2017-2018 PhD/PsyD Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Find what works best for you. I HATED MAGOOSH! It did not help me at all and actually lowered my confidence going into the test and made me feel far less prepared than I was. I used Kaplan, and it improved my verbal 8 points and quant 7 points from my initial practice test. Try out some programs and find whichever option you think will help you improve your scores the most. Good luck!
It sucks that you end up wasting a good chunk of money on study materials that aren't right for you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
School Name: Ferkauf Graduate School (Yeshiva University)
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/1/18
Degree: PsyD
Type: School-Clinical Child Psych
Notified via: Email from Program Director
Interview Date: 2/22/18

School Name: Pace University
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/1/18
Type: School-Clinical Child Psych
Notified via: Email from Staff Assistant
Interview Date: 2/13/18

Reactions: 1 users
school name: La Salle University
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/2/18
Type: Clinical
Interview Date: 2/24

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody! Pretty sure I was rejected from all my schools since I haven't heard anything (UOregon, UDenver, Harvard, UMass). Would anyone who HAS gotten an interview invite be willing to share their personal statement with me? Never, ever to use as my own but just to read a good example of one they liked. Personal statements have been my Achilles heel these past few rounds of apps despite great GRE/GPA/experience. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, just wanted to share my woes and try to reach out/find a solution!

Hey everyone,
I just received an invite from the University of Hartford to interview. However, two of their four possible interview dates had already passed when I received the invite. Is it possible there was an error and I somehow received the email late or is it normal that they would send an invite after they're already halfway done?

Also, do you think it will be a problem if I can only attend one of the two days left? Really hoping they can accommodate...
Thanks for the input! :)

Interviews: CUNY, Suffolk U, Springfield College, U Hartford
Rejections: Rutgers, Clark
Acceptances: ???

Hey everyone,
I just received an invite from the University of Hartford to interview. However, two of their four possible interview dates had already passed when I received the invite. Is it possible there was an error and I somehow received the email late or is it normal that they would send an invite after they're already halfway done?

Also, do you think it will be a problem if I can only attend one of the two days left? Really hoping they can accommodate...
Thanks for the input! :)

Interviews: CUNY, Suffolk U, Springfield College, U Hartford
Rejections: Rutgers, Clark
Acceptances: ???

Possibly means that the first interview days didn't go as well as planned and they are inviting additional applicants to interview now. Whatever the case might be, good luck!

Has anyone been through a Psy.D. program interview and mind telling me what it is like? Is it different than a Ph.D. interview?

I got an email about a diversity fellowship application I submitted for the University of Albany and just received an email that it is under review- I haven't received an interview invite so I'm kind of confused on what's going on- if anyone has any information, that would be super helpful! Thanks!

Has anyone been through a Psy.D. program interview and mind telling me what it is like? Is it different than a Ph.D. interview?

This last weekend, I did back-to-back interviews, one for a PsyD and one for a PhD. In my experience, the PhD interview was with the specific faculty I was interested in working with, since they're really the ones who are making my admissions decision. We largely talked about my own research interests and their work, but there were a couple more broad questions like "Tell me about yourself."

With the PsyD, it was totally random which faculty member interviewed which applicants, and they seemed more interested in the social aspect of things and your ability to carry on a conversation. The Dean specifically said that they were paying attention to how people responded to more challenging questions and that stress (though none of my questions were too stressful.) There was also more of a "workshop" feel, with a tour and lunch and more student interaction. The interviews composed a pretty small part of the day overall.

Hope this helps!

Has anyone heard from University of Maryland College Park or Baltimore County?

Hi everyone, I was just notified by my first choice PsyD program that I am on the waitlist as a high alternate. I know that it probably varies greatly by program and if other students accept or deny, but how likely is it that a "high alternate" may receive an offer? Additionally, is it considered poor etiquette to call and ask for a better idea of where I am on the list? Thanks for any advice. I'm super excited I wasn't outright rejected, but I am scared I will hold out hope for an offer that will never come and be crushed.

School Name: Palo Alto University
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/7/18
Degree: Ph.D.
Type: Neuropsych
Interview Date: March 9-10th

Has anyone been accepted here before or has been a student here? I am trying to figure out the reputation of the school for their Ph.D. program as I applied to both the Ph.D. and the Psy.D. I got an offer for the Ph.D. program and I was wondering about funding options?

Members don't see this ad :)
School Name: Palo Alto University
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/7/18
Degree: Ph.D.
Type: Neuropsych
Interview Date: March 9-10th

Has anyone been accepted here before or has been a student here? I am trying to figure out the reputation of the school for their Ph.D. program as I applied to both the Ph.D. and the Psy.D. I got an offer for the Ph.D. program and I was wondering about funding options?

I was accepted there last cycle, but chose to attend a different university. Unless they changed it, I think it's important to know that they don't accept people into the neuropsych track until your 2nd year, so it's not guaranteed (You can't get below an A- in 6 pre req classes). It's a professional school, but the reputation is a little bit better than an Argosy/Alliant/Midwestern. However, the program has a lot of glaring issues. The cohorts are massive, the price+cost of living is extremely high (there were students I talked to who said they took out over 250k in loans!), there's no guarantee you'll match with a neuro research lab in your second year, and there's almost completely no funding. As for positives, they do have a good relationship with Palo Alto VA, and send a good amount of people to internship there. From what I've been told from people more familiar with this stuff than I am, Palo Alto VA is a pretty prestigious VA. I imagine the very top neuro students at the program are pretty successful, but they'd be successful almost anywhere. Their APA match rate is impressive for the size of their cohort. The professors all seemed pretty happy and friendly as well, and PAU pulls out all the stops for interview to really "sell" you on the school (this is also kind of a red flag). The neuropsychologists I had done research with all advised me to accept an offer at a semi-funded PsyD over PAU, so take that as you will.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if Ferkauf PsyD has heard about decisions?

I was accepted there last cycle, but chose to attend a different university. Unless they changed it, I think it's important to know that they don't accept people into the neuropsych track until your 2nd year, so it's not guaranteed (You can't get below an A- in 6 pre req classes). It's a professional school, but the reputation is a little bit better than an Argosy/Alliant/Midwestern. However, the program has a lot of glaring issues. The cohorts are massive, the price+cost of living is extremely high (there were students I talked to who said they took out over 250k in loans!), there's no guarantee you'll match with a neuro research lab in your second year, and there's almost completely no funding. As for positives, they do have a good relationship with Palo Alto VA, and send a good amount of people to internship there. From what I've been told from people more familiar with this stuff than I am, Palo Alto VA is a pretty prestigious VA. I imagine the very top neuro students at the program are pretty successful, but they'd be successful almost anywhere. Their APA match rate is impressive for the size of their cohort. The professors all seemed pretty happy and frendly as well, and PAU pulls out all the stops for interview to really "sell" you on the school (this is also kind of a red flag). The neuropsychologists I had done research with all advised me to accept an offer at a semi-funded PsyD over PAU, so take that as you will.
Perfect because the school is not close to my top choice at all. I have interviewed at 6 other Psy.D.'s and have 5 more to go. From the details it seems that it is not going to be a great fit. Thank you for the information.

Perfect because the school is not close to my top choice at all. I have interviewed at 6 other Psy.D.'s and have 5 more to go. From the details it seems that it is not going to be a great fit. Thank you for the information.
You're welcome. Best of luck!

Does anyone have advice for how to handle interviews when you have already been accepted at the institution you wish to attend? I already have flights booked so it is too late to cancel on my other interviews, but I don't really know how to proceed, knowing I plan to accept a different offer.

Does anyone have advice for how to handle interviews when you have already been accepted at the institution you wish to attend? I already have flights booked so it is too late to cancel on my other interviews, but I don't really know how to proceed, knowing I plan to accept a different offer.

If you 100% are sure that you are going to attend somewhere that you already have an offer. You really should cancel the other interviews. At that point, it's just a huge waste of everyone's time and resources.

If you 100% are sure that you are going to attend somewhere that you already have an offer. You really should cancel the other interviews. At that point, it's just a huge waste of everyone's time and resources.
The flipside of that is if you aren't absolutely 100% sure that the others wouldn't be acceptable, it might still be good to go with an open mind. You might actually prefer these other places over the one where you have already been accepted.

From personal experience, a couple of programs where I interviewed ended up being far better in many ways than some of the more well-known and prestigious programs.

I second this, for the reasons cited above, but also because your spot could then be freed up for an applicant who was listed as an alternate and may really want to attend that program.

The flipside of that is if you aren't absolutely 100% sure that the others wouldn't be acceptable, it might still be good to go with an open mind. You might actually prefer these other places over the one where you have already been accepted.

From personal experience, a couple of programs where I interviewed ended up being far better in many ways than some of the more well-known and prestigious programs.

I think I should keep an open mind. I cannot be 100% sure about my decision, unless I visit all of the programs that I had originally considered. There is one school that I cancelled my interview to, because I really could not see myself going there and being happy there, so I am sure that freed up an open spot for someone else, but the others are also great options that I should explore, as perhaps I may like them more than I originally anticipated. Plus at this point, me cancelling would not open up another spot for someone else, as interviews for these programs are this and next weekend. Thank you for the advice.

Reactions: 2 users
Has Western Michigan extended any interviews yet? From previous years, it seems as if they are one of the later schools to do so. But I'm just wondering. thanks!

I think I should keep an open mind. I cannot be 100% sure about my decision, unless I visit all of the programs that I had originally considered. There is one school that I cancelled my interview to, because I really could not see myself going there and being happy there, so I am sure that freed up an open spot for someone else, but the others are also great options that I should explore, as perhaps I may like them more than I originally anticipated. Plus at this point, me cancelling would not open up another spot for someone else, as interviews for these programs are this and next weekend. Thank you for the advice.

In other words: "I have first dibs" :p

One thing you can't really know unless you go to interviews is the general "feel" of the program, the personalities of your POI and potential lab members, and how you would feel working with them. It's somewhat intangible and seems ambiguous at first, but once you're actually there, you can totally tell through this visceral feeling you get. It becomes less like interviewing for a job and more like joining a new family. And the people there have similar experiences and feelings as well. The places where I actually felt at home and relaxed, but energized by the opportunity were all the places where I received admission offers.

So, while I understand wanting to be respectful of other who are alternates and not wasting the time of the people at each program, I definitely support going to interviews as long as the place isn't a firm "No" before going. I did so much research beforehand (e.g., not applying to unfunded programs, not just applying to programs based on geography and a desire to just go anywhere, etc.) that I couldn't really reject them out of hand without going there for interviews first.

Yes I've heard back, but I also know that they're still interviewing people, so I don't know if they're notifying everyone yet.
Do you think they've sent out both acceptances and rejections? And people who haven't heard yet are just in the middle?

Do you think they've sent out both acceptances and rejections? And people who haven't heard yet are just in the middle?

As to that, I honestly don't know. I saw that someone posted that they'd been rejected on gradcafe, and I was accepted, but I don't know what the protocol was. When did you interview? Maybe people who interviewed later on will hear back a little bit later?

As to that, I honestly don't know. I saw that someone posted that they'd been rejected on gradcafe, and I was accepted, but I don't know what the protocol was. When did you interview? Maybe people who interviewed later on will hear back a little bit later?
I interviewed on 1/18 which I think was the earliest date.

Oh okay I interviewed the week after you. idk then, but good luck! <33
I applied to Ferkauf and have not heard back about regarding my interview status. Does anyone know if they are inviting another cohort to interview for the adult PsyD program?

I applied to Ferkauf and have not heard back about regarding my interview status. Does anyone know if they are inviting another cohort to interview for the adult PsyD program?
Is adult PsyD the same as the clinical PsyD? I don't see them offering an adult program.

They told me that they were interviewing people for another 3-ish weeks, so if you haven't heard back yet, I don't know if you will at this point. But I don't know for sure, obviously! Good luck!

Hi everyone, I was just notified by my first choice PsyD program that I am on the waitlist as a high alternate. I know that it probably varies greatly by program and if other students accept or deny, but how likely is it that a "high alternate" may receive an offer? Additionally, is it considered poor etiquette to call and ask for a better idea of where I am on the list? Thanks for any advice. I'm super excited I wasn't outright rejected, but I am scared I will hold out hope for an offer that will never come and be crushed.
I am in the same boat! Someone please answer this :)

Has anyone heard from Pitt, UPenn, Penn State, or Drexel?

Anyone hear back from Southern Methodist? (after the interview)

Last edited:
Does anyone know what day the admissions committee from CUNY City College is meeting? I believe its next week but not sure when. Also, how did your interviews go? Mine wasn't anything like I expected!

Like many people in this process, I've been placed on an alternate list. Trying not to lose hope as this program was my top choice, and I've been told that I'm a 'high alternate.' With that being said, I'm reading the programs brochure and it references "CUDCP GUIDELINES FOR GRADUATE SCHOOL OFFERS AND ACCEPTANCES." In it, it states the following:

b. A reasonable designation of the student's position on the alternate list is encouraged (e.g., high, middle, or low on the alternate list.) If such designation is used, the operational definition of "high on the alternate list" is that, in a normal year, the student would receive an offer of admission (but not necessarily funding) prior to April 15 decision date.

Does anyone know anything more about this?

Like many people in this process, I've been placed on an alternate list. Trying not to lose hope as this program was my top choice, and I've been told that I'm a 'high alternate.' With that being said, I'm reading the programs brochure and it references "CUDCP GUIDELINES FOR GRADUATE SCHOOL OFFERS AND ACCEPTANCES." In it, it states the following:

b. A reasonable designation of the student's position on the alternate list is encouraged (e.g., high, middle, or low on the alternate list.) If such designation is used, the operational definition of "high on the alternate list" is that, in a normal year, the student would receive an offer of admission (but not necessarily funding) prior to April 15 decision date.

Don't know any more about this, but wow do I hope this is true, considering I am also a high alternate at my top program!!

Don’t lose hope!! I interviewed last week on Monday at my top choice program. Heard back Thursday night that I was the number 1 top alternate. Then just got the call Tuesday evening that I got accepted in! Believe me I thought I had no chance and it happened and I am still in awe. So please be patient because it can and will all work out!

y

I think, generally, high alternate means that you are either the POI’s second choice, so your spot is contingent on #1 saying no, or that you’re your POI’s first choice, but they were too low, priority wise, to get make a first round offer — If another POI exhausts their list of potential applicants, then other, lower priority faculty may be able to make an offer.

I wouldn’t read too much into the CUDCP description because I imagine that this is difficult to enforce and likely varies from program to program. If you’re holding multiple offers but would prefer a waitlist program, then you obviously have until 4/15 to deliberate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone who interviewed for the sdsu/ucsd jdp know when we should expect to hear back?

Has anyone heard from Pitt, UPenn, Penn State, or Drexel?

I know a few people who heard back a month or two ago from UPenn and Penn State. Sorry if that is bad news, and best of luck!

Does anyone know if Loyola University Maryland (PsyD program) is still sending out admission offers?

Where's everybody going?!