2017-2018 Official IM Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Recently interviewed at Emory and their noon conference was garbage. I mean second year medical student garbage with 80% of residents on their phone and a very low turn out. Just wondering if anyone had a different experience and this was just an off day?

Members don't see this ad.

Recently interviewed at Emory and their noon conference was garbage. I mean second year medical student garbage with 80% of residents on their phone and a very low turn out. Just wondering if anyone had a different experience and this was just an off day?

My experience was a packed house with lots of resident and faculty engagement. It was probably in the top 3 of conferences I’ve attended on my interview trail, in my eyes. I guess every program has its off days.

Sent LOI to NYU Dec 5, invite Dec 6 :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing at UPMC on monday and I saw on the schedule that there is some sort of "appreciation gift" at the end? Kind of curious as to what it is if anyone can help me out?

all i got was a packet with info, a pen, a notepad and some cookies in it i think...don't get too excited haha

Will there be any invites sent out after this coming Friday?

I wonder what was the latest date invites were sent out last year...

Reactions: 1 users
I received an offer from Duke last week so wait list movement is happening. Not trying to subtle brag, everyone should be encouraged that the ball is rolling and it starts from the top.

I did get an invite from VCOM last week, so invitations are still getting sent :)

I received an offer from Duke last week so wait list movement is happening. Not trying to subtle brag, everyone should be encouraged that the ball is rolling and it starts from the top.

Congrats man it's a really good interview day

Anyone know anything about the uconn new Britain IM program? I was a little confused today when I got an invite from a uconn primary care program as I didn't remember applying to any primary care programs. What's the deal with it? It seems to place quite a few students in fellowships so it's obviously not solely a primary care track. Also what's the big difference between this program and the main uconn Im residency? Just different hospitals?

hey, did you ever get a reply on this? also did you end up going for the interview and did you like it. Thanks

I know this has been asked before, but is it worth it to go to an interview if you were invited in late Dec, off of the waitlist, or a couple of days ago? I have two interviews coming up in mid-end January. I understand that some people might impress at these late interviews with an outgoing personality, but lacking this, do I have any shot at these places? I feel as though I'm wasting everyone's time by going. For reference, I recently attended one interview off of the waitlist where I could tell my interviewer didn't feel I was qualified to be there.

I know this has been asked before, but is it worth it to go to an interview if you were invited in late Dec, off of the waitlist, or a couple of days ago? I have two interviews coming up in mid-end January. I understand that some people might impress at these late interviews with an outgoing personality, but lacking this, do I have any shot at these places? I feel as though I'm wasting everyone's time by going. For reference, I recently attended one interview off of the waitlist where I could tell my interviewer didn't feel I was qualified to be there.

I’m sorry you had that experience- I’ve had that experience too, except it was at a November interview. It speaks much more to the interviewer being not very cut out for this job than anything else. No interviewer should make an applicant feel that way.

Anyway...I have been told by several advisors/mentors that once you’re offered an interview, you’re on a level playing field with everyone else. While I have no way of knowing if this is true (it’s highly possible it gets harder to “wow” people once they’ve already interviewed a few hundred people and once you’re wrapping up a season of traveling and smiling and awkward small talk as well), but I really don’t think your application gets a demerit for being processed/interviewed later in the season.

If it’s a program you would strongly consider ranking highly (top 5 if not top 3), and you can afford it without significant financial or other burden, I think it’s worth it to go. There are anecdotal stories floating around these forums and even that I’ve heard in real life of people interviewing in January and matching at a given program.
If it’s a program you don’t feel particularly strongly about, and you already have, say, 10 places to rank- then just save your time and money.

But if you were placed on a wait list and ultimately came off- they ARE interested in you.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users