2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Holy cow, girl! You are a rockstar. Please enjoy a well-deserved break this holiday season!!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You too!!! :)

Also, anyone else think we need an "in the midst of interview craziness" thread?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Woodhull Medical Center
INVITE!!!
Phone call 12/20
Date offered: 1/9

Miracles do happen you guys! And with the last site I was waiting to hear from (outside of my waitlist status at Citrus Health)!!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
How were your completed interviews so far? Congrats on so many!

Thanks for the kind words! The interview process has been exhausting! A lot of sites ask the same kinds of questions, but it still doesn't make it any less anxiety provoking. I'm just hoping to match with one of my top 4 sites and I'll be happy. :)

Hope the process has been going smoothly for you!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have an idea what appropriate attire for VA Puget Sound, American Lake is? VA Puget Sound, Seattle specified business casual and I'm sure American Lake will be sending out additional info soon, but I'm packing now and won't be back home before! I don't necessarily want to send an email just to ask, but also don't want to pack my suit if I don't have to.

Tuscaloosa Va
No track
Invite
12/20
personal email
Interview days Jan 12th and 19th. I cant make either of these so Im not sure whats going to happen....
This was my last site to hear from!

Reactions: 4 users
Yess!!!
Canandaigua VA
Neuro Track
Personal Email
Dates:1/26& 1/12
Sanity:Already anxiously awaiting having to wait almost an entire month to know what the math results are but extremely excited that I have three interviews out of 24 sites so there’s a chance!

FRom what I have heard 3-4 interviews for neuro is GREAT!!

Reactions: 3 users
I know that some people mentioned they received responses from University of WV Health Sciences, after emailing requesting a site visit. Just wondering if anyone else has not received a response back after requesting a visit? I've emailed twice (an initial email and a follow-up email a week later) and have not heard anything.

Site: Woodhull Medical Center
Track: Adult
Invite/Rejection: Rejection
Type: Mass email
Notification Date: 12/20/17 around 7pm

Last edited:
Ok, we'll call it a want instead of a need. I'm from a hot climate. And I said colder, not cold, so there. :p
Nope. I live in SLC and it definitely gets cold! Depends on the price range and how cold it is.. options could range from REI to Old Navy/Gap! PM me if you really want some SLC shopping advice :)

A colleague of mine is asking if anyone heard from clearstone consortium? I think it's in FL? Pm if you prefer not to answer on here.

Has anyone interviewed in a very cold/potentially snowy climate yet? I want to be prepared for the worst since there’s a good chance I’ll be in snow during my Midwest/northeast interviews. If so, what shoes did you wear? I’m from the south and let’s just say I’ve had zero luck finding snow boots/winter boots with traction for an inexpensive price (think $60 and under and that’s pushing it). Also, I’m extremely clumsy and I’ve been known to fall wearing flat shoes on non-icy ground. Please help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone interviewed in a very cold/potentially snowy climate yet? I want to be prepared for the worst since there’s a good chance I’ll be in snow during my Midwest/northeast interviews. If so, what shoes did you wear? I’m from the south and let’s just say I’ve had zero luck finding snow boots/winter boots with traction for an inexpensive price (think $60 and under and that’s pushing it). Also, I’m extremely clumsy and I’ve been known to fall wearing flat shoes on non-icy ground. Please help!
I bought some ankle booties to potentially wear, although my pumps are so comfortable (Michael Kors Dorothy flex pump, literally cannot recommend these enough) my plan is to wear these exclusively onsite. Depending on the weather, I might wear ankle booties to the interview and then change into my pumps once inside. I was in both the Northeast and Midwest earlier this week and there was snow on the ground but not on the sidewalks or road so I haven't yet had an issue. As a fellow Southern gal, I know the struggle!

edit: I should also add, the ankle booties I bought were by no means "winter boots." They were just more sturdy and warmer than a pump haha

Reactions: 2 users
FRom what I have heard 3-4 interviews for neuro is GREAT!!

Yeah I just was unprepared for the amount of rejections I received, but also so appreciative for the ones that I got. Definitely more hopeful for phase I of the match!

I live in Chicago and I am originally from New Orleans and what saved me when I first moved up here was acquiring a pair of boots that look dressy but can also double as warm shoes. Also because of the salt and the water you don’t want to spend too much, so what I recommend is Payless. That is actually where I’ve gotten all of my winter shoes from and they’ve held up for the past three years.

I bought some ankle booties to potentially wear, although my pumps are so comfortable (Michael Kors Dorothy flex pump, literally cannot recommend these enough) my plan is to wear these exclusively onsite. Depending on the weather, I might wear ankle booties to the interview and then change into my pumps once inside. I was in both the Northeast and Midwest earlier this week and there was snow on the ground but not on the sidewalks or road so I haven't yet had an issue. As a fellow Southern gal, I know the struggle!

edit: I should also add, the ankle booties I bought were by no means "winter boots." They were just more sturdy and warmer than a pump haha

Those pumps are so cute! But unless they have a low block heel, this clumsy girl can’t go that route. I need to go check out some more stores tomorrow! Have had absolutely no luck so far.

I live in Chicago and I am originally from New Orleans and what saved me when I first moved up here was acquiring a pair of boots that look dressy but can also double as warm shoes. Also because of the salt and the water you don’t want to spend too much, so what I recommend is Payless. That is actually where I’ve gotten all of my winter shoes from and they’ve held up for the past three years.

Payless is a brilliant idea! I will definitely check it out. Thanks :)

Reactions: 1 user
Those pumps are so cute! But unless they have a low block heel, this clumsy girl can’t go that route. I need to go check out some more stores tomorrow! Have had absolutely no luck so far.
Totally get it! Aldo and Cole Haan have some cute low, block heeled shoes (and maybe boots?). I did a search for ankle booties on dsw.com and then checked Amazon and actually found them for cheaper. So if Payless doesn't work out, that might be another strategy. Good luck! :)

I know that some people mentioned they received responses from University of WV Health Sciences, after emailing requesting a site visit. Just wondering if anyone else has not received a response back after requesting a visit? I've emailed twice (an initial email and a follow-up email a week later) and have not heard anything.

That is incredibly strange! After I had inquired here in this thread, and emailed the training director at 10pm at night. I had a response in my inbox by 7am the next morning. Maybe call their administrative assistant?

Totally get it! Aldo and Cole Haan have some cute low, block heeled shoes (and maybe boots?). I did a search for ankle booties on dsw.com and then checked Amazon and actually found them for cheaper. So if Payless doesn't work out, that might be another strategy. Good luck! :)

I'm obviously not going to buy these https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524447099190&site_refer=CSE_GGLPRADS001&gclid=CjwKCAiA1O3RBRBHEiwAq5fD_EEhy7nZ8HFsfRQ6XeYOP2LkbZlwgd8HffqbNoOfXU6QvsEiKupvwhoClWIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds for many reasons but I know they exist and part of me wants to wear them to interviews. Maybe alternate universe me can have them.

Reactions: 5 users

I unfortunately have lived in the cold my entire life. I wear winter boots and store dress shoes in my purse or bag. And change into the work shoes when I get somewhere so my feet aren’t wet And cold all day. Trust me you won’t get weird looks-places barely clear snowy icy paths up my way in mass.

Boscovs has an awesome winter boot sale right now! I got a trendier pair for $20. Stay warm my friend!

Reactions: 2 users
I ended up grabbing some cheap wedge booties at Ross. Basically, my goal was to get something I could wear inside and out without having to haul an extra pair around. So, I wanted them to appear both professional and appear to be sensible enough to interviewers so they wouldn't question whether I could "make it" in the climate. Disclosure: I'm pretty athletic, so was really only concerned with appearances and not really concerned with danger of slipping and falling outside and figured I could just deal with the cold for temporary short periods for interview purposes.

In the end, they are comfortable as hell and I'll probably wear them as often as I can in every professional setting from Maine to Bermuda (not that I applied to either). On the other hand, the bottoms were slippery af, and I need to scuff them up on a sidewalk, because I kept slipping while trying to push myself up and readjust in my chair in the climate controlled room of my first interview. In the South. :laugh:

Site: Hutchings Psychiatric Center
Track: Adult
Type: Personal email
Notification Date: 12/21/17 around 4:45pm EST

Last one! They acknowledged their 12/14 and 12/18 notifications had problems and did not get sent.

To all you Hallmark channel (and James Franco) lovers out there...

That is incredibly strange! After I had inquired here in this thread, and emailed the training director at 10pm at night. I had a response in my inbox by 7am the next morning. Maybe call their administrative assistant?
Huh. I have emailed the training director twice. Would you mind messaging me with the email you used in order to contact the training director? I want to make sure I am sending it to the correct email.

Hi everyone! I am relatively new to the thread other than occasionally checking in on the site interview statuses (and more recently being #blessed enough to read through some of the drama that is peace and love hahaha). Overall, I have REALLY appreciated all of the support, guidance, and advice given. Seriously so helpful! On that note, I have a question and I am not sure if it has already been asked so I apologize if that's the case....

Almost all of my interviews are UCC and do phone/skype/zoom (some have more than 1 which I find to be a bit annoying but that's another topic), but there are many that also have site visits or "informal" open houses. With that said, what is the importance placed on these visits? Extra interviewing and travel sounds like a real pain so I'm trying to weigh the odds for deciding to attend. Side note: The travel/added interviews sounds so stressful on top of what feels like a million interviews (14 total) and needing to propose my dissertation (running late AF).

To make matters worse, some of the open houses are on the same day so I would have to choose between them (if I decide to attend at all). I know some specifically mention that it is not at all required (emphasis on being for applicants), but some sites "strongly recommend" site visits, specifically CU Boulder. How are you guys handling this?!

Hi everyone! I am relatively new to the thread other than occasionally checking in on the site interview statuses (and more recently being #blessed enough to read through some of the drama that is peace and love hahaha). Overall, I have REALLY appreciated all of the support, guidance, and advice given. Seriously so helpful! On that note, I have a question and I am not sure if it has already been asked so I apologize if that's the case....

Almost all of my interviews are UCC and do phone/skype/zoom (some have more than 1 which I find to be a bit annoying but that's another topic), but there are many that also have site visits or "informal" open houses. With that said, what is the importance placed on these visits? Extra interviewing and travel sounds like a real pain so I'm trying to weigh the odds for deciding to attend. Side note: The travel/added interviews sounds so stressful on top of what feels like a million interviews (14 total) and needing to propose my dissertation (running late AF).

To make matters worse, some of the open houses are on the same day so I would have to choose between them (if I decide to attend at all). I know some specifically mention that it is not at all required (emphasis on being for applicants), but some sites "strongly recommend" site visits, specifically CU Boulder. How are you guys handling this?!
I'm also a UCC-heavy applicant in a very similar boat. I have put my sites in a "as of now" tier system (tier 1 for my top sites, tier 2 for my next favorites, tier 3 for the least favorite) and attempted to schedule the interviews for my tier 1s and 2s for before their open houses. That way, I can see which sites seem like my #wandsite and prioritize visiting those open houses.

That being said, I am only doing that for the optional sites, and will likely only add one open house to my list. I am doing onsite interviews with those who recommend or prefer them at all. If you've got a conflict between an optional-but-not-necessary open house of a top site and a strongly recommended open house of a less crushworthy site, I think you have to weigh your needs (for feeling out sites) and what you think will ultimately help you best rank and be placed at a site, with what will help you be desirable to them. It sounds like you've got options, so make sure you interview and assess them for best fit, not just try to be most appealing. And good luck!

Site: Manhattan Psychiatric Center
Type: Dear Applicant (mass email)
Notification Date: 12/22, 10AM EST

Last one for me! Kind of a relief to get to stop incessantly checking everything :) Merry and bright holidays to all!!

To everyone still waiting on late notifications...my heart goes out to you and I'm sending hope that you receive news TODAY.

As for me, the waiting is finally over. I survived.

Reactions: 10 users
Trinitas Regional Medical Center
- Invite! Totally wasn't expecting this since their invites went out weeks ago
- 12/15, personal email
- Interview date: January 4th

Reactions: 8 users

I'm not a UCC person and am doing all in-person interviews except for 1 (due to a scheduling conflict), but for what it's worth, I was told that my impressions of sites would change significantly after visiting them in person. I've attended 3 interviews so far and this has absolutely been the case on all ends of the spectrum (i.e., reallyyyyyy NOT feeling a site to being pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed another that was just kinda "meh" on paper). So I might follow the recommendation of @eventualphd and prioritize your sites by how much you like them on paper, and then see if attending those (maybe your top 3 or so?) would be feasible. Traveling is absolutely hectic (not to mention expensive AF) especially in the context of all the other demands we have as grad students. AND, you're going to match at a place for a year, so wouldn't it be great to try to get a feel for the site and the city if you can? Whatever you decide, good luck! And Happy Holidays :)

They are doing personal calls for invites today!
Still crickets on my end, just send me the rejection email so I can book the rest of my flights plz! Or maybe they saw my post and took it as a formal rejection of their impending invitation!

Should be expect a reply to a thank you email? I sent a thank you email to my dream site but did not get a reply.

I'm not a UCC person and am doing all in-person interviews except for 1 (due to a scheduling conflict), but for what it's worth, I was told that my impressions of sites would change significantly after visiting them in person. I've attended 3 interviews so far and this has absolutely been the case on all ends of the spectrum (i.e., reallyyyyyy NOT feeling a site to being pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed another that was just kinda "meh" on paper). So I might follow the recommendation of @eventualphd and prioritize your sites by how much you like them on paper, and then see if attending those (maybe your top 3 or so?) would be feasible. Traveling is absolutely hectic (not to mention expensive AF) especially in the context of all the other demands we have as grad students. AND, you're going to match at a place for a year, so wouldn't it be great to try to get a feel for the site and the city if you can? Whatever you decide, good luck! And Happy Holidays :)

This. I, too, have had 3 interviews and I was pleasantly (or not so pleasantly) surprised by all three sites. I think the biggest thing that has helped me is to observe the behavior of current interns to see if they are actually happy at the site.

Reactions: 3 users
So why are applicants held to strict deadlines but these sites and training directors aren't?

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to apply if I turned in my materials two weeks past deadline. Pretty cool that sites can just ignore previously set deadlines to no consequence.

Still crickets on my end, just send me the rejection email so I can book the rest of my flights plz! Or maybe they saw my post and took it as a formal rejection of their impending invitation!

Crossing my fingers for you since it seems they sent out a mass rejection!

So why are applicants held to strict deadlines but these sites and training directors aren't?

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to apply if I turned in my materials two weeks past deadline. Pretty cool that sites can just ignore previously set deadlines to no consequence.

Although you can't see it directly, there likely are consequences to the site. Applicants get frustrated with this and tend to rank the site lower. When applicants rank the site lower, the site doesn't do as well in the match and gets applicants who were lower on their rank list.

And the moment has come...

-Department of State Hospitals - Napa State Hospital
-REJECTION :yuck:
-12/23 at 1:21 pm EST
-Mass email

MERRY CHRISTMAS! :laugh:

But really... I just wanted to know SOMETHING bc they were the only site I was waiting on and I wanted to book all my flights... you know, bc my head would explode if I couldn't organize my entire life at once :lol:

:boom:

Now I can happily finish planning my month out... down to the very last detail :soexcited:

And the moment has come...

-Department of State Hospitals - Napa State Hospital
-REJECTION :yuck:
-12/23 at 1:21 pm EST
-Mass email

MERRY CHRISTMAS! :laugh:

But really... I just wanted to know SOMETHING bc they were the only site I was waiting on and I wanted to book all my flights... you know, bc my head would explode if I couldn't organize my entire life at once :lol:

:boom:

Now I can happily finish planning my month out... down to the very last detail :soexcited:
Right there with ya! Also a rejection. But at least this hellish process is over....right?
tenor.gif

So, for the "non-mandatory" open-houses, should I still be wearing a suit? Or is that overkill? Especially in UCC's. I don't want to overdo it, plus Spirit allows a purse only or you pay a lot for luggage :p