Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by ForTheLoveOfPsych, Nov 1, 2017.

1. ChildPsych157

Psychology Student
    Anyone who has an interview at Morrison Child and Family Services: Do you know if their interview really ends at 2 pm or was that a typo in the email? I ask because flights in the evening are WAY longer and more expensive than flights even two hours earlier.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hawkeye11

Best airport to fly into to get to Martinsburg, West Virginia?

4. Hawkeye11

@ICantStopHittingRefresh ,
    Given your screenname, I am loving that you are the only other person who appears to be online, at the moment. :p

5. slaney

Psychology Student
    This has nothing to do with anything, but I've had this nagging and irrational fear that I'll get asked on interviews about the last book I read, in which case I'd answer (honestly) "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince." Given that I grew up with Harry Potter - and was THAT kid who went to the midnight book releases (in costume, naturally) and then stayed up literally all night reading the books IN MY CLOSET (in solidarity with Harry's early treatment by the Dursleys, of course) - and that kids even today, years later, love Harry Potter, I could totally make that answer sound thoughtful and insightful instead of the actual rationale which is when I get stressed, I like to reread these fantasy books that were significant in my childhood/adolescence.

Anyway, all that to say, I just finished "Little Fires Everywhere" by Celeste Ng and highly recommend it! It tugged on my heartstrings and none of the characters are ALL good or bad, which really meshes nicely with my love for dialectics. I also feel like all the Momma's would really enjoy this one, on perhaps a level I can't seeing as how I don't have kids. Anyway, if anyone needs a really well-written and beautiful story for their upcoming travels, I highly recommend this one! Hope everyone is doing wellllllllllll :):biglove:

edit: Also, I'm about to start "Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine" by Gail Honeyman and will let y'all know how it is :)

6. Hawkeye11

Forum Fam,
    Who all is interviewing at UT Northeast, aka, UT Tyler?

thisisaname likes this.
  7. Hawkeye11

Thank you for posting this. I would probably be so caught off guard by that question that I wouldn't be able to come up with anything on the spot, even though I'm constantly reading. Now, I've thought about it and would be able to answer. :)

edit: I don't think you and I have any overlap, so my reply is no indication of you having given the competition a leg up. :p

slaney and Psychchick09 like this.
  8. ICantStopHittingRefresh

Psychology Student
    I don't know that I was intentionally online but I have the SDN app on my phone and I think it keeps me active. It beeped at me, so I wandered in here and actually saw messages! I tend to leave all manner of tabs and apps open on my laptop/phone all the time...

It didn't look like a typo to me. I suspect some of us may have our individual interviews scheduled earlier (so we might be done sooner) but I took it to mean that, at the latest, we would be done by 2pm. That's probably not much help to you but I think you could reach out to the TD to get clarification.

ellabelle46, ToneTone and Hawkeye11 like this.
  9. thisisaname

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Oh by the way, I forgot to post that I finally got a response re: waitlist at Citrus Health

Citrus Health Network Inc.
    Rejection!
    12/28
    Mass Email

And that's a wrap, folks.

10. slaney

Psychology Student
    Sure thing! Glad my neuroticism can benefit others.:p

Also, for what it's worth, I don't really think of any of y'all as being "the competition." That's true when there's a lot of overlap in sites and none at all. I'm still holding to the belief that we're all going to end up exactly where we're supposed to, at our #wandsite. :)

11. ToneTone

5+ Year Member

LoL that's a great question. I could answer honestly and say either a book to refresh my memory to prep for interviews or...Star Wars The Force Awakens :happy: lollllll. Great. So now I have to keep in mind a clever, likable, animal I could be, and book that's not nerd-core in case I get asked more questions. What else is next, if I could be any super hero!?

Also, did you get the Harry Potter 12 Days of Socks from Target!?

slaney, OpalinePhoenix and Hawkeye11 like this.
  12. OpalinePhoenix

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I'm holding out hope that I end up at a site WITH folks from here, more than anything!

AllTheFeels, slaney, ToneTone and 2 others like this.
  13. Burning_magnesium

Psychology Student
    My experience has been that these are usually times where small groups based on interests break out. You can generally go between them, though I generally choose one and stay there. Its generally designed as a Q&A session to ask questions to the faculty and students from a specific track or rotation, research interest, etc. Good opportunities to brand yourself and begin building relationships.

14. Burning_magnesium

Psychology Student
    Very familiar with Kaiser system. If anyone wants, PM for details.

ellabelle46 likes this.
  15. Psychchick09

Psychology Student
    IMG_9338.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. slaney

Psychology Student
    Tell me more about these Harry Potter socks!!:heckyeah::wideyed: I haven't seen those, but I did brave some cold AF temps today to trek to Target and get a heated blanket under which I will stay until Wednesday when I fly to my first interview of 2018.

Speaking of, Happy New Year, #forumfam!!! Hope 2018 brings ALL kinds of awesome things for everyone!!:biglove::banana::clap:

17. Hawkeye11

#forumfam has been far too quiet lately. :poke:

Are y'all trying to give me abandonment issues? :shrug:

Do you love your other families more? :bullcrap::p

18. AllTheFeels

Psychology Student

Oh! I just ordered Eleanor Oliphant along with three others! The highlight of applications being over and interviews winding down is reading for fun!

ellabelle46 and slaney like this.
  19. slaney

Psychology Student
    :rofl:
    But on that note, how is everyone doing?!? I imagine several of us will be headed off to interviews soon! Howwwwww arrrrrrreeeeee y'aaaaallllllllll?!?!

I ordered samples of several books and am so excited to read for fun again!! Has anyone read Beartown? That one is on my list but from the reviews it seems like it might be kinda dysregulating, so I was thinking I should maybe save that one for the end of the month when interviews are over.

20. Psychchick09

Psychology Student
    I have an interview on Friday! Can’t believe it’s here so soon

21. LM02

LM02 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

This is really random, but I used to spend my summers in the mountains near Martinsburg when I was a child/teen. Pretty sure Dulles will be your best bet - it’s about an hour away, so you’ll likely need to rent a car (unless the VA has some kind of shuttle service - and presuming you’re headed to the VA).

ellabelle46 likes this.
  22. MissLyss

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I am next wed

23. slaney

Psychology Student
    Getting ready to travel to some truly frigid places for interviews which inspired my first Google search of 2018: "do hairy legs keep you warm" #thestruggle

24. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist
    Psychologist 7+ Year Member

Psychologist
    As someone who lives in a sub-Arctic locale and has hairy legs, the answer is no.

25. slaney

Psychology Student
    [​IMG]

26. Internship_Journey

Everyone who has had interviews - how have they gone so far? How do you tell if it went well or not? Especially if it was online? Feeling kind of "meh"...

MyLifeinRuins likes this.
  27. 307Psychology

Psychology Student
    I second this.

MyLifeinRuins likes this.
  28. 307Psychology

Psychology Student
    Good luck to anyone interviewing in the Northwest this week. It was so nice of them to coordinate "open house" dates! I'll be at the Tacoma VA tomorrow, Seattle VA Thursday, and University of Washington Medical on Friday. Lovin' Seattle so far!

29. justpeachy_2019

Psychology Student
    I'm leaving for Seattle on Thursday morning for UW Medical (General Child Track) on Friday!! Any suggestions for spots I should check out while playing tourist on Thursday? This will be my first time in the PNW and Seattle.

Good luck to you (and others) with back-to-back-to-back open houses! That was SUPER thoughtful of them to coordinate and minimize travel :)

307Psychology likes this.
  30. ICantStopHittingRefresh

Psychology Student
    :lol::hello:
    My first is on Friday. #definitelynotready

ToneTone likes this.
  31. 307Psychology

Psychology Student
    I've been meaning to ask someone, but did you interpret UW's "business professional" attire specification as standard interview wear (i.e., formal suit) or more casual?

In terms of playing tourist, definitely check out Pike's Place Market, it's a MUST if you're in Seattle. The original Starbucks is down there and a homemade cheese place that is quite popular. It's also right at the waterfront so you get a view of both the mountains and the city center. The whole downtown area is wonderful - lots of shops, great coffee, and craft beers. You could spend hours down there (Pikes Place is downtown, btw.). The Space Needle is relatively close, but I personally think it's a bit overrated. That might be because I've gone twice, so the first time was likely a much more enjoyable experience! If you're just here for a day, exploring downtown is likely your best bet.

I'm not actually from the area, but fell in love with Seattle during my first visit at a young age and have been back a number of times. I also have family out here. I'm staying downtown so feel free to private message me for more info and I hope to run into you during interviews (I'm adult track!)

justpeachy_2019 likes this.
  32. OpalinePhoenix

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I'll also be at UW on Friday (Child Track)! Regarding the attire, in the email they sent me, it said, "Dress is business casual. Seattle is a rather relaxed city and we know you are traveling. It will be a long day so wear things that are comfortable. If it should happen that your luggage goes one way and you go another, please do not stress about it. Come as you are and just explain the situation." I interpret that as meaning, "Do not wear a suit, wear something like slacks and a sweater/button-down." I also DEEPLY appreciate their consideration in that regard! As a result, I do not plan to wear a suit for that interview.

justpeachy_2019 likes this.
  33. ToneTone

5+ Year Member

For me, I can't really tell when interviews truly went well in the sites' eyes. There was one interview where I felt good about my responses and also, if the site gives me some sort of feedback then I have a better idea of how I'm doing. I've had a few online/phone so far, and the interviewers seemed to vary in the way they responded. Some would nod and smile warmly, some very stiff. The only time I assumed I did well enough was when a site actually said "good" and gave me feedback on things I did well after I responded to a vignette/role play lol. I'm not sure if it's the norm though...I would think not? Actually I kind of hope not because then it might mean I didn't do so hot in the other interviews.

OpalinePhoenix likes this.
  34. ToneTone

5+ Year Member

I feel securely attached to you guys that I don't need to check in constantly anymore to feel your love, jk ;)

It is quiet though. I liked the speed before haha!

35. MyLifeinRuins

Psychology Student
    So far I am really not a fan of the stupid vignettes I've been given on interviews. Like uhhh IDK, I need to meet the actual client and have some time to get to know them and assess but that's probably not the most acceptable of answers. Anyways... more than basic impressions or questions about culture, psychopathology/diagnostic criteria, and whatever other info that stands out I'm feeling a bit unsure how to proceed or what they are looking for. Any advice or suggestions on how to respond to vignettes? I've got a couple of interviews tomorrow so any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

AllTheFeels and OpalinePhoenix like this.
  36. affectiveH3art

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I’ll be at UW on Friday as well!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

37. ToneTone

5+ Year Member

I’d like to hear thoughts as well on how to improve. Off the top of my head- I’ve been emphasizing all the multicultural/gender/religion etc , any trauma, risk assessment and a general acceptable treatment direction appropriate to the site. my point person advised being clear on case formulation especially since I’m integrative so sometimes I get muddy and unclear when I try to speak to case conceptualization.

MyLifeinRuins and thisisaname like this.
  38. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist
    Psychologist 7+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Vignettes are becoming more common. In short, you want to be able to clearly, and concisely express your assessment of the information given, possible information that you may need, and offer a tentative treatment direction/plan. Try to have a clear flow in your answer rather than a "throwing spaghetti at a wall and see what sticks" approach. When people ramble on about a bunch of tangential things it makes them look like they really have no idea and are just spit-balling.

Also, read the room. Biggest problem most people at the trainee level have. Who's your audience? I am at a site that is 100% adult. Don't give me almost all stock answers about your experience with children. It won't go over well. Don't rely on canned responses that don't change. Know how to sell yourself based on the nuances of the site.

39. PsychDreams

7+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Ooh Little Fires Everwhere was just amazing. I read that and Everything I Never (ever?) Told You back to back. I just finished reading a ton of books and got Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me as a good interview flights book since I've enjoyed it so much in the past..... and then I read on a flight home from vacation -___-

On a more relevant topic, these match emails are KILLING me each time I see them, but the one sent out this morning had some statistics about this year's match. Some of it was encouraging (at least initially - they had to temper my hope with more facts! :laugh:).

But this really sounds great: "There are currently 239 more available positions than registered applicants (compared to a shortage of 1,148 positions only six years ago). Furthermore, based on previous experience, we know that over 200 students withdrew from the Match each year after registering."

Good luck to all of us as the interview season begins! I will be out in the snowy midwest tomorrow and am NOT looking forward to it!

OpalinePhoenix and slaney like this.
  40. 307Psychology

Psychology Student
    That's right - I must be mixing it up with a different one! That e-mail was so pleasant. I'll be wearing a sweater and slacks. See you there and good luck!

OpalinePhoenix likes this.
  41. JustForAPPIC

Soo snowstorm tomorrow in the north east. Just an FYI for anyone coming up here for interviews!

42. syzergy

7+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Just a FYI about the UW Open House - plenty of people wore suits last year (I did).

43. Psychchick09

Psychology Student
    Anyone interviewing at the Saint Louis VA on Friday?

44. slaney

Psychology Student
    Wasn’t it great? Did you like Everything I Never Told You, too? I LOVE both of Mindy’s books! Big surprise, I’m sure haha. Why Not Me is also really good, if you haven’t read that one! I’m reading Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie right now, and I’m just in love with the prose.

As for Greg’s emails, more than anything I question the ungodly hour the emails are sent. Does Greg sleep? I’m worried about him.

Good luck tomorrow! Hoping everyone has smooth(ish - I feel like there’s no such thing as “smooth” travel anymore) travel and everyone manages to stay warm and dryish in the midst of this arctic hellscape.

Edit: also, hoping everyone stays HEALTHY over the next several weeks! Sanitize those tray tables and wash those hands, y’all, ain’t nobody got time for the flu!

45. thisgirl

Psychology Student
    Anybody else still waiting to hear a schedule from Tulane for this Monday?

Edit: received

#6394 thisgirl, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  46. HappyPhDHopeful

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    As someone who checked the previous year's threads, I think it would be nice if the front page was updated beyond Dec 6th. Thoughts on how we can make this happen?

coreconditions likes this.
  47. CatsFan

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Good luck to everyone traveling for interviews over the next few days! Check the weather and bundle up!!!

48. ay1314

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Ok confession time. I'm finding the whole interviewing process incredibly depressing even though I have an interview invite/rejection ratio that I'm totally grateful to have. For me, the sadness has to do with change/moving on and nothing to do with where I'm interviewing/who rejected me. I'm actually sitting in bed right now trying not to sob and putting off getting my act together to go to the airport this afternoon for the next round. And as a psychology student I wish I had a better handle on what the eff is going on for me.

49. ToneTone

5+ Year Member

:( Sorry . Feel free to pm if you’d like to chat, I’m available later in the evening PST

ay1314 likes this.
  50. HappyPhDHopeful

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Thank you for sharing your experience. For me, I would let myself sob. Acknowledge all of the feelings of sadness and stress, of loss and fear and so forth. Tears are not a sign of weakness. Lots of self compassion! And of course PM me if you need to talk.

51. CatsFan

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I get it; this is an extremely stressful and emotional time! I think most of us have probably experienced the full range of emotions over the past few months and they definitely don't always make sense!

ay1314 likes this.