2017-2018 PhD/PsyD Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are times when people on this page can be super rude. But this really isn't one of those times. No one's telling you not to make whatever choices you want, but there are a ton of people that take on hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of debt for a program they trust will get them good results, spend years pouring themselves into it, only to find out they can't get an internship, can't get a phD, and can't get a job. Most probably had no idea what they were getting themselves into, and were misled by a program that took advantage of them, and are now shackled with a debt they have no reasonable way of paying back.

You're free to make whatever choice you want. You can restrict yourself geographically if that's what you need to do, but there's nothing wrong with someone telling you that it hurts your chances, because statistically it does. You can accept a program with a dismal match rate if you want, but there's nothing wrong with someone warning you of the risks ESPECIALLY since many people take on that risk without really understanding the consequences. You're not the only one that reads these posts. If a comment that comes off as rude to you, prevents someone else from making a decision that will completely cripple their life and careers, then it's worth it from my perspective. Too many people waste their youth on programs that will do nothing for them, and people sending out reminders that there is a high risk of being unemployable at many of these programs can help prevent that from happening for them. This whole forum isn't just for you. (I'll add that I was looking at a program that was unfunded with poor match rates and I am grateful I had a Professor explain to me why it would be such a bad idea. These people aren't just trying to squash your dreams because it sounds fun, they have actually seen people walk into these traps before and been seriously hurt for it. Why wouldn't you want them to explain the risks to clients/ students?)
Well, that's two now.

Members don't see this ad.

Looking back at some of the other comments you have posted on other threads (and individuals responding to said comments) proved my point! It doesn’t seem to just be me that thinks you are being rude!

The only reason why I am even responding to you is my fear of you talking to patients OR future students (if you plan to be a professor) in this way some day (I don’t know your background, which concentration of psych. you are in)... if it is clinical and you plan to practice - PLEASE take some time to actually learn about how your words, tone, actions effect the emotions of others. It takes a certain type of individual to practice and it is clear this is not for you.

I am not emotionally fragile or sensitive for speaking up to you. I have a lot more experience in this field than you probably realize. It is important in the field of clinical science in general - even if you are just doing research and not planning to practice, to understand people and how they are influenced by situations and others. Nothing occurs in a bubble.

I’m happy that you didn’t have much trouble moving away from home for your schooling, but that is not the case for everyone. I have two dying grandparents and other immediate family members I want to be close to. I applied to schools that fit my interests and past experiences in the region I want to be in. You have to understand people are different, people see the world differently than you do and are not as emotionally resilient to situations as you are or may have been in the past.
And I'm the one being called rude?

There are times when people on this page can be super rude. But this really isn't one of those times. No one's telling you not to make whatever choices you want, but there are a ton of people that take on hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of debt for a program they trust will get them good results, spend years pouring themselves into it, only to find out they can't get an internship, can't get a phD, and can't get a job. Most probably had no idea what they were getting themselves into, and were misled by a program that took advantage of them, and are now shackled with a debt they have no reasonable way of paying back.

You're free to make whatever choice you want. You can restrict yourself geographically if that's what you need to do, but there's nothing wrong with someone telling you that it hurts your chances, because statistically it does. You can accept a program with a dismal match rate if you want, but there's nothing wrong with someone warning you of the risks ESPECIALLY since many people take on that risk without really understanding the consequences. You're not the only one that reads these posts. If a comment that comes off as rude to you, prevents someone else from making a decision that will completely cripple their life and careers, then it's worth it from my perspective. Too many people waste their youth on programs that will do nothing for them, and people sending out reminders that there is a high risk of being unemployable at many of these programs can help prevent that from happening for them. This whole forum isn't just for you. (I'll add that I was looking at a program that was unfunded with poor match rates and I am grateful I had a Professor explain to me why it would be such a bad idea. These people aren't just trying to squash your dreams because it sounds fun, they have actually seen people walk into these traps before and been seriously hurt for it. Why wouldn't you want them to explain the risks to clients/ students?)
And I'm the one being called rude?

I completely understand trying to give someone advice in this situation, as I have given others applying to graduate school advice as well, however, the way you have come across on other forums and this one - when giving advice - has been rude in my opinion. As I have learned, there is a way to give advice to people (clients/students etc.) or tell them what they need to hear, that does not belittle them.

I know this forum is not just for me and that giving advice is necessary for everyone’s professional developments. In my own opinion, he or she had come across as rude, granted I am sorry for coming acrosss as rude, as well.

If your intentions are truly to give advice and be helpful - then that’s great and I thank you. I was just taken aback by the way your tone had come across when giving advice to others, and myself, and I wanted to speak out and voice my opinion. I’m done talking about this, I’m done posting here.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I completely understand trying to give someone advice in this situation, as I have given others applying to graduate school advice as well, however, the way you have come across on other forums and this one - when giving advice - has been rude in my opinion. As I have learned, there is a way to give advice to people (clients/students etc.) or tell them what they need to hear, that does not belittle them.

I know this forum is not just for me and that giving advice is necessary for everyone’s professional developments. In my own opinion, he or she had come across as rude, granted I am sorry for coming acrosss as rude, as well.

Let's take another look, shall we?

It takes a certain type of individual to practice and it is clear this is not for you.

That's not "coming across as rude," it's clearly an insult aimed at me and my skills at communicating with others, which you extrapolate to mean that being a clinician is not for me.

If your intentions are truly to give advice and be helpful - then that’s great and I thank you. I was just taken aback by the way your tone had come across when giving advice to others, and myself, and I wanted to speak out and voice my opinion. I’m done talking about this, I’m done posting here.
Huh, what a fun escape clause to have after getting called out for being explicitly insulting.

Bottom line: If you're posting on forums, you're going to get varied opinions and responses. And, because emails, texting, etc. are impersonal and prone to being mistranslated, it's the responsibility of parties to be conscientious of the way they write, reply to comments, and how they may come off through tone and language. On the other hand, it's also the responsibility of the person reading the response to be cognizant that it is an online forum where if you post something it could possibly be scrutinized (either constructively or not). So, if you're going to post something you should be prepared for how someone may respond. However, if you do get offended or feel slighted by what someone says in some way, to take their perceived criticism with a grain of salt and remember that no one knows you or your situation better than YOU.

Reactions: 5 users
Huh, what a fun escape clause to have after getting called out for being explicitly insulting.

Future aspiring psychologists: witness how to be a terrible clinician and mentor. Don't follow psych.meout's example on this thread.

Reactions: 6 users
You kids done now? Do we have to end recess early?
Yes, can we go back to treating this like an internet forum instead of pretending it's a practicum supervision session?

Reactions: 2 users
Hard to do these days of Feels over Reals. But anyway, when the posters who exist merely for hypocritically criticizing criticism come out of the woodwork, you know the thread is going off the rails. We can debate the inherent terribleness of some programs all day, but let's do it in other threads. This thread exists as an interview invite thread. We generally keep these threads somewhat pure in terms of notifications and such.

Reactions: 4 users
In other news, does anyone happen to know when the St. Johns interview dates will be? I don't want to make travel arrangements to another interview until I know they don't conflict.

In other news, does anyone happen to know when the St. Johns interview dates will be? I don't want to make travel arrangements to another interview until I know they don't conflict.

Also wondering when interview notifications will be going out for St. John's! I haven't heard anything yet

Does anyone know if all of the Boston University invites for interviews went out already?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard anything about William Paterson's PsyD program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting on SDSU/UCSD, Washington, Utah, and UCF. Has anyone heard from or seen that others have heard from those schools?

Edit: I applied to the Clinical PhD programs at those schools

Still waiting on SDSU/UCSD, Washington, Utah, and UCF. Has anyone heard from or seen that others have heard from those schools?

No, but I got an email from UCSD/SDSU last week that they're looking at applicants now and will be sending out invites by end of January, but that you will definitely get an email either way.

School Name: University of Indianapolis
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/19/18
Degree: PsyD
Type: Clinical
Notified via: E-mail
Interview Date: Feb 2
Additional Info:

School Name:
Wright State SOPP
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/16/18
Degree: PsyD
Notified via: E-mail
Interview Date: February 9 or Feb 3
Additional Info:
I got an invite from wright state SOPP and I filled out the survey. Still waiting to hear back about directions and a solid date and time to arrive. Did you have to send a separate email? All I did was fill out the survey.

University of Washington? I had a Skype interview with my POI and was told she's recommending me for an in-person interview but it won't be official until the admissions committee approves it. Not sure if all POIs are going through a similar process, though.

University of Washington? I had a Skype interview with my POI and was told she's recommending me for an in-person interview but it won't be official until the admissions committee approves it. Not sure if all POIs are going through a similar process, though.

Ahh but we have similar research interests so it's probably the same POI haha. Oh well! Thanks and good luck!

No, but I got an email from UCSD/SDSU last week that they're looking at applicants now and will be sending out invites by end of January, but that you will definitely get an email either way.

Yeah I got that email too. I'm just being impatient hahaha. Thanks!

Ahh but we have similar research interests so it's probably the same POI haha. Oh well! Thanks and good luck!

Yeah I got that email too. I'm just being impatient hahaha. Thanks!
hahah I understand, I just want to know already from these schools.... -_-

pretty sure all of Utahs have gone out.

I got an invite from wright state SOPP and I filled out the survey. Still waiting to hear back about directions and a solid date and time to arrive. Did you have to send a separate email? All I did was fill out the survey.

I didn't apply to Wright State (but I did get my undergrad there if you have questions about Dayton or campus) but I know for UIndy they didn't get me directions or exact time/schedule until about a week before the interview and I filled out a survey as well. So I wouldn't be worried! I'm sure you could always send them a quick email as well

Still waiting on American Clinical PhD and GW PsyD (I know some invites have gone out for GW, but I'm still hopeful)... Anyone know anything? I think my email refresh button is going to cut me off.

Still waiting on American Clinical PhD and GW PsyD (I know some invites have gone out for GW, but I'm still hopeful)... Anyone know anything? I think my email refresh button is going to cut me off.

Same boat. Waiting for both. It’s my understanding GW is still sending our invites, but I am not 100% sure. I haven’t seen anyone post about American anywhere so there’s still hope!

Has anyone heard from Emory, Duke or St. Louis? All clinical psych programs

True - her lab is pretty competitive to get into, I've heard, so I was surprised I'd even made it this far! Thanks, good luck to you as well. :)

I just got a mass email from American stating they are sending out invites in the next two weeks, and not all invites will be sent on the same day. Interviews will be on 2/15 and 2/16.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if all of the Boston University invites for interviews went out already?
I don’t think BU has sent invites out yet. I keep checking Grad Cafe’s survey and there have does not seem to be anyone posting yet! Hopefully next week?

Saw someone posted about Teacher's College -Columbia this morning on TGC. I'm not sure if it was a mass email or POI invite. Anyone hear anything about Teacher's college?

I don’t think BU has sent invites out yet. I keep checking Grad Cafe’s survey and there have does not seem to be anyone posting yet! Hopefully next week?

I'd look again. It appears most (if not all) were sent out late last week.

I'd look again. It appears most (if not all) were sent out late last week.
Oh no! Where did you see that? I searched it on the grad cafe survey page and didn’t see anything. Am I missing it maybe?

How many people are you typically interviewed by? I heard its like, 7-9. Is that true? That's only a bit scary...

School Name: SDSU/UCSD Joint Doctoral Program
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/28/2018
Degree
: PhD
Type: Clinical Psychology
Track: Behavioral Medicine/Health Psychology
Notified via: Phone call and then follow up email (was not a mass email)
Interview Date: 2/19 (SDSU) and 2/20 (UCSD)
Additional Info:
Social event Monday night as well

So excited - this is my top choice!!!

St. John's interviews are super late. They don't happen until early march and they don't notify you until early February.

School Name: SDSU/UCSD Joint Doctoral Program
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/28/2018
Degree
Type: Clinical Psychology
Track: Behavioral Medicine/Health Psychology
Notified via: Phone call and then follow up email (was not a mass email)
Interview Date: 2/19 (SDSU) and 2/20 (UCSD)
Additional Info:
Social event Monday night as well

So excited - this is my top choice!!!

Congrats! Would you mind sharing/PMing your PoI?

Has anyone who was put on the "high alternate for admission" list for UF hear anything yet?

TBH I still keep refreshing my inbox juuuuuuuust in case.

Hey! If you received the email from Northwestern this morning, did it include an offer to transfer your application to the MA program? Do you think that's part of the form email?

I just got a mass email from American stating they are sending out invites in the next two weeks, and not all invites will be sent on the same day. Interviews will be on 2/15 and 2/16.

I got the same email. I'm just starting to get worried about making travel and work arrangements on short notice. If they want me, there's nothing that'll stop me from being there, but it is going to get difficult pretty soon :/

Drexel University
Degree
Track: adult
Notified via: phone call
Interview Date: February 1-2
Additional Info: dinner the night before

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! If you received the email from Northwestern this morning, did it include an offer to transfer your application to the MA program? Do you think that's part of the form email?
Yeah I believe that’s part of the form. It’s a fairly new MA program so I’m sure they’re still trying to advertise as much as possible and rejected PhD applicants are a good source for that haha

I didn't receive any further info either, but I called and they told me it looked like it was gonna be from 8-4:30, an individual interview and a group interview, and a campus tour. They hadn't finalized anything yet when I had called though. Hopefully well get info soon!

DePaul University
Degree
Track: community
Notified via: departmental email
Interview Date: February 12
Additional Info: Super excited because I thought invites were all out! I assume they had a waitlist they're going through now, so if you haven't heard anything I guess there's still some hope :)

Reactions: 1 users
University of La Verne
Degree
: PsyD
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: February 12 choice of February 9, February 16, February 23