2017-2018 Universidad Central del Caribe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted. Got the letter in the mail today. OOS. Interviewed mid-December.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted as well. Hi everybody. Fingers crossed for us all

Reactions: 1 user
What was the application process like for UCC?
Primary through AMCAS I’m assuming.
Secondary through email? Or is the secondary just paying a fee?
Interviews granted after secondary,
Then waiting for a response of acceptance?

1ry: AMCAS
2ry: You will receive an email with instructions to submit official transcripts, supporting documentation and application fee.
II: Once all documents and fee are received, if you meet the minimum standards, an interview invite will follow
I: is in the Mini Multiple Interview format
Lastly wait for an acceptance, waitlist or rejection

Hope this answers your questions. :) Best of luck!

Are they still interviewing?

MS1 here. I have seen a few interviewees but the frequency has been less than earlier in the semester. We have been swamped with exams so it has been hard to notice the rate of interviews in the past few weeks.

Hello! MS1 here

To all of you on the Waitlist here is some information that could be of help. Please do not take this info as the absolute truth, rather as an idea of what you can expect in the next following weeks...

Normally, and in my experience, most of the students who receive an acceptance to a PR med school, will likely receive acceptances or waitlist considerations to the other medical schools (Albeit, UPR-Medical Sciences is a game of its own since you have to be an in-state applicant and most preferably a UPR alumn.) This is predictable since the in-state PRican applicant pool can be very predictable (GPA 3.5 and above & MCAT around 492-502, average speaking).

I would speculate that 100-150 applicants could be receiving an acceptance to all 3 private med schools. Assuming that all three classes combined add up to 250 open spots (not an accurate representation of the number of available spots), and all 150 acceptances distribute evenly, there will be a leftover of 100 spaces available for each school (about 33 spots per school). I did not include UPR in this math for the reasons mentioned above, however, I know of numerous people who have opted to reject an acceptance from UPR and go into one of the private ones or to the mainland. This shift would be significant since it could mean that another person can get that spot.

Bottom line: Once most acceptances have been given out (usually April-May), the waitlist shift begins. I could be wrong but I believe that admitted students need to notify whether they accept or decline an offer by a strict deadline; this allows schools to continue considering candidates from the waitlist and notifying them sooner rather than later.

I was waitlisted at one of the schools and received an email for interview reconsideration in early May. I also know of students who received acceptances in late June. So stay tuned and DO NOT STOP LIVING!

Best of success to you all!

Reactions: 3 users
Hello! MS1 here

To all of you on the Waitlist here is some information that could be of help. Please do not take this info as the absolute truth, rather as an idea of what you can expect in the next following weeks...

Normally, and in my experience, most of the students who receive an acceptance to a PR med school, will likely receive acceptances or waitlist considerations to the other medical schools (Albeit, UPR-Medical Sciences is a game of its own since you have to be an in-state applicant and most preferably a UPR alumn.) This is predictable since the in-state PRican applicant pool can be very predictable (GPA 3.5 and above & MCAT around 492-502, average speaking).

I would speculate that 100-150 applicants could be receiving an acceptance to all 3 private med schools. Assuming that all three classes combined add up to 250 open spots (not an accurate representation of the number of available spots), and all 150 acceptances distribute evenly, there will be a leftover of 100 spaces available for each school (about 33 spots per school). I did not include UPR in this math for the reasons mentioned above, however, I know of numerous people who have opted to reject an acceptance from UPR and go into one of the private ones or to the mainland. This shift would be significant since it could mean that another person can get that spot.

Bottom line: Once most acceptances have been given out (usually April-May), the waitlist shift begins. I could be wrong but I believe that admitted students need to notify whether they accept or decline an offer by a strict deadline; this allows schools to continue considering candidates from the waitlist and notifying them sooner rather than later.

I was waitlisted at one of the schools and received an email for interview reconsideration in early May. I also know of students who received acceptances in late June. So stay tuned and DO NOT STOP LIVING!

Thanks for your response. I feel better knowing this.

Do you (or does anyone else here) know when the end of the grace period for those accepted is up? So we have kind of an estimate when we'd get more acceptance notifications.

Hello! MS1 here

What if I haven't receive any interview yet?

For those of you that have been accepted, look up Universidad Central del Caribe MD 2022 Facebook page :) so you can start meeting your classmates

Last edited:
Another OOS MS1 here. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! I understand the struggle of trying to apply from the mainland. Éxito chicos!
Would you mind sharing your stats? I am OOS as well and want to see what OOS MCAT scores look like. Your time is much appreciated!

Wait losted. Accepted in PSM mkte than a month ago. I strongly considered UCC. What are some of its best things?? How is the bedside teaching in the hospital??

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait losted. Accepted in PSM mkte than a month ago. I strongly considered UCC. What are some of its best things?? How is the bedside teaching in the hospital??
Did you just receive a letter saying you were WL? Or has it been a while ?

When were you interviewed? I was interviewed at the beginning of March and haven't received news yet.

Last edited:
You should go to Ponce. I heard it has better reputation.

That is not true. UCC is the second most desired medical school on the island. Last year UCC had the highest board scores and this year we finished third (UPR and SJB were higher). Ponce finished in fourth this year and normally they finish lower than UCC and UPR.

That is not true. UCC is the second most desired medical school on the island. Last year UCC had the highest board scores and this year we finished third (UPR and SJB were higher). Ponce finished in fourth this year and normally they finish lower than UCC and UPR.

For me, UPR is #1, then Ponce, then UCC and then SJB. Some people may regard UCC higher than PSM. Personally I lean more towards Ponce because of the history and reputation. Throughout the years I've seen that PSM grads also tend to match in more competitive fields than UCC grads. Ponce is more widely recognized in the mainland as well... Just my two cents. For anyone on the verge, look up info on Ponce SOM in the forum and you will see what I mean.

Thats why Im considering UCC.

For me, UPR is #1, then Ponce, then UCC and then SJB. Some people may regard UCC higher than PSM. Personally I lean more towards Ponce because of the history and reputation. Throughout the years I've seen that PSM grads also tend to match in more competitive fields than UCC grads. Ponce is more widely recognized in the mainland as well... Just my two cents. For anyone on the verge, look up info on Ponce SOM in the forum and you will see what I mean.
The thing that I don't like about Ponce is that the courses are not system based.

are they going to send more interviews?

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I am an OOS applicant, and here in the mainland there has been some debate about the legitimacy of the school since Ponce is for-profit. The perception of for profit schools can be detrimental when applying to reaidency. If Ponce is your only choice, congrats! It is an LCME school. But I have done extensive research and spoke with alumni of RCM that I know very well. Those who happen to be doing residency in Puerto Rico say that they are impressed with the execution and perfomrance of UCC doctors, not as impressed with Ponce alumni with some exceptions, of course. Also, keep in mind that RCM and UCC are doing a joint project under title V which gives you an idea of the quality of research UCC is doing and parity with RCM in that regards. In terms of research Ponce is not even considered a research institution. Also, UCC holds both LCME and ACGME, as well as RCM. Ponce on the other end only holds LCME as far as I am concerned.

As I stated before, congrats on getting and admission to Ponce. The competition for this year has been brutal in all four schools. That being said if given a choice I would go for UCC over Ponce. In fact, if money is not an issue I would pick UCC over RCM because I would be afraid of the potential financial collapse of the government
on a side note, the current dean of the medical school of UPR-RCM is a UCC-SOM Alumni,
and Dr Pagan (clinical instructor at Yale Med) is also a UCC alumni. That should give you an idea UCC's reputation

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I am an OOS applicant, and here in the mainland there has been some debate about the legitimacy of the school since Ponce is for-profit. The perception of for profit schools can be detrimental when applying to reaidency. If Ponce is your only choice, congrats! It is an LCME school. But I have done extensive research and spoke with alumni of RCM that I know very well. Those who happen to be doing residency in Puerto Rico say that they are impressed with the execution and perfomrance of UCC doctors, not as impressed with Ponce alumni with some exceptions, of course. Also, keep in mind that RCM and UCC are doing a joint project under title V which gives you an idea of the quality of research UCC is doing and parity with RCM in that regards. In terms of research Ponce is not even considered a research institution. Also, UCC holds both LCME and ACGME, as well as RCM. Ponce on the other end only holds LCME as far as I am concerned.

As I stated before, congrats on getting and admission to Ponce. The competition for this year has been brutal in all four schools. That being said if given a choice I would go for UCC over Ponce. In fact, if money is not an issue I would pick UCC over RCM because I would be afraid of the potential financial collapse of the government
on a side note, the current dean of the medical school of UPR-RCM is a UCC-SOM Alumni,
and Dr Pagan (clinical instructor at Yale Med) is also a UCC alumni. That should give you an idea UCC's reputation

From the 3 students that I know applied to UCC they have all been waitlisted. One of them has been accepted to RCM but got WL in UCC which goes to show that UCC has been the hardest school to get accepted. It puzzels me because the mcat mimum is 492.

Do you know were to find a match list of UCC students?

From the 3 students that I know applied to UCC they have all been waitlisted. One of them has been accepted to RCM but got WL in UCC which goes to show that UCC has been the hardest school to get accepted. It puzzels me because the mcat mimum is 492.

Go to their website and look for the student outlook tab, it will give you match info for 2017 class, i know that one of the 2018 class matched in ophtalmology and 6 in general surgery. I am not sure about the rest of the stats for 2018

Yes, it is the "pala" ...that's the reason is the hardest to get accepted lol

Yes, it is the "pala" ...that's the reason is the hardest to get accepted lol
I got in without "pala", but I do know many people who are arranging things with their "palas" for RCM haha maybe the guy or girl had "pala" in RCM and that's why he got in there and not in UCC... just a thought

I got in without "pala", but I do know many people who are arranging things with their "palas" for RCM haha maybe the guy or girl had "pala" in RCM and that's why he got in there and not in UCC... just a thought
well I know many with "palas" at UCC, but I'm not saying everybody got in with it. It is dirty game

how many of you guys have been interviewed in ponce or SJB?

how many of you guys have been interviewed in ponce or SJB?

I got interviews in all 4, i dropped my applications for Ponce and SJB since I received admission for UCC in december.

To be fair UPR is the hardest to get in because the cost is ideal. There sre definitely people who use contacts inside ti get an offer but those sre a few, not the majority. About UCC and palas I honestly dont know but it wouldn’t surprise me. It happens everywhere including Harvard and all those big names. Refer to the book: The price of admission and you will see. Now for the rest of us who have work hard I was extremely satisfied to get my UCC offer. It was my second choice.

I got interviews in all 4, i dropped my applications for Ponce and SJB since I received admission for UCC in december.

Good! Congrats! How did they notify you? by a letter?

To be fair UPR is the hardest to get in because the cost is ideal. There sre definitely people who use contacts inside ti get an offer but those sre a few, not the majority. About UCC and palas I honestly dont know but it wouldn’t surprise me. It happens everywhere including Harvard and all those big names. Refer to the book: The price of admission and you will see. Now for the rest of us who have work hard I was extremely satisfied to get my UCC offer. It was my second choice.
Yeah, there are always a few people that get in through shady ways. Congrats on getting into UCC. Are you still waiting on RCM or are you set on UCC?

Yeah, there are always a few people that get in through shady ways. Congrats on getting into UCC. Are you still waiting on RCM or are you set on UCC?

Waiting, I also got a couple interviews in the mainland but haven’t heard except for one that is a no go because its very expensive

Does anyone know the end of the grace period for those accepted ? So we can have an idea when more acceptances might be handed out.

For those of you that interviewed in March, I called the admission's office and they told me that the committee will be reviewing the profiles this week and will be handing out decisions via mail only throughout the next two weeks. (This is for the people that haven't heard a decision)

Waiting, I also got a couple interviews in the mainland but haven’t heard except for one that is a no go because its very expensive
Does anyone know the end of the grace period for those accepted ? So we can have an idea when more acceptances might be handed out.
I received my acceptance letter on February 21, and then had until March 9 to hand in the $100 deposit to reserve my spot. After that, they give you until June 1 to pay $1000 of enrollment into the school

I received my acceptance letter on February 21, and then had until March 9 to hand in the $100 deposit to reserve my spot. After that, they give you until June 1 to pay $1000 of enrollment into the school
Thank you ! Very helpful !

Actually SJB wasn't higher on the boards, less took students took the step therefore it seemed like the stats were higher, when they compiled the complete score it was UPR, UCC and then SJB. All the schools in Puerto Rico are good in one aspect or the other and also have their downfalls. For UPR is the fact that they give everything very rushed, bigger class and tied to the public system which declines in its administrative area. For UCC is the fact that the curriculum for first year is complex, and they are still fixing some kinks, for SJB is the fact that even though they have standardized testing the students, the scores aren't super high plus no main hospital, and for Ponce it is that they curriculum is not system based. Every medical school will have one thing you like and one thing you don't. So choose wisely. MS1 here, any questions feel free!

Sometimes students with really high MCAT, and High average, get waitlisted in most schools since they know the chances of getting into UPRRCM are pretty much secured. They then open the spaces for other students who have a higher probability of coming to their medical school. Unfair but true, It happened in my year as well.

I called this week and they said that the committee will be evaluating students that are on alternate list. For those accepted in multiple schools, the grace of period to decide which school to attend ends on April 30th. They expect to send acceptance letters through mail in the following weeks.

Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
I called this week and they said that the committee will be evaluating students that are on alternate list. For those accepted in multiple schools, the grace of period to decide which school to attend ends on April 30th. They expect to send acceptance letters through mail in the following weeks.

Best of luck to everyone!
That's great news! Here's to waiting for the mail everyday lol

Actually SJB wasn't higher on the boards, less took students took the step therefore it seemed like the stats were higher, when they compiled the complete score it was UPR, UCC and then SJB. All the schools in Puerto Rico are good in one aspect or the other and also have their downfalls. For UPR is the fact that they give everything very rushed, bigger class and tied to the public system which declines in its administrative area. For UCC is the fact that the curriculum for first year is complex, and they are still fixing some kinks, for SJB is the fact that even though they have standardized testing the students, the scores aren't super high plus no main hospital, and for Ponce it is that they curriculum is not system based. Every medical school will have one thing you like and one thing you don't. So choose wisely. MS1 here, any questions feel free!

When you say M1is complex, can you provide more details?

Reactions: 1 users
Any news from the school?