2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
-Neuropsychology Track
-Invite
-11/20
-Mass email
-12/4, 12/8, 12/14, 1/9, 1/12

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Name of site: The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.

Track: I’m not near my spreadsheet to double check, but if they had tracks it was ped/child psych
Rejection
Mass email
Date of notification 11/20 3:44pm Eastern
How I’m coping: well, I’m at the gym and still checking my phone...so yeah...
Joining the rejection club...

Edit: Wanted to add that I appreciated the news in the subject heading! (not sarcasm)

Reactions: 1 user
-University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
-Neuropsychology Track
-Invite
-11/20
-Mass email
-12/4, 12/8, 12/14, 1/9, 1/12
Ditto for Neuropsych track!!! Congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Joining the rejection club...

Edit: Wanted to add that I appreciated the news in the subject heading! (not sarcasm)

Yes I did too! There was no vagueness or brief moment of hope. haha. Congrats to those who are getting invites!

Yea I know.:( I had the same thought! I was hoping it was for a different site or wondering if they were sending out invites in waves like other sites have been. No news is good news? :drowning:

yes, the Memphis and Knoxville are completely different. They operate separately since Memphis is the Health Sciences Center.

-Full Site Name: VA Nebraska Western Iowa Psychology Internship
-Track: NWI Rotation Based - Lincoln VA
-Invite or rejection: Invite
-Date of Notification: 11/20 at 1:13 pm
-How You Were Notified: Personal email
-Interview Date(s): 1/4 and 1/5
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: Who said I was?

-Full Site Name: University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
-Track (if applicable): VA Funding Source
-Date of Notification: 11/20 at 2:46 pm
-How You Were Notified: Mass email
-Interview Date(s): 12/4, 12/8, 12/14, 1/9, 1/12
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: Same as above :)

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody else bothered by the fact that you can't see time of day in previous years' threads? No, just me?

Nothing to see here. I'm completely normal.

Not a neurotic APPIC/SDN Sherlock wannabe at all.

-Full Site Name: Duke University
-Track (if applicable): Adult CBT concentration
-Invite or rejection: Invite!!!!!!
-Date of Notification: 11/20 at 3:25 pm CST
-How You Were Notified: Mass email (with a DINOSAUR cartoon character in the signature, y'all I can't even!)
-Interview Date(s): 1/18/18
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: THERE WAS A DINOSAUR CARTOON CHARACTER IN THE SIGNATURE, I AM DONE :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: 11 users
RRJGPA

sitting at my computer today like

-Full Site Name: Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School
-Track (if applicable): Behavioral Medicine
-Date of Notification: 11/20
-Interview Date: 1/2 and 1/9

-Track (if applicable): Child
-Interview Date: 1/18/18 (*ONLY date)
-How You Were Notified: Mass email (with a DINOSAUR cartoon character in the signature, y'all I can't even!)
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: THERE WAS A DINOSAUR CARTOON CHARACTER IN THE SIGNATURE, I AM DONE :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Same here but Child track! Also had the little dino signature!!

Reactions: 5 users
GET IT GIRL!

Members don't see this ad :)
Full Site Name: Duke University Medical Center
Track (if applicable): Adult CBT
Invite or rejection: Invite
Date of Notification: 11/20
How You Were Notified: Mass email
Interview Dates: 1/18

Full Site Name: Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center
Track (if applicable): Serious Mental Illness and Recovery/Interpersonal Approaches to Wellness
Date of Notification: 11/20/17
How You Were Notified: Personal email
Interview Dates: 12/15, 1/5

Full Site Name: U. of Rochester Medical Center
Track (if applicable): Adult
Interview Dates: 12/6, 12/20, 1/3, 1/17

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
-Track (if applicable): Child
-Interview Date: 1/18/18 (*ONLY date)

Same here but Child track! Also had the little dino signature!!
YAYYYYY!! Congrats to y'all!!! But really, though, I have so many questions about this dinosaur. Like, what is it? What is it about? At first I thought it might be the Duke mascot, but I looked it up and that's actually a "Blue Devil"....whatever that is. So really, tell me more about this dinosaur. I can see it now, I'ma be at my interview and they're gonna say "do you have any other questions for us?" and I'll be like, "yeah, can you find out about that purple dinosaur in the email signature?" And then they'll love me and want to keep me forever because I'm just so delightful.

GET IT GIRL!
Thanks!!!

Reactions: 8 users
YAYYYYY!! Congrats to y'all!!! But really, though, I have so many questions about this dinosaur. Like, what is it? What is it about? At first I thought it might be the Duke mascot, but I looked it up and that's actually a "Blue Devil"....whatever that is. So really, tell me more about this dinosaur. I can see it now, I'ma be at my interview and they're gonna say "do you have any other questions for us?" and I'll be like, "yeah, you can you find out about that purple dinosaur in the email signature?" And then they'll love me and want to keep me forever because I'm just so delightful.

Be my friend

Full Site Name: Texas Child Study Center
-Track : Pediatric/Integrated Care Track
- Invite
-Date of Notification: 11/17/17
-Person email
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: Tv. Tv. and more Tv.

Congrats! I am also wondering if anyone heard from them after Friday or if they are sending out rejections?

Long time lurker, first time poster here.... the anxiety is driving me out of the shadows :)

For the University of Florida Health Science Ctr invite folks: has anyone gotten confirmation of their interview date yet? Trying to keep both requested dates free but its getting challenging with more invites coming in (obvs super excited to have this problem)!

YAYYYYY!! Congrats to y'all!!! But really, though, I have so many questions about this dinosaur. Like, what is it? What is it about? At first I thought it might be the Duke mascot, but I looked it up and that's actually a "Blue Devil"....whatever that is. So really, tell me more about this dinosaur. I can see it now, I'ma be at my interview and they're gonna say "do you have any other questions for us?" and I'll be like, "yeah, can you find out about that purple dinosaur in the email signature?" And then they'll love me and want to keep me forever because I'm just so delightful.

Thanks!!!

You are killing it today!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!

Long time lurker, first time poster here.... the anxiety is driving me out of the shadows :)

For the University of Florida Health Science Ctr invite folks: has anyone gotten confirmation of their interview date yet? Trying to keep both requested dates free but its getting challenging with more invites coming in (obvs super excited to have this problem)!
I haven't heard back yet either. Hopefully they'll send an update soon - how exciting that you have lots of interviews coming in!!

No confirmation as of yet, but my neurotic self just emailed them again saying I could no longer do 2 of the dates and asking for some confirmation of sorts. Hoping to hear back soon. But definitely a good problem to have!

Congrats! I am also wondering if anyone heard from them after Friday or if they are sending out rejections?
Yeah same Question here. It seemed it was just that one Friday morning post...hopefully I will hear something soon..complete radio silence hearing nothing from any of my sites is getting harder and harder to handle...

I haven't heard back yet either. Hopefully they'll send an update soon - how exciting that you have lots of interviews coming in!!
Phew! Okay.
No confirmation as of yet, but my neurotic self just emailed them again saying I could no longer do 2 of the dates and asking for some confirmation of sorts. Hoping to hear back soon. But definitely a good problem to have!
Awesome. Thanks guys! Making my neurotic heart feel a little better over here. Fingers crossed they get in touch soon. And best of luck to everyone on the boards here!

-Full Site Name: Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School
-Track (if applicable): Behavioral Medicine
-Interview Date: 1/2 and 1/9
Congratulations! are you PhD or psyd?

Radio silence over here. Maybe they'll come in waves?

That's what I am hoping. It seems like last year they did eventually send out rejections as well. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Gladly!! :)

Thanks!! It seems like this has been a good day for many!! Congrats all around!!!
Slaney, everything about you is improving my life tenfold. Thanks for your contributions to this sanity thread. All of 'em.

Reactions: 6 users
That's what I am hoping. It seems like last year they did eventually send out rejections as well. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Fingers and toes crossed! Maybe we should walk around and tell everyone we meet to cross their fingers too? As you can see, my sanity is dwindling.

Slaney, everything about you is improving my life tenfold. Thanks for your contributions to this sanity thread. All of 'em.
I feel like I have trained my whole life for this moment of internship craziness.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah same Question here. It seemed it was just that one Friday morning post...hopefully I will hear something soon..complete radio silence hearing nothing from any of my sites is getting harder and harder to handle...

You and me both, my friend. You're not alone.

Ok, so the only sites I have any hope of hearing from early this week (hope as in, they might make contact, not as in I'm a good candidate :laugh:) are:

1) Medical College of Georgia-Charlie Norwood VA, and
2) University of Utah Neuropsychiatric Institute.

Any fellow "waiters" on either of these sites?

Waiting on U of Utah with ya!
Also really keeping fingers crossed that the other tracks of UCLA Semel Institute have just not been sent out yet since that's a top site for me!! Anyone from a track other than child neuropsych hear back? If it was a mass email I'm worried it went to everyone invited across track preference :/

-Full Site Name - UCSD/VA
-Track (if applicable) - None listed, applied to child track.
-Invite or rejection - Invite!
-Date of Notification - 11/20/17
-How You Were Notified (mass email, personal email, phone) - Mass email
-If/How Staying Sane - Long past that point!!
-Interview Dates: 1/8-1/12

Reactions: 8 users
Nope, totally with you there on this one. And omg, thank you for asking about the time because I was just about to do the same thing hahah
Sorry I missed this! I'm new to non-lurking haha. I got the email at 2pm EST, but I definitely know other really qualified people who applied to other tracks and haven't heard anything yet so I bet you're right- your track is coming!!

-Full Site Name - UCSD/VA
-Track (if applicable) - None listed, applied to child track.
-Invite or rejection - Invite!
-Date of Notification - 11/20/17
-How You Were Notified (mass email, personal email, phone) - Mass email
-If/How Staying Sane - Long past that point!!
-Interview Dates: 1/8-1/12
Ahh same here-- saw your post and got scared but went to my email and it was there! **miracles**

Sorry I missed this! I'm new to non-lurking haha. I got the email at 2pm EST, but I definitely know other really qualified people who applied to other tracks and haven't heard anything yet so I bet you're right- your track is coming!!

Thanks for the info!!

Solidarity sister! I'll be pumping on interviews too (if I get any invites!) I don't have any advice but love what folks have been saying. I was on the interview circuit last year when I found out I was pregnant with my second baby. I was screening my sites for family-friendliness. I asked point-blank about work-life balance and whether other interns we're parents. It was really telling to see how folks (current interns and training faculty) answered!

Thank you! What were some of the telling/not so telling negative reactions you got?

I feel like I have trained my whole life for this moment of internship craziness.
Omg, I know. I am coping in GIFs and memes. What did previous generations do?!?

tumblr_inline_ms95f487fZ1qz4rgp.gif

Full Site Name: Primary Children's Hospital
Track (if applicable): Adolescent Residential/Day Treatment Program + Department of Pediatric Behavioral Health Rotation
How You Were Notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Mass email
Interview Date(s): 01/08, 01/09, 01/19

Full Site Name: Southeast Louisiana Veterans Health Care System
Track (if applicable): N/A - all general
How You Were Notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Semi-personalized email? It had my name, but looked like a form.
Interview Date(s): Thursday 1/4; Friday 1/5; Monday 1/8; and Tuesday 1/9.

Missouri Health Sciences Psychology consortium
Track: Truman va
Invite
11/20/17
Phone call (actually a voicemail because I was in session)
Interview dates: 1/5; 1/12; 1/19

Thank you! What were some of the telling/not so telling negative reactions you got?
I'm happy to say I didn't get any outright negative responses, just a few folks saying they couldn't think of any previous interns who had kids, which I took as a not-so-great sign. One training director answered my question by saying that it's hard balancing work and family, and talked about the importance of not taking work home. Although I was intimidated by the standard work hours at that site, I did appreciate his honesty.

I agree with this - hope I get to interview with Slaney just to meet your awesome self in person!

Full Site Name: University of California - Irvine University Counseling Center
Track (if applicable): N/A
Invite or rejection: Invite!
How You Were Notified: Phone call
Interview Date(s): Wed. 12/13, Thur. 12/14, Fri. 12/15, Mon. 12/18 (Phone or Video)

Daaahhhh ok so Duke has sent out invites for the Adult CBT & Child tracks...anyone heard about the Adult Health track yet? I'm dying over here.

Will update later, but NYU Bellevue!

Full Site Name: NYU-Bellevue
Track (if applicable): Child and Adolescent Psychology Track
Invite or rejection: Invite!
Interview Date(s): 12/4

Last edited:
Is anyone holding out any hope that mass emails come in waves - even for the same track? I feel like I should prepare myself for a rejection but I don't want to and I'm really bummed about Nemours =(

Is anyone holding out any hope that mass emails come in waves - even for the same track? I feel like I should prepare myself for a rejection but I don't want to and I'm really bummed about Nemours =(

Same exact thing
I’m holding out a little hope
You never know
But also preparing