2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We can create a private facebook page or something so we don't have to be all sercretive about our identities.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
I know...I'm not looking forward to that email (even though I want match day to come tomorrow...weird).

I'm hoping that if I get the "congratulations" email, the word 'congratulations' is visible in the email preview that you see before you click the email open. I would LOVE that because then I could take a breath, relax, and enjoy the moment knowing that I matched somewhere before finding out where I matched. (As opposed to processing matching and the specific site all at once.)
Me af.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was just about to reply that I love your Siamese picture! It's too funny!! My avatar is of my cat, Neal Catfrey (any White Collar fans around here?). ...He still hasn't forgiven me for his Shark Week costume...
Btw- I had NO idea that you could adjust how much of the email is visible! :boom:I am definitely going to look into this on gmail!

OMG the fact that it's your actual cat (and not a meme cat from the interwebz, like mine) makes it so much better :D

Hmm I can't remember on Gmail, but on my phone's (Android) Mail app you can!

Reactions: 1 users
I logged on again after a long break and I can't believe how much I laughed when I read the last 2 hours of messages. THANK YOU!! I felt insane at 11:59pm!

Sooo Greg’s email-
What are these “complex requirements” some sites have? Legitimately curious

Like contingencies in their list? Or something else-

Also, im curious how many people they actually contact each year

I'm starting to binge on chocolate and beef jerky (not together) over here after looking at my site list to make sure you know, it didn't like delete itself or something.

But btw, did ya'll know that some of the Fifty Shades books have been re-written from Christian's perspective? I know what I'm going to do to take my mind offline...I skip over all the dirty parts FYI in case anyone was feeling extra (rightfully) judgmental.

I loved the fifty series not for the writing ( that was bad) but for the story line ( mostly surviving intense trauma and in a way recreating it in adult life, I.e. Christian), and she is not a good enough writer to make Christian’s POV much more interesting. It kinda drags but if you are really into the psychology behind Christian is is somewhat insightful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
I would just like to thank you all and those frogs for getting me through the last few minutes. Couldn't have done it without y'all!!!

Also, can we all please agree that we keep this thread alive for the next 16 days?!?!

Yes, please!

I think Greg is definitely reading this thread given this morning’s email about why the match takes 2.5 weeks

Reactions: 12 users
I would just like to thank you all and those frogs for getting me through the last few minutes. Couldn't have done it without y'all!!!

Also, can we all please agree that we keep this thread alive for the next 16 days?!?!

This is cracking me up. Me af. I have officially already looked at apartments and things to do in my #wandsite city (among other preparations because I just like to get super ahead of myself)

I agree with keeping this thread alive but moving it to the real world/FB!! @HappyPhDHopeful

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To clarify, where I attended internship has come up in conversation, but where on my list I ranked the site never has. As with grad school, the "name brand" of an internship site can matter to an extent, but not always as significantly as people might think.

Just curious, what are a few of the "name brand" internships for neuropsychology that come to mind? I've been sort of trying to figure that out throughout this whole process, but ultimately decided I don't care about name brand as much as how much I like the people there and the actual quality of the training that I think I would get. I'm still curious though, haha. I also find this interesting because it seems like there is a decent amount of turnover at some sites, which seems like it could lead to the status of sites changing relatively quickly.

Sorry to go back a bit in the conversation, but I'm just getting caught up on the thread! I haven't posted a ton throughout this process but I have been reading and appreciating all the support. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I also want to thank the #forumfam! It’s been amazing sharing all the highs and lows of the process with you guys.

I especially appreciated the forumfam this morning. Woke up in a panic last night because the rankings were officially in, and reading then forum this morning really helped me feel more settled. I’m all for moving this to a Facebook group, particularly because I hope we end up in internship together!

Also, can we have a thread during internship year, for support :) <3

I agree with keeping this thread alive but moving it to the real world/FB!! @HappyPhDHopeful

Yes yes yes yes! I want to know you alllll. I'm aware that makes me sound super creepy, but rankings are in and I'm a little giddy, but also deflated, so that's alright. It would be AWESOME to know who y'all are for like...conferences and consults and future jobs and stuff!

Reactions: 8 users
Side note: it's apparently the 20 year anniversary of the computerized Match! Greg has a paper about the transition.

Reactions: 7 users
I’m glad I’m virtually here with you all.
I missed it. I was all, "I'm definitely going to double check that everything is in order and ready to go at 11:30." I tried to sign in on my phone and it wasn't working, and got up to go to my computer, and was actually able to sign in there, but finally realized it was actually already 12:30 Eastern time by then. Oops, lol. Order was as I wished it already anyway, though. :)

I missed it. I was all, "I'm definitely going to double check that everything is in order and ready to go at 11:30." I tried to sign in on my phone and it wasn't working, and got up to go to my computer, and was actually able to sign in there, but finally realized it was actually already 12:30 Eastern time by then. Oops, lol. Order was as I wished it already anyway, though. :)

I did the same thing!! I was planning on logging in and double checking things one more time, but I fell asleep around 10:00. It's probably for the best; at least it prevented me from freaking out at the last minute and making changes that I shouldn't!!

Reactions: 4 users
Yes yes yes yes! I want to know you alllll. I'm aware that makes me sound super creepy, but rankings are in and I'm a little giddy, but also deflated, so that's alright. It would be AWESOME to know who y'all are for like...conferences and consults and future jobs and stuff!

I am also definitely in for moving this party to a Facebook group :) I would love to know you all!!

We can create a private facebook page or something so we don't have to be all sercretive about our identities.
Just created a facebook group called "SDN APPIC applicants 2018-2019." Will leave as a "closed" group for a bit so everyone can find it and request an add, but we can make it a secret group later depending upon everyone's wishes.

I was legit relieved to hear from Greg this morning. The anxiety is palpable.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Also I just checked the NMS APPIC Match page because I was so curious to see what the change was like. It is so official now! **** is getting real!

@LizLemonIsMySpiritAnimal I have also been looking at housing and things to do in the cities where my #wandishsites are! Researching helps me feel more regulated.

Love the Facebook idea! Yes I hope to meet many of you in the years to come.

Also I just checked the NMS APPIC Match page because I was so curious to see what the change was like. It is so official now! **** is getting real!

@LizLemonIsMySpiritAnimal I have also been looking at housing and things to do in the cities where my #wandishsites are! Researching helps me feel more regulated.
Same! I’ve already spoke to potential
Housing that will allow my 3 fur kids. I’ve looked at cool stuff to do, imagined warmer weather and being active outside, having a nice tan... the whole shebang.

Ummm can I join the FB group as a crusty ol’ 2017-2018 intern??? Because I’m in desperate need of forumfam!

Dear Greg,
Thank you for all of your information and support through this process. It is very much appreciated. If you are out there somewhere listening, I just would like to take this opportunity to mention that we REALLY like stats. So, if at any time you feel inspired to tell us things like how many applicants ended up submitting ranks in the end vs. how many withdrew from the match, please do. That being said, we know you are quite busy. Just if you get bored, inspired, antsy, etc..
Hugs and kisses,
Hawkeye

Reactions: 8 users
Dear Greg,
Thank you for all of your information and support through this process. It is very much appreciated. If you are out there somewhere listening, I just would like to take this opportunity to mention that we REALLY like stats. So, if at any time you feel inspired to tell us things like how many applicants ended up submitting ranks in the end vs. how many withdrew from the match, please do. That being said, we know you are quite busy. Just if you get bored, inspired, antsy, etc..
Hugs and kisses,
Hawkeye

Long-time lurker here and big fan of the #forumfam! Please tell me I'm not the only one who imagines Greg as this creepy/endearing swamp creature...

scl0gx.jpg

Long-time lurker here and big fan of the #forumfam! Please tell me I'm not the only one who imagines Greg as this creepy/endearing swamp creature...

scl0gx.jpg
LMAO, what on earth is that from? And yeah, I can't help you on that one....I think I imagine Greg's face as it is because Slaney's post about Mr. Feeney inspired me to do a google image search. :p

scl0gx.jpg
No!!! Greg is Mr. Feeny!!
giphy.gif

Side note: it's apparently the 20 year anniversary of the computerized Match! Greg has a paper about the transition.

I saw that too, and immediately thought, “we’re the 20th cohort to go through this process.” I held a moment of silence for the people in the other 19 years.

On a side note, I don’t see anyone posting that they impulsively changed a ranking minutes before the deadline... just me?

scl0gx.jpg

Now I'm seeing him sitting in front of a computer painting and drinking Bailey's from a shoe. >.<

I saw that too, and immediately thought, “we’re the 20th cohort to go through this process.” I held a moment of silence for the people in the other 19 years.

On a side note, I don’t see anyone posting that they impulsively changed a ranking minutes before the deadline... just me?
I didn't, but can't say what I might have done if I remembered my time zone and eastern time are 2 different things *before* the deadline. :p

“Well, now, you have passion. You have drive. You certainly have guts. I frankly can’t wait to see what happens to you.” - Mr. Feeney

I hope some of our amazing TDs join the group...I love it when they add to our discussion! They've been so amazing and encouraging throughout this process.

I know...I'm not looking forward to that email (even though I want match day to come tomorrow...weird).

I'm hoping that if I get the "congratulations" email, the word 'congratulations' is visible in the email preview that you see before you click the email open. I would LOVE that because then I could take a breath, relax, and enjoy the moment knowing that I matched somewhere before finding out where I matched. (As opposed to processing matching and the specific site all at once.)

Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the word congratulations in my preview - I hoped the same thing. :(
However, when I did open it, I looked for that word first (it's in bold blue font) and took a huge sigh of relief before I went on to read where I actually matched. My husband was like, "Congratulations what??? Where is it???"

For those anxious and/or curious (that's all of you, let's be honest), here's what it looked like:

Subject: APPIC Match Result (Applicant 29876)

Inside:

APPIC Internship Matching Program

Your APPIC Match Result

To: McCartney - Applicant Code 29876

This message provides you with your Match result for the APPIC Internship Matching Program for internship positions beginning in 2017.

Congratulations! You have been matched to:

Training Site: University of Your Top Choice!

Program: Neuropsychology

Program Code: XXX

Please do not respond to this e-mail.

If you receive this message prior to checking for your Match result online, there is no need for you to also check your Match result online, as the information provided online is the same as in this message.

Reactions: 13 users
Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the word congratulations in my preview - I hoped the same thing. :(
However, when I did open it, I looked for that word first (it's in bold blue font) and took a huge sigh of relief before I went on to read where I actually matched. My husband was like, "Congratulations what??? Where is it???"

For those anxious and/or curious (that's all of you, let's be honest), here's what it looked like:

Inside:

Your APPIC Match Result

This message provides you with your Match result for the APPIC Internship Matching Program for internship positions beginning in 2017.

If you receive this message prior to checking for your Match result online, there is no need for you to also check your Match result online, as the information provided online is the same as in this message.
Thank you for this! :)

Inside:

Your APPIC Match Result

Yes, thank you!!

Inside:

Your APPIC Match Result

giphy.gif

I just burned sage incense to get rid of the ex-fiancés energy in here. I feel so relaxed! I forgot how awesome this stuff can be.

I just burned sage incense to get rid of the ex-fiancés energy in here. I feel so relaxed! I forgot how awesome this stuff can be.

Love it! That’s my favorite way to get rid of negative energy! I used it when We moved into a new house

LMAO, what on earth is that from? And yeah, I can't help you on that one....I think I imagine Greg's face as it is because Slaney's post about Mr. Feeney inspired me to do a google image search. :p
oh my god. this is the mighty boosh.
giphy.gif

I did change one rank right before the deadline! It was a rank on the bottom half of my list that I moved from being last to third from last.