2017-2018 PhD/PsyD Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Adelphi University
Degree
: PhD
Type: Clinical
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: February 14

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
George Washington University (GWU)
Degree
Type: Clinical Psychology
Notified via: Website (just decided to check and decision was there). Generic rejection letter

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone who was put on the "high alternate for admission" list for UF hear anything yet?
I went through the application process last cycle. I was a high alternate at UF as well and ultimately did not receive an invite from them. From what I understand, UF extends very few invites to high alternates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all:

I'm new to this forum, and this is my first year applying for PsyD/PhD programs. I am coming from a different field with no psychology or mental health research experience, though my career has been in higher education and community development.

I am starting to feel like this has slightly made it impossible for me to be included when my grades, coursework in psych, work experience, recs say otherwise. That said - I understand the game, but perhaps I underestimated it :) So many eager students with much equally as high grades but better matches, I presume. I may look more like a risk on paper.

I applied to:
PCOM -PsyD
Drexel- PhD
Temple - PhD
Georgia State- PhD
Widener - PsyD
NYU (Counseling) - PhD
Northwestern - PhD

I was interviewed at PCOM in early January and accepted into their program.

Northwestern denied by email.

I am starting to think, based on these posts, that I should expect to be rejected from every other school since I would've heard by now if I had an interview? Is this true?

Hopeful, but not optimistic.

I really like PCOM's program - and it seems their internship placement has skyrocketed since just a few years ago-but am feeling like the debt may be insurmountable. Makes me feel like an MSW or MFT can accomplish the same goals -- but maybe I'm just being negative lol

Last edited:
Hi all:

I'm new to this forum, and this is my first year applying for PsyD/PhD programs. I am coming from a different field with no psychology or mental health research experience and I am starting to feel like this has slightly made it impossible for me to be included when my grades, coursework in psych, work experience, recs say otherwise. That said - I understand the game, but perhaps I underestimated it

I applied to:
PCOM -PsyD
Drexel- PhD
Temple - PhD
Georgia State- PhD
Widener - PsyD
NYU (Counseling) - PhD
Northwestern - PhD

I am starting to think, based on these posts, that I should expect to be rejected from every other school since I would've heard by now if I had an interview? Is this true?

I really like PCOM's program - and it seems their internship placement has skyrocketed since just a few years ago-but am feeling like the debt may be insurmountable. Makes me feel like an MSW or MFT can accomplish the same goals -- but maybe I'm just being negative lol

I understand this. I have the same questions and doubts myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went through the application process last cycle. I was a high alternate at UF as well and ultimately did not receive an invite from them. From what I understand, UF extends very few invites to high alternates.

Thank you for the information and I'm sorry it didn't work out with UF last round :/ Were you notified by email that you didn't receive an invitation from them?

Hi all:

I'm new to this forum, and this is my first year applying for PsyD/PhD programs. I am coming from a different field with no psychology or mental health research experience, though my career has been in higher education and community development.

I am starting to feel like this has slightly made it impossible for me to be included when my grades, coursework in psych, work experience, recs say otherwise. That said - I understand the game, but perhaps I underestimated it :) So many eager students with much equally as high grades but better matches, I presume. I may look more like a risk on paper.

I applied to:
PCOM -PsyD
Drexel- PhD
Temple - PhD
Georgia State- PhD
Widener - PsyD
NYU (Counseling) - PhD
Northwestern - PhD

I think that if your ultimate goal is to pursue a doctoral degree and that degree will best help you achieve your goals you should pursue it (maybe reapply next year if you feel PCOM isn't best fit?) but I work at a private practice as a psychometrician and there are many successful, thriving therapists here without doctoral degrees and instead MSW or LMHC. They do therapy and see just as many clients as some of the psychologists at the office. Just a different perspective for you!

Go with your gut here. No program is worth $100K+ debt. It's wiser to decline the offer and spend the next year or two getting some research experience so that you can get into a funded program, whether it's PsyD or PhD.

Edit: You and everyone else here deserve better than paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition alone for your degree. You are an asset and a colleague to your program and you should be treated that way. You should not be treated like a customer who is only kept on until you can't afford to pay anymore.

You also deserve better than large cohort sizes (often two to five times the size of funded programs) in unfunded programs, because you won't receive the mentorship and attention you deserve.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have information about Umass Boston? I'm wondering which POIs have sent invites and if invites are still coming. Thank you :)

Looks like Adelphi and Columbia are out and .. done (?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George Washington University (GWU)
Degree
Notified via: Website (just decided to check and decision was there). Generic rejection letter
Same. I wonder how many applicants they can accept. I have heard in the past they have very few spots in there program. Still disappointing.

Go with your gut here. No program is worth $100K+ debt. It's wiser to decline the offer and spend the next year or two getting some research experience so that you can get into a funded program, whether it's PsyD or PhD.

Edit: You and everyone else here deserve better than paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition alone for your degree. You are an asset and a colleague to your program and you should be treated that way. You should not be treated like a customer who is only kept on until you can't afford to pay anymore.

You also deserve better than large cohort sizes (often two to five times the size of funded programs) in unfunded programs, because you won't receive the mentorship and attention you deserve.

I appreciate your thoughts. I do feel like PhD programs, at least the ones I've seen, don't have the focus on clinical practice that I'd like - even though I do love research. PsyD program funding seems few and far between no?

Hi all:

I applied to:
PCOM -PsyD
Drexel- PhD
Temple - PhD
Georgia State- PhD
Widener - PsyD
NYU (Counseling) - PhD
Northwestern - PhD

Temple's are out :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate your thoughts. I do feel like PhD programs, at least the ones I've seen, don't have the focus on clinical practice that I'd like - even though I do love research. PsyD program funding seems few and far between no?

Reputable PsyDs (which are generally funded) are virtually the same as clinically balanced PhD programs in clinical emphasis.

Not all PsyD programs are funded, but I've found that ones housed in actual universities, as opposed to stand alone professional schools, usually provide funding. Rutgers provides funding, and William Paterson, which is still a new program, offers full tuition remission and a stipend to some of it's incoming cohort (which is also small and comparable to PhD cohorts.) You just have to look around and do your due diligence in researching potential programs you would be happy attending if accepted.

That dichotomy between PsyD=clinical practice vs. PhD=research/TT may have been true a couple of decades ago, but not anymore. Sure, there are a few PhD programs (I've heard the IU-Bloomington is like this) that look down on students going into careers that are even partially providing clinical services, but they are relatively rare. PhD programs in general are providing equal or greater training in clinical practice compared to PsyD programs. Just look at the APPIC match survey statistics.

Hell, my program is clinical science-oriented and one faculty member bluntly called out the BS that people say during admission interviews about not wanting a clinical career. Another faculty member told my cohort "Be honest about wanting to have a clinical career if its true, we can't kick you out now that you're already in the program."

I'm convinced that a major role in the maintenance of this false dichotomy is marketing by many of the unfunded professional schools. They need to create a functional role for themselves when their funding, large cohorts, and poor match statistics hurt their marketing.

Hey I have a question. So I have an interview coming up, and I just got the schedule of people I am being interviewed by. The initial invite was sent in a mass email, so I was a little worried that for some reason, I would not get my POI. But I am interviewing with them, thankfully. However, the email I was sent today with the schedule says "on behalf of Dr. ______" who is not who I wanted to work with. Does this mean that I am interviewing mainly for her to be my mentor instead, or am I probably still interviewing for the other person to be my mentor who I applied with, and everyone who received this schedule was sent on behalf of her?

Sorry if that sounds confusing. I hope that makes sense.

Hey I have a question. So I have an interview coming up, and I just got the schedule of people I am being interviewed by. The initial invite was sent in a mass email, so I was a little worried that for some reason, I would not get my POI. But I am interviewing with them, thankfully. However, the email I was sent today with the schedule says "on behalf of Dr. ______" who is not who I wanted to work with. Does this mean that I am interviewing mainly for her to be my mentor instead, or am I probably still interviewing for the other person to be my mentor who I applied with, and everyone who received this schedule was sent on behalf of her?

Sorry if that sounds confusing. I hope that makes sense.
Is this person the DCT?

Is this person the DCT?

They're not, which is why I'm confused. They study something completely different than what I applied for.

But at the same time, the email is sent from her (the "on behalf" of part was from the admissions office, I believe). And it sounds like a general email. At the end of it, it says "if you had hoped to meet with a specific faculty member who is not included on your schedule, you will have an opportunity at the reception." Which makes it seem like everyone got this email from her. But I'm not sure.

Do all interviews happen around same time? Do faculty schedule these at their convenience - so one POI might be a month off from another? I suppose it depends, but is an acceptance for one person's interview a bad sign for another?

Hi all:

I applied to:
PCOM -PsyD
Drexel- PhD
Temple - PhD
Georgia State- PhD
Widener - PsyD
NYU (Counseling) - PhD
Northwestern - PhD

What exactly are your goals? If you're primarily interested in clinical practice with little research then yeah, you could definitely save money and time by getting a master's in social work, mental health counseling, or family therapy. Depending on where you live, one of these degrees might be better for work or all 3 are equally as useful.

If you are interested in a combination of research and practice, then PhD or PsyD are both fine. You could accumulate debt in either type of program so definitely go for ones that are going to fund you at least partially if not fully (ideally fully). I know you said the WAMC post that you're 29 and time is a thing for you. As someone who is 29 and in the 1st year of a PhD program, I definitely understand the feeling, but if you are passionate about getting a doctorate then the time thing is secondary (albeit frustrating). That is at least how it was for me.

You haven't gotten a decision from anyone yet so don't lose hope! But if you do need to try again for next year definitely apply to a broader range of schools that are not located in major cities. Most of the places you applied to are highly competitive. NYU, for example, only accepts 2 students per year but gets over a 100 applicants (probably even 200) because it is in New York City. Temple and Drexel are also both highly competitive. I would recommend working on GRE scores, especially the quant, and increasing your research experience. BUT, as someone who has worked in mental health before my PhD, I can tell you that master's level clinicians are able to occupy a wide range of occupations so it's a viable and rewarding career as well.

Roosevelt University
Degree
: PsyD
Interview Date: Choice of February 16 or February 19

I'm really excited for this one!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey! I'm new to this forum, posting my interview invites so far...

School Name: Alliant International University
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/12/18
Degree: PsyD
Track: Health
Notified via: Phone call and email from admissions counselor
Interview Date: 1/22/18

School Name: Adler University
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/8/17
Notified via: Phone call from admissions counselor
Interview Date: 1/29/18

School Name: LIU Post
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/24/18
Notified via: Email from Assistant Director
Interview Date: 2/11/18
Additional Info: Offered Skype interview for out of state applicants

School Name: Chicago School of Professional Psychology
Date Interview Invite Received: Sometime in December, don’t remember exact date
Notified via: Email from admissions counselor
Interview Date: 1/29/18, 2/15/18, many other dates

School Name: Adelphi University
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/24/18
Degree: PhD
Notified via: Email from Graduate Studies Coordinator
Interview Date: 2/14/18

School Name: Illinois Institute of Technology
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/25/18
Degree: PhD
Type: Clinical, Rehabilitation Track
Notified via: Email from DCT
Interview Date: 3/2/18

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
School Name: Roosevelt University
Date Interview Invite Received:
1/25
Degree: Psy.D.
Track: Neuropsych
Notified via: email
Interview Date: 1/16 or 19
Additional Info:

Top choice!!

Reactions: 5 users
I didn't receive any further info either, but I called and they told me it looked like it was gonna be from 8-4:30, an individual interview and a group interview, and a campus tour. They hadn't finalized anything yet when I had called though. Hopefully well get info soon!
I wonder how many of us they’re interviewing and if that’s the only interview that we will do. This is my first time going through this process so I’m feeling my way through it.

Pacific University
Date Interview Invite Received:
Degree
Interview Date: February 26

School Name: SDSU/UCSD Joint Doctoral Program
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/28/2018
Degree
Track: Behavioral Medicine/Health Psychology
Notified via: Phone call and then follow up email (was not a mass email)
Interview Date: 2/19 (SDSU) and 2/20 (UCSD)
Additional Info:
Social event Monday night as well

So excited - this is my top choice!!!

A little confused how you heard back on the 28th considering today is the 26th lol, but since you posted tuesday, I'm assuming that's when you heard?

School Name: Northeastern University
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/25
Degree
Type: Counseling
Track:
Interview Date: 2/16
Additional Info:
student social scheduled for the night before!

A little confused how you heard back on the 28th considering today is the 26th lol, but since you posted tuesday, I'm assuming that's when you heard?

Yes, I heard on Tuesday the 23rd - it was a typo and by the time I saw it I no longer had the option to edit the original post.

School Name: Roosevelt University
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/25
Degree
Track:
Interview Date: 2/16 or 2/19
Additional Info:

School Name: UTSW Dallas
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/26
Degree
:
PhD
Track:
Interview Date: 2/24
Additional Info:
student social night before and night after. top choice!! very excited

Has anyone heard from the PGSP Stanford Consortium?
I saw that one round of interviews went out since someone posted on grad care, but I haven’t seen anything else

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the following programs are still sending invites:

University of Hartford
Umass Boston
U Rhode Island
Boston University

I'm trying to make travel plans for other interviews. I called them all this morning and couldn't get through to anyone! Thanks in advance.

Hello all,

This is my first year applying to Ph.D./Psy.D. programs. I am restricted to applying only to New York schools because of my husband's residency programs and our son on the way...

If I haven't heard back from most schools by now, is this a bad sign? I have a masters degree in professional counseling and psychology and extensive research and clinical experience....would appreciate any insight. Thank you!

Just wondering - if we aren't hearing back from one way or another, do we assume we are out of the running at this point? Or, is there an initial round of interviews and a second or third? is it based on faculty availability?

Just wondering - if we aren't hearing back from one way or another, do we assume we are out of the running at this point? Or, is there an initial round of interviews and a second or third? is it based on faculty availability?

This is purely from my own experience, but I believe most schools invite multiple applicants per PI and then make their choices (i.e., a first pick, second pick, etc).

You might check the CUDCUP interview calendar if you haven’t already. If the interview date has past or is quickly approaching, it’s probably fair to assume you might not be invited to interview.

I’m sure there are always exceptions, though. It’s a stressful process - I fully understand!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you for the information and I'm sorry it didn't work out with UF last round :/ Were you notified by email that you didn't receive an invitation from them?
Sometime around the April 1st deadline I got an official rejection email from them. No need to feel sorry for me I'm at a different doctoral program that is also a great fit for me!

Has anyone heard from the clinical psychology Ph.D. programs at USC, University of Washington (Seattle), or Tufts?

Has anyone heard from the clinical psychology Ph.D. programs at USC, University of Washington (Seattle), or Tufts?
USC had their interview weekend already. It was last week.. Good luck with the others! Im also waiting on University of Washington.

Does anyone know if Rutgers' Psy.D. has sent out all the invites? I saw two people posting on TGC today...

Right now is such a weird time period because some schools are sending actual acceptances and others are still sending interview offers :arghh:

Called and asked -- All invites went out yesterday for Rutgers

Overall, I'd like to get advice. I applied this year to 8 schools. My plan was to apply for 15 but I ended up slashing that number in half to focus on schools that had a good research match for me and that I could reasonably complete before the deadline.
GPA: 3.3, 3 years of Undergrad research experience, Thesis with undergrad mentor, 7 years of post-undergrad research experience in clinical and research organizations for TBI and PTSD, 1 poster presentation award, 11 poster presentations, 2 publications - co-author, 3 letters of recommendation from research psychologists. My GRE, I think was my downfall; I was doing well during the practice tests with scoring 160 in verbal and 150 in Quantitative, but on testing day I got 145 Q and 150 verbal. I would like some advice for next year's application cycle. I think increasing my test scores may help, but any other constructive advice would be appreciated! Thank you :)

Overall, I'd like to get advice. I applied this year to 8 schools. My plan was to apply for 15 but I ended up slashing that number in half to focus on schools that had a good research match for me and that I could reasonably complete before the deadline.
GPA: 3.3, 3 years of Undergrad research experience, Thesis with undergrad mentor, 7 years of post-undergrad research experience in clinical and research organizations for TBI and PTSD, 1 poster presentation award, 11 poster presentations, 2 publications - co-author, 3 letters of recommendation from research psychologists. My GRE, I think was my downfall; I was doing well during the practice tests with scoring 160 in verbal and 150 in Quantitative, but on testing day I got 145 Q and 150 verbal. I would like some advice for next year's application cycle. I think increasing my test scores may help, but any other constructive advice would be appreciated! Thank you :)
It looks like you have the research side very well covered, so the main variables impeding your progress are likely your GRE scores, GPA, and application style. These issues are very fixable.

You definitely need to retake the GRE. Since there's such a large disparity between your practice and official scores, you need to look into why this is happening. Maybe you should try different practice tests to see if the ones you took were overestimating your performance. Barring that, scrutinize your test-taking style. Do you get anxious while taking the test? Do you run out of time before finishing the tests? Are there certain areas in which you are weaker than others and should spend more time studying and more time completing during the test? Conversely, should you focus on your strengths and maximize your scores in those areas to make up for your weaker areas? Are standardized tests just not your "thing," not matching your achievement in other areas, e.g., research?

For your GPA, it's not terrible, by any means, but even if you improve your GRE score, it may still hold you back. One solution would be to attend a terminal master's program, especially if it involves completing a research thesis. Through completing one of these programs, you demonstrate your aptitude at graduate-level coursework and get even more research experience than you already have.

Once you have these covered, you're left with you application style. Applying to eight programs is not bad, but your original plan for 15 would likely have helped. You didn't mention this in your post, but if you didn't diversify the programs to which you applied, that should be the next step. You want your applications to be diverse in terms of geography—don't just apply to the coasts and other very popular areas—and selectiveness (look up program stats and spread your applications across various acceptance rates).

Beyond applying to more programs and with more diversity, focus on your letters of recommendation (LOR) and personal statements. Your LOR's should be absolutely glowing, not just "good." This is where doing a master's program and forming relationships with more faculty members can help if you don't already have great LORs. For your personal statements, have multiple people proofread them, though not just for grammar and punctuation. Make sure your statements don't commit the "Kisses of Death," but also make sure you strike the right balance of personal vs. professional. You don't want a generic statement that looks like everyone else's, but it should also be professional and well-crafted.

Good luck!

If you retake the GRE, I highly recommend Magoosh! It really helped me increase my Quant score. It's a little expensive but I'm pretty sure they do some sort of refund if your scores don't go up after using it.

If you retake the GRE, I highly recommend Magoosh! It really helped me increase my Quant score. It's a little expensive but I'm pretty sure they do some sort of refund if your scores don't go up after using it.
I used Manhattan prep and really enjoyed it. The reading comp is helpful for the directions alone, e.g, don't (over)interpret, find explicit evidence in the text to support your answer.

Find what works best for you. I HATED MAGOOSH! It did not help me at all and actually lowered my confidence going into the test and made me feel far less prepared than I was. I used Kaplan, and it improved my verbal 8 points and quant 7 points from my initial practice test. Try out some programs and find whichever option you think will help you improve your scores the most. Good luck!