2017-2018 PhD/PsyD Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
School Name: USUHS
Date Interview Invite Received: 01/19/2017
Degree
: PhD
Type: Clinical - Military Track
Notified via: Email

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
It was a light-hearted comment. But this career has a lot of waiting involved. Best to learn how to del with it earlier rather than later.

I am well equipped on waiting. The military is literally an extended exercise on waiting games. Haha. You can excel at something and still not like every aspect of it.

I am well equipped on waiting. The military is literally an extended exercise on waiting games. Haha. You can excel at something and still not like every aspect of it.

Very true. I would just say that it is more crucial than anything at earlier stages of training. I.e, better to wait on reputable, well-funded opportunities for grad school/internship/postdoc than go with the most expedient option at times. Most people don't think about many crucial issues until they are >6 figures in debt with limited job prospects. Waiting can be the hardest part but can reap the more bountiful rewards.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Heard from USUHS today that I am unlikely to get extended an interview. Not totally surprised as I don't think I was the best fit for any of the POIs there. Email was nice and invited me to inquire about feedback of my application. I will most likely do so, as it can only help me if I need to/decide to go through another application cycle.

1ADB820D-4B5D-4071-B6CF-4DC569037175-1313-0000004871F87A08.jpeg
waiting process has us like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users
Haha, whoops! I saw someone discrediting her opinions in what seemed to be a harsh manner before and I thought it was you. My apologies. :)
I'm not "harsh," the facts are. You know who is really "harsh?" The companies that own your education loans when you have six figures of debt and can't pay them, because you can't get a good paying job after you couldn't match to an accredited internship site.

Does anyone know how competitive American is? I know (at least I think I know) that they have not sent out any invites yet, but I haven't been able to find any data on their admissions page about typical number of applicants and stuff like that.

I'm waiting for American too... There really is so little info about what to expect, so I'm trying not to hold my breath :/

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your opinion. You can ask the program yourself if you have questions. I asked because of the concern and I was satisfied with the answer. Is it he highest match rate? No, but I have also seen PhD programs with low match rates. And I don’t think the rate is super low. I applied to others with higher match rates too, of course, but if I get in I will choose what is best for me and my situation.

I think your tone to people interested in PsyDs is pretty rude sometimes. I don’t really want to discuss it with you anymore. We all have different wants/needs in programs and it helps no one to be judgmental. Thanks!

The issue is that you only applied to six programs and you geographically limited your applications to the Northeast. Even the most competitive applicants can hamstring their chances by doing this.

I would like to reference what you said to me as well. I wasn’t even going to reply to you but seeing the past few comments, I thought I would share my thoughts as well. How dare you act cocky and rude. We are all under intense amounts of stress already as it is. The reason why I chose to apply in the north is because I live here, I have family here, this is where I want to stay and the programs I applied to are all good fits for me and they are a good range of reach schools and average schools. No one deserves to have be talked down to the way you have been in this forum. We are all in the same boat here. We should be boosting ourselves up rather than being harsh.

Last edited:
Come now everyone, let's play nicely. Also some of the best doctors I know are A-holes, so let's not inversely correlate A-holeness with clinical acumen.
I’m genuinely sorry - I didn’t mean for my post to come across as rude as it did. I was mad that some people are bringing others down on this forum, meanwhile I just realized I did the same. I apologize @ psychmeout. I just don’t understand the rudeness. Can we please all support each other in this process

I would like to reference what you said to me as well. I wasn’t even going to reply to you but seeing the past few comments, I thought I would share my thoughts as well. How dare you act cocky and rude. We are all under intense amounts of stress already as it is. The reason why I chose to apply in the north is because I live here, I have family here, this is where I want to stay and the programs I applied to are all good fits for me and they are a good range of reach schools and average schools. No one deserves to have be talked down to the way you have been in this forum. We are all in the same boat here. We should be boosting ourselves up rather than being harsh.

What? I wasn't being cocky at all. I was expressing my upset at them deriding the PsyD program I applied to. I have no opinion on everyone else's choices. It's not for me to judge what is a best fit for anyone. I really don't understand why you are saying I was cocky and rude. I wanted to only convey they provided unsolicited criticism on a program I really like. I never said anything to you about programs you applied to or anything, so I am genuinely confused here.

What? I wasn't being cocky at all. I was expressing my upset at them deriding the PsyD program I applied to. I have no opinion on everyone else's choices. It's not for me to judge what is a best fit for anyone. I really don't understand why you are saying I was cocky and rude. I wanted to only convey they provided unsolicited criticism on a program I really like. I never said anything to you about programs you applied to or anything, so I am genuinely confused here.

I do believe that the poster was referencing the response to your post, rather than responding to you, individually.

Oh my goodness! No I was not referring to you here! I was referring to what psychmeout has said! I’m sorry for the confusion. You did nothing wrong, you were defending yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my goodness! No I was not referring to you here! I was referring to what psychmeout has said! I’m sorry for the confusion. You did nothing wrong, you were defending yourself.

Oh okay, Thanks for the clarification! I have that user muted so I don't see their posts. That must be part of it.

This whole process is incredibly stressful and the tension can really get to people. Honestly, it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one overwhelmed by this application season. I had my first interview this week and it was incredibly nerve wracking but I made it through it and you guys are doing the same.

Egos can get a little intense on here I've noticed but I just want everyone to know they should be proud of themselves whether or not you've had any interviews and/or invites yet. It takes a lot to put yourself out there and fight for your future so shout out to you guys.

Reactions: 12 users
School Name: USUHS
Date Interview Invite Received: 01/19/2017
Degree
Type: Clinical - Military Track

Do you know who you will interview with? What areas are you interested in?

School Name: Indiana State University
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/19/18
Degree: PsyD
Type: Clinical
Notified via: Phone
Interview Date: February 9 or Feb 16
Additional Info:
POI initials JS

Top choice! Very excited

Northwestern Feiberg invites went out. Slightly devastated as that was my top top top choice.
It's fine.
It's fine.
I'm fine.
its-fine-gif-4.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Northwestern Feiberg invites went out. Slightly devastated as that was my top top top choice.
It's fine.
It's fine.
I'm fine.
its-fine-gif-4.gif
Do we know if they all went out?? It was mine too...I appreciate the gif!

Agreed! Let’s try to keep it supportive on here. I made similar decisions to only apply to schools that are close to my family and partner. That might not be he right choice for others, but it’s whats best for me. I’m sure everyone has taken program costs and match rates into consideration. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Everyone on TGC said it was a mass email from the program director. Several POIs were mentioned.
I guess I was just holding out hope since my POI wasn't mentioned. But more realistically, you are right!

Interview Date: February 9
Additional Info: POI initials KB

School Name: University of Indianapolis
Interview Date: February 2
Additional Info:
Can choose who we want to interview with

School Name: Washington State University
Degree: PhD
Notified via: Phone Call
Interview Date: March 2
Additional Info:
Full day interview with optional dinner night of.

School Name: University of Indianapolis
Notified via: E-mail
Interview Date: Feb 2
Additional Info:

School Name:
Wright State SOPP
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/16/18
Notified via: E-mail
Interview Date: February 9 or Feb 3
Additional Info:

Date Interview Invite Received:
1/19/18
Additional Info: Full day interview with optional dinner night of.
You're on fire! Congrats :)

Interview Date: February 9 or Feb 16
Additional Info: POI initials JS

Top choice! Very excited
Congratulations I may see you there!!!

Interview Date: February 9 or 16 will most likely choose the 9th
Additional Info: POI initials JS

School Name: City University of New York--City College
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/15/2018
Degree
Notified via: Email, (personal)
Interview Date: 2/6/2018
Additional Info:
Interview with faculty member, then a student

Congrats!! Do you know if all interview invites have gone out for the City College Clinical PhD program?

I wasn't being "cocky and rude," you were—wrongly—inferring my tone. You were lamenting that you have not received any responses to your applications and I was explaining the likely reason for it. Nothing more, nothing less.

I understand that this is stressful experience for everyone, I've obviously gone through it as well, but that's not really an excuse to overreact when someone points out tangible reasons why you may not be getting interviews. It isn't meant as a criticism or a judgment of you as a person, it's advice to follow for next cycle, should you not get admitted this year. Just because a comment is not fawning reassurance doesn't inherently mean it's "rude," "unsupportive," "talking down," or has anything to do with "ego."

Honestly, how are any of you that have responded in this manner going to deal with actual criticism from your practicum supervisors, thesis and dissertation committees, journal reviewers, or anyone else in grad school if you can't handle comments that you've misconstrued as criticism?

I wasn't being "cocky and rude," you were—wrongly—inferring my tone. You were lamenting that you have not received any responses to your applications and I was explaining the likely reason for it. Nothing more, nothing less.

I understand that this is stressful experience for everyone, I've obviously gone through it as well, but that's not really an excuse to overreact when someone points out tangible reasons why you may not be getting interviews. It isn't meant as a criticism or a judgment of you as a person, it's advice to follow for next cycle, should you not get admitted this year. Just because a comment is not fawning reassurance doesn't inherently mean it's "rude," "unsupportive," "talking down," or has anything to do with "ego."

Honestly, how are any of you that have responded in this manner going to deal with actual criticism from your practicum supervisors, thesis and dissertation committees, journal reviewers, or anyone else in grad school if you can't handle comments that you've misconstrued as criticism?
I don’t think I was wrongly inferring your tone at all. To me, and several other people on here, your past comments have come across as rude. It’s one thing for one person to infer something wrongly, but when several people do there may be some truth to it.

As I mentioned, I don’t think there was anything inherently wrong with the choice of schools I applied to or their locations. Your opinion may not always be correct.

I can handle criticism at any level, which is why I am maturely talking about how I felt about your past posts. The reason why I did not receive interviews yet has absolutely nothing to do with the range in location of the schools I applied to? That makes absolutely zero sense.

If you could provide me with insight that would be great! I don’t understand how apllying to 6 schools across the country rather than in one region would change my chances.

I would like to know, are you a current PhD student somewhere, if that’s not too intrusive. I’m just curious!

Looking back at some of the other comments you have posted on other threads (and individuals responding to said comments) proved my point! It doesn’t seem to just be me that thinks you are being rude!

The only reason why I am even responding to you is my fear of you talking to patients OR future students (if you plan to be a professor) in this way some day (I don’t know your background, which concentration of psych. you are in)... if it is clinical and you plan to practice - PLEASE take some time to actually learn about how your words, tone, actions effect the emotions of others. It takes a certain type of individual to practice and it is clear this is not for you.

I am not emotionally fragile or sensitive for speaking up to you. I have a lot more experience in this field than you probably realize. It is important in the field of clinical science in general - even if you are just doing research and not planning to practice, to understand people and how they are influenced by situations and others. Nothing occurs in a bubble.

I’m happy that you didn’t have much trouble moving away from home for your schooling, but that is not the case for everyone. I have two dying grandparents and other immediate family members I want to be close to. I applied to schools that fit my interests and past experiences in the region I want to be in. You have to understand people are different, people see the world differently than you do and are not as emotionally resilient to situations as you are or may have been in the past.

School Name: Auburn University
Degree: Ph.D.
Type: Counseling
Interview Date: Other
Additional Info: Put in the "hold" category. "We are inviting approximately 20 applicants to interview, and have approximately 20 on hold. We were impressed with your application but unfortunately cannot invite every strong applicant to interview."

I give Auburn an A+++ for their graciousness in this email. Good going Auburn. Also, I'm not too hopeful that I'll be given the chance to interview- but still crossing my fingers! Good luck to all the applicants :)

Last edited:
Accepted at the University of Indianapolis! Good luck to all who just got interviews. The program is awesome!

Most likely will accept, but waiting to here from East Carolina and South Alabama for interviews.

Does anyone happen to know if the Government shutdown will delay the notifications for USUHS?

Accepted at the University of Indianapolis! Good luck to all who just got interviews. The program is awesome!

Most likely will accept, but waiting to here from East Carolina and South Alabama for interviews.
Congrats!! That’s amazing news!

Congrats to everyone else who has received this good news as well!

Does anyone happen to know if the Government shutdown will delay the notifications for USUHS?

I was notified I wasn’t getting an interview. Not sure if they are still notifying people or not. I emailed and asked so maybe that’s why they told me I wasn’t getting interviewed. It did say I wouldn’t get a formal rejection until March most likely.

I was notified I wasn’t getting an interview. Not sure if they are still notifying people or not. I emailed and asked so maybe that’s why they told me I wasn’t getting interviewed. It did say I wouldn’t get a formal rejection until March most likely.
They are not done notifying people, I am just not sure if they will be furloughed or not. If no one is in the office, they can't send out notifications.

Hi, I posted this in gradcafe too, but has anyone heard from UMass Boston's counseling PhD program? It looks like some interview invites went out on January 12th but was wondering if anyone had gotten invites more recently. Thanks!

Also, was this a mass email or is there a chance more invites can go out this week?

EDIT: I was wrong, I just called an they stated all invites have gone out. Official rejection letters will be sent in March.
This school does individual invites over the course of the week. Last year I believe the earliest invites went out on the 17th and the last ones went out on the 25th so I believe there is still hope. If you haven't heard by the 1st of February then I wouldn't hold out too much hope...

My only worry is that the government shutdown might delay the notifications, but I am not sure.

Last edited:
Date Interview Invite Received:
1/19/18
Additional Info: Full day interview with optional dinner night of.

Congrats on the interview!! Would you mind messaging me your POI's initials?

Has anyone heard from POI E.E. at East Carolina University? I've seen some invites go out on TGC, but I heard the POIs are sending them out individually.

Also, anyone on here applying to South Alabama?? I haven't seen anything about their interview dates

As I mentioned, I don’t think there was anything inherently wrong with the choice of schools I applied to or their locations. Your opinion may not always be correct.

Thing is, what psychmeout said is factually accurate. Clinical admissions to quality programs are quite competitive, and geographic restrictions only further limit options. It is not a matter of "inherent wrong"ness, it is a matter of stacking the odds against you. It would be a disservice to future applicants to lead them to believe otherwise.

The only reason why I am even responding to you is my fear of you talking to patients OR future students (if you plan to be a professor) in this way some day (I don’t know your background, which concentration of psych. you are in)... if it is clinical and you plan to practice - PLEASE take some time to actually learn about how your words, tone, actions effect the emotions of others. It takes a certain type of individual to practice and it is clear this is not for you.

On the other hand, this is, if not rude, somewhat presumptuous. Sometimes clinical work involves telling "patients OR future students" information that they might not WANT to hear, but need to hear nonetheless. My reading of the comment was that it was intended to assist applicants in getting better results, which seems supportive to me.

Thing is, what psychmeout said is factually accurate. Clinical admissions to quality programs are quite competitive, and geographic restrictions only further limit options. It is not a matter of "inherent wrong"ness, it is a matter of stacking the odds against you. It would be a disservice to future applicants to lead them to believe otherwise.

On the other hand, this is, if not rude, somewhat presumptuous. Sometimes clinical work involves telling "patients OR future students" information that they might not WANT to hear, but need to hear nonetheless. My reading of the comment was that it was intended to assist applicants in getting better results, which seems supportive to me.
Well, at least someone gets it.

Looking back at some of the other comments you have posted on other threads (and individuals responding to said comments) proved my point! It doesn’t seem to just be me that thinks you are being rude!

I am not emotionally fragile or sensitive for speaking up to you. I have a lot more experience in this field than you probably realize. It is important in the field of clinical science in general - even if you are just doing research and not planning to practice, to understand people and how they are influenced by situations and others. Nothing occurs in a bubble.

I’m happy that you didn’t have much trouble moving away from home for your schooling, but that is not the case for everyone. I have two dying grandparents and other immediate family members I want to be close to. I applied to schools that fit my interests and past experiences in the region I want to be in. You have to understand people are different, people see the world differently than you do and are not as emotionally resilient to situations as you are or may have been in the past.

There are times when people on this page can be super rude. But this really isn't one of those times. No one's telling you not to make whatever choices you want, but there are a ton of people that take on hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of debt for a program they trust will get them good results, spend years pouring themselves into it, only to find out they can't get an internship, can't get a phD, and can't get a job. Most probably had no idea what they were getting themselves into, and were misled by a program that took advantage of them, and are now shackled with a debt they have no reasonable way of paying back.

You're free to make whatever choice you want. You can restrict yourself geographically if that's what you need to do, but there's nothing wrong with someone telling you that it hurts your chances, because statistically it does. You can accept a program with a dismal match rate if you want, but there's nothing wrong with someone warning you of the risks ESPECIALLY since many people take on that risk without really understanding the consequences. You're not the only one that reads these posts. If a comment that comes off as rude to you, prevents someone else from making a decision that will completely cripple their life and careers, then it's worth it from my perspective. Too many people waste their youth on programs that will do nothing for them, and people sending out reminders that there is a high risk of being unemployable at many of these programs can help prevent that from happening for them. This whole forum isn't just for you. (I'll add that I was looking at a program that was unfunded with poor match rates and I am grateful I had a Professor explain to me why it would be such a bad idea. These people aren't just trying to squash your dreams because it sounds fun, they have actually seen people walk into these traps before and been seriously hurt for it. Why wouldn't you want them to explain the risks to clients/ students?)

Reactions: 3 users