2017-2018 Sackler School of Medicine New York State Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted. Good luck to everyone <3

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have an idea of how many spots are left?

When is the deadline for those who are admitted to confirm their seat?

We're not privy to this information. The incoming class is finalized by late July/ early august. Orientation starts mid august.

Is it possible for any students to receive scholarships or do all pay the full listed tuition of 40K?

2 small need-based partial tuition scholarships are granted to each class each year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any info as to when the next admissions committee meeting is?

Anyone have any info as to when the next admissions committee meeting is?
The applications cycle are over for class of 2022 , closed May31. the interviews are in progress. The 2nd thurs of June should be when the next adcom meeting takes place, Then selection . The waitlist could begin shortly thereafter. Fingers and toes crossed for us all

The applications cycle are over for class of 2022 , closed May31. the interviews are in progress. The 2nd thurs of June should be when the next adcom meeting takes place, Then selection . The waitlist could begin shortly thereafter. Fingers and toes crossed for us all
Thank You!

advice to somebody on the waitlist?
Im a 3rd student who was waitlisted at Sackler. I sent another LOR to Sackler that was geared for Sackler. Don't know if it helped, but I got off the waitlist in July. Hang in there... I know how hard the wait can be.
Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Im a 3rd student who was waitlisted at Sackler. I sent another LOR to Sackler that was geared for Sackler. Don't know if it helped, but I got off the waitlist in July. Hang in there... I know how hard the wait can be.
Good Luck!
Was that in addition to the one they request when they put you on the waitlist?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using SDN mobile

Hey guys, just for reference, I got off the waitlist last year on June 20, 2017. So expect *something* to happen within a week or two. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, just for reference, I got off the waitlist last year on June 20, 2017. So expect *something* to happen within a week or two. :)
Do you know how many members of your class were waitlisted prior to admittance?

I got a bunch of questions if anyone can please answer. How many hours of lecture there are per day, and if lecture is mandatory? Also, the frequency of case based learning, peer tutoring, and MPSD? What is the examination schedule like? Are Friday's off days? Is the school more focused on their exams or preparing for step? Are there shared school resources like high yield notes or flashcards?

Do you know how many members of your class were waitlisted prior to admittance?

I'd say anywhere between 25-35%.

I got a bunch of questions if anyone can please answer. How many hours of lecture there are per day, and if lecture is mandatory? Also, the frequency of case based learning, peer tutoring, and MPSD? What is the examination schedule like? Are Friday's off days? Is the school more focused on their exams or preparing for step? Are there shared school resources like high yield notes or flashcards?

Lecture hours/day vary by block (5 blocks 1st year). Some blocks have ~5-6 hours/day, some have ~1-2/day. Some blocks have lots of mandatory classes, some have few. This means there are non-mandatory classes/events. Dynamic scheduling is handled nicely with Google Calendar.

CBLs are quite often, not so much in block 3. Believe me, CBLs are a very good thing for learning. The director of years 1 & 2 is a very passionate physician (she actually does medical education research) who knows the value of CBLs & involved learning, so she's trying to replace as many lectures as possible with CBLs.

Peer tutoring groups happen around once or twice a block, so ~6 times total during the year. You also have the ability to request tutors, so frequency of peer tutoring is really up to you.

MPSD... AKA ASM (Art & Science of Medicine) is something I really enjoyed this year, and there were 13 total classes this year, about 2x/month.

Examination schedule is variable by block. Usually you have a quiz anywhere between 2-5 weeks apart, and NBME(s) at the very end of every block.

School is more focused on preparing for Step 1 for sure.

Israel's work week is Sunday-Thursday. This is due to Shabbat, which is Friday sundown to Saturday sundown. So, your weekend is Friday & Saturday. All part of the culture :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You're a legend, Thank you!
I'd say anywhere between 25-35%.

Lecture hours/day vary by block (5 blocks 1st year). Some blocks have ~5-6 hours/day, some have ~1-2/day. Some blocks have lots of mandatory classes, some have few. This means there are non-mandatory classes/events. Dynamic scheduling is handled nicely with Google Calendar.

CBLs are quite often, not so much in block 3. Believe me, CBLs are a very good thing for learning. The director of years 1 & 2 is a very passionate physician (she actually does medical education research) who knows the value of CBLs & involved learning, so she's trying to replace as many lectures as possible with CBLs.

Peer tutoring groups happen around once or twice a block, so ~6 times total during the year. You also have the ability to request tutors, so frequency of peer tutoring is really up to you.

MPSD... AKA ASM (Art & Science of Medicine) is something I really enjoyed this year, and there were 13 total classes this year, about 2x/month.

Examination schedule is variable by block. Usually you have a quiz anywhere between 2-5 weeks apart, and NBME(s) at the very end of every block.

School is more focused on preparing for Step 1 for sure.

Israel's work week is Sunday-Thursday. This is due to Shabbat, which is Friday sundown to Saturday sundown. So, your weekend is Friday & Saturday. All part of the culture :)

You're a legend, Thank you!

I'm an upper-classman at Sackler. I want to correct the misleading comments posted by the 1st year above. Few, if any, students in my class share his sentiment. Dont be fooled, there are a lot of problems in this program. The administration, the mpsd course, the cbl structure, and step 1 preparation are but a few of the many shortcomings. The attrition rate is significant. Just last month three more students in my 3rd year class failed out. These were students with substantial debts who were on the cusp of entering the match. I've had a single meeting with any member of the administration since I arrived. None of them know my name. Neither seem interested in my success (There are only 2 administrators for the whole program.) Sackler is a good option if it's your only option. Just know before you come that you're taking a risk that USMD students are not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm an upper-classman at Sackler. I want to correct the misleading comments posted by the 1st year above. Few, if any, students in my class share his sentiment. Dont be fooled, there are a lot of problems in this program. The administration, the mpsd course, the cbl structure, and step 1 preparation are but a few of the many shortcomings. The attrition rate is significant. Just last month three more students in my 3rd year class failed out following the OB/Gyn rotation. These were students with substantial debts who were on the cusp of entering the match. I've had a single meeting with any member of the administration since I arrived. None of them know my name. Neither seem interested in my success (There are only 2 administrators for the whole program.) Sackler is a good option if it's your only option. Just know before you come that you're taking a risk that USMD students are not.
I’m sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Can you elucidate as to why the students failed out?

Yes, people fail out, but it's not unique to Sackler. In fact, one of my classmates just told me that 15 students failed out of USC Keck SOM this year. AAMC reports the 4 year graduation rate (classes 2005-2010) for U.S. medical schools is 82.5%, and 94.1% in 5 years. Graduation rates have steadily been going down for all schools since the 1970's. Currently, 92% of the original C/O 2021 is on track for graduation. I'd say we're par for the course as far as that matter. Every class' success rate is different (partly) because the curriculum is tweaked every year. You can't forget the human element: nobody's perfect.

Whether you go to Stanford, Sackler, or George Washington, you're going to have problems. What people don't seem to understand about all med schools is that they're independence training machines; you are more responsible for your education now than ever before. What keeps people in, and not failing, is understanding this fact of independence. You can't just go to lecture and expect to pass, based on the virtue of your ego and/or school's name/reputation. This is partly why people fail out.

I can't speak for upperclassmen, but I do feel that administration needs to do a better job of caring about each student. A couple great friends of mine failed out this year and left me feeling sore. That being said, they do make efforts by keeping track of your test scores. If they catch you struggling, they will pull you into the office and try to understand why/how, and offer you a tutor.

Sackler will get you places if you put in the work. Speaking of which... time for some Sketchy.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, people fail out, but it's not unique to Sackler. In fact, one of my classmates just told me that 15 students failed out of USC Keck SOM this year. AAMC reports the 4 year graduation rate (classes 2005-2010) for U.S. medical schools is 82.5%, and 94.1% in 5 years. Graduation rates have steadily been going down for all schools since the 1970's. Currently, 92% of the original C/O 2021 is on track for graduation. I'd say we're par for the course as far as that matter. Every class' success rate is different (partly) because the curriculum is tweaked every year. You can't forget the human element: nobody's perfect.

Whether you go to Stanford, Sackler, or George Washington, you're going to have problems. What people don't seem to understand about all med schools is that they're independence training machines; you are more responsible for your education now than ever before. What keeps people in, and not failing, is understanding this fact of independence. You can't just go to lecture and expect to pass, based on the virtue of your ego and/or school's name/reputation. This is partly why people fail out.

I can't speak for upperclassmen, but I do feel that administration needs to do a better job of caring about each student. A couple great friends of mine failed out this year and left me feeling sore. That being said, they do make efforts by keeping track of your test scores. If they catch you struggling, they will pull you into the office and try to understand why/how, and offer you a tutor.

Sackler will get you places if you put in the work. Speaking of which... time for some Sketchy.

Keck is more than 3x the size of Sackler. The AAMC 4-year graduation rate is likely due to students taking a research year. Hence the jump to 94% / 5yr and 97% / 8yr.

For anyone that's gotten off the wait list, did you receive notice via email or regular mail?

Got in off the waitlist on Friday morning. Good luck to all those waiting!

I’m sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Can you elucidate as to why the students failed out?

Happy to. You encounter maybe Sackler's worst policy in the third year where they arbitrarily set the passing score of clerkship shelf exams at 65% instead of using the passing score set by the NBME for that particular exam, which is what most american medical schools use. We had a problem last year where several students in my class would have passed according to the NBME standard but who failed according to the arbitrary Sackler standard. Lives ruined after much work and stress, so much debt, for no good reason and so close to matching....

As I said before, Sackler is great if it's a last resort and only if it's a last resort.

Hi! Applying to Sackler now for Class of 2023. Wondering if the minimum requirements for science courses include labs. For example, they say "Meet the minimal requirements set by the New York State Education Department for the New York State Program for a premedical curriculum. This includes one year or six credits (two semesters) in English, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, and Biology." So should I list my lab courses also for the science courses?

Hi! Applying to Sackler now for Class of 2023. Wondering if the minimum requirements for science courses include labs. For example, they say "Meet the minimal requirements set by the New York State Education Department for the New York State Program for a premedical curriculum. This includes one year or six credits (two semesters) in English, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, and Biology." So should I list my lab courses also for the science courses?
Yes absolutely