2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It makes me want you all to just stare at them and be like, "Norway. I'm from Norway."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
My gosh. Not only is it insensitive and microaggressive, but sounds oddly like a therapy session...what is wrong with these people?

I think people forget how to be normal
Humans during interviews on both sides but some people are extra.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it just me or has time stopped moving

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just me or has time stopped moving
I know!!! I loathe getting out of bed and want to sleep all day... And to think, I have such a nice schedule for the first time in 5 years (9-3pm w/ lunch) and it is sooooo painful. Like HURRY UP! It doesn't help I am "supposed" to be working on dissertation, which is pretty laughable.

any-minute-now.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone have any coping strategies that they can lend me? Thanks in advance... :meh:

Reactions: 1 user
@Sherlocked221 Yesss very real! I was delirious-sick last night, and had a nightmare that I was part of something that was half-interview, half-informational panel. It was related to internship and in present day (aka post-ranking). A few of my faculty were there, as well as staff psychologists from a site at which I'd had a really bizarre, intense interview experience. They asked us all why we wanted to be at that site. In my head, I was like "well, I don't!" but then the other students answered and said some positives about the site, and also that their stipend is more than any other site they applied to :laugh: (which can be a valid reason, but I was shocked they'd say that to the TD's face haha). Then in my dream I was thinking "ahh dammit, did I misinterpret things, should I have ranked this site higher, maybe what these other students are saying makes sense..." :eek:

*sigh* even when I'm not stressing consciously (or am distracted by other things), apparently my unconscious is still very anxious :wideyed: 8 more sleeps until we know!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Sherlocked221 Yesss very real! I was delirious-sick last night, and had a nightmare that I was part of something that was half-interview, half-informational panel. It was related to internship and in present day (aka post-ranking). A few of my faculty were there, as well as staff psychologists from a site at which I'd had a really bizarre, intense interview experience. They asked us all why we wanted to be at that site. In my head, I was like "well, I don't!" but then the other students answered and said some positives about the site, and also that their stipend is more than any other site they applied to :laugh: (which can be a valid reason, but I was shocked they'd say that to the TD's face haha). Then in my dream I was thinking "ahh dammit, did I misinterpret things, should I have ranked this site higher, maybe what these other students are saying makes sense..." :eek:

*sigh* even when I'm not stressing consciously (or am distracted by other things), apparently my unconscious is still very anxious :wideyed: 8 more sleeps until we know!!!

Omg! that's so crazy. I had a dream that I was matched to a site that is like third to last on my list which is actually a really great site but the location was unfortunate. Apparently in my dream I had a stepmother who worked in the same site as a nurse and we were carpooling to work together. Mind you, my parents aren't divorced nor do I have a stepmother and my mother isn't a nurse nor does she work in anything hospital related. So I woke up soooo confused.

Reactions: 2 users
Starting to plan the things I’m going to do all night on Feb 22 when I CAN’T sleep. Taking suggestions! Oh, and I’m asking for a friend!

So, it was getting late, I didn't want to go to sleep just yet, and for some reason the following thought popped into my head: "I haven't checked out Student Doctor in many months. I wonder what people are thinking and saying right about now?"

OMG.

Given the myriad of questions, comments, projections, pleas, complaints, and prayers that seem to have been associated with my name, it seemed like a few responses were necessary:

1. Your Match results e-mail will not actually end with the words, "Love, Greg", but you can certainly know that such heartfelt sentiments will be written "between the lines."

2. Yes, I know you hate the fact that it takes 2 1/2 weeks to get your Match results, and I further know that you will continue to hate it regardless of any explanations I provide. However, I also know that you will all completely forget about that wait about 30 minutes after arriving at your celebratory Happy Hours next Friday evening, at which point I can stop wearing a disguise in public.

3. I have been rendered touched, honored, horrified, and/or speechless by all of the following:
  • "Mr. Feeny from Boy Meets World"
  • #gregstrikesagain
  • #GregIsTheMan
  • "Please tell me I'm not the only one who imagines Greg as this creepy/endearing swamp creature"
4. To whomever suggested that I sit in front of my computer drinking Bailey's from a shoe: Not currently true, but it's a great idea and, after reading this thread, I'm adopting that behavior beginning in about 10 minutes.

5. I apologize for those of you who felt abandoned or ghosted by me during lags in my MATCH-NEWS e-mails. Please rest assured that I would never do that to any of you, and that the only place where I actually ghost anyone is on Bumble and Tinder.

Greg

Omgggg, you’ve made my night!

We have so many questions for you.

So, it was getting late, I didn't want to go to sleep just yet, and for some reason the following thought popped into my head: "I haven't checked out Student Doctor in many months. I wonder what people are thinking and saying right about now?"

OMG.

Given the myriad of questions, comments, projections, pleas, complaints, and prayers that seem to have been associated with my name, it seemed like a few responses were necessary:

1. Your Match results e-mail will not actually end with the words, "Love, Greg", but you can certainly know that such heartfelt sentiments will be written "between the lines."

2. Yes, I know you hate the fact that it takes 2 1/2 weeks to get your Match results, and I further know that you will continue to hate it regardless of any explanations I provide. However, I also know that you will all completely forget about that wait about 30 minutes after arriving at your celebratory Happy Hours next Friday evening, at which point I can stop wearing a disguise in public.

3. I have been rendered touched, honored, horrified, and/or speechless by all of the following:
  • #gregstrikesagain
  • #GregIsTheMan
  • "Please tell me I'm not the only one who imagines Greg as this creepy/endearing swamp creature"
4. To whomever suggested that I sit in front of my computer drinking Bailey's from a shoe: Not currently true, but it's a great idea and, after reading this thread, I'm adopting that behavior beginning in about 10 minutes.

5. I apologize for those of you who felt abandoned or ghosted by me during lags in my MATCH-NEWS e-mails. Please rest assured that I would never do that to any of you, and that the only place where I actually ghost anyone is on Bumble and Tinder.

Greg

OMG it's Greg!!!!! Celeb sighting!!
I have seen Dr. Keilin speak about internship at APA and those talks were super helpful for anyone. If any of the #forumfam has the chance to go to something like that in the future I highly recommend.

Thank you for all of the work you put into making this process so much better for students, Dr. Keilin! (Definitely can't call you Greg to your face).

Also, when I last looked GregK only had three likes received. Man needs some likes.

Reactions: 10 users
#forumfam has made history here, folks. Greg blessed us with his presence. We should feel honored.

Reactions: 9 users
Greg lives! And he’s got jokes!! #longlivegreg

Reactions: 13 users
Cool. #welovegreg

We should plan a fan trip to Austin - we will need Greg Fan Forum tee shirts, novelty sized hats, and those foam fingers. Go - go - go!!!

OMG.

• #gregstrikesagain
  • #GregIsTheMan

Greg

giphy.gif

This was the excitement I needed as I'm internally withering from the '7 days left' notification posted on my fridge by my partner. #TeamGreg #forumfamhistory

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users

OMG.

• #gregstrikesagain
  • #GregIsTheMan

Greg

1. But, but, but....why isn't this signed, "Love, Greg," tho? I would also happily accept, "Hugs and Kisses, Greg," or "Yours truly, Gregikins," with equal or perhaps even greater measures of delight.

2. Is there any way we can get some details on this? I'm very interested in learning about sites that have complicated contingencies related to their rankings. Can you give us examples? Do those sites disclose those contingencies to applicants? Also, give us the real dirt. I know there's tons of work and checking that goes into the entire match process, but....how many minutes does the actual computer algorithm take to run? Is it even a full minute?...

3. #GregSighting!!! :D

4. May I suggest perhaps a Croc? I bet you could throw those puppies straight in the dishwasher. Honestly, I'd be worried for your health and safety if you were to attempt this from an Air Jordan or some Uggs. I feel like they'd turn right into a petri dish, and not all mold is helpful, like penicillin.

5. Ghosting on Bumble and Tinder is just good self-care. I commend you.

Fangirl out,
Hawkeye

Cool. #welovegreg

We should plan a fan trip to Austin - we will need Greg Fan Forum tee shirts, novelty sized hats, and those foam fingers. Go - go - go!!!

I would so buy these T shirts!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
1. But, but, but....why isn't this signed, "Love, Greg," tho? I would also happily accept, "Hugs and Kisses, Greg," or "Yours truly, Gregikins," with equal or perhaps even greater measures of delight.

2. Is there any way we can get some details on this? I'm very interested in learning about sites that have complicated contingencies related to their rankings. Can you give us examples? Do those sites disclose those contingencies to applicants? Also, give us the real dirt. I know there's tons of work and checking that goes into the entire match process, but....how many minutes does the actual computer algorithm take to run? Is it even a full minute?...

3. #GregSighting!!! :D

4. May I suggest perhaps a Croc? I bet you could throw those puppies straight in the dishwasher. Honestly, I'd be worried for your health and safety if you were to attempt this from an Air Jordan or some Uggs. I feel like they'd turn right into a petri dish, and not all mold is helpful, like penicillin.

5. Ghosting on Bumble and Tinder is just good self-care. I commend you.

Fangirl out,
Hawkeye
"Gregikins" "Crocs"
I can't love this enough. :lol:

Reactions: 4 users

OMG.

• #gregstrikesagain
  • #GregIsTheMan

Greg
I like literally can’t even right now. GREG, DO YOU WANNA COME TO BOOZEY BRUNCH WITH US ON FRIDAY?!? WE’RE MAKING MATCH DAY SASHES AND I CAN MAKE ONE FOR YOU AND YOU CAN SHARE OUR “MATCHED, MATCHED BABY CAKE”!!!! #bemyfriend #literallycannoteven

Reactions: 11 users
I like literally can’t even right now. GREG, DO YOU WANNA COME TO BOOZEY BRUNCH WITH US ON FRIDAY?!? WE’RE MAKING MATCH DAY SASHES AND I CAN MAKE ONE FOR YOU AND YOU CAN SHARE OUR “MATCHED, MATCHED BABY CAKE”!!!! #bemyfriend #literallycannoteven
Slaney, I'll admit I've been thinking you were a bit nuts (in a good way) with all of these match day plans and talk about sashes and whatnot until...Right. This. Minute.
#BoozyBrunch FTMFW!!!!
I'm now activating my copycat powers.

Slaney, I'll admit I've been thinking you were a bit nuts (in a good way) with all of these match day plans and talk about sashes and whatnot until...Right. This. Minute.
#BoozyBrunch FTMFW!!!!
I'm now activating my copycat powers.
Agreed! I'm the least self-celebratory person ever, but I'm a little sad I don't have something like this going, to the rest of my brain's great horror and shock.

More like Greg Killin it on the message board!

Reactions: 11 users
Agreed! I'm the least self-celebratory person ever, but I'm a little sad I don't have something like this going, to the rest of my brain's great horror and shock.
Oh, I'll celebrate the hell out of myself. I usually just am not into shoes and sashes, but you add in the absurdity of and possible attention from wearing a sash in a restaurant in the middle of the day, plus the enjoyable nature of day drinking, and I'm ALLLLLLLL in. :rofl:

And don't be silly. You've got nearly seven whole days. Make it happen! :nod:

Reactions: 1 users
Trust me, Greg. I highly doubt you've had a more avid, devoted group of applicants hanging from your every word compared to this year. #forumfam is quite the bunch. In the best way possible.

Greg! I once accidentally emailed Greg and found him to be funny when he replied. This proves that his humor lives on! Thanks for cheering us up Greg :)

Regarding the question about sites that have "complex requirements" for their rankings, you can get a sense of those possibilities at the NMS web site - click on the "Internships > Rankings" pull-down menu, then scroll to the section "Programs with Special Requirements."

There is no obligation for sites to disclose which of these approaches they might be using, just as there is no obligation for students to tell sites about how they approach their ranking decisions or any special procedures that they might use (e.g., the special procedures for couples).

The actual "matching" via the computer takes a few minutes. But it takes a week of 16+ hours/day on the part of multiple people at NMS to prepare for that moment, and another week afterwards to prepare for Match Day. If an organization is diagnosable, NMS has an Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder, which, if you think about it, is the exact disorder you want them to have given the work that they do. Every year, after Match Day, there are a number of students and sites who contact me, saying that the Match results that they received must be wrong. We investigate every one of those by manually reviewing all Rank Order Lists involved. To date, in twenty years, the number of errors on our end have totaled zero. The integrity of the Match is extremely important, as it involves people's lives and careers. Participants need to be able to trust that it will be handled accurately, and it takes a lot of time and effort to ensure that we did it right.

One thing that happens before the Match is run is that everyone's Rank Order List is reviewed to try to catch mistakes that have been made. NMS has algorithms in place that are able to detect many of those errors, and it takes time to contact and actually reach busy people to fix those errors. We could easily take a "tough luck" attitude and chop off a few days of the wait if we didn't do that. But catching those mistakes is a life-changer for those involved. We think it's worth it.

Greg

Reactions: 25 users
Regarding the question about sites that have "complex requirements" for their rankings, you can get a sense of those possibilities at the NMS web site - click on the "Internships > Rankings" pull-down menu, then scroll to the section "Programs with Special Requirements."

There is no obligation for sites to disclose which of these approaches they might be using, just as there is no obligation for students to tell sites about how they approach their ranking decisions or any special procedures that they might use (e.g., the special procedures for couples).

The actual "matching" via the computer takes a few minutes. But it takes a week of 16+ hours/day on the part of multiple people at NMS to prepare for that moment, and another week afterwards to prepare for Match Day. If an organization is diagnosable, NMS has an Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder, which, if you think about it, is the exact disorder you want them to have given the work that they do. Every year, after Match Day, there are a number of students and sites who contact me, saying that the Match results that they received must be wrong. We investigate every one of those by manually reviewing all Rank Order Lists involved. To date, in twenty years, the number of errors on our end have totaled zero. The integrity of the Match is extremely important, as it involves people's lives and careers. Participants need to be able to trust that it will be handled accurately, and it takes a lot of time and effort to ensure that we did it right.

One thing that happens before the Match is run is that everyone's Rank Order List is reviewed to try to catch mistakes that have been made. NMS has algorithms in place that are able to detect many of those errors, and it takes time to contact and actually reach busy people to fix those errors. We could easily take a "tough luck" attitude and chop off a few days of the wait if we didn't do that. But catching those mistakes is a life-changer for those involved. We think it's worth it.

Greg
What can we say, we would all totally fail the marshmellow test.

In all seriousness, thank you for this post and for your patience with our anxiety and silliness. We all appeciate you and the work that you're doing. I toast you with my Bailey's shoe!!

youcNcH.jpg

Reactions: 12 users

Greg
Complaining and jokes aside, thank you for everything you (individual and collective 'you') put into making this a success. After having a couple of irrationally panicked moments that I must have messed up/not actually certified/somehow inadvertently ruined my own life with ranking errors, I appreciate knowing that such effort is put into catching mistakes. The wait will be excruciating no matter how much longer or shorter it is.

Also, the fact that you have graced us with your ethereally-perceived presence here is such a gift. You've become quite the psychology celebrity and your biggest fanbase is certainly this #forumfam!

Reactions: 8 users

Greg
Thanks so much for all of this information! The website regarding special requirements was very informative. Thanks for that! Also, I hope that my recent response to you was not interpreted as "complain-y," as that was certainly not my intention or my current attitude about the process.

I'll admit I was a bit baffled earlier in the application process about why the matching algorithm part of things would take 2.5 weeks, so it's quite possible or probable that some of my earlier posts were more complain-y and whiny. However, as I've learned more about what all goes on behind the scenes over recent weeks, it makes complete sense.

My most recent post was motivated truly by curiosity and I strongly echo @ICantStopHittingRefresh's sentiment of great appreciation and delight at you taking the time to respond here, and also profound appreciation at your continual hard work during the process to keep everything functioning smoothly and accurately and everyone informed.

With gratitude,
Hawkeye

Last edited:
So this means that I technically am already matched or not matched! OMG the stress is real.

As some of you can probably tell from my random liking activity, I've gone back to reread some old comments.

To Greg: I'm sorry. :oops: :sheepish:

To the rest of you: Y'all a mess. :rofl:

As some of you can probably tell from my random liking activity, I've gone back to reread some old comments.

To Greg: I'm sorry. :oops: :sheepish:

To the rest of you: Y'all a mess. :rofl:

What?! STOP THAT NOW (said with firm affection)! Go do something nice for yourself and stay in the present...we made this a safe space to verbally vomit about what we were going through and this process is a beast. I can certainly say it did not bring out the best in me at all times (or ever, really). 6 more days until I can (maybe) go back to being a better version of myself (one that does not self-care with Cheetos, alcohol, and who actually exercises for stress-relief)...or until the stress ramps up even further but lets not even go there...

giphy.gif

*edit...I read that as "Ya'll I'M a mess"! I just made your point...I can't even read anymore!!! :smack::lol: