2017-2018 Sackler School of Medicine New York State Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gizbar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread for Sackler 2017-2018 so I decided to start one. Anyone else applying/applied?

Members don't see this ad.

Can any current medical students give their input on their experiences? Interview coming up and any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably for a reason.

That’s just ignorant. Why even bother posting if you’re just looking to discourage people? There are people interested in this program. You should make better use of your time

Reactions: 3 users
Can any current medical students give their input on their experiences? Interview coming up and any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Good luck! I've got an interview coming up as well and doing my best to get ready!

Im a first year in another school, but wanted to post here of my experience as a former applicant, interviewee, and acceptee at Sackler last year. My interview in Sackler had been the most chill, most insightful, and probably the most fun I had of all 4 medical school interviews I was in. The Sackler interview was the most memorable for me because I respected the interviewer so much: I remember meeting my interviewer in his own clinic near Miami, he was a former graduate of Sackler and now an American doctor, and upon first seeing him, he was already finishing up his patient visits and was still in his scrubs. He truly was in no rush in interviewing me and we went on so many tangents about so many things while still looping back and addressing serious questions. Be prepared to answer how willing and prepared you are to live in Israel, and how you will address experiencing the new environment and culture there. I recall his emphasis that he really is seeking applicants who already realize how different it really is living in Israel and he wants to accept applicants who genuinely are ready to endure the culture shock there. Sackler truly had been my first choice until a miracle happened in summer where I was pulled out of the waitlist for my homestate school, but I am willing to say that Sackler's interview was way better than any other institution's because unlike Sackler, I had to face multiple interviewers who looked tired and disinterested acting as if "they heard it all before". Sackler's interviewer meanwhile was truly the most engaging of all. If you are meeting with him in Miami, I suggest you ask for and take all his advice as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Im a first year in another school, but wanted to post here of my experience as a former applicant, interviewee, and acceptee at Sackler last year. My interview in Sackler had been the most chill, most insightful, and probably the most fun I had of all interviews I was in for medical school which were quite a couple. I remember meeting my interviewer in his own clinic near Miami, he was a former graduate of Sackler and now an American doctor, and upon first seeing him, he was already finishing up his patient visits and was still in his scrubs. He truly was in no rush and we went off so many tangents about so many things while still asking and addressing serious questions. Be prepared to answer how you will prepare for living in Israel and addressing the new environment and culture there. I recall his emphasis that he really is seeking applicants who already realize how different it really is living in Israel and he wants to accept applicants who willing and ready to endure the culture shock there.
Thank you for the insight! Would you mind sharing why you decided to go elsewhere?

Thank you for the insight! Would you mind sharing why you decided to go elsewhere?

Thank you and of course! My decision was almost entirely based off financial and family reasons for me and in fact, if I was considering my future residency chances nationally, I would have rather gone with Sackler. I actually believe in terms of ranking, Sackler wins. LSU is far from prestigious when you are talking about the grand scheme of things especially among all the normal discussions in Studentdoctor about chances in residency nationwide based on medical school graduation (which I've heard is very little). Nevertheless, I consider Sackler to actually have more prestige than LSU nationally especially if you are planning to apply for residencies in the East and West coast. So I went against my better judgment and chose against this because I spent all 24 years of my life in New Orleans with the only family I have being there so there truly would not have been any school that would make me turn away from leaving the city I spent my life in, except in the case of receiving only acceptances out-of-state or out-of-country which in that case I would sacrifice my home to be a medical student in Israel. Honestly I wish I applied to Sackler in my 2 gap years when all I heard from Tulane and LSU was silence because in that case, I then would have delightfully attended Sackler and would have spoken to you as an Israeli first year :)

Last edited:
Couldn't find a thread for Sackler 2017-2018 so I decided to start one. Anyone else applying/applied?
Applied here and just had my interview today. Good luck to all!

For those who've received interviews, and acceptances in prior years, did you write your PS about Sackler specifically and and why you want to attend medical school in Israel? Or Just a general "why I want to be a doctor"?

I'm finishing up my app right now and want to know how much I should change my AMCAS PS, or if I should just shorten it slightly.

I just applied! Will keep updated.

Had my interview in NY. Really comfortable chairs.... NOT

I just applied! Will keep updated.

I just submitted as well. But when I paid, I was taken to a page that didn't load. Did you receive any sort of indication that they received your materials?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who've received interviews, and acceptances in prior years, did you write your PS about Sackler specifically and and why you want to attend medical school in Israel? Or Just a general "why I want to be a doctor"?

I'm finishing up my app right now and want to know how much I should change my AMCAS PS, or if I should just shorten it slightly.

Hi there, I'm a current first year. I wrote my PS starting with a STORY about a clinical experience I had abroad (Tanzania, with Gap Medics), which segued halfway to a personalized "why I want to be a doctor." You can make these essays interesting to read, and therefore, stand out, by telling a STORY about how you chose to pursue medicine. Committees loooooove stories.

Protip: I've noticed a lot of people in my class have at least traveled abroad or have been to Israel before. I would at least mention it in your PS if you have traveled and/or tell a story about your cultural curiosity/diversity. Again, the committee seems to select students (partially) based on their ability to handle/enjoy new culture.

Hi there, I'm a current first year. I wrote my PS starting with a STORY about a clinical experience I had abroad (Tanzania, with Gap Medics), which segued halfway to a personalized "why I want to be a doctor." You can make these essays interesting to read, and therefore, stand out, by telling a STORY about how you chose to pursue medicine. Committees loooooove stories.

Protip: I've noticed a lot of people in my class have at least traveled abroad or have been to Israel before. I would at least mention it in your PS if you have traveled and/or tell a story about your cultural curiosity/diversity. Again, the committee seems to select students (partially) based on their ability to handle/enjoy new culture.

How has your first year experience been so far?

I just submitted as well. But when I paid, I was taken to a page that didn't load. Did you receive any sort of indication that they received your materials?

I just submitted all my stuff. I just got a paypal receipt for my payment. I plan on calling Monday to get some more information.

I interviewed on Nov. 16. Waiting anxiously for a response. The interview was the most comfortable one I've had. It is definitely centered around why you want to be in Israel and evidence for how you will fit in there.

Just wondering for those who have had interviews, how long after your application was sent it did you get an interview offer?
thanks!

Just wondering for those who have had interviews, how long after your application was sent it did you get an interview offer?
thanks!
Got interview invite under a month after submitting app.
Has anyone who interviewed heard back? They told me they'd start sending acceptances out around February but I'm so impatient I just wanna know!

Hey, I'm interested in this school but can't find any clear info online. Anybody know what the perereqs are? The website just says something about the NY state board requirements. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm interested in possibly applying to Sackler but I'm worried I'm applying too late to have much of a chance. Anyone know the stats on applicants who apply in like January?

How has your first year experience been so far?
It's medical school. It's hard. The faculty and upperclassmen are unusually dedicated to our success. But you know, every medical school has their little problems here and there. Even UCLA. Technion students (another one of 3 US M.D. Israel program) have worse problems, as it seems, just talked to them over the weekend (their instructors are less than satisfactory).

Curriculum: some classes are forward thinking/well oiled machines, like biochem, some still a WIP, like genetics, and some are straight old-fashioned but work, like anatomy. Honestly you really learn how to learn here.
Research: All you have to do is ask. The exciting P.I.'s that present to our class every couple weeks love students who have perfectly groomed english... yes that means you get authorship.
Culture: You gain a family with your classmates, truly. I heard this before coming here, and it's true. Israel is also indescribably full of an immersive culture that's really hard not to like. You might miss Amazon Prime though.

Bottom line: This school will prepare you well, and match you well.

I'm interested in possibly applying to Sackler but I'm worried I'm applying too late to have much of a chance. Anyone know the stats on applicants who apply in like January?

I applied in January 2017 :)

Also waitlisted- anybody know how the waitlist moves?

Do you think they might start sending out decisions soon?

Also - Does anyone know if they send all the decisions via E-Mail or Mail?

I interviewed on Nov. 16. Waiting anxiously for a response. The interview was the most comfortable one I've had. It is definitely centered around why you want to be in Israel and evidence for how you will fit in there.
Have you heard anything from the admissions office?

Anyone hear back from the adcom yet?

Patiently waiting, anyone here anything since their interview?

Thank you! Via mail but technically not snail mail. They FedEx overnighted the letter.

Accepted! Dated Feb 9th but just got home from being away for a few days

Congrats!!! When did you interview? Had mine in early December and still haven't heard anything.

Also willing to share stats? Just interested to see how I compare to an accepted, no need to post on here but a PM would be really helpful.

Would the accepted students be interested in creating/joining a Facebook group for accepted students?

Congrats!!! When did you interview? Had mine in early December and still haven't heard anything.

Also willing to share stats? Just interested to see how I compare to an accepted, no need to post on here but a PM would be really helpful.

I interviewed October 31st

anyone applied late last year and havent heard back from them??

Does anyone know if it’s worth it to apply with a below 500 Mcat score ??. I have a high gpa and plan on retaking it this summer.

Does anyone know if it’s worth it to apply with a below 500 Mcat score ??. I have a high gpa and plan on retaking it this summer.
if you can afford the application, you should totally do it, you have nothing to lose!

I interviewed beginning of December and admissions office just told me I would be reviewed in the coming meeting, so I should expect to hear back before the end of the month. Just an FYI for anyone else who interviewed in December or later.

Good luck!