2017-2018 PhD/PsyD Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from Auburn's Counseling Psychology program yet?

Also, GA Southern's clinical PsyD program invites are going out next week!

Not yet, We also are having a snow day and the university is currently shut down, so might be just a little longer!

Members don't see this ad.

My friend said that it was not a mass email! Did you hear anything?? Good luck!

I have not yet! Thanks for telling me! No rejection email either, which I’ve seen that those have gone out. Could be in that no mans land lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
School Name: University of New Mexico
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/17/18
Degree: PhD
Type: Clinical
Notified via: Phone
Interview Date: February 9, 2018
Additional Info: It was a personal call, so other professors may still be giving invites later

School Name: University of New Mexico
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/17/18
Degree: PhD
Notified via: Phone
Interview Date: February 9, 2018
Additional Info: It was a personal call, so other professors may still be giving invites later
Congratulations!!!!

Has anyone heard from Stanford Phd? I saw two posts on TGC and was wondering if anyone else has heard. I was really hoping for an interview from a particular PI since I had a chat with her and got to visit their lab previously. :(

Has anyone heard from these schools yet??

Case Western
Kent State
Ohio State
Miami (Oxford)
U of Pittsburgh
U of Rochester

I’m dying waiting

Case Western
Kent State
Ohio State
Miami (Oxford)
U of Pittsburgh
U of Rochester

I’m dying waiting
Pittsburgh went out.

Pittsburgh went out.

I called Pitt on Tuesday and they mentioned that interview notifications would most likely be sent out at the end of January- I saw some posts on TGC and on here though so I assumed they had already went out as well

I am a bit confused because over the past few days I have seen people post on TGC about getting rejection emails from certain schools I applied to but I have not received neither rejection emails or interview emails either from them? Could it really be that I am just in the "alternate/wait list" for interviews for that many schools?

Members don't see this ad :)

Case Western
Kent State
Ohio State
Miami (Oxford)
U of Pittsburgh
U of Rochester

I’m dying waiting

Ohio State invites have gone out

I am a bit confused because over the past few days I have seen people post on TGC about getting rejection emails from certain schools I applied to but I have not received neither rejection emails or interview emails either from them? Could it really be that I am just in the "alternate/wait list" for interviews for that many schools?
I’m in the exact same boat and it sucks! I think if by February we haven’t heard anything, take it as a probable rejection I guess..

Reactions: 1 users

I am in the same boat! “No mans land”

I am in the same boat! “No mans land”

ME TOO, for one school (GA Southern). You know what is interesting, though? I have posted about Auburn's Counseling Psychology program a few times, and I have seen NO one talking about it except for me this cycle. Wonder what is going on! They're supposed to be sending invites soon.

School Name: George Washington University
Date Interview Invite Received: 01/17
Degree: PsyD
Track: N/A
Notified via: mass email
Interview Date: options of 1/26, 2/2, 2/9

Would you mind messaging me what your GRE scores and GPA were? I'm still waiting to hear back and am trying to see if I still have a chance.

Would you mind messaging me what your GRE scores and GPA were? I'm still waiting to hear back and am trying to see if I still have a chance.
It would probably be more helpful to look at the admissions stats the program posted on its website than looking at this n=1.

School Name: Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology (Yeshiva University)
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/18/2017
Degree: PsyD
Type: Clinical Psychology
Track: Adult
Notified via: Email, looks like a mass email, but with my name at the top
Interview Date: 1/25
Additional Info: n/a

It would probably be more helpful to look at the admissions stats the program posted on its website than looking at this n=1.
I wasn’t able to find any of that online myself. Do you know where it is on their website? I am also waiting to hear from them.

I wasn’t able to find any of that online myself. Do you know where it is on their website? I am also waiting to hear from them.
Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data | Professional Psychology Program | The George Washington University

I think it's a CUDCP requirement for programs to post this info on the home pages of their websites.

Edit: Just looked at the page and it looks like they didn't post much about the admission stats, which isn't very heartening to me.

More importantly, their internship match rate is quite alarming.

Does anyone know how competitive American is? I know (at least I think I know) that they have not sent out any invites yet, but I haven't been able to find any data on their admissions page about typical number of applicants and stuff like that.

I’m in the exact same boat and it sucks! I think if by February we haven’t heard anything, take it as a probable rejection I guess..

In the past when I’ve applied, I never got these early rejection emails. It wasn’t until like March that they felt the need to be like “oh btw you didn’t get in.”

Idk why I wouldn’t get interviews this time, what are they looking for

Are any of the people from TGC on here that posted about Boston University? Was it a general email or from PI? Congratulations by the way!

On Grad Cafe, someone said they already got into Widener got a phone call. He/She interviewed the same day I did but they told us we would hear back in 2-3 weeks instead. The person said it was her top choice, so it makes sense.

Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data | Professional Psychology Program | The George Washington University

I think it's a CUDCP requirement for programs to post this info on the home pages of their websites.

Edit: Just looked at the page and it looks like they didn't post much about the admission stats, which isn't very heartening to me.

More importantly, their internship match rate is quite alarming.

I actually asked about their match rate issues from a few years ago and was given information that sounded plausible. I did get into their MA for forensic psych, so I have that in my back pocket at least.

I actually asked about their match rate issues from a few years ago and was given information that sounded plausible. I did get into their MA for forensic psych, so I have that in my back pocket at least.
And what was this "plausible" explanation for a match rate <60% for every year documented before the past two years, which aren't all that great either, being <80%?

To offer a reference point, every program at which I interviewed had >90% match rate for at least the past ten years.

In the past when I’ve applied, I never got these early rejection emails. It wasn’t until like March that they felt the need to be like “oh btw you didn’t get in.”

Idk why I wouldn’t get interviews this time, what are they looking for
I’ve gotten 2 rejections so far. My undergrad GPA was 3.4 but my grad GPA is a 3.96, 161/161/4 on GRE, 2 publications, 2 research awards, 2 Ivy League internships, top letters of Rec from prominent leaders in my field of interest. I haven’t been invited to interview at any of my schools. Not sure what plan B should be. Any ideas?

And what was this "plausible" explanation for a match rate <60% for every year documented before the past two years, which aren't all that great either, being <80%?

To offer a reference point, every program at which I interviewed had >90% match rate for at least the past ten years.

Thanks for your opinion. You can ask the program yourself if you have questions. I asked because of the concern and I was satisfied with the answer. Is it he highest match rate? No, but I have also seen PhD programs with low match rates. And I don’t think the rate is super low. I applied to others with higher match rates too, of course, but if I get in I will choose what is best for me and my situation.

I think your tone to people interested in PsyDs is pretty rude sometimes. I don’t really want to discuss it with you anymore. We all have different wants/needs in programs and it helps no one to be judgmental. Thanks!

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for your opinion. You can ask the program yourself if you have questions. I asked because of the concern and I was satisfied with the answer. Is it he highest match rate? No, but I have also seen PhD programs with low match rates. And I don’t think the rate is super low. I applied to others with higher match rates too, of course, but if I get in I will choose what is best for me and my situation.

I think your tone to people interested in PsyDs is pretty rude sometimes. I don’t really want to discuss it with you anymore. We all have different wants/needs in programs and it helps no one to be judgmental. Thanks!

You have to pick the program that’s best for you. Ultimately you’re going to be the one who is attending the program and making the most of it. Good for you for knowing what you want out of it even if it isn’t for anyone else. Good luck with interviews and your final choice! :)

Reactions: 5 users
I’ve gotten 2 rejections so far. My undergrad GPA was 3.4 but my grad GPA is a 3.96, 161/161/4 on GRE, 2 publications, 2 research awards, 2 Ivy League internships, top letters of Rec from prominent leaders in my field of interest. I haven’t been invited to interview at any of my schools. Not sure what plan B should be. Any ideas?

I personally plan to look at research coordinator positions

Sure is a tough business.

I just graduated from their MA forensic psych program and L O V E D it. One of the reasons I applied to the PsyD. About three of the professors are graduates from GW PsyD and I loved how professional, thoughtful, and successful they were and upon talking to them and hearing about how and why they chose the PsyD sold me.

I personally plan to look at research coordinator positions
S
Sometimes it’s more about fit and connections than it is qualifications and experience. Do you know any of the advisors you applied to work with?

Reactions: 3 users
I just graduated from their MA forensic psych program and L O V E D it. One of the reasons I applied to the PsyD. About three of the professors are graduates from GW PsyD and I loved how professional, thoughtful, and successful they were and upon talking to them and hearing about how and why they chose the PsyD sold me.

Awesome to hear someone who went through the program! The classes sound really great! Obviously, I’d like to get into a doctoral program, but if I don’t this is a good choice!

Reactions: 2 users
S

Sometimes it’s more about fit and connections than it is qualifications and experience. Do you know any of the advisors you applied to work with?
I agree with this! I've had the most luck so far at schools in my state where people know my supervisor and the private practice where I work.

Also, the Insiders Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology book was super helpful to find schools that I had a realistic chance at. It's lists every school, their research and clinical focuses, and stats for previous applicants.

Thanks for your opinion. You can ask the program yourself if you have questions. I asked because of the concern and I was satisfied with the answer.

And this answer was...? Why are being so cryptic about it if it's satisfactory?

Is it he highest match rate? No, but I have also seen PhD programs with low match rates.

And I wouldn't endorse those PhD programs either.

And I don’t think the rate is super low.

And you'd be wrong.

I applied to others with higher match rates too, of course, but if I get in I will choose what is best for me and my situation.

I'm not disputing the importance of fit in grad school. I'm talking about the singularly important event in your career outside of actually attending graduate school. Without an accredited internship, you close off many career avenues and significantly limit your options and earnings for your entire life. Therefore, whether you get an accredited internship shouldn't be in so much doubt that the probability of getting one is analogous to a coin flip. The internship process is difficult and harrowing enough without having to also fight against the poor reputation and inferior training of your program.

I think your tone to people interested in PsyDs is pretty rude sometimes.

When you can't argue the facts, complain about tone.

I don’t really want to discuss it with you anymore. We all have different wants/needs in programs and it helps no one to be judgmental. Thanks!

It's not about being "judgemental," it's about helping people avoid expensive, consequential mistakes.

Ad

You're not wrong. I looked at all the averages on their page, but I was more or less curious as to the specifics on an individual. Granted, it's difficult to make comparisons with people given the disparity in experience.

Ad

You're not wrong. I looked at all the averages on their page, but I was more or less curious as to the specifics on an individual. Granted, it's difficult to make comparisons with people given the disparity in experience.
Exactly. There's so much variance between individuals that it's not really useful to compare. I know it's a stressful time and it's normal to seek information like this for reassurance.

Exactly. There's so much variance between individuals that it's not really useful to compare. I know it's a stressful time and it's normal to seek information like this for reassurance.

It's a little disheartening to see so many people discussing masters programs and publications, because I haven't done any grad school. I've spent eight plus years in the Navy working in intel analysis, and I think many of the skill sets I've learned are transferable but that's a matter of opinion. I had good GRE scores, at or well above the averages for all programs I applied for. I have two interviews, but I was really interested in GWU due to the location. I also just really dislike waiting games.

Reactions: 3 users
This may not be the right career for you, then. :)

I've known many impatient psychologists. And they work on it. I'm impatient myself. Is this the right career path for me? Absolutely. This person is disheartened. I'd like to think others would understand this and perhaps suggest calming techniques or something.

Last edited:
It's a little disheartening to see so many people discussing masters programs and publications, because I haven't done any grad school. I've spent eight plus years in the Navy working in intel analysis, and I think many of the skill sets I've learned are transferable but that's a matter of opinion. I had good GRE scores, at or well above the averages for all programs I applied for. I have two interviews, but I was really interested in GWU due to the location. I also just really dislike waiting games.
I only had my bachelor's degree and no pubs or posters, but I received three admission offers for fully funded programs. The admissions process is a lot more ambiguous than you'd think our hope.

I understand how you feel. The waiting is very hard. I’ve only heard from one program so far, the masters. I haven’t been rejected from any of the others I applied to so far but it’s hard to see so many others getting interviews and hearing nothing. I hope we both hear something soon!

Eh, I've known many impatient psychologist. And they work on it. I'm impatient myself. Is this the right career path for me? Absolutely. This person is disheartened. I'd like to think future psychologists would understand this and perhaps suggest calming techniques or something.

It was a light-hearted comment. But this career has a lot of waiting involved. Best to learn how to del with it earlier rather than later.

It was a light-hearted comment. But this career has a lot of waiting involved. Best to learn how to del with it earlier rather than later.

Haha, whoops! I saw someone discrediting her opinions in what seemed to be a harsh manner before and I thought it was you. My apologies. :)