2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can I just say, I love that our Facebook group is popping AND this forum is too!

edit: Also, love that other people think this too hahaha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
If you receive this message prior to checking for your Match result online, there is no need for you to also check your Match result online, as the information provided online is the same as in this message.

As if I won't immediately check to make sure there wasn't a mistake... :smack:

Reactions: 3 users
are-we-there-yet.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did change one rank right before the deadline! It was a rank on the bottom half of my list that I moved from being last to third from last.
I almost did this, but I got this horrifying premonition that I would change something at the last minute, then my internet would crash before I could certify it, and I'd miss the deadline.
TSrMmuU.jpg

I almost did this, but I got this horrifying premonition that I would change something at the last minute, then my internet would crash before I could certify it, and I'd miss the deadline.
TSrMmuU.jpg
That’s exactly why I stopped touching mine!

Reactions: 4 users
Special shout out to my classmates who initiated a whole discussion during last night's class about SDN and this forum, both about our collective anxiety as well some ways in which we were helpful during this process. :hello:

MRW when someone referenced a post I made and I didn't reveal that it was me:
Picard-Giggle-Face.gif

Reactions: 10 users
Special shout out to my classmates who initiated a whole discussion during last night's class about SDN and this forum, both about our collective anxiety as well some ways in which we were helpful during this process. :hello:

Picard-Giggle-Face.gif
I love everything about this!

Picard-Giggle-Face.gif
I think you just outed yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
That’s exactly why I stopped touching mine!

I definitely also had that thought/fear! BUT I did the whole imagine how you'd feel if you matched at each site thing (just to check my rankings for the one millionth time), I realized that I definitely needed to move up that rank. And that outweighed my fear of the internet breaking :) I hadn't really thought about the "lower" ranks because I was agonizing over how to rank my top three site for the past week.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh and now of course the ex is bringing me back to court because he wants the restraining order gone. I need to go to prac that day, this is ridiculous!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else feeling super burned out on clinical work right about now?

I’m actually loving my dissertation work right now! However, on the clinical side of things, I’m struggling a bit with compassion fatigue. Most of my clients are severe DBT clients (whom I typically adore!), and while I’m usually able to find that kernel of truth behind otherwise intense and inappropriate displays of hostility/aggression in session, lately (and internally) I’ve just been like…

giphy.gif

I feel the same way, it’s almost like I want to put my life on pause till match day but likeeeee that’s so not realistic :( time is going by so slow it seems but also normal!! Ahhh what is going on haha

Reactions: 1 users
I feel the same way, it’s almost like I want to put my life on pause till match day but likeeeee that’s so not realistic :( time is going by so slow it seems but also normal!! Ahhh what is going on haha

so much so that it has occurred to me that at least getting the flu would be a way to avoid responsibilities and pass time

so much so that it has occurred to me that at least getting the flu would be a way to avoid responsibilities and pass time

You could also give yourself food poisoning instead of waiting for the flu to hit you...

Amazing. I got a nasty sinus infection and that was my exact thought. Damn this process is brutal...

oh what a beautiful day to ruminate about all the stupid things i said/did in interviews

Reactions: 12 users
oh what a beautiful day to ruminate about all the stupid things i said/did in interviews

Like? I know I said quite a few silly things:

When asked about a case conceptualization I missed out on like 50% of information.

When the interviewers asked if I had missed anything I replied “yep, I probably did but since I can’t think right now- I’ll leave it at that”

I was a little offended during one interview when they asked something about my ethnic background... and they didn’t seem impressed with it either. “I’m Latina” “like what country?” “The United States” “no... what country?” “Uhhhh California?” It put me in an odd spot. Microaggressions a bit perhaps

“What do you do for self-care?” “I schedule it” crazy looks.... “no, like what” “ohhhhhh!” *dork reply*

“Any questions for me?”.... “nope, I know I should have some but my brain is not working at the moment” - I literally said that.

I have more probably....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

When asked about a case conceptualization I missed out on like 50% of information.

When the interviewers asked if I had missed anything I replied “yep, I probably did but since I can’t think right now- I’ll leave it at that”

I was a little offended during one interview when they asked something about my ethnic background... and they didn’t seem impressed with it either. “I’m Latina” “like what country?” “The United States” “no... what country?” “Uhhhh California?” It put me in an odd spot. Microaggressions a bit perhaps

“What do you do for self-care?” “I schedule it” crazy looks.... “no, like what” “ohhhhhh!” *dork reply*

“Any questions for me?”.... “nope, I know I should have some but my brain is not working at the moment” - I literally said that.

I have more probably....

What country?!?!?! :wtf: Yes, microaggression. NOT okay.

I have more probably....

What country?!?!?! :wtf: Yes, microaggression. NOT okay.

That is LUDICROUS. Wtf. I wouldn't want to go to a site that would do that. How dare they!

Side note: I love that you were just super honest about your brain functioning with them! I'd be all about that as an interviewer.

That is LUDICROUS. Wtf. I wouldn't want to go to a site that would do that. How dare they!

Side note: I love that you were just super honest about your brain functioning with them! I'd be all about that as an interviewer.

Oh I was extremely honest with every interviewer! It got me through and kept them laughing, which helped.

At like 1 am this morning this conversation took place because of anxiety:
Me: I’m going to need you to be here the morning of match. I don’t care what trip your bff wants to randomly go on.
Bf: what if he wants to go surfing?!
Me: I don’t care.
Bf: o_O
Me: Yeah. It’s important.
Bf: what day is match again?
Me: 23rd
Bf: :eek: how many more days of this?!?!

I have more probably....

I'm pretty sure the that question about your ethnic background is pretty close to what Greg might deem to be an illegal question...

Reactions: 7 users
I'm pretty sure the that question about your ethnic background is pretty close to what Greg might deem to be an illegal question...
Unless an interviewee offers the information without such questions, I'm pretty sure asking questions along those lines isn't close to illegal; it is illegal. And not like "against APPIC rules" illegal, but "against U.S. law" illegal.

Anyone else feeling like..."Can't we just cancel class and let me lay in bed hiding from the world for the next two weeks???"

Reactions: 7 users
My days have now become organized around when the Olympics are on. They're about all that's getting me to at least sorta focus in on work during the day.

I'm basically just trudging through my days hoping for the next time I get to go home, put on PJs, and watch reruns of law and order SVU until i fall asleep. Even my sessions are a bit lackluster. I think it's burnout. I'm like...oh...so and so patient is back in the hospital's inpatient unit...welp...guess i have an hour long break now. :claps:

I have more probably....

oh good mine are similar ha

missing things entirely in vignettes
regret my answer in one
making candid comments like you said but perceiving it ill-received

i'm probably catastrophizing/imagining about 70% of it haha

Ugh. Also Latino (and California!) and I was looking for native Spanish speaking supervisors during internship. I asked every site whether they could offer supervision in Spanish...and got a few cringe-worthy answers.

At one site the TD replied something like, "I only know the most important Spanish phrases -- how to order another beer and how to ask where the bathroom is." The other interviewers laughed and I was speechless. Another site, again the TD I think, replied something like, "I speak enough Spanish so that I could tell a 2-year old to sit down and be quiet." Again, laughter from the other interviewers and crickets from me. I'm not even sure what they meant by that comment.

IIRC, the after-match survey explicitly asks about inappropriate questions/interactions during interviews -- I hope you'll share your experience there too.

Reactions: 5 users
Ugh. Also Latino (and California!) and I was looking for native Spanish speaking supervisors during internship. I asked every site whether they could offer supervision in Spanish...and got a few cringe-worthy answers.

At one site the TD replied something like, "I only know the most important Spanish phrases -- how to order another beer and how to ask where the bathroom is." The other interviewers laughed and I was speechless. Another site, again the TD I think, replied something like, "I speak enough Spanish so that I could tell a 2-year old to sit down and be quiet." Again, laughter from the other interviewers and crickets from me. I'm not even sure what they meant by that comment.

IIRC, the after-match survey explicitly asks about inappropriate questions/interactions during interviews -- I hope you'll share your experience there too.
Things like this and @affectiveH3art 's experience horrify me. For a profession centered on relating with and helping people, how? That's rhetorical - I know how, unfortunately, but it's sickening.

Unless an interviewee offers the information without such questions, I'm pretty sure asking questions along those lines isn't close to illegal; it is illegal. And not like "against APPIC rules" illegal, but "against U.S. law" illegal.

Welcome to my life.

Things like this and @affectiveH3art 's experience horrify me. For a profession centered on relating with and helping people, how? That's rhetorical - I know how, unfortunately, but it's sickening.

Unfortunately, that’s common for us brown folk. Lol at least from my experience. Especially in this field.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, that’s common for us brown folk. Lol at least from my experience. Especially in this field.

Also a California Latina. Hi guys!!! Oh man, the stories I could share about people in this field...

During internship interviews someone asked me “where I was from” and when I didn’t give them the answer they were fishing for, changed tactics and asked where my parents were from.

Also a California Latina. Hi guys!!! Oh man, the stories I could share about people in this field...

During internship interviews someone asked me “where I was from” and when I didn’t give them the answer they were fishing for, changed tactics and asked where my parents were from.

This is not shocking to me, but it is deeply disappointing. I'm sorry that's your constant experience. We have so incredibly far to go.

I'm very sorry that happens. @MCParent has posted in these forums before about a paper he published about innapropriate interview questions. Link to paper.

Last edited:

Cali Latina!!!! Awesome! Born in Cali and raised in Texas!

Last edited:

Ugh. Gross. Unfortunately not uncommon though.

Ugh! I feel that! I wasn’t about spending interviews explaining to people where I was from so I just made it very clear where I was from with a persoal statement where in the second sentence it says that I immigrated from Cuba to the US. Of course then I had an interviewer who was like trying to probe into how I felt during my acculturation when I first got here (I was 2 1/2 years old) and when I gave a sort of eh response about trying to adapt to the two languages she was like yes but how did you really feel. Like lady I was 2 The best I can offer you is an educated guess about how I might have felt -___-

Ugh! I feel that! I wasn’t about spending interviews explaining to people where I was from so I just made it very clear where I was from with a persoal statement where in the second sentence it says that I immigrated from Cuba to the US. Of course then I had an interviewer who was like trying to probe into how I felt during my acculturation when I first got here (I was 2 1/2 years old) and when I gave a sort of eh response about trying to adapt to the two languages she was like yes but how did you really feel. Like lady I was 2 The best I can offer you is an educated guess about how I might have felt -___-
My gosh. Not only is it insensitive and microaggressive, but sounds oddly like a therapy session...what is wrong with these people?

Oh LAWDY!