2017 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was deferred from my top choice (basically a post II hold as you can technically be drawn off the deferred list at any time) and feel your pain. It was my top choice for both myself and my spouse, and the pain is real. I don't have any acceptances yet to find solace in, and we have no clue if my husband will be able to find a job near the two remaining prospects I have so we may be doing long distance :X. I've done two mock interviews with adcoms at my current school and they said my interview skills were great, but my confidence is shaken by the deferral. It sucks.

WELL GOT THE CALL LAST NIGHT, AND I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED TO MY TOP CHOICE!!!!!!!!! :biglove::biglove::biglove: First acceptance- I'm going to be a doctor!!!!!! :soexcited::banana:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 20 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Happy Thanksgiving guys! I am thankful for the support and advice here, and for the two IIs I've received.

Story I thought you guys might enjoy from my recent interview. During the financial aid talk the aid officer starts off with, "I know this won't apply to many of you, but for the purposes of financial aid determinations you are considered financially independent from your parents at age X. If you are less than age X, even if you have been supporting yourself for years, are married with 3 kids, etc. your parents' financial assets will still be taken into account for aid determinations." An interviewee near me sighs loudly at the injustice of it all and says something along the lines of, "...but nobody THAT old is going to be starting medical school." Meanwhile, I am doing a happy dance inside as I realize I could possibly attend this medical school without messing with my parents plans for retirement/longterm care for my brother or covering everything with loans. I guess being older and having earned very little for most of my career is finally paying off ;)

Also amusing was overhearing the conversation of a few current students/ recent graduates from the college I graduated from years ago. One student who had spent all of one year working was telling those still in college how much the "regular working life" had helped him mature. I avoided rolling my eyes, but did tell them that I'd also gone to the same college. They of course asked the year I graduated and when I told them one girls eyes went wide and she said, "I hadn't even started high school by then!" Oh well, I guess it's a good sign that I apparently look younger than I in fact am.

Edit (Sunday): And I just received my first rejection of the season. It's school close to home with strong research opportunities, so it does sting a bit. I was just looking to see last week how I could update them with a new paper, and saw they were one of the places that only accepted updates after extending students interviews. Oh well, you win some (hopefully), you lose some.

What age did they quote?

Accepted to my top choice MD (considering job options for my SO)!!!! First MD acceptance, not the cheapest but not the most expensive either, and the opportunity to live in the same city is such a relief! And early enough I don't have to place my DO deposit (I'll consider that a saved 1k, to be spent on cake and beverages).

Definitely didn't seem realistic after zero II's last year. Holy cow..

Reactions: 13 users
Accepted to my top choice MD (considering job options for my SO)!!!! First MD acceptance, not the cheapest but not the most expensive either, and the opportunity to live in the same city is such a relief! And early enough I don't have to place my DO deposit (I'll consider that a saved 1k, to be spent on cake and beverages).

Definitely didn't seem realistic after zero II's last year. Holy cow..

Yesss! Congratulations, that's awesome!

Reactions: 1 user
Ack! My paper is getting some serious love on twitter (a scientist with 24k followers tweeted it out and since then it's been going strong). The internet is awesome sometimes. My PI just stopped by to ask me how she can join twitter because she's so excited. I've been looking people up and a handful of the tweeters are professors at medical schools I've applied to but haven't heard anything from. It may be time to strike while the iron is hot and see if I can eek out another interview or two with this momentum :)

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I put down the robust deposit at the DO school in my state (LMU DCOM) yesterday. I'll be going here unless I get some love after the new year from one of my state allopathic schools. I'm still reeeeally hoping for a public school because of the money difference using the GI Bill.

The cycle started crazy for me with 6 interviews in 5 weeks, but has since dropped off to zero news from any other school in the past 2 months. I'm sending a letter of intent with fall grades next week to the one state school I interviewed at, then it's ghost protocol until classes resume late January.

Reactions: 2 users
I put down the robust deposit at the DO school in my state (LMU DCOM) yesterday. I'll be going here unless I get some love after the new year from one of my state allopathic schools. I'm still reeeeally hoping for a public school because of the money difference using the GI Bill.

The cycle started crazy for me with 6 interviews in 5 weeks, but has since dropped off to zero news from any other school in the past 2 months. I'm sending a letter of intent with fall grades next week to the one state school I interviewed at, then it's ghost protocol until classes resume late January.

Same deal with me here. Put down my deposit at my first choice DO and waiting for other state. Why are you taking classes right now though? You should spend some times off doing things instead of stuyding imo before medical school.

Why are you taking classes right now though? You should spend some times off doing things instead of stuyding imo before medical school.

Ah, I still need 12 hours to complete my chemistry degree. I've been taking 16+ for the past few semesters with 3-4 labs each term. This final one should be a nice victory lap. I think I'll be leaving with a publication too, so I'm committed to finishing my part of that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

had someone associated with an ADCOM say today:
"you're more qualified than most of our applicants, especially with clinical experience...but your grades from your freshman and sophomore year of college (10 years ago) are the only thing holding you back."

...I've done 100 postgraduate/postbacc credits since with a 3.75

Reactions: 7 users
"you're more qualified than most of our applicants, especially with clinical experience...but your grades from your freshman and sophomore year of college (10 years ago) are the only thing holding you back."

I think I would have said something along the lines of "I was hoping my strong performance in almost an entire degree's worth of credits would be sufficient to show my abilities and demonstrate that I've matured a lot in the decade since my previous poor performance.".

That sucks Tetley, hang in there.

Jesus. That's just ridiculous.

I'd guess it's less about you and more about how it makes the school look. Everyone has to account to someone.

I think I would have said something along the lines of "I was hoping my strong performance in almost an entire degree's worth of credits would be sufficient to show my abilities and demonstrate that I've matured a lot in the decade since my previous poor performance.".

That sucks Tetley, hang in there.
I said that, and they just said "eh"

Yay!!! Just got into Rosalind Franklin! Number one (of the available options) for both me and the hubby :D:soexcited:

Reactions: 13 users
I feel like they maybe didn't want to mess with their MSAR

It only takes one. At least that's what people kept telling me about selling my house. View after view and no takers for months while I'm worried I might go bankrupt paying on two places.

Finally got an offer and will be closing Dec 31 st.

So, I'm sending my good vibes your way, that you'll at least get your one school.

Same here. The other day I was told by an advisor that I'd be a welcome addition to any med school, I had a compelling story, good personality, above average MCAT but those grades from 2006-2008 were hard to get past. My last 165 credits I have a 3.9.

I got about the same thing - and I basically only had a couple bad terms when I was dual enrolled in HS...12-14 years ago. As much as they say it, stats to get your foot in the door, as well as the MSAR hit they'll take do matter to some degree

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

May I ask what you did to improve your application from round 1 to round 2?
Sure! I took a year off between applying so that I could retake the MCAT (29-->511), become a CNA and vastly inclrease my clinical exposure hours, and increase my volunteering with the underserved. I also made sure to submit AMCAS on day 1 and returned secondaries within one week.
Though 511 isn't a high MCAT, I do think it kept me from getting screened out at certain schools...and volunteering and some reflection helped me realized I wanted to work with the underserved, and I think that came through in my essays.
So far I'm up to 3 IIs with 1 acceptance v. 2014 when I had my one and only II in January.

Hey you guys thought I would tell you a little about and my nontrad story single mother has a son with autism worked the whole time in undergrad as a CNA. I graduated with low stats last year but still applied to get the fill. Currently Im in grad school getting my masters and applied this cycle got accepted to a DO school which I'm really happy about since it was a top school for me.

Reactions: 1 users
13 II's attended so far, 0 acceptances. I guess I'll attend a few more. My patience wears thin, even though almost none of my schools are rolling.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
13 II's attended so far, 0 acceptances. I guess I'll attend a few more. My patience wears thin, even though almost none of my schools are rolling.
How many interviews?

I'm curious, have you questioned your interview technique at all throughout the process? On paper, you must be a great candidate to get 13 II's...but 13 II's and no acceptances points to some issue with you interview technique/skills. Have you done any mock interviews/got feedback? Have you changed anything up between interview 1 and 13? Are you on hold out of any of the 13, or just rejections? Broadly applied? Really curious, and hopeful that things work out for you

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

How many interviews?

15 invites so far, was hoping to not have to attend the last couple, but I feel like without an acceptance in hand I probably should just keep going.

I'm curious, have you questioned your interview technique at all throughout the process? On paper, you must be a great candidate to get 13 II's...but 13 II's and no acceptances points to some issue with you interview technique/skills. Have you done any mock interviews/got feedback? Have you changed anything up between interview 1 and 13? Are you on hold out of any of the 13, or just rejections? Broadly applied? Really curious, and hopeful that things work out for you

I know my first few interviews were pretty shaky. At this point I'm probably getting to be too relaxed if anything and not really displaying enough excitement about schools. Oh, you have early clinical exposure? You're pass/fail? You have access to diverse patient populations? So innovative and unique! I did a couple mock interviews before my 1st one which were very helpful and eye opening. I feel like for the most part my interviews have been going fairly well, and I don't think I have some hidden personality issue, but you never know...

I haven't actually gotten a decision from any of the schools yet. Almost all of them release decisions in Jan/Feb/March. I have no doubt I'll get into at least 1... I was just frustrated and wanted to vent after getting "continued" at one of my top choices today (they are semi-rolling, have 3 decision dates, continued means they basically are deferring your decision to next date).

It's frustrating to see people interview and get accepted with such fast turnarounds, and I'm just sitting here on my thumbs for 3-6+ months. It's hard to make plans for the spring when so much is up in the air for next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
15 invites so far, was hoping to not have to attend the last couple, but I feel like without an acceptance in hand I probably should just keep going.

I know my first few interviews were pretty shaky. At this point I'm probably getting to be too relaxed if anything and not really displaying enough excitement about schools. Oh, you have early clinical exposure? You're pass/fail? You have access to diverse patient populations? So innovative and unique! I did a couple mock interviews before my 1st one which were very helpful and eye opening. I feel like for the most part my interviews have been going fairly well, and I don't think I have some hidden personality issue, but you never know...

I haven't actually gotten a decision from any of the schools yet. Almost all of them release decisions in Jan/Feb/March. I have no doubt I'll get into at least 1... I was just frustrated and wanted to vent after getting "continued" at one of my top choices today (they are semi-rolling, have 3 decision dates, continued means they basically are deferring your decision to next date).

It's frustrating to see people interview and get accepted with such fast turnarounds, and I'm just sitting here on my thumbs for 3-6+ months. It's hard to make plans for the spring when so much is up in the air for next year.
Oh okay just chill out don't compare yourself to other people your in your own lane let the tomorrow worry about itself stay confident you got 13 interviews unless your like some psycho killer weirdo I'm pretty sure you'll be in med school just relax its Xmas time spend time with those you love those people who been supporting you since day one stop stressing yourself out

Oh okay just chill out don't compare yourself to other people your in your own lane let the tomorrow worry about itself stay confident you got 13 interviews unless your like some psycho killer weirdo I'm pretty sure you'll be in med school just relax its Xmas time spend time with those you love those people who been supporting you since day one stop stressing yourself out

I definitely spend too much time on SDN!

@Gurby The inability to plan without admissions decisions gets to me too. I have one rejection and one waitlist so far, and waiting on a few schools for post-II decisions. In my case all but one have rolling admissions.
I also understand the interview fatigue and starting to get casual about it by the end. Sometimes repeating the same thing over and over again somehow erodes the authenticity for me.
Either way, some of the med schools I interviewed at appear to be really conservative with acceptances this year. Some have not sent out any acceptances for the past month or so. I really hope everybody hears something before the Christmas break.

Same with me, the SUC and hold lists that make it so I won't know where I'm living until May is brutal. Finding housing for a whole family that also accepts 2 dogs is gonna be - ugh - not fun.

But we gotta just hang in there. We can only control the things under our power.

Hi all, I know I've been a bit AWOL, but just wanted to say that I matched to my top choice for fellowship.

Also, Gurby, I agree with you that you should keep attending interviews until you get an acceptance. Hang in there, and good luck to you.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi all, I know I've been a bit AWOL, but just wanted to say that I matched to my top choice for fellowship.

Also, Gurby, I agree with you that you should keep attending interviews until you get an acceptance. Hang in there, and good luck to you.

Congratulations! What specialty?

I want to go into academic medicine, but was wondering what factors I should take into consideration when picking a school. I have some options, but wanted your perspective if possible.

Congratulations! What specialty?

I want to go into academic medicine, but was wondering what factors I should take into consideration when picking a school. I have some options, but wanted your perspective if possible.

Cost of attendance. I'd say that school price is the most important factor to anyone, but it goes double or triple if you're aiming for an academic job, which pays significantly less than a PP job in most cases. The other important factor when applicable is your spouse's preference concerning the locale. See my post in that other thread asking for important factors when picking schools.

I had sorta given up hope for the cycle, but I got my first interview invite today, so that's pretty neat.

Reactions: 15 users
Holy cow at this AACOM announcement today

Yeah...apparently they were giving replacement advice this week too. The fact it mentioned their lawyers more then once hints at some things going on.

The fact they implement it this coming cycle is so messed up. They should have announced it for 2-3 years to let everyone that has been planning around it cycle through

I should have applied DO. I didn't because I was really low on cash--already had to put a lot of my application costs on a credit card--and figured my chances were decent enough as a URM with a 3.96 cGPA/4.0 BCPM. The thing is I'm a horrific interviewer, though. I was rejected from one school a few weeks after interviewing there. My other two interviews were in September and October, and I've heard nothing back on them. I'm getting really scared I'm going to have to figure out a different way to get out of what is a really bad living situation. The plan was to survive until August and then get a new place near whatever school I wound up attending with loan money.

It's not technically too late to apply DO, but after browsing old online conversations from people in a similar predicament, the consensus seems to be that submitting a DO primary application in January is tantamount to pissing away thousands of dollars.