2017 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mean, idk about that.
When you have the stats he/she does, it might be worth it to apply to a few. Talk to a counselor at a school though. Like call them up and tell them your deal.

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, idk about that.
When you have the stats he/she does, it might be worth it to apply to a few. Talk to a counselor at a school though. Like call them up and tell them your deal.
A counselor at a DO school? My undergrad/post-bacc school doesn't have anyone who really knows what he or she is talking about. We barely even have a premed association.

Another concern is I never shadowed a DO, let alone got a LOR from one.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't fall into the trap like other pple on sdn and underestimate how competitive it is to apply to DO schools. Grade wise, it may appear easier compared to MD schools, but havinv a 3.7+ gpa/ 30+ MCAT is not a shoe in for DO schools, especially given the volume of applicants they receive this time of year

Members don't see this ad :)
I think she has a4.0ish/509. Which are redonkulous stats for DO.
Idk I don't trust anything anyone tells me anymore haha. Based on what everyone told me going into application season, given URM status, they should be good enough to get at least one MD acceptance, and yet here I am one rejection away from my fate resting on the decision of a single school.

Idk I don't trust anything anyone tells me anymore haha. Based on what everyone told me going into application season, given URM status, they should be good enough to get at least one MD acceptance, and yet here I am one rejection away from my fate resting on the decision of a single school.
Exactly my point. One thing this cycle has taught me is to not take the process for granted, and don't under estimate it. Either MD or DO. Great scores are only one factor of your application. You still need to have excellent writing skills, excellent interviewing skills, select your school list wisely, and to put your best foot forward in the overall application . All while competing against other students with similar scores and unique backgrounds

Exactly my point. One thing this cycle has taught me is to not take the process for granted, and don't under estimate it. Either MD or DO. Great scores are only one factor of your application. You still need to have excellent writing skills, excellent interviewing skills, select your school list wisely, and to put your best foot forward in the overall application . All while competing against other students with similar scores and unique backgrounds
Yeah. Well, hopefully one of the other 2 schools surprises me soon because I've spent the past several days in a nonstop state of paralysis and panic over not knowing where to go from here.

Yeah. Well, hopefully one of the other 2 schools surprises me soon because I've spent the past several days in a nonstop state of paralysis and panic over not knowing where to go from here.
I get all that. But I still think you're going to be fine. One or both of the schools will come through for you! How did you feel about those interviews?

I get all that. But I still think you're going to be fine. One or both of the schools will come through for you! How did you feel about those interviews?
Not as terribly as I felt about the interview at the school I didn't get into but not fantastic either. At this point, I've already been rolled over by both of them numerous times, so. :/

met with another adcom member today and she said the something similar to the last one:
"your clinical work, volunteerism, and research are A+. You've made up for your grades through the SMP really strongly. I have no doubt that if you sat for an interview, you would get an admission to this or any school you apply.

...it's just that even though your composite MCAT is very high, the optics of your single-session scores are holding you back. If you go back and do well one last time, you would have multiple offers"

I had an unbalanced score, and when i re-took went up by 6 in 3/4 sections, and down a few in the one that was super duper high. sooo my score like evened out.
this is kind of encouraging though?

met with another adcom member today and she said the something similar to the last one:
"your clinical work, volunteerism, and research are A+. You've made up for your grades through the SMP really strongly. I have no doubt that if you sat for an interview, you would get an admission to this or any school you apply.

...it's just that even though your composite MCAT is very high, the optics of your single-session scores are holding you back. If you go back and do well one last time, you would have multiple offers"

I had an unbalanced score, and when i re-took went up by 6 in 3/4 sections, and down a few in the one that was super duper high. sooo my score like evened out.
this is kind of encouraging though?

I can't understand why no one has given you a shot.

I'm not sure if you've talked about this before, but have you had folks look at your essays?

Not as terribly as I felt about the interview at the school I didn't get into but not fantastic either. At this point, I've already been rolled over by both of them numerous times, so. :/

Well I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Keep us updated!

I can't understand why no one has given you a shot.

I'm not sure if you've talked about this before, but have you had folks look at your essays?

Well I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Keep us updated!
it's just a numbers thing
i did CRAZY gpa repair and have a post-ugpa of 3.63, ALL science, publications, research, etc.

but my MCAT is just too low i guess? she said she really liked my essays

I was deferred from my top choice (basically a post II hold as you can technically be drawn off the deferred list at any time) and feel your pain. It was my top choice for both myself and my spouse, and the pain is real. I don't have any acceptances yet to find solace in, and we have no clue if my husband will be able to find a job near the two remaining prospects I have so we may be doing long distance :X. I've done two mock interviews with adcoms at my current school and they said my interview skills were great, but my confidence is shaken by the deferral. It sucks.
I understand your pain with the long distance. I got into ACOM. I live 12.5 hrs away from ACOM. My husband has to stay for work because he cannot relocate.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
13 attended interviews later, got my first acceptance. Was beginning to get pretty salty about the whole process after getting deferred at yet another school post-II earlier this week. Feels good man to have a solid "yes" in hand.

Reactions: 26 users
13 attended interviews later, got my first acceptance. Was beginning to get pretty salty about the whole process after getting deferred at yet another school post-II earlier this week. Feels good man to have a solid "yes" in hand.
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users

Yay! Congratulations!

A) got another II (WSU's charter class) B) RANT; so apparently I don't have a degree - even after walking, commencement, etc. I got an email recently saying my graduation requirements weren't met. So today I went in to my advisor, and low and behold, they screwed up almost all of my recently transferred coursework (I am taking classes at two universities, one has much stronger online catalog that works well for me since I work full time to fulfill random classes). So today I get my biochem sorted to actually count as my required biochem, apply to get my math sorted, and my very last class I took, marine ecology, well Huston, we have a problem. My advisor had failed to notice, and didn't inform me, that because the classes between my other school and UW had a difference in credits, I wouldn't fully recieve the transfer. I am left 2 credits short in advanced electives, and the school will only waive 1, so I'm ONE fcking quarter credit short of graduating.

Now I have to go back and take another last class - and our quarter finishes just before everything is due for schools, so I HAVE to get into a class, and have to pass, otherwise I'm toast.

I got the short of of the stick, on both sides. My class that had more credits that I transferred in I got less credits for at my home institution, and the other class I took that was less credits at the other institution they added incorrectly so it looked like I had more credits than I did.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
A) got another II (WSU's charter class) B) RANT; so apparently I don't have a degree - even after walking, commencement, etc. I got an email recently saying my graduation requirements weren't met. So today I went in to my advisor, and low and behold, they screwed up almost all of my recently transferred coursework (I am taking classes at two universities, one has much stronger online catalog that works well for me since I work full time to fulfill random classes). So today I get my biochem sorted to actually count as my required biochem, apply to get my math sorted, and my very last class I took, marine ecology, well Huston, we have a problem. My advisor had failed to notice, and didn't inform me, that because the classes between my other school and UW had a difference in credits, I wouldn't fully recieve the transfer. I am left 2 credits short in advanced electives, and the school will only waive 1, so I'm ONE fcking quarter credit short of graduating.

Now I have to go back and take another last class - and our quarter finishes just before everything is due for schools, so I HAVE to get into a class, and have to pass, otherwise I'm toast.

I got the short of of the stick, on both sides. My class that had more credits that I transferred in I got less credits for at my home institution, and the other class I took that was less credits at the other institution they added incorrectly so it looked like I had more credits than I did.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
That sucks... it's surprising how many curve balls can get thrown with all this. Hopefully you can take a somewhat interesting (or zone-out-easy) course!

Last edited:
IMO better to be prepared then be pleasantly surprised compared to the opposite!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

so I got my first interview, wept a little, did it, and got alternate-listed

I reeeeally don't wan't to have to reapply, but I was told during the interview again that if I re-took the mcat and got a few percentiles higher, I would have been a straight away interview and acceptance. woof.

so I got my first interview, wept a little, did it, and got alternate-listed

I reeeeally don't wan't to have to reapply, but I was told during the interview again that if I re-took the mcat and got a few percentiles higher, I would have been a straight away interview and acceptance. woof.
I was alternate listed at Wayne for a grand total of 3 weeks before getting my acceptance. Keep the hope alive, friend!

How's everyone doing? I'm waiting on one post ii response in February and that should be the end of the cycle for me. Been an interesting time.

Sigh! Reapplicant. Post-II rejected at one, waitlisted at two, waiting to hear from a few others. One will release decisions February latest. No acceptances yet. I don't expect to hear about final decisions till March, but to be honest I feel worn down by the wait. The inability to plan my life is frustrating. This should not be surprising since I would expect most people who ended up with an interview to have been planning for years: what classes to take, when to take them, when to take the MCAT, where to volunteer, who to shadow, how to do research, line up LORs... And now just waiting around. But I have to keep reminding myself that in the overall scheme of things this is a non-issue.

Reactions: 2 users
Ands it little things that are annoying. Like I really want to buy a new mattress. But I keep delaying it in case we have to move because of med school. Should I buy a new couch for the living room? Our current one is icky. But oh I don't want to waste money if we move. Life is on hold. Like I said. First world problems.

How's everyone doing? I'm waiting on one post ii response in February and that should be the end of the cycle for me. Been an interesting time.

I'm sure you have some awesome but heavy decisions to make. Are you leaning toward a particular school? After 6 interviews in the first 5 weeks, my cycle went completely cold until my wait list move yesterday.

For everyone on those wait lists, hold onto hope and send a meaningful update letter if you can. I had to take a step back from SDN as much as I good because I was driving myself crazy. I can't say what moved me off the wait list, but the update letter addressing the weakest point in my application in a quantifiable manner didn't hurt.

If I could say anything to any of you on waitlists, it'd be this:

Last year at this time, I WAS one of you. Application ready to submit, PS written, pre-written secondaries getting done, thinking about what to do this school term, and studying for the MCAT. I'm sure in the 34 pages of this post, I've written things...

My plan was done; schedule set; test scheduled.

I postponed the exam and then voided, eventually, withdrawing this cycle as well :(

But YOU! YOU - all of YOU - you DID this cycle! YOU interviewed, YOU are done with the MCAT; YOU stood at home plate, hit that ball and honestly are just waiting to see if you're waved home from 3rd base!

For a few months, I had to step away from here because it hurt - gosh darn it - to see all of YOU going on with your cycle but now, I'm so stinking happy for all of YOU because... well, YOU actually finished what you started; you applied, you completed secondaries, you interviewed.

If you are waitlisted, do not give up. I heard about people getting accepted in the last week of July (MD schools). If you are waitlisted I know a person who accepted my home state school, went to orientation and then was accepted off WL to @Jalby 's "favorite school"; that person is now an MS-2.

Point is, congrats yourself on getting THROUGH the process. There are many of us who haven't even gotten into the ball game yet and I, for one, applaud your ability to do so and am cheering you for the next few months.

Reactions: 7 users
Also feeling the need to make a decision. I LOVE school A, that I've been accepted to, and keep thinking it makes sense for so many reasons, but I'm waiting to hear after being put on hold from school B, my longtime #1 choice (home-state school, really just want to move back to the west coast) and waiting to hear back post interview from a prestigious school, school C, with notoriously generous financial aid. Really torn.

Maybe I'll get rejected from B and C and that will make the decision easier. But I have to wait until April to know about hold status from school B. And I feel like I'd feel stupid turning down school C if I were given an offer. But in many ways it doesn't feel like the right fit.

And now, I'm trying to plan a wedding, as my longtime s/o recently proposed! We're trying pick a date, but its hard without knowing where we'll be and what the academic calendar will look like for next summer. Definitely first world problems, but frustrating nonetheless. April seems really far away. Do I just go with school A???

I got a few acceptances from some really wonderful schools so I feel really fortunate. I am still waiting for two more II decisions, one from a school where I live right now (great school, probably the school that would tempt me to stay in the Northeast) and another somewhere waaaaay warmer. Definitely heavily leaning towards my only California school acceptance, but I am hoping that my waitlists for other CA schools would turn into acceptances.

Congrats to those with acceptances! I am so happy to see all y'all succeeding and that the hard work y'all put in all these months/years are paying off! I hope that you decide on the school that would a perfect fit for your academic pursuit AND your person life.

To those still waiting, are thinking of reapplying, or are starting up their apps for this coming cycle, good luck and keep grinding! Keep your head high and don't lose hope. Rebellions are built on hope. This is your dream! Do all you can to make it happen! I'll be cheering for all you!

Reactions: 2 users
For people who reapplied this cycle and were successful, any pointers? I feel my PS is very strong but likely need to update it nonetheless. Will also certainly adjust my strategy in terms of which schools to apply to, but I would love to hear what people have done when they reapplied in back-to-back cycles.

I'm playing the waiting game of where we will end up...I've got one acceptance, waiting to hear back from another II, and an II on Monday. The upcoming interview is at my alma mater, and would allow my SO and me to move back closer to our families. However, because I'm now considered OOS, it will also be our most expensive option if I get in. We'll have to weigh the the costs and benefits of each option, but for now I don't have all the resources (or acceptances!) to do so.

For people who reapplied this cycle and were successful, any pointers? I feel my PS is very strong but likely need to update it nonetheless. Will also certainly adjust my strategy in terms of which schools to apply to, but I would love to hear what people have done when they reapplied in back-to-back cycles.
I am a reapplicant this cycle. My suggestions:
-Have some people on SDN look at your stats and ECs to get real feedback. I was lacking clinical exposure and volunteer hours, and had a borderline MCAT last time I applied.
-Take the time you need to fix the problems you have. I didn't reapply right away, and during my cycle off I was able to 1) retake the MCAT 2) Become a CNA 3) Gain a lot of volunteer hours and actually be promoted at my volunteer organization in October (great update letter material).
-Being rejected became a part of my PS. This cycle I talked about an experience that I had at my job that other people in my profession would fight for, and then talked about giving it all up for medical school--something I've worked so hard for despite being in a great position career-wise. Own up to your mistakes and make sure schools know that you know what went wrong the first time, and that you took steps to fix it.
-Submit AMCAS on day one, hour one
-Make a better school list

Feel free to PM me with questions. There are a lot of good resources/people with more experience than me on SDN as well :)

EDIT: Just read the back to back cycles bit...ignore what doesn't apply to you!

Reactions: 3 users
Going to U of A - Phoenix! My wife's family lives there so she used her veto power. In all seriousness though, it's the best place for my family.

My IIs and interviews were all done by the end of October except for a late declined II from UCF.

It's not about finding THE perfect medical school. It's about finding the perfect medical school FOR YOU.

Nooooooo - you can't get in, then turn down being able to ride the tram every day! Come on, Gribear, you and I are supposed to all get in there and have a our non-trad constituency

I am a reapplicant this cycle. My suggestions:
-Have some people on SDN look at your stats and ECs to get real feedback. I was lacking clinical exposure and volunteer hours, and had a borderline MCAT last time I applied.
-Take the time you need to fix the problems you have. I didn't reapply right away, and during my cycle off I was able to 1) retake the MCAT 2) Become a CNA 3) Gain a lot of volunteer hours and actually be promoted at my volunteer organization in October (great update letter material).
-Being rejected became a part of my PS. This cycle I talked about an experience that I had at my job that other people in my profession would fight for, and then talked about giving it all up for medical school--something I've worked so hard for despite being in a great position career-wise. Own up to your mistakes and make sure schools know that you know what went wrong the first time, and that you took steps to fix it.
-Submit AMCAS on day one, hour one
-Make a better school list

Feel free to PM me with questions. There are a lot of good resources/people with more experience than me on SDN as well :)

EDIT: Just read the back to back cycles bit...ignore what doesn't apply to you!

Thank you! I know I need to apply earlier, make a better school list, and do some practice interviews. As a non-trad, I really don't really have anyone to look at my app objectively.

As a non-trad, I really don't really have anyone to look at my app objectively.
But you do. There are folks on here who will look at it that are trustworthy. You just need to ask, specifically target those whom have already been accepted or through a cycle and know the deficiencies.

If you ask, they will come... off the top of my head I know of at least 8 people on here who are non-trad and trustworthy. Available? That I can't answer.

(and no, I'm not one of the people to ask as I'm not an accepted student but if at some point I am, I'd be willing to do the same for someone else)

Non-trad(ish) here. Graduated undergrad in '06, did some non-health stuff since, applied last year (no invites), and this year (~8 II's, some attended, accepted into one of my tied-for-first top choice = over the moon excited!).

First and foremost: you still have results pending, right? There's still hope! Also, how did you like Minneapolis? I'm interviewing there next week. Been to 1 MMI so far, but excited to see the campus/what they have going on...

My advice for reapplication (given the minimal details in your post history, I'm just making a blanket list here):
-Assess what you are lacking (I don't think it's GPA or MCAT based on 3.7/511), and start addressing it yesterday. You need:
  1. Shadowing (I chose several specialties for ~5-10 hr each, added more for my second cycle to a total of 50 h -- an adcom said that was fine and not really a weak point). I'd keep shadowing (sporadic is fine, just have more then last year... I didn't do (or say I would do) any after submitting my AMCAS and no one asked).
  2. Continuous volunteering (clinical and non clinical). The first cycle I had >100 clinical and some other (< 40 h), but I was missing non-clinical/helping the needy. Added >100 hr clinical, and ~100 hr with meals on wheels, and ~50 with hospice. Importantly: keep volunteering, and note in the application that you're going to! You can enter dates (5/13-5/17 = 200 hours, 6/17-6/18 planned 50 hours). Be explicit. The first year I wrote that I would keep volunteering, but because I didn't write any anticipated hours in the time-blocks, they thought I had stopped (and didn't like that).
  3. LOR's. You have a limited number, so I'd use them wisely. I added one from my employer (likely stronger than a volunteer or course letter), and one from a basic science that I took as a postbac (where I was top of the class). I personally wouldn't use an MD letter, just because you're limited in how many you can send, and there's likely more substantial letters you can get. That said, a DO letter is heavily recommended/required for application to DO schools. I'd ask the writers to update the letters (to the current year), but you can reuse updated letters.
  4. Research -- not required I don't think, but it was a strong point in my application. If you work in a field where you can publish an abstract or present at a conference, that could be worth trying. Alternatively, if you have research, don't over emphasize it. You're applying to medical schools, not research programs. I scaled back my 'research' emphasis to a large degree. Honestly, as a non-trad, I think not having research would be a non-issue...
-Contact schools that are open to give feedback (and those that don't expressly prohibit it). Most will likely say nothing, or say they'll only discuss your application after you've been rejected everywhere (or in May/June). While that's too late to change your activities, it's not too late to hear feedback on your PS, activity descriptions, etc. Someone might say yes and provide valuable feedback from the other side of the table. I'd emphasize your non-trad status, since I think we have somewhat fewer options than a student who just graduated or had an advisor. Additionally, when you contact schools you'll demonstrate interest (which they can like), and you can determine what they value. For example, one school said this about my secondary: "Your third paragraph was good, but the rest was talking about our program -- we know what we have and what we're good at, we want to know more about you!" Haha still didn't get an II from that school the second time around, but I took it to heart for the rest of my secondaries...
-Re-write everything. It sucks, but you gotta.
-School list should be re-evaluated. I'd look at the WedgeDawg system (https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...icant-rating-system-updated-jan-2017.1131149/ using conservative estimates of your scores), looking at other WAMC threads, and apply to >20 schools. My list was way too top heavy the first cycle, and this cycle I got invites from some unexpected schools (based on my opinion, but in agreement with some of the recommendations on this site).

Thank you! I know I need to apply earlier, make a better school list, and do some practice interviews. As a non-trad, I really don't really have anyone to look at my app objectively.
Agree with Ab2b. I'd also emphasize the importance of those that "know the game", rather than simply objective in nature.

For writing: Most of my essays were critiqued by family/fiancé, but I really tried to emphasize to them what the goal was (based on my reading here, AAMC, school websites, etc). I also had a member involved with admissions review my PS (once I was 95% done), and had discussed with an adcom from my previous unsuccessful cycle.
For general app stuff: I looked heavily at the WAMC threads of others, made my own, and looked at general advice. I like VTech's website as well: http://medicine.vtc.vt.edu/admissions/re-applicants/.

It's a great sign that you got invites, so you're likely to get in or have strong reason to believe you could next year. Additionally, since you've gotten invites, I'd guess you'd be safe to reapply next year (rather than wait a year).

Good luck and keep your head up!

On 1 post II waitlist- ACOM
1 acceptance- DMU
Waiting for post-II results- Nova

I wouldn't pick ACOM over DMU so that waitlist is not relevant. However, I would probably maybe pick Nova over DMU. So I'm really relieved to have 1 acceptance at a good school that I really liked. However, Florida is home and I want to later do residency and practice in Florida. And going into the cycle Nova was my top choice DO school. Then at interview day I felt that I liked the program and campus. So we'll see.

Reactions: 3 users
1 acceptance- DMU

I wouldn't pick ACOM over DMU so that waitlist is not relevant. However, I would probably maybe pick Nova over DMU. So I'm really relieved to have 1 acceptance at a good school that I really liked. However, Florida is home and I want to later do residency and practice in Florida. And going into the cycle Nova was my top choice DO school. Then at interview day I felt that I liked the program and campus. So we'll see.
When will you be hearing back from Nova? Sending good vibes your way! Glad that you have an acceptance to a great school.

When will you be hearing back from Nova? Sending good vibes your way! Glad that you have an acceptance to a great school.

I'm not sure. I interviewed 16 days ago. They indicated that Tuesdays are the day of the week that they meet, but not which Tuesdays. So I've been super anxious every Tuesday and Wednesday. I also think they said a month maximum.

Send me a PM - I'll go over what I can - I have a whole long post I've got written out helping several other people in the last couple weeks that I can copy/paste, and I'll look over your app if you'd like and give my feedback and pass along input that I've received to get me to this point

one alternate list, 9 more complete silence, many many rejections

Contemplating one final re-take of the mcat, but dreading it because it would be so draining. again.

very frustrating

Contemplating one final re-take of the mcat, but dreading it because it would be so draining. again.
I remember reading your early posts on here.

Don't give up. If retaking the MCAT is what you think you need to do, there's others of us in the same boat (I actually need to score it for once).

Don't give up. If this is really what you want, don't stop. Am sorry to see it's been a humdinger cycle for you :(

State MD accepted. Beyond excited. I thought it'd be impossible but you never know until you go all out.

Reactions: 11 users
Another set of batches of acceptance at both schools I interviewed at many months ago without my name on either. Stepped on a nail and threw up today, too. Sigh. Every day for the past like three months has been terrible, tbh.

Withdrew from one of my acceptances today. Lovely school and wonderful people but I couldn't see myself living there for four years without going a little nuts. I'm too much of a concrete jungle person. I hope the spot goes to one of y'all.

1 acceptance- DMU

Update: Accepted at Nova!!!!!!!! :banana:

Reactions: 17 users