2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also- if a site emails you after interviewing like WE THINK YOU ARE A GREAT FIT FOR OUR PROGRAM....is that like a *nudge nudge*? Or is that just being nice. And if training directors reply with "ITS MY PLEASURE TO HAVE INTERVIEWED YOU" within a few hours of sending your thank-you...is that also a "we still really like you?" Just trying to understand this mess lol and know where there's a good chance of being ranked high! I'm going to go stress eat more cookies now.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Site: DSH-Napa
Invite
Mass invite at 1:09PM EST
Dates:
Wednesday, January 10th
Wednesday, January 17th
Friday, January 19th
Tuesday, January 23rd
Wednesday, January 24th
Friday, January 26th

This was my last notification. Good luck to everyone on interviews! Can’t wait to see y’all out there!

Reactions: 6 users
Also- if a site emails you after interviewing like WE THINK YOU ARE A GREAT FIT FOR OUR PROGRAM....is that like a *nudge nudge*? Or is that just being nice. And if training directors reply with "ITS MY PLEASURE TO HAVE INTERVIEWED YOU" within a few hours of sending your thank-you...is that also a "we still really like you?" Just trying to understand this mess lol and know where there's a good chance of being ranked high! I'm going to go stress eat more cookies now.

Don't read into replies or non-replies. It is very likely that the site has a canned response to email back to all applicants that send a follow up thank you (if the sites even respond at all). Some may just not respond because of the time it takes - even if you're their #1. It's truly best to rank them how you want to and not guess where sites are going to rank you. If you look at the algorithm, it'll only hurt you to do this.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Although you can't see it directly, there likely are consequences to the site. Applicants get frustrated with this and tend to rank the site lower. When applicants rank the site lower, the site doesn't do as well in the match and gets applicants who were lower on their rank list.

Oh boo hoo. They still get to match with people.

Maybe when the deadline comes to submit my site rankings, I should just contact APPIC and say that I've added a new step to how I determine how I want to rank my sites and I'll be a week or so late to submitting my match preferences. I'm sure there will be no issue with this.

Maybe when the deadline comes to submit my site rankings, I should just contact APPIC and say that I've added a new step to how I determine how I want to rank my sites and I'll be a week or so late to submitting my match preferences. I'm sure there will be no issue with this.

Throughout this thread, several of us have tried to help you see things from a different perspective. Yet it seems that you refuse to look at things any other way. If you continue this way of thinking, you will likely cause yourself much more distress, struggle on internship, and with finding a postdoc and employment as well. I hope you are able to find a balance for yourself.

Throughout this thread, several of us have tried to help you see things from a different perspective. Yet it seems that you refuse to look at things any other way. If you continue this way of thinking, you will likely cause yourself much more distress, struggle on internship, and with finding a postdoc and employment as well. I hope you are able to find a balance for yourself.

No, throughout this thread people have repeatedly downplayed my frustrations and constantly made excuses for sites and training directors (Why won't anyone think of these plucky little organizations!?). People are constantly trying to say that the entire process isn't fundamentally broken and detrimental to the mental health of applicants. No one should ever suggest any changes or improvements because the process has to stay exactly how it is forever because ~*~*~REASONS~*~*~.

This internship application process feels more akin to a hazing ritual than professional development.

I'm still waiting on a site (likely a rejection, but oh well :shrug:) that is over a week past the deadline. It is absolutely super frustrating and annoying when sites can't stick to their notification deadlines for whatever reason, especially given all the blood, sweat, tears, and MONEY (y'all, all those dollars :greedy::hungover::dead:) we've invested in the process. AND, for whatever reason, the reality remains that some sites just can't abide by their notification dates. Full stop. That doesn't make it any less frustrating and it doesn't make it right or fair, AND that is the reality at this moment. This is just one of many things over the last several months that I've had to think dialectically about and radically accept which has helped shake me out of a lot of the misery associated with this process. I don't say this to tell you how to feel, just to say I totally get how tough this process is and I hope that maybe this could be a helpful strategy for you too. :)

As for @str63, thanks again for feedback from the other side of this process! I really appreciate you (and all the other TDs and supervisors) taking the time to enlighten us and just give some insight into how this looks from a different perspective, as I hope to someday be where you're at. And Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all! :biglove:

Reactions: 10 users
I'm still waiting on a site (likely a rejection, but oh well :shrug:) that is over a week past the deadline. It is absolutely super frustrating and annoying when sites can't stick to their notification deadlines for whatever reason, especially given all the blood, sweat, tears, and MONEY (y'all, all those dollars :greedy::hungover::dead:) we've invested in the process. AND, for whatever reason, the reality remains that some sites just can't abide by their notification dates. Full stop. That doesn't make it any less frustrating and it doesn't make it right or fair, AND that is the reality at this moment. This is just one of many things over the last several months that I've had to think dialectically about and radically accept which has helped shake me out of a lot of the misery associated with this process. I don't say this to tell you how to feel, just to say I totally get how tough this process is and I hope that maybe this could be a helpful strategy for you too. :)

As for @str63, thanks again for feedback from the other side of this process! I really appreciate you taking the time to enlighten us and just give some insight into how this looks from a different perspective, as I hope to someday be where you're at. And Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all! :biglove:

I wish I could love this reply, @slaney

This whole process is one big practice in dialectical thinking and radical acceptance.

I will echo, Happy Holidays to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I highly suggest you disguise your negative attitude on the three interviews you did get. I can only imagine how you come across in person if you are this unlikable online

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
No, throughout this thread people have repeatedly downplayed my frustrations and constantly made excuses for sites and training directors (Why won't anyone think of these plucky little organizations!?). People are constantly trying to say that the entire process isn't fundamentally broken and detrimental to the mental health of applicants. No one should ever suggest any changes or improvements because the process has to stay exactly how it is forever because ~*~*~REASONS~*~*~.

This internship application process feels more akin to a hazing ritual than professional development.

I completely understand the frustration of waiting and in no way did I say it wasn't frustrating. Just made a point to say that it DOES hurt the sites that do this. Nobody ever said the process was foolproof and doesn't need changing. My problem is that you are rude in your responses and refuse to see things from a different perspective. This will make things very challenging for you if you want a clinical career.

As for @str63, thanks again for feedback from the other side of this process! I really appreciate you (and all the other TDs and supervisors) taking the time to enlighten us and just give some insight into how this looks from a different perspective, as I hope to someday be where you're at. And Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all! :biglove:

Completely understand and you all should hear back prior to the deadline. Makes a frustrating process all that more difficult. If you don't hear, and it is past the deadline, you have every right to email the TD of that program.

FYI - The reason I come across a bit more harsh toward this stuff is that I am an outsider to the program. I'm actually not a doctoral student, my partner is. I came to this forum to help her find information with regard to sites and the process. I also listen to her anxieties and frustrations and channel them back here to find out more.

As someone who is a grad student in a program completely unrelated to psychology, I'm able to be a bit more no-filter in this process. From what I've observed, a great deal of people posting here are constantly trying to act on their best behavior (because what if my potential future training director sees and then somehow connects this account back to me oh god the anxiety whatever will I do) even though they are angry and frustrated with the process.

It feels like overall, people are scared of being actually honest and critical with any frustrations and problems because they're worried for some reason? When it comes to any criticisms, most people I see commenting to do everything they can to downplay their own feelings like they're going to get in trouble if they are actually honest with out they feel about everything.

FYI - The reason I come across a bit more harsh toward this stuff is that I am an outsider to the program. I'm actually not a doctoral student, my partner is. I came to this forum to help her find information with regard to sites and the process. I also listen to her anxieties and frustrations and channel them back here to find out more.

As someone who is a grad student in a program completely unrelated to psychology, I'm able to be a bit more no-filter in this process. From what I've observed, a great deal of people posting here are constantly trying to act on their best behavior (because what if my potential future training director sees and then somehow connects this account back to me oh god the anxiety whatever will I do) even though they are angry and frustrated with the process.

It feels like overall, people are scared of being actually honest and critical with any frustrations and problems because they're worried for some reason? When it comes to any criticisms, most people I see commenting to do everything they can to downplay their own feelings like they're going to get in trouble if they are actually honest with out they feel about everything.
This makes way more sense now

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Although you can't see it directly, there likely are consequences to the site. Applicants get frustrated with this and tend to rank the site lower. When applicants rank the site lower, the site doesn't do as well in the match and gets applicants who were lower on their rank list.

Furthermore, the more I think about this, the more I realize it’s not true. Especially for competitive places such as Napa State. For some random small clinic, maybe it is true. But when it comes to places such as Napa State or any other super competitive places, people are not going to rank them lower because they took an extra 10 days to respond and give rejection and acceptance letters. So with the Napa State being the primary example, they are able to get away with giving their responses over a week past the deadline with essentially no consequence.

Members don't see this ad :)

So you were posing as a student? Why the posts about getting interviews and venting your frustrations about waiting to here back? That doesn’t sound like a partner... that sounds like someone who is frustrated by the process of applying to internship. You’re story doesn’t line up.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
So you were posing as a student? Why the posts about getting interviews and venting your frustrations about waiting to here back? That doesn’t sound like a partner... that sounds like someone who is frustrated by the process of applying to internship. You’re story doesn’t line up.

Like I said, I was venting my partner’s frustration and sharing that with the thread. My partner has always kept me involved in the entire process of their doctoral school life.

And also, I have had multiple people in this thread message me thanking me for being so open and real about the process, further saying that they themselves did not feel the ability to be completely honest and open with their frustrations with the process.

Like I said, I was venting my partner’s frustration and sharing that with the thread. My partner has always kept me involved in the entire process of their doctoral school life.

And also, I have had multiple people in this thread message me thanking me for being so open and real about the process, further saying that they themselves did not feel the ability to be completely honest and open with their frustrations with the process.

It doesn’t make sense to me. Why didn’t you just say you were venting your perception of the process since your partner was applying. Being open and real is fine - venting out your anger online while posing as a student is different. Just my 2 cents. It’s a frustrating process for everyone but those who are prepared for these frustrations also go about it differently. For example- I know there’s bias being a counseling student, that it’s competitive and that sites may see my school as unfavorable (since we are closing). So I took extra steps to make sure I got a decent amount of interviews.

Vent for your partner not posing as a student and venting. There may be other partners who share the same frustrations/anger as well

Furthermore, the more I think about this, the more I realize it’s not true. Especially for competitive places such as Napa State. For some random small clinic, maybe it is true. But when it comes to places such as Napa State or any other super competitive places, people are not going to rank them lower because they took an extra 10 days to respond and give rejection and acceptance letters. So with the Napa State being the primary example, they are able to get away with giving their responses over a week past the deadline with essentially no consequence.

Think of it this way - any given student (e.g., your partner) is 100% able to not rank a site if they don't like their behavior, just like any site is able to not rank an applicant if the applicant doesn't submit stuff on time or whatever. Also, there isn't really a "deadline." The "suggested" date is December 15th, but there isn't a hard deadline; they just have to tell us eventually. And while I didn't apply there, a cohortmate did, so I know they've repeatedly gotten back in contact with applicants to apologize and let them know they're working on it. If that's a place your partner applied to, she doesn't have to rank them. It doesn't really matter if someone else does, just like how if someone is late applying to one site but not another, they potentially don't get to match at that one site, but will elsewhere. It is frustrating. Many of us are frustrated and would love to see systemic changes, but it also doesn't mean the process is INTENDED to be extra hard/upsetting for us applicants, or INTENDED to weight toward sites. And each individual site, in particular, is not the one responsible for the system being broken, so I'm not sure why shi**ing on them is necessary. Maybe direct your venom toward APPIC, since they're the overarching organization, not any one site? I'm not on here thinking that maybe my future TD is, and so I need to behave a certain way. This IS my unfiltered opinion. I understand others feel differently. Okay. That's fine.

I agree with several other folks that there are many ways to look at it. If you/your partner want to make systemic changes, that's fabulous - but I don't think it will happen via berating people and speaking rudely on this forum.

Reactions: 9 users

I will say that I, as an applicant in this process, have - much like your partner - been voicing my frustrations, anxieties, and insecurities about this process. Also like your partner (and unlike you) I've directed my venting and dysregulation to loved ones and other supports, not to this message board of strangers. It seems wholly unhelpful to bring that negativity to this message board, a message board of strangers with no responsibility for or formal connection to the process.

This thread has developed from a place to report invitations into a place to receive support. It's now clear why you were unwilling to hear the support given - you never wanted it in the first place. What you may not realize, however is how much space you took from those of us who were interested in that. I have no doubt that your posts provided some validation to others, and I hope they have been able to find a space to get support, either within this forum or another space. Unfortunately, you also took a meaningful, supportive, positive space from the rest of us, by fueling arguments and telling others why they are wrong. I truly hope this is helping you better support your partner in a way that is meaningful for them.

Reactions: 11 users
Maybe direct your venom toward APPIC, since they're the overarching organization

I do agree that it may be beneficial in discussing this with regard to APPIC.

Personally, I think that the way that APPIC runs this process is completely ****ed and the entire process needs to be revamped.

I would do this through destigmatization of Phase 2. So many doctoral students I've talked to have discussed their anxieties about phase 1, with fears of falling into the the phase 2 hole. Sure there are plenty of people that will come in and be like "Oh, I know people who went through to phase 2 and got a good placement. Hell, even I did that." but you cannot deny there is a stigma about falling into phase 2. I would shift the process to reduce the load on phase 1 and reduce the stigma of phase 2 to paint it as more of a "you can improve and try again in phase 2."

With the current process, if you don't match in phase 1, you just have to scramble to find a phase 2 match (usually by greatly lowering your standards of what you're looking for).

How I would change the process:
1 - Require sites to be more specific on their APPIC listing of what they're looking for. If you require a certain number of specifically therapy hours and you're going to deny assessment heavy people, put that in to stop wasting peoples time. No more "You reached the 500 hour goal, but it was mostly assessment. we wanted mostly therapy." Sites should be far more specific in what they're looking for in applicants.
2 - Remove application fees. Nothing feels ****tier than paying $500-$1000 to get to have a bunch of people reject you. What are application fees even being used for?
3 - Put a limit on phase 1. All applicants can only apply to 10 sites in phase one. This is to counter balance the removal of application fees. You can't have everyone applying everywhere.
4 - Put a hard deadline on sites to give rejections. Set it Dec. 15. All sites must give their acceptances/rejections by then, or else you don't get to give any.
5 - Require feedback to be given to all rejected applicants. This way they can work on improving their overall package prior to phase 2. Some may need to rethink their cover letters. Others may need to revamp essays. Some still may realize they are better first for different styles of sites (assessment vs therapy).
6 - When moving the phase 2, simple expand the process. Half of the applicants should be matched by now, so there should be less applicants overall. Maybe allow applications for up to 15 sites. A large percentage of good sites will still be around in phase 2, moreso than how the process currently runs.

Overall, I think the major cause of anxiety for a lot of people is the overall stigma of phase 2. Furthermore, when people have a multitude of interviews in phase 1, they're going to be stressed trying to pack that all in (you've all certainly seen it already on this forum). Relax the process a little and destigmatize phase 2.

I do agree that it may be beneficial in discussing this with regard to APPIC.

Personally, I think that the way that APPIC runs this process is completely ****ed and the entire process needs to be revamped.

I would do this through destigmatization of Phase 2. So many doctoral students I've talked to have discussed their anxieties about phase 1, with fears of falling into the the phase 2 hole. Sure there are plenty of people that will come in and be like "Oh, I know people who went through to phase 2 and got a good placement. Hell, even I did that." but you cannot deny there is a stigma about falling into phase 2. I would shift the process to reduce the load on phase 1 and reduce the stigma of phase 2 to paint it as more of a "you can improve and try again in phase 2."

With the current process, if you don't match in phase 1, you just have to scramble to find a phase 2 match (usually by greatly lowering your standards of what you're looking for).

How I would change the process:
1 - Require sites to be more specific on their APPIC listing of what they're looking for. If you require a certain number of specifically therapy hours and you're going to deny assessment heavy people, put that in to stop wasting peoples time. No more "You reached the 500 hour goal, but it was mostly assessment. we wanted mostly therapy." Sites should be far more specific in what they're looking for in applicants.
2 - Remove application fees. Nothing feels ****tier than paying $500-$1000 to get to have a bunch of people reject you. What are application fees even being used for?
3 - Put a limit on phase 1. All applicants can only apply to 10 sites in phase one. This is to counter balance the removal of application fees. You can't have everyone applying everywhere.
4 - Put a hard deadline on sites to give rejections. Set it Dec. 15. All sites must give their acceptances/rejections by then, or else you don't get to give any.
5 - Require feedback to be given to all rejected applicants. This way they can work on improving their overall package prior to phase 2. Some may need to rethink their cover letters. Others may need to revamp essays. Some still may realize they are better first for different styles of sites (assessment vs therapy).
6 - When moving the phase 2, simple expand the process. Half of the applicants should be matched by now, so there should be less applicants overall. Maybe allow applications for up to 15 sites. A large percentage of good sites will still be around in phase 2, moreso than how the process currently runs.

Overall, I think the major cause of anxiety for a lot of people is the overall stigma of phase 2. Furthermore, when people have a multitude of interviews in phase 1, they're going to be stressed trying to pack that all in (you've all certainly seen it already on this forum). Relax the process a little and destigmatize phase 2.

Put a limit to phase 1? Sorry that’s a sophisticated move to apply to more sites if you are aware you have more challenges. Maybe your partner should have applied to more sites? 15 isn’t enough if there’s a lot of factors against you. Phase 2 is not stigmatized- it’s purely another chance to try again. People don’t care if you match to phase 1 or 11. It just sucks for the applicant. That doesn’t mean “lowering your standards.” That means focusing on different goals. That’s demeaning to folks who tried a different approach on phase 2. In regards to your first point, uhhh they do ask for a certain amount of hours. I’m sorry you or “your partner” focused more on assessment rather than therapy. There are so many factors at play that I’m *hoping* you are NOT a grad student. You truly do not understand multiple factors in regards to assessment vs therapy hours. I give up - you must be a troll. Nothing you say makes sense

It would be great to apply to more than 15 sites. Except for the fact you’re paying $50 or more for every site you’re applying to.

Howard University
Invite
Dates: Jan. 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 12
I'm finally done hearing from my sites as of today. It's been awesome to have a place to share the process, thank you all for sharing the forum.

Howard University
Invite
Dates: Jan. 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 12
I'm finally done hearing from my sites as of today. It's been awesome to have a place to share the process, thank you all for sharing the forum.
Congrats on being done and ending on a high note! Thanks for being a part of the #forumfam! Good luck with interviews!

Reactions: 5 users
animated.gif

In the spirit of keeping this a supportive space, I hope everyone has time and space for rest and reflection before we all head into/continue the interview phase. I've certainly found this experience to be very stressful and difficult, and I am SO grateful I found this forum and connected with all of you. Thank you for the laughs and mutual support, #forumfam! I hope to get to meet some of you in person during interviews (what's our code word/nametag symbol??) and am wishing all of you the very best during the holiday season. Merry Peetzit and Happy Christmas Prince-ing!

Reactions: 11 users

APA sites are already required to do this on their internship website under the heading "Internship admissions, support and initial placement data." Failure to have this information posted jeopardizes their accreditation status.

It costs a lot of money to host servers that are capable of handling all of the aspects of the online portal system. My guess is that most of the money goes there. I'm also willing to bet you could ask APPIC and they would point you to a budget document.

When initially establishing the fees they took into account the cost applicants were paying to send paper applications to their sites and set the fees in accordance with that cost so as to not make it more expensive than the process already was for applicants.

There is already an informal limit. That's why the cost goes up after 15 - to encourage people to limit the number of applications to the percentages that are statistically shown to be beneficial.

I agree that sites need to stick to their deadlines and I think it sucks that there are sites that apparently blatantly disregard the agreement they've signed that mandates everyone gets notified in phase I by the notification date established by the site. I doubt making every site have the same notification date will eliminate this issue given that there are already penalties to breaking the contract sites sign with APPIC and NMS.

The reasons this isnt feasible were already thoroughly covered in this thread when you brought it up while posing as an applicant some pages ago.

Phase II is infinitely better than clearinghouse was (applicants notified on Friday they didn't match, sites notified the following Monday and then everyone scrambling to apply, interview, and offer by end of day Monday all with paper applications and fax machines).

There's still room for improvement, but changes have been made to make it easier on applicants so that they can take the time needed to choose where to apply and, if needed, fix their applications.

I'm all ears for hearing how to destigmatize phase II

animated.gif

In the spirit of keeping this a supportive space, I hope everyone has time and space for rest and reflection before we all head into/continue the interview phase. I've certainly found this experience to be very stressful and difficult, and I am SO grateful I found this forum and connected with all of you. Thank you for the laughs and mutual support, #forumfam! I hope to get to meet some of you in person during interviews (what's our code word/nametag symbol??) and am wishing all of you the very best during the holiday season. Merry Peetzit and Happy Christmas Prince-ing!

I echo this! I am sincerely rooting for everyone in the #forumfam and am hoping this next week is full of rest, family, food, and joy! In the spirit of joy, I wanted to share this photo of a guy in my city who decorates his yard with an obscene number of holiday inflatables. He starts setting up in October and then, when it’s all finished, sits in his driveway dressed as Santa and hands out candy canes to kiddos as people walk through the inflatables. It is admittedly tacky, AND it brings so much excitement and joy to everyone who goes and sees it. So, all that said, I wish y’all all a yard-filled-with-an-unreal-amount-of-holiday-inflatables level of joy and happiness this next week!! :biglove::biglove::biglove:
BCDFE98A-B4B7-4B14-AEAB-FFBF0DEE35B5.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I am relatively new to the thread other than occasionally checking in on the site interview statuses (and more recently being #blessed enough to read through some of the drama that is peace and love hahaha). Overall, I have REALLY appreciated all of the support, guidance, and advice given. Seriously so helpful! On that note, I have a question and I am not sure if it has already been asked so I apologize if that's the case....

Almost all of my interviews are UCC and do phone/skype/zoom (some have more than 1 which I find to be a bit annoying but that's another topic), but there are many that also have site visits or "informal" open houses. With that said, what is the importance placed on these visits? Extra interviewing and travel sounds like a real pain so I'm trying to weigh the odds for deciding to attend. Side note: The travel/added interviews sounds so stressful on top of what feels like a million interviews (14 total) and needing to propose my dissertation (running late AF).

To make matters worse, some of the open houses are on the same day so I would have to choose between them (if I decide to attend at all). I know some specifically mention that it is not at all required (emphasis on being for applicants), but some sites "strongly recommend" site visits, specifically CU Boulder. How are you guys handling this?!

For CU Boulder, check Frontier airlines. If you can wear your suit jacket on the plane and pack the rest of your stuff in a backpack, you can usually get a cheap ticket (if they fly to your city).

Can’t decide which is my favorite part of finally receiving the Northwestern rejection I’ve seen coming for weeks, the fact that they were 11 days past the notification date (that they set!!!), or the fact that it came on my birthday :lol:

Regardless, I’m now officially done hearing back from sites! Hope everyone had a great holiday yesterday and that those still waiting to be released from waiting purgatory get to move on soon! Even when you know it’s coming, it feels good to be DONE done with this part. And most of all, I hope everyone is enjoying their well-deserved break! :) :biglove:

Reactions: 7 users
Can’t decide which is my favorite part of finally receiving the Northwestern rejection I’ve seen coming for weeks, the fact that they were 11 days past the notification date (that they set!!!), or the fact that it came on my birthday :lol:

Regardless, I’m now officially done hearing back from sites! Hope everyone had a great holiday yesterday and that those still waiting to be released from waiting purgatory get to move on soon! Even when you know it’s coming, it feels good to be DONE done with this part. And most of all, I hope everyone is enjoying their well-deserved break! :) :biglove:
YAY for being DDDDOOOONNNNEEEE!!!!

and HBD! :hardy:

Somebody bring me some MFing churros. Kthxbai.

Anyone interviewing at the Atlanta VA on the 9th want to rent this treehouse with me? Half joking. Half not.

Atlanta Alpaca Treehouse in the Bamboo Forest - Treehouses for Rent in Atlanta, Georgia, United States
What if we're not interviewing in that area on that date? Offer still apply? What if we bring churros? Half joking. Half not. :p

Edit: Seriously, though. There are alpacas? I might have to look into this as vacation for my family. We could tell my toddler the alpacas are llamas and she'd go ape. (big Llama Llama book fan :p )

What if we're not interviewing in that area on that date? Offer still apply? What if we bring churros? Half joking. Half not. :p

Edit: Seriously, though. There are alpacas? I might have to look into this as vacation for my family. We could tell my toddler the alpacas are llamas and she'd go ape. (big Llama Llama book fan :p )

I have held off booking my lodging for Atlanta yet because I'm still so fixated on this amazing treehouse.

I have held off booking my lodging for Atlanta yet because I'm still so fixated on this amazing treehouse.
DOOOOOO IIITTTTT!!!! I mean, how much are you spending on this process? Seems like this would be but a drop in the stomach churning bucket.

12/26/17
Phone Call
Interview Invite to Manhattan Psychiatric Center

Time to book some more flights!

When I went through this process in late '14/early '15, this forum was super helpful. Now I am a licensed psychologist at Napa State Hospital. Just want everyone who was anxiously waiting for notifications to know, NSH is an excellent place to work and Napa is an awesome place to live. Whatever anxiety your later-than-expected notification caused, this is a great training site and it will all be worth it if you match here. That all being said, it can be a very expensive area to get a hotel at the last minute, especially on a grad-student budget. Feel free to PM if you would like some suggestions. I may be able to host depending on your interview date too.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
When I went through this process in late '14/early '15, this forum was super helpful. Now I am a licensed psychologist at Napa State Hospital. Just want everyone who was anxiously waiting for notifications to know, NSH is an excellent place to work and Napa is an awesome place to live. Whatever anxiety your later-than-expected notification caused, this is a great training site and it will all be worth it if you match here. That all being said, it can be a very expensive area to get a hotel at the last minute, especially on a grad-student budget. Feel free to PM if you would like some suggestions. I may be able to host depending on your interview date too.
Dang, what an incredible offer. Wish I had applied there!

YAY for being DDDDOOOONNNNEEEE!!!!

and HBD! :hardy:
Thanks friend!!! :)
Somebody bring me some MFing churros. Kthxbai.
I don’t have any churros, but I’d be happy to share some of my Mindy-inspired birthday cake.
9B63BCC2-3559-476F-9058-BF1FD87137A9.jpeg

edit: Was this an excuse to show off my birthday cake to people who might get the reference (unlike my family)? Yes, yes it was.

Reactions: 14 users

I don’t have any churros, but I’d be happy to share some of my Mindy-inspired birthday cake.
View attachment 227122

edit: Was this an excuse to show off my birthday cake to people who might get the reference (unlike my family)? Yes, yes it was.
Is it cool if I eat it while hating you for being at the the same point in your career yet....a number of years younger than me? :p

Is it cool if I eat it while hating you for being at the the same point in your career yet....a number of years younger than me? :p
Yeah, that's cool, I'll still share :p

View attachment 227122

Yassssssss!!! You actually did it!!!! Happy birthday! Lol. Next year, I also vote you get a photo of Mindy on the cake too!

Ha! I know right? I saw that big 27 and thought wow...I'm....older. Twenty-something year olds, enjoy your beautiful elastic wrinkle free skin while you can. I just started using eye cream two weeks ago...years late I'm sure.

I'm sad that nobody wants to rent the treehouse with me!
Not getting to stay in this bomb-ass treehouse might be the most disappointing thing about applying to/interviewing at sites mainly in the Northeast and Midwest. That and how bone-chillingly cold it's going to be. But missing out on the treehouse is also up there.

Hope everyone is enjoying the calm before another flurry of interviews (do people have interviews this week??). I just received notice that my flight schedule in January completely changed (thanks, cheap airlines!) and am unable to make it in person on 1/8 to VCU counseling center. Does anyone who is interviewing another date (1/12 is my preferred) have any flexibility and want to switch dates? I would greatly appreciate it!!