+SUNY Downstate
+RUMC (Staten Island)
+St. Vincent (Bridgeport CT)
+St. Barnabas
(-) Rejections: Yale DR, UPMC IR/DR, U Alabama DR, NYU IR/DR, Drexel "on hold" (lol)

Prelim surgery is quiet...really quiet
this week has been quiet for DR

Are you an FMG in need of visa?

Members don't see this ad.

Rads (DR):
+Maimonides
+SUNY Upstate
+SUNY Downstate
+RUMC (Staten Island)
+St. Barnabas
(-) Rejections: Yale DR, UPMC IR/DR, U Alabama DR, NYU IR/DR, Drexel "on hold" (lol)

US IMG right ?

Rads (DR):
+Maimonides
+SUNY Upstate
+SUNY Downstate
+RUMC (Staten Island)
+St. Barnabas

Members don't see this ad :)
I was given an option to wait list for San Antonio, and was given various dates, it lets me pick more than one though myERAS. Is it ok to pick more than one date to waitlist?

Reactions: 1 users
I was given an option to wait list for San Antonio, and was given various dates, it lets me pick more than one though myERAS. Is it ok to pick more than one date to waitlist?

You would want to pick as many dates as possible and fly in at a moment’s notice.

Reactions: 1 user
Sudev what are your stats?

Anyone getting prelim invites? I've gotten a couple of rejections and 1 transitional year invite but mostly radio silence (no pun intended).

10/20

Rads (DR):
+Harlem Hospital
+DMC/Wayne State
(-) Rejections: UMass

Surg Prelim:
+Texas Tech (El Paso)

Sudev what are your stats?

Anyone getting prelim invites? I've gotten a couple of rejections and 1 transitional year invite but mostly radio silence (no pun intended).

US IMG
clinical rotations in US
240's both steps
1st pass CS
some research but nothing crazy

do you guys know if TY/prelim programs have started to ramp up their invitations sent out yet?

10/20

Rads (DR):
+Harlem Hospital
+DMC/Wayne State
(-) Rejections: UMass

Surg Prelim:
+Texas Tech (El Paso)

When did you receive invite from DMC/Wanyne and rejection from UMass?
I dont have really high stats and need visa so i should have got that UMass rejection but i dont know if it means they have wait listed me maybe.. ?

When did you receive invite from DMC/Wanyne and rejection from UMass?
I dont have really high stats and need visa so i should have got that UMass rejection but i dont know if it means they have wait listed me maybe.. ?

Some programs will not send rejection letters to all the applications that they reject.

Some programs will not send rejection letters to all the applications that they reject.
I was unaware of the fact that programs also selectively reject people. I am down on bottom of list probably so i should be technically first one to receive rejection lol

My stats :

FMG, YOG 2015 honors, 2 observerships, current research position in us, 3 lors from US, 3 pubs (non-rads)
steps 250s, pass, 1st attempt,
so far: 6 rads IVs, +1 waitlisted, 4 of which are mid-low tier universities, & 4 prelims IM IVs, 1 from a mid-tier university
sent 115 rads & 70 IM prelim applications...
really afraid i won't match with not enough number of IVs...
It seems like citizenship plays a big role
please share your stats as well, it's helpful

anyone can share any stats from last year's match? like how many imgs - fmgs ended up unmatched in radiology?

Members don't see this ad :)
My stats :

FMG, YOG 2015 honors, 2 observerships, current research position in us, 3 lors from US, 3 pubs (non-rads)
so far: 6 rads IVs, +1 waitlisted, 4 of which are mid-low tier universities, & 4 prelims IM IVs, 1 from a mid-tier university

anyone can share any stats from last year's match? like how many imgs - fmgs ended up unmatched in radiology?
Do you mind sharing where did you get all of your interviews from?

My stats :

Dear sirad you are worried because you may be comparing yourself to us graduates.
I believe most people here are at much worse position than you are.
My stats: FMG ,yog 2016, steps:250s , fisrt time pass, 2 month USCE with US LORs, those are clerkships in university hospitals
No publications, ONLY HAVE 2 IVS TILL DATE. I was confident atleast till I saw your post here.
In my view what matters now is research and publications, than visa stats

Dear sirad you are worried because you may be comparing yourself to us graduates.
My stats: FMG ,yog 2016, steps:250s , fisrt time pass, 2 month USCE with US LORs, those are clerkships in university hospitals
No publications, ONLY HAVE 2 IVS TILL DATE. I was confident atleast till I saw your post here.

It's a fact that needing visa filters you out of many programs, I strongly believe that with a green card + >250s you would get a decent amount of interviews as an FMG (at least 5-10 unless there was something notoriously wrong in your CV). Publications and research are very likely important, but as with your USMLE scores, I believe they are weighted against your visa status

Dear radaspi, I totally understand your situation, we are all on the same boat, and we have all tried so hard to be able to qualify for a radiology position.
I wish PDs could understand how it takes triple the effort for us to be considered for a residency in this field.
But at least we have those few IVs, and we need to make the best out of them.
I have told myself that after November the 1st I will have to suppress all my negative thoughts and just go to the IVs and enjoy the ride. Pessimism never helped anyone.
Actually I was comparing myself to a friend of mine who had citizenship and matched 2 years ago at a top program after having 20+ IVs. We had different cv's, he was also partly trained in our home country and had better scores than mine but he had a lot more IVs and i was expecting to have the same amount. which i didn't.

Dear radaspi, I totally understand your situation, we are all on the same boat, and we have all tried so hard to be able to qualify for a radiology position.
I wish PDs could understand how it takes triple the effort for us to be considered for a residency in this field.
But at least we have those few IVs, and we need to make the best out of them.
I have told myself that after November the 1st I will have to suppress all my negative thoughts and just go to the IVs and enjoy the ride. Pessimism never helped anyone.
Actually I was comparing myself to a friend of mine who had citizenship and matched 2 years ago at a top program after having 20+ IVs. We had different cv's, he was also partly trained in our home country and had better scores than mine but he had a lot more IVs and i was expecting to have the same amount. which i didn't.

2 years ago was the least competitive year of radiology. Our program matched its only IMG ever that year.

It increased a lot last year probably due to the new IR/DR leading to more competitive IR people applying to DR as a backup.

It increased a lot last year probably due to the new IR/DR leading to more competitive IR people applying to DR as a backup.

Do we have stats on this? One would think they would go for surgery instead... Since their main interest is doing procedures, not sitting in a dark room reading images.

Do we have stats on this? One would think they would go for surgery instead... Since their main interest is doing procedures, not sitting in a dark room reading images.

Remember, surgery is not a path to IR but DR is an alternative path back to IR.

Reactions: 1 users
Remember, surgery is not a path to IR but DR is an alternative path back to IR.

That’s probably true . They can do an IR fellowship after DR residency

In that case, then you technically have not drawn in new people to diagnostic radiology to make it more competitive. All thats happened, is that people applying to DR who like procedures also have an avenue of IR pathway giving themselves more chances. Im assuming that new people who specifically want IR are absolutely adamant in doing procedures. In that case they would prefer surgery over diagnostic radiology as a back up. Does that make any sense?

Last edited:
In that case, then you technically have not drawn in new people to diagnostic radiology to make it more competitive. All thats happened, is that people applying to DR who like procedures also have an avenue of IR pathway giving themselves more chances. Im assuming that new people who specifically want IR are absolutely adamant in doing procedures. In that case they would prefer surgery over diagnostic radiology as a back up. Does that make any sense?

I think so too.. for someone to chose IR, an interest in radiology has to be existing, cause they'll have to do some DR training, otherwise there's no point.
So it got more competitive since people interested in IR have built stronger cv's to compete for the integrated path.
however, the DR positions have not decreased (or have they?) after the intergated path was initiated
So i cannot explain why it got so competitive this year

I think so too.. for someone to chose IR, an interest in radiology has to be existing, cause they'll have to do some DR training, otherwise there's no point.
So it got more competitive since people interested in IR have built stronger cv's to compete for the integrated path.
however, the DR positions have not decreased (or have they?) after the intergated path was initiated

Competitiveness naturally fluctuates, it may just be a sporadic (idiopathic) peak in applicants this year...

Ah I get what you are saying now. It wasn't exactly clear before. yes the IR people that were going to do IR regardless of whether it was its own thing or not are not new additions to the DR pool. However, I do know many Gen Surgery interested people that ended up switching and applying to IR once they realized they were competitive for it. This pool though is rather small.

There are less DR programs now because some DR spots are used to make IR spots

There are less DR programs now because some DR spots are used to make IR spots

This. Also, SIR went way overboard advertising IR. I think many students didn't know IR existed until now. These students would've done surgery, but instead are applying to IR with DR as a backup as someone above noted.

There's a whatsapp group for radiology match as well.
Join the USMLE Residency match 2018 group on Facebook and search for radiology.
The link to join should come up. SDN won't let me post the link for some reason.
With whatsapp you have to reveal your number. This can then be tied to your application, in the event someone is just lurking. I think a better way to start the group would be like kik or something.

How's everyone doing?

Just to keep up the good vibes for those who think interview invitations are over, I received an invitation yesterday, so there's still hope.

Reactions: 2 users
anyone else being nervous about the match?!?! :bang:

For people who are looking at this thread next year, I received three interviews during January, so don't give up hope, even when it's November or December and you don't have many interviews. Also, aggressively call programs that you haven't received a rejection from! The squeaky wheel gets the grease, so to speak.

Can you guys share your experience on the match?

I am a non US IMG, very good scores, no red flags, have research experience with 3 pubs, had 11 rads interviews, had positive feedback after some IVs, but still didn’t match.. I only matched in prelim IM.
I was disappointed but I’ll try again next year, life goes on. I realized that IMGs who have a green card or are US citizens have MUCH higher chances of matching.

I am a non US IMG, very good scores, no red flags, have research experience with 3 pubs, had 11 rads interviews, had positive feedback after some IVs, but still didn’t match.. I only matched in prelim IM.
I was disappointed but I’ll try again next year, life goes on. I realized that IMGs who have a green card or are US citizens have MUCH higher chances of matching.

I know an FMG (on visa) who matched into advanced (Radiology) in a top program without pre-lim. Matching is complex. Its not either/or matter. It is multifactorial and your best bet is to build internal connections with a rads department thats not highly competitive and IMG friendly. Just because you have interviews, does not mean you will get ranked high enough to match. A strong influential connection trumps everything. Hang in there and best of luck.

It is multifactorial and your best bet is to build internal connections with a rads department thats not highly competitive and IMG friendly. Just because you have interviews, does not mean you will get ranked high enough to match. A strong influential connection trumps everything

Thats what someone told me before me applying for match. You just need one program to rank you high enough to be matched. Even low tier programs wont rank IMGs high enough to match and they will always prefer US-MDs and US-DOs.

I got an invitation for Rads, it is a great program and listed on the top 10 or 20 from Doximity. I am sorry if I cannot specify but I hope you understand. Hopefully this means a couple more can come, and also to the other FMGs waiting. Good luck to everyone.

Edit: I wish this brings some hope to other FMGs waiting since I know this is a very stressful period, one way or another, there will always be multiple paths for success!

Did you match?

I know how it feels. I'm a US-IMG and got 9 interviews and also didn't match. I will see how I can increase my chances for next year. I also secured a prelim spot. Best wishes and I hope you are doing well.

Thank you @Modernpod... best of luck to you too.!
it would be useful if other people shared their experiences too

Non-US IMG here. I interviewed and ranked 8 places. Ended up matching pretty high on my ROL. I'm extremely grateful to have matched and I'm offering help/advice to my fellow IMG applicants. Please DM me if you have specific questions about the process.

Best of luck to ya!

Reactions: 3 users
Non-US IMG here. I interviewed and ranked 8 places. Ended up matching pretty high on my ROL. I'm extremely grateful to have matched and I'm offering help/advice to my fellow IMG applicants. Please DM me if you have specific questions about the process.

Best of luck to ya!
PMing you

International graduate with a green card considered US IMG or just IMG?

Will be applying next year and trying to figure out which category I fit into.

Thank you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk