PhD/PsyD 2017-2018 POST-DOCTORAL APPLICATION THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gotcha, Not a big fan of LA either. Its funny you mention traffic and people, being on the east coast for the first time, the biggest complaints I hear from people living in this area are Traffic and People. lol

Is it bad form to Interview at INS and then NOT present your research poster? I have two presentations, but one is scheduled for Saturday. I can save about $100-200 if I leave before hand, thinking I will have to eat it though

:/

May vary depending on who you talk to. My impression, yeah, it's bad form. Some people you interview with may want to talk about your project. May just be a small faux pas, but I, personally, wouldn't risk that one.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know when? They have their deadline listed as 12/31

I'm not sure but awhile ago; they apparently offer rolling applications. A friend of mine interning at a VA said that two of her co-interns are already on their second interview for Columbia.

Anyone willing to start/manage a postdoc interview invitation thread? This is not me volunteering. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone willing to start/manage a postdoc interview invitation thread? This is not me volunteering. :)

I would appreciate that so much!! I've been anxiously looking at previous threads from years before.

Hi all. Good to see some familiar names on here from last year :)

Is anyone aware of a thread that talks pros/cons about accepting a job offer vs. pursuing a formal postdoc? I don't want to bring up the whole conversation if its already happened somewhere else accessible. Thanks!

Anyone heard from SFVA?

based off last year's thread, neuro heard on the 13th and RV heard on the 19th. I'm guessing mid January is going to be a pretty busy time for interview scheduling.

I would say with most deadlines coming and going this week, it's a good pair of weeks to relax before the storm of the next month and a half. Not sure about y'all, but I really feel far less stressed about this process than last year. Just took a peak in that intern thread and oh my do I not miss those days.

Has anyone heard from Stonybrook counseling center?

I think the OP set space aside to keep track of interview invites. Maybe they are waiting for us to send messages with our invites. I'll send them a message and if they don't want to take on the task, I can start a new thread.

I think the OP set space aside to keep track of interview invites. Maybe they are waiting for us to send messages with our invites. I'll send them a message and if they don't want to take on the task, I can start a new thread.

I messaged 123EW back. I set aside space, but wasn't entirely sure where I was going with it. Maybe a Q&A, etc. I'm not really up for committing to tracking invites though. Thank you for the continued discussion and good luck to everyone on interviews!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooo, need some thoughts

Doing internship on East Coast, going back home to West Coast for a week.

Would it be ok/appropriate to email post-doc sites I've applied to and ask if I'm being considered for an interview to complete it during next week?

One site had a deadline today (my app was submitted long ago) and the other is rolling, but I haven't heard anything from them.

I mean, you can, but many people may also have their scheduled chock-full for next week already. If something is not on my schedule a few weeks in advance, it's likely not happening.

Totally understand that, and would be fine if that's the response.

Guess I'm wondering if it's bad form to a degree. Or a knock against me in some fashion

Totally understand that, and would be fine if that's the response.

Guess I'm wondering if it's bad form to a degree. Or a knock against me in some fashion

One of my internship supervisors suggested I do this. I didn't because I pretty much waited until the deadlines to submit apps, so I didn't think it was fair to expect them to review apps in less than a week. But I do think if you applied several weeks ago and are waiting, it is reasonable to contact them. Sure, they may not be able to fit you in, but if they are really interested in you once they take a glance, they might make the time. As long as you are respectful in your email, it shouldn't count against you. I'm sure plenty of others are in this situation as well.

Is anyone here applying to university counseling centers? I was wondering what types of questions they might ask or if it's similar to the internship interview? Thanks:)

Anyone else have conflicting interview dates yet? One of the sites I was invited to interview at only offered one date and made no mention of phone interviews. I'm really interested in the site but already bought my plane ticket elsewhere. I'm wondering if sites are generally more willing to let you come on a different day than they were for internship interviews.

I'm feeling weird because I haven't heard anything from 6 out of 7 sites I applied to. My apps became due starting Dec 15 with most due by Jan 5, so maybe it's too soon? They were all VA's. If a site isn't going to interview you do they sometimes just not say anything?

I'm feeling weird because I haven't heard anything from 6 out of 7 sites I applied to. My apps became due starting Dec 15 with most due by Jan 5, so maybe it's too soon? They were all VA's. If a site isn't going to interview you do they sometimes just not say anything?

Hey Hop4Grad! I remember you from Phase II. ;) I'm glad we made it internship. I'm still waiting for the same amount of sites. I applied to counseling centers! Have faith :) I'm sure you'll hear back soon!

Hey Hop4Grad! I remember you from Phase II. ;) I'm glad we made it internship. I'm still waiting for the same amount of sites. I applied to counseling centers! Have faith :) I'm sure you'll hear back soon!
Hmm...I matched in Phase I last year but I hope I was helpful if we were chatting around Phase II, lol! Hopefully I hear something this week...

Sooo, need some thoughts

Doing internship on East Coast, going back home to West Coast for a week.

Would it be ok/appropriate to email post-doc sites I've applied to and ask if I'm being considered for an interview to complete it during next week?

One site had a deadline today (my app was submitted long ago) and the other is rolling, but I haven't heard anything from them.

I wouldn't ask. I would view a candidate as pushy and entitled if they asked me that. It would come across as jumping the line and usurping their process. I totally am not saying you are, but they don't know you and may not appreciate it. But I do get the money and time aspect of things - on the other hand you did apply to West Coast sites so the money and time suck is what you set yourself up for - not their problem. Just one person's opinion here.

I wouldn't ask. I would view a candidate as pushy and entitled if they asked me that. It would come across as jumping the line and usurping their process. I totally am not saying you are, but they don't know you and may not appreciate it. But I do get the money and time aspect of things - on the other hand you did apply to West Coast sites so the money and time suck is what you set yourself up for - not their problem. Just one person's opinion here.

Totally understand and thats what I was concerend about. I emailed the site with rolling deadlines (as they really didn't provide any info about how interviews go). I felt I was polite about it.

Turns out it was a good thing though, as APPACAS shows my app missing on their end..but submitted on mine. :/

I realize this is ahead of the game, but I wanted to put it in before I forget. I took notification day off and was very, very, very glad I did. Notification day can be a lot more stressful than internship match day. I was fielding calls from multiple sites, asking to hold offers, turning other sites down, calling other sites to see where I was on their list, etc. It was a hot, hot mess. Actually made me miss internship match. o_O Granted, I applied to way too many sites, but even dealing with a smaller scale of that while trying to do clinical work would have blown excessively. Alternatively, one of my friend's didn't get an offer and had to deal with that and do clinical work.
I know you may have to take a bunch of time off for interviews and taking more off is stressful, but take the day off anyway!

Reactions: 2 users

For what its worth, I had an interview that was out of town and asked another site in the same city if they had reviewed my application as I would be in town interviewing. They said they would be glad to schedule me early. Just one data point, but it worked for me.

Totally understand and thats what I was concerend about. I emailed the site with rolling deadlines (as they really didn't provide any info about how interviews go). I felt I was polite about it.

Turns out it was a good thing though, as APPACAS shows my app missing on their end..but submitted on mine. :/
Oh my gosh - as if this wasn't stressful already! I sincerely hoped everything worked out for you!

Does anyone have insight about doing a postdoc at the VA but not staying at the VA after that? Although I am interviewing at VA's for postdoc, I may not like it and may not want to stay after postdoc. I want to keep my options open. How easy would it be to transition to a hospital or academic medical center that was civilian after working at the VA? Would a hospital or AMC view that strangely? Or as good experience? Would I be able to go back to the VA later if I wanted to? I have a sense that it's easier to go from VA to civilian than civilian to VA - is there any reality to this notion?

Can you please explain????

Explain what? Your impression is simply not Supported by any data or anecdotal evidence or stories that come across.

I have a sense that it's easier to go from VA to civilian than civilian to VA - is there any reality to this notion?

Explain what? Your impression is simply not Supported by any data or anecdotal evidence or stories that come across.

My anecdotal experience is that it is easier to get a VA job coming from a VA postdoc. Not the only way, of course, but easier. Some VAMCs post jobs on usajobs to which only current federal employees can apply. Also, psychology jobs are classified as a type of job that is not required to be posted on usajobs (although different VAMCs take different approaches to that issue). That means that emails may be sent out within a VAMC with a job announcement and internal candidates hired without the job every getting posted externally. I was advised by multiple supervisors at multiple VA sites to take any VA job I could find anywhere to get my foot in the door, even if it was a job or location I didn't want, which luckily I didn't have to do.
Additionally, the VAMCs I have had contact with, and some others that friends have been at, are very 'nepotistic' and often hire almost exclusively from within. I prioritized getting a postdoc in an area I wanted to live for that reason, and it absolutely paid off. However, fellow postdocs of mine were able to get jobs in VAMCs where they hadn't trained, although often in less popular geographic regions.
There's a saying tho, "You know one VA; you know one VA". Different VAMCs do things in vastly different manners. One of my friend's was at a VAMC where they made their hiring requirements for two job openings such that postdocs (including their own) couldn't apply. :shrug:

Need some help! I have a scheduling conflict and the site whose on-site interview I am unable to attend offered me a phone interview when I requested to interview on a different day. However, I noticed that all of the interviewers have availability for a phone interview on the same day, which happens to be the day after their on-site interview (the conflict). I will already be in the area. Do you think it's presumptuous to ask to interview on-site? I just want to convey that I am seriously interested. Thoughts would be appreciated!

Need some help! I have a scheduling conflict and the site whose on-site interview I am unable to attend offered me a phone interview when I requested to interview on a different day. However, I noticed that all of the interviewers have availability for a phone interview on the same day, which happens to be the day after their on-site interview (the conflict). I will already be in the area. Do you think it's presumptuous to ask to interview on-site? I just want to convey that I am seriously interested. Thoughts would be appreciated!
I don't think it would hurt to let them know that you will actually be in town. They might actually prefer to interview you in person anyway, but are assuming that you're across the country or something and want to finish all their interviews within the week. I would definitely find a way to let them know that you will be in town and available for either phone or in person, whatever works best for them.

Reactions: 1 users
Do we submit a Rank Order List for clinical postdocs at the VA? I'm not applying to any neuropsych positions, so I didn't think I was supposed to submit rankings - is that wrong? Can someone post a link for instructions about this? I was under the impression that after the interview we wait and are called on UND, but a VA I just interviewed with told me I needed to submit my ROL. What?

Do we submit a Rank Order List for clinical postdocs at the VA? I'm not applying to any neuropsych positions, so I didn't think I was supposed to submit rankings - is that wrong? Can someone post a link for instructions about this? I was under the impression that after the interview we wait and are called on UND, but a VA I just interviewed with told me I needed to submit my ROL. What?

Yea... that doesn't make sense, unless they're referring to ranking something internal (rotations?), but that seems unlikely. The only post-doc match I'm aware of is the one for neuro. Does the site have a neuro program? It's possible that you misheard or that they misspoke if this was in person. Wouldn't hurt to ask for clarification, and I'd do that immediately.

Feeling really crushed today and just wanted to share. I did not get a postdoc. Have been watching all of my friends get theirs. Now I am faced with splitting up my family or uprooting them. This is really so so so hard.

Reactions: 5 users
Feeling really crushed today and just wanted to share. I did not get a postdoc. Have been watching all of my friends get theirs. Now I am faced with splitting up my family or uprooting them. This is really so so so hard.

I'm so sorry...I feel the same way as I also didn't get a postdoc. But I'm feeling a bit hopeful from looking at the UPPD unfilled positions. There are some pretty strong sites on there.

I also didn't get one. Pretty heartbroken after a handful of interviews, and none on the UPPD in my specialty.

Same here. I'm still with uguys. If you need any additional support please don't hesitate to write it on here.

Does anyone know how this process works with getting interviews and offers from unfilled positions? Is it first come first serve? Are they more accommodating with phone and skype interviews?

Same here. I'm still with uguys. If you need any additional support please don't hesitate to write it on here.

Same boat here. Feeling dispirited today, especially as I see other people post where they will be training next year. My very patient and supportive partner, who thought he would know where we would be living, now has to endure more uncertainty alongside me. Back to the grindstone we go.

sending lots of love and good vibes your way. this whole process between internship, postdoc, licensure, and actually getting a real job is so ridiculously stressful. i knew what i was signing up for, but i just feel so bad for my S/O. she definitely didn't know. and it makes me wonder whether if i had to choose if i would do it all over again, even though I LOVE my job.

best of luck to everyone in this second round of match. i wish you all the best.

Hey Guys,

Hope you all found postdocs. I found one, but it's not in the geographic area I want to be in. I wanted a VA postdoc in my current geographic region, and that didn't happen. What I have set up is a great postdoc at a VA (great fit for my interests, APA accredited, and I think I'll end up with a ton of varied and useful skills). However, I am really worried about getting a VA job after postdoc in one of the few areas my family can live. My partner will only join me for about half the year - he's going to keep his job where we are currently due to benefits and the fact that it doesn't make sense to uproot him for just one year when we know we don't want to stay where I'll be doing postdoc and may want to come back here. This whole process is really depressing. Aside from the good training and fact that I'll be in the VA system, I'm really seriously worried about what this postdoc will render. It seems like jobs that are open in the VA system go to postdocs who are currently at whatever VA they are already at. I see this as a big problem down the road, but felt I had no other choice.

Hey Guys,

Hope you all found postdocs. I found one, but it's not in the geographic area I want to be in. I wanted a VA postdoc in my current geographic region, and that didn't happen. What I have set up is a great postdoc at a VA (great fit for my interests, APA accredited, and I think I'll end up with a ton of varied and useful skills). However, I am really worried about getting a VA job after postdoc in one of the few areas my family can live. My partner will only join me for about half the year - he's going to keep his job where we are currently due to benefits and the fact that it doesn't make sense to uproot him for just one year when we know we don't want to stay where I'll be doing postdoc and may want to come back here. This whole process is really depressing. Aside from the good training and fact that I'll be in the VA system, I'm really seriously worried about what this postdoc will render. It seems like jobs that are open in the VA system go to postdocs who are currently at whatever VA they are already at. I see this as a big problem down the road, but felt I had no other choice.
You might not get the exact job you want right out of postdoc, and that's okay. I did a VA postdoc, and pretty much everyone in my cohort wanted a VA job, in their specialty area, in a specific geographic region. I don't think any of us got all 3. I took a VA job in my specialty area, but further from family than I'd ideally like to be. Another took a VA job where he wanted to be, but it wasn't in the specialty area he really wanted. Another stayed local and got a job in her specialty area, but left the VA. The good news is that all of us are happy where we landed, and we have the opportunity to move around as we get settled in our careers. If geographic location is a deal-breaker, then you'll have to be more flexible with the types of positions you're willing to consider and the agencies you apply to. Then, you can work on building a solid reputation in that city that will allow you to be more choosy down the line. And congrats on landing the great postdoc!