SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by ForTheLoveOfPsych, Nov 1, 2017.

1. ReallyFutureDrLove

ReallyFutureDrLove

Dec 12, 2017
    Oh and now of course the ex is bringing me back to court because he wants the restraining order gone. I need to go to prac that day, this is ridiculous!!!!!!!!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ICantStopHittingRefresh

ICantStopHittingRefresh

Nov 17, 2017
    :mad: It's horrible that this is happening at all, let alone now. Take care of yourself.

4. ICantStopHittingRefresh

ICantStopHittingRefresh

Nov 17, 2017
    I found this when I googled "14 day countdown". I did NOT make this myself.
    [​IMG]

5. perhaps11

perhaps11 5+ Year Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Anyone else feeling super burned out on clinical work right about now?

6. slaney

slaney

Oct 24, 2017
    Or just work in general?
    [​IMG]

7. perhaps11

perhaps11 5+ Year Member

Jan 11, 2012
    I’m actually loving my dissertation work right now! However, on the clinical side of things, I’m struggling a bit with compassion fatigue. Most of my clients are severe DBT clients (whom I typically adore!), and while I’m usually able to find that kernel of truth behind otherwise intense and inappropriate displays of hostility/aggression in session, lately (and internally) I’ve just been like…

[​IMG]

8. PsyGal192

PsyGal192

Dec 6, 2017
    I feel the same way, it’s almost like I want to put my life on pause till match day but likeeeee that’s so not realistic :( time is going by so slow it seems but also normal!! Ahhh what is going on haha

Mega.N and OpalinePhoenix like this.
  9. thisgirl

thisgirl

Nov 19, 2017
  10. thisgirl

thisgirl

Nov 19, 2017
    so much so that it has occurred to me that at least getting the flu would be a way to avoid responsibilities and pass time

11. ToneTone

ToneTone 5+ Year Member

Jan 29, 2012
    You could also give yourself food poisoning instead of waiting for the flu to hit you...

12. perhaps11

perhaps11 5+ Year Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Amazing. I got a nasty sinus infection and that was my exact thought. Damn this process is brutal...

onwardsandup and thisgirl like this.
  13. thisgirl

thisgirl

Nov 19, 2017
    oh what a beautiful day to ruminate about all the stupid things i said/did in interviews

14. affectiveH3art

affectiveH3art 5+ Year Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Like? I know I said quite a few silly things:

When asked about a case conceptualization I missed out on like 50% of information.

When the interviewers asked if I had missed anything I replied “yep, I probably did but since I can’t think right now- I’ll leave it at that”

I was a little offended during one interview when they asked something about my ethnic background... and they didn’t seem impressed with it either. “I’m Latina” “like what country?” “The United States” “no... what country?” “Uhhhh California?” It put me in an odd spot. Microaggressions a bit perhaps

“What do you do for self-care?” “I schedule it” crazy looks.... “no, like what” “ohhhhhh!” *dork reply*

“Any questions for me?”.... “nope, I know I should have some but my brain is not working at the moment” - I literally said that.

I have more probably....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Irielennon and traumamama like this.
  15. ICantStopHittingRefresh

ICantStopHittingRefresh

Nov 17, 2017
    What country?!?!?! :wtf: Yes, microaggression. NOT okay.

16. OpalinePhoenix

OpalinePhoenix 5+ Year Member

Jan 18, 2013
    That is LUDICROUS. Wtf. I wouldn't want to go to a site that would do that. How dare they!

Side note: I love that you were just super honest about your brain functioning with them! I'd be all about that as an interviewer.

17. affectiveH3art

Sep 15, 2012
    Oh I was extremely honest with every interviewer! It got me through and kept them laughing, which helped.

OpalinePhoenix and ToneTone like this.
  18. ToneTone

ToneTone 5+ Year Member

Jan 29, 2012
    At like 1 am this morning this conversation took place because of anxiety:
    Me: I’m going to need you to be here the morning of match. I don’t care what trip your bff wants to randomly go on.
    Bf: what if he wants to go surfing?!
    Me: I don’t care.
    Bf: o_O
    Me: Yeah. It’s important.
    Bf: what day is match again?
    Me: 23rd
    Bf: :eek: how many more days of this?!?!

19. perhaps11

perhaps11 5+ Year Member

Jan 11, 2012
    I'm pretty sure the that question about your ethnic background is pretty close to what Greg might deem to be an illegal question...

20. Hawkeye11

Hawkeye11

Sep 3, 2016
    Unless an interviewee offers the information without such questions, I'm pretty sure asking questions along those lines isn't close to illegal; it is illegal. And not like "against APPIC rules" illegal, but "against U.S. law" illegal.

21. Sherlocked221

Sherlocked221

Nov 27, 2017
    Anyone else feeling like..."Can't we just cancel class and let me lay in bed hiding from the world for the next two weeks???"

22. slaney

slaney

Oct 24, 2017
    My days have now become organized around when the Olympics are on. They're about all that's getting me to at least sorta focus in on work during the day.

23. Sherlocked221

Sherlocked221

Nov 27, 2017

I'm basically just trudging through my days hoping for the next time I get to go home, put on PJs, and watch reruns of law and order SVU until i fall asleep. Even my sessions are a bit lackluster. I think it's burnout. I'm like...oh...so and so patient is back in the hospital's inpatient unit...welp...guess i have an hour long break now. :claps:

24. thisgirl

thisgirl

Nov 19, 2017
    oh good mine are similar ha

missing things entirely in vignettes
    regret my answer in one
    making candid comments like you said but perceiving it ill-received

i'm probably catastrophizing/imagining about 70% of it haha

25. calimich

calimich Assistant Professor Psychologist Faculty 2+ Year Member

Nov 22, 2013
    California
    Ugh. Also Latino (and California!) and I was looking for native Spanish speaking supervisors during internship. I asked every site whether they could offer supervision in Spanish...and got a few cringe-worthy answers.

At one site the TD replied something like, "I only know the most important Spanish phrases -- how to order another beer and how to ask where the bathroom is." The other interviewers laughed and I was speechless. Another site, again the TD I think, replied something like, "I speak enough Spanish so that I could tell a 2-year old to sit down and be quiet." Again, laughter from the other interviewers and crickets from me. I'm not even sure what they meant by that comment.

IIRC, the after-match survey explicitly asks about inappropriate questions/interactions during interviews -- I hope you'll share your experience there too.

26. OpalinePhoenix

Jan 18, 2013
    Things like this and @affectiveH3art 's experience horrify me. For a profession centered on relating with and helping people, how? That's rhetorical - I know how, unfortunately, but it's sickening.

modestmousktr and Hawkeye11 like this.
  27. thefreudianslip

thefreudianslip

Nov 10, 2017
    Don't hate me, but this may or may not feed into everyone's anxiety...Match Day!

28. affectiveH3art

Sep 15, 2012
    Welcome to my life.

29. affectiveH3art

Sep 15, 2012
    Unfortunately, that’s common for us brown folk. Lol at least from my experience. Especially in this field.

calimich likes this.
  30. PsychDreams

PsychDreams 7+ Year Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Also a California Latina. Hi guys!!! Oh man, the stories I could share about people in this field...

During internship interviews someone asked me “where I was from” and when I didn’t give them the answer they were fishing for, changed tactics and asked where my parents were from.

calimich likes this.
  31. OpalinePhoenix

Jan 18, 2013
    This is not shocking to me, but it is deeply disappointing. I'm sorry that's your constant experience. We have so incredibly far to go.

Hawkeye11 likes this.
  32. Hawkeye11

Hawkeye11

Sep 3, 2016
    I'm very sorry that happens. @MCParent has posted in these forums before about a paper he published about innapropriate interview questions. Link to paper.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    MCParent likes this.
  33. affectiveH3art

Sep 15, 2012
    Cali Latina!!!! Awesome! Born in Cali and raised in Texas!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  34. MCParent

MCParent Faculty Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Ugh. Gross. Unfortunately not uncommon though.

Neurogoals and FreudianSlipper like this.
  35. Sherlocked221

Sherlocked221

Nov 27, 2017

Ugh! I feel that! I wasn’t about spending interviews explaining to people where I was from so I just made it very clear where I was from with a persoal statement where in the second sentence it says that I immigrated from Cuba to the US. Of course then I had an interviewer who was like trying to probe into how I felt during my acculturation when I first got here (I was 2 1/2 years old) and when I gave a sort of eh response about trying to adapt to the two languages she was like yes but how did you really feel. Like lady I was 2 The best I can offer you is an educated guess about how I might have felt -___-

Neurogoals likes this.
  36. My gosh. Not only is it insensitive and microaggressive, but sounds oddly like a therapy session...what is wrong with these people?

Neurogoals and Sherlocked221 like this.
  37. affectiveH3art

Sep 15, 2012
    Oh LAWDY!

Neurogoals likes this.
  38. OpalinePhoenix

Jan 18, 2013
    It makes me want you all to just stare at them and be like, "Norway. I'm from Norway."

39. Sherlocked221

Sherlocked221

Nov 27, 2017
    I think people forget how to be normal
    Humans during interviews on both sides but some people are extra.

Hawkeye11 likes this.
  40. thisgirl

thisgirl

Nov 19, 2017
    Is it just me or has time stopped moving

41. affectiveH3art

Sep 15, 2012
    I know!!! I loathe getting out of bed and want to sleep all day... And to think, I have such a nice schedule for the first time in 5 years (9-3pm w/ lunch) and it is sooooo painful. Like HURRY UP! It doesn't help I am "supposed" to be working on dissertation, which is pretty laughable.

42. Internship_Journey

Internship_Journey

Dec 4, 2017
    Today is January 45th.

Mega.N, slaney, onwardsandup and 5 others like this.
  43. Internship_Journey

Internship_Journey

Dec 4, 2017
    Does anyone have any coping strategies that they can lend me? Thanks in advance... :meh:

44. affectiveH3art

Sep 15, 2012

Attached Files:

45. slaney

slaney

Oct 24, 2017
    I had popcorn and boxed wine for dinner, so no, no I do not

46. TotalFailurePhD

TotalFailurePhD

Nov 22, 2017
    When my DCT asks, "So, you all set for next Friday?"